B/O 4600 Hiring Process

Message added by +Young+

BUS OPERATOR #4600

List Status Update: 1/16/22 The list for this specific exam has been extended to January 6th, 2024.

Training: See the DOB New Hire FAQ topic for more information.

Next Scheduled Class: You will be scheduled with candidates of more recent Bus Operator exams (which are pinned), so check those threads for more information.

For those of you who wish to restore your name to the list, you must do so by sending an e-mail to certificationunit@dcas.nyc.gov. In your e-mail, state your full name, exam number, list number, the last four of your social security number, and a brief reason why you're restoring your name to the list. You don't have to go into full detail in the e-mail.

For those who will be reporting to Livingston Street in the future, click here for the pre-employment packet and click here or for extra pages of the CPD-B booklet (if you need them) for final processing.

Next, for those of you who are still waiting, you folks might want to check out this and this YouTube video. In addition, if you need help getting your Class B CLP (Commercial Learner's Permit), I would encourage you to check out cristcdl.com which is free!! Remember, the multiple-choice tests you need to take and pass, at minimum, are General Knowledge, Air Brakes and Passenger Endorsement.

Finally, if you need to make an appointment at the DMV to take the multiple-choice examinations for your Commercial Learner's Permit, click here.

If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to ask. We're here to help each other.

Good luck!

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The MTA Dept of buses safety department hands picks these 19a Superintendent Driver instructors out of the dispatcher Supervisor pool based on attitude and skills. The majority of the time its who knows who. So yes, they love a tough superintendent who is willing to show tough love when it comes to accepting new operators in the field. Even if your instructor is acting tough, it's part of his/her job to make sure you either can do this job their way or the highway. Months later, if god forbid you get into an accident, the General Supt and Safety comity review who were the instructor that qualified the operator and view their day to day training notes. Keep in mind the MTA is hoping and trusting the Supt instructor making a right decision based on driving skills and operating the bus safely. As a trainee its best to come with a positive attitude that you willing to learn and get the job by demonstrating what you have learned and executing it. "Being insulted verbally is a no no."

I'm getting a little more comfortable but the instructor is such a jerk and doesn't know how to talk to us. There's one guy on my bus who already has his CDL and thinks he's a know it all. The instructor keeps ripping him to shreds on purpose lol. He used to drive for Jersey Transit but this is not Jersey, this is MTA. He doesn't get that and I think they probably won't pass him because he's a know it all and argumentative. As far as me.....I'm doing better with my turns, securing the bus and protecting the back. I'm driving in the city so it's not as easy because it's a lot more congested than the other boroughs. I have to remember to call out my hazards, pre trip and Aslaps. They literally want you to call out everything. If you see an ant crossing in the middle of the street, you better call that out or else you're getting yelled at smh.

What are Aslaps? When u say pretrip u mean the indoor n outdoor inspection like tread depth emergency exit secure stuff like that?

Alsaps is the air break test. Each letter is abbreviated for the 6 steps. A for air leakage test. L for low warning system check. S for spring emergency test. A for air build up. P for parking break test and S for service break test. The 6 steps of the air brakes test. You will learn it.

Edited by YoungNYCSubwayFan
correction...

138/87?.. that should be passable no?

well , medical tomo guys, hope to get through tomo as smoothly as possible

Alsaps is the air break test. Each letter is abbreviated for the 6 steps. A for air leakage test. L for low warning system check. A for spring emergency test. A for air build up. P for parking break test and S for service break test. The 6 steps of the air brakes test. You will learn it.

this involves alot of break pumping lol 

The MTA Dept of buses safety department hands picks these 19a Superintendent Driver instructors out of the dispatcher Supervisor pool based on attitude and skills. The majority of the time its who knows who. So yes, they love a tough superintendent who is willing to show tough love when it comes to accepting new operators in the field. Even if your instructor is acting tough, it's part of his/her job to make sure you either can do this job their way or the highway. Months later, if god forbid you get into an accident, the General Supt and Safety comity review who were the instructor that qualified the operator and view their day to day training notes. Keep in mind the MTA is hoping and trusting the Supt instructor making a right decision based on driving skills and operating the bus safely. As a trainee its best to come with a positive attitude that you willing to learn and get the job by demonstrating what you have learned and executing it. "Being insulted verbally is a no no."

Interesting...I believe 100% what you're saying, however I just find it hard to believe this since my instructor from February of 2014 out of the Flatbush Depot never wore his seat belt until I opened my mouth about it, in addition accusing me of opening up my right when there was a vehicle parked adjacent to the right rear tires of the bus, in addition to other things...

