B/O 4600 Hiring Process

Message added by +Young+

BUS OPERATOR #4600

List Status Update: 1/16/22 The list for this specific exam has been extended to January 6th, 2024.

Training: See the DOB New Hire FAQ topic for more information.

Next Scheduled Class: You will be scheduled with candidates of more recent Bus Operator exams (which are pinned), so check those threads for more information.

For those of you who wish to restore your name to the list, you must do so by sending an e-mail to certificationunit@dcas.nyc.gov. In your e-mail, state your full name, exam number, list number, the last four of your social security number, and a brief reason why you're restoring your name to the list. You don't have to go into full detail in the e-mail.

For those who will be reporting to Livingston Street in the future, click here for the pre-employment packet and click here or for extra pages of the CPD-B booklet (if you need them) for final processing.

Next, for those of you who are still waiting, you folks might want to check out this and this YouTube video. In addition, if you need help getting your Class B CLP (Commercial Learner's Permit), I would encourage you to check out cristcdl.com which is free!! Remember, the multiple-choice tests you need to take and pass, at minimum, are General Knowledge, Air Brakes and Passenger Endorsement.

Finally, if you need to make an appointment at the DMV to take the multiple-choice examinations for your Commercial Learner's Permit, click here.

If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to ask. We're here to help each other.

Good luck!

Hey guys, do you think we'll hear about the BOSS exam soon? Also, what is the BOSS exam that everyone is talking about consist of? Do I need to study for it? I got a 98 on the test but have not heard anything about my official score yet ( I know my score based on my answer choices from the exam and comparing them to the answer key). Should I have received a letter in the mail with my official score already for exam 4600?

thank you.

BrooklynMTA

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hello everyone seems like a ghost town in here lol. Looking forward in taking the BOSS exam and getting that over with. I have a question if someone can answer I will appreciate it. When you go in for pre employment and you have unpaid PARKING tickets will this disqualify you?

Hello everyone seems like a ghost town in here lol. Looking forward in taking the BOSS exam and getting that over with. I have a question if someone can answer I will appreciate it. When you go in for pre employment and you have unpaid PARKING tickets will this disqualify you?

If not disqualify, it will definitely be against you. I read somewhere in the B/O exam 2613 thread that a brand new B/O was hired, and, 6 months into his job the TA (since 2613 is for NYC Transit) discovered that he had a bunch of unpaid parking tickets and then shortly afterwards he was let go.

Long story short: Make sure you have a clean license when you go to 180 Livingston on the first day that you go down for the drug test cause they will pull up your abstract and check it each and every time, especially on the days in which you go for the drug test prior to medical. They do NOT play around down there.

Thank you so much for answering, on that note Ill make sure to pay off all parking tickets. Im gglad I have time to clear everything up before That day comes around. Young you have been extremely helpful and informative, and for that I thank you again. Have a bless weekend.

Thank you so much for answering, on that note Ill make sure to pay off all parking tickets. Im gglad I have time to clear everything up before That day comes around. Young you have been extremely helpful and informative, and for that I thank you again. Have a bless weekend.

You're most welcome. If you, or anyone else have any personal questions, please do not hesitate to send me a private message (PM).

So u only have to worry about passing the 10 day training. If u go to day "10" during training and u pass. U only get once chance to pass the dmv road test. Now what if u pass the training and fail the road test? U gonna wish u had gotten ya licnese on ya own.

So u only have to worry about passing the 10 day training. If u go to day "10" during training and u pass. U only get once chance to pass the dmv road test. Now what if u pass the training and fail the road test? U gonna wish u had gotten ya licnese on ya own.

if you fail the Dmv road test the Mta let's you go right there and then or at that point do they hold your spot and you have to get your license on your own?

Good evening everyone!

Just want to say that I am excited to be taking the next step on the road of possibly becoming a MTA bus operator!