My question is do I really need a doctor note that my bp r ok? Btw it only high because I was waiting anxiously for hours. My first take was 138/87 but rest r in 142/93

138/87?.. that should be passable no?

My left was 141/93 lol

From what I remember, 110/70 to 130/90 is acceptable. Anything below or above this requires a doctor's note. It's also better to be on the safe side too!!

Thank you bxvixen for the update but I can tell you they are well pass number 235 as far as processing. That is the last appointed that they are making public. I (number 20x) was just appointed yesterday and start training on 8/22 and there was at least one other person with me in the 300 range and last Friday when I went in for medical I was sitting next to a guy with a 500 number. I have also read people on this forum in the 700-800 range that have either received pre-employment letter or were waiting for medical.  They seem to be all over the place with this list.

Thank you bxvixen for the update but I can tell you they are well pass number 235 as far as processing. That is the last appointed that they are making public. I (number 20x) was just appointed yesterday and start training on 8/22 and there was at least one other person with me in the 300 range and last Friday when I went in for medical I was sitting next to a guy with a 500 number. I have also read people on this forum in the 700-800 range that have either received pre-employment letter or were waiting for medical.  They seem to be all over the place with this list.

thats amazing...thanks so much...so im gonna go get my permit sometime next week...this is great news because I need this job...im numer 47x so hopefully they will get to me sooner than I expected........

oh yes... if you are in the 47x range, get cracking on your permit immediately.  Those tests are not as easy as you may think especially the air brakes and passenger. In addition as many in the past have mentioned, study the school bus questions too, they include some questions into the passenger exam that are covered in the school bus section of the CDL manual. I also recommend that you get to the DMV early and don't make any plans that you have to rush off to after as you will need time to go over the questions carefully so DON'T RUSH, they try to trip you up with words in the question like "NOT" and "EXCEPT FOR", things like that. When I took my exam, I sat down and took my sweet time and read the questions a couple of times before answering. It took me 90-mins to complete all 4-exams (I chose to take the school bus exam too even though it is not required for MTA). Remember you need to pass the General, Air Brake and Passenger exams. Also choose the "EXCEPTED INTERSTATE" (EI) for your driving type as you will not have a medical card. Choosing the (EI) type will put the A3 restriction on the permit which is what the MTA prefers. (EI) just means medical exemption. Driving for the MTA is a municipal job so the state medical exam will be required. To save time, download the MV-44 FORM here https://dmv.ny.gov/forms/mv44.pdf and fill it out before you go. They will require this form and make sure you take a couple of pens with you as they recently stopped offering pens at the DMV office which is a pain because then you have to go around begging people to a borrow a pen.

Good luck! 

Edited by BusDriverWannabe

I also recommend that you get to the DMV early and don't make any plans that you have to rush off to after as you will need time to go over the questions carefully so DON'T RUSH, they try to trip you up with words in the question like "NOT" and "EXCEPT FOR", things like that. When I took my exam, I sat down and took my sweet time and read the questions a couple of times before answering.

Tell me about it....last month, I took the endorsement test for Tow Truck & I passed....there were a couple of questions like this which were tricky, I had to stop and think in my mind what the question was asking before I selected an answer.

Good luck!!

Hi YoungNYC, I wanted to thank you and everyone on this forum. I have been on this topic for a few months and it has been both helpful and encouraging during this process. I am #20x. I got appointed yesterday and I report to Zerega on 8/22. Thanks to the information and advise you and others have posted I was able to be very prepared and everything went 100% smoothly for me, I even already have my CDL Class B License so I won't have the stress of passing the road test at the end. I will continue to monitor and post during my training so I can pay it forward for others as many have done for me. I wish good things for you YoungNYC and I am 100% positive you will knock it out of the park on your next chance to pass the training program, you have matured greatly and have been an inspiration to many of us. Everyone should be grateful to you for sharing your experiences and for spending so much time helping us on this site. THANK YOU!!!!

Hi YoungNYC, I wanted to thank you and everyone on this forum....

In all honesty, you just put a smile on my face...you're most welcome. Thank you for that wonderful written post.

Young, with the instructor and the seatbelt incident, did you let the instructor know about him not wearing his seatbelt or did you let his bosses know about it when you sent that letter to them?

I just let his bosses know...as a Superintendent, he should have known better. 

oh yes... if you are in the 47x range, get cracking on your permit immediately.  Those tests are not as easy as you may think especially the air brakes and passenger. In addition as many in the past have mentioned, study the school bus questions too, they include some questions into the passenger exam that are covered in the school bus section of the CDL manual. I also recommend that you get to the DMV early and don't make any plans that you have to rush off to after as you will need time to go over the questions carefully so DON'T RUSH, they try to trip you up with words in the question like "NOT" and "EXCEPT FOR", things like that. When I took my exam, I sat down and took my sweet time and read the questions a couple of times before answering. It took me 90-mins to complete all 4-exams (I chose to take the school bus exam too even though it is not required for MTA). Remember you need to pass the General, Air Brake and Passenger exams. Also choose the "EXCEPTED INTERSTATE" (EI) for your driving type as you will not have a medical card. Choosing the (EI) type will put the A3 restriction on the permit which is what the MTA prefers. (EI) just means medical exemption. Driving for the MTA is a municipal job so the state medical exam will be required. To save time, download the MV-44 FORM here https://dmv.ny.gov/forms/mv44.pdf and fill it out before you go. They will require this form and make sure you take a couple of pens with you as they recently stopped offering pens at the DMV office which is a pain because then you have to go around begging people to a borrow a pen.

Good luck! 

Thanks for the info Bussdriverwannabe but I am sort of  a step up in that process..i work for Access-a-Ride so I already have my C licence with pass endorsement, I need to do my air brakes for sure and I will do the school bus just in case. I have quite a lot of experience driving large vehicles beside the Access-a-ride bus, so as far as the road test I should be okay but I am not a great test taker. When I  first did my general and pass I failed twice..then I got it together on the third try. On one of my days off I am going to go for it. I do have a question for you in how much period of time does your B-permit expire, 6- months or a year? Because I heard it use to be a Year but they cut it down to 6 months.

Thanks for the info Bussdriverwannabe but I am sort of  a step up in that process..i work for Access-a-Ride so I already have my C licence with pass endorsement, I need to do my air brakes for sure and I will do the school bus just in case. I have quite a lot of experience driving large vehicles beside the Access-a-ride bus, so as far as the road test I should be okay but I am not a great test taker. When I  first did my general and pass I failed twice..then I got it together on the third try. On one of my days off I am going to go for it. I do have a question for you in how much period of time does your B-permit expire, 6- months or a year? Because I heard it use to be a Year but they cut it down to 6 months.

Hey......Its 6 months now. At first it use to be 1 year and you can renew it for another year. But things change now especially with DMV making things much more difficult to get. It seems now a lot of career movements has been link to CDL Requirements jobs.

By the way, What carier are you with in AAR?

Passed the medical yesterday!  :) .. was there all day, only thing was they didn't send me to final processing yet, they said to wait for the call to come back. I was sent for another drug test after the medical because my first one was due to expire in 2 weeks. I guess the 8/22 is filled already?  doesn't make sense  why they wouldn't hire me yesterday  :(  

Hey......Its 6 months now. At first it use to be 1 year and you can renew it for another year. But things change now especially with DMV making things much more difficult to get. It seems now a lot of career movements has been link to CDL Requirements jobs.

By the way, What carier are you with in AAR?

CBT in the Bronx..across the bridge from GVC.....I should have made the switch to GVC becsuse their starting rate is 50 cents more than us and they have 24hr shifts but at CBT I got the days off I wanted and when i need a day off they will work with you, so I stayed. Can you only renew once then you have to either take the road test or take the written all over again? 

CBT in the Bronx..across the bridge from GVC.....I should have made the switch to GVC becsuse their starting rate is 50 cents more than us and they have 24hr shifts but at CBT I got the days off I wanted and when i need a day off they will work with you, so I stayed. Can you only renew once then you have to either take the road test or take the written all over again?

Yeah GVC is owned by Maggies now. Not sure how many times can you renewal it with the 6 months limitation . My wife had the full one year and recently she renewed it and they gave her 6 months now.

Yeah GVC is owned by Maggies now. Not sure how many times can you renewal it with the 6 months limitation . My wife had the full one year and recently she renewed it and they gave her 6 months now.

well if my number is not called within the 6 month period I willing to go ahead n do the training and road test on my own...it doesn't really matter to me i just want to start the process..its funny because the only reason i decided to do AAR is because someone told me it would give me a leg up to getting hired to MTA...i should have known it was to good to be true..lol