I have a question, I know the BOSS exam is in October and was wondering has anyone received the letter explaining that they passed and were invited to take the test and where to go for the BOSS exam? I know it's still early in September but I just wanted to make sure

Thanks for any information!!

Dominick

Good evening everyone!

Just want to say that I am excited to be taking the next step on the road of possibly becoming a MTA bus operator!

I have a question, I know the BOSS exam is in October and was wondering has anyone received the letter explaining that they passed and were invited to take the test and where to go for the BOSS exam? I know it's still early in September but I just wanted to make sure

Dominick

you will get a letter about 2 week's before the actual exam date

if you fail the Dmv road test the Mta let's you go right there and then or at that point do they hold your spot and you have to get your license on your own?

I hate to break the bad news, but if you Qualify on Day 10 you only have one chance with the road test. If you fail, then you're terminated.

Good evening everyone!

Dominick

Like NewMatt said, you will get a letter 2 weeks before the actual exam date which will contain the date, time and location of the exam. As far as after the exam is over, you will only get a letter if you failed the exam. If you don't get a letter in which you failed the BOSS test, then you probably and most likely passed and your name will be on the 4600 list when it comes out, probably in late 2015.

We're now entering the second week of September as of Monday 9/8/14.  

For DMV related, I recently took my CDL Class B road test on my own. Passing the road test is all based on your skills and the Examiner mood.  Practice leads a good result. "Based on my preference" its probably less stressful to get the license on your own. Less thing to worry about during the 7-10 day training.

Congrats Duece!! I think that's the best route to go. MTA training will definitely be less stressful. I just took one lesson a few days ago and taking another tomorrow morning. Going to take the road test end of this month (if a spot is open, if not beginning of October). I agree with you that it depends on your skills and of course who the examiner is. The great thing about doing this well ahead of time is if you fail the road test, you can just schedule another and on and on until you pass. Just gotta pay the $40 fee + fee for using vehicle. It's all well worth it in my opinion.

On another topic, someone mentioned parking tickets, etc. I got a ticket for no stopping at a stop sign (kinda rolled through) last year. I assume if that's the only thing that comes up, shouldn't be an issue. My license has been clean other than that for many, many years. I know convictions are not automatic denial, so can't help but think that one traffic infraction wouldn't either.

Edited by hockeyplayer9

this may sound crazy but when going for cdl b license ive heard you dont need to know the under the hood inspection is that true ?is it just around and under the bus then the brake test before you pull out for the road test ? thanks in advance 

No Under the Hood Insepection. I will PM for futher details

this may sound crazy but when going for cdl b license ive heard you dont need to know the under the hood inspection is that true ?is it just around and under the bus then the brake test before you pull out for the road test ? thanks in advance 

Even when I went for my Class A License, I was not required to open the hood and do an inspection. Just the pre-trip, both exterior and interior, as well as the air brake test, for both the tractor and the trailer.

dude if I was you and your really considering the job I would get the CDL on your own... You don't want to be in training go for your road test and then fail it.

I hate to break the bad news, but if you Qualify on Day 10 you only have one chance with the road test. If you fail, then you're terminated.

Like NewMatt said, you will get a letter 2 weeks before the actual exam date which will contain the date, time and location of the exam. As far as after the exam is over, you will only get a letter if you failed the exam. If you don't get a letter in which you failed the BOSS test, then you probably and most likely passed and your name will be on the 4600 list when it comes out, probably in late 2015.

I have a gut feeling that they're going to finish the with the 2613 list in the late winter and start calling 4600 at about that time, maybe sooner, but thats purely my speculation. 

Edited by 161passenger

Thanks Duece!

As for as pre-trip, etc. the instructor I have right now has not mentioned under the hood inspection. He assures me everything he is showing me will be on the test and no surprises, etc.

I have done, as the others mentioned, inside & outside vehicle, but have not opened the hood.

I also thought there would be a post-trip inspection, but he said no.