B/O 4600 Hiring Process

Message added by +Young+

BUS OPERATOR #4600

List Status Update: 1/16/22 The list for this specific exam has been extended to January 6th, 2024.

Training: See the DOB New Hire FAQ topic for more information.

Next Scheduled Class: You will be scheduled with candidates of more recent Bus Operator exams (which are pinned), so check those threads for more information.

For those of you who wish to restore your name to the list, you must do so by sending an e-mail to certificationunit@dcas.nyc.gov. In your e-mail, state your full name, exam number, list number, the last four of your social security number, and a brief reason why you're restoring your name to the list. You don't have to go into full detail in the e-mail.

For those who will be reporting to Livingston Street in the future, click here for the pre-employment packet and click here or for extra pages of the CPD-B booklet (if you need them) for final processing.

Next, for those of you who are still waiting, you folks might want to check out this and this YouTube video. In addition, if you need help getting your Class B CLP (Commercial Learner's Permit), I would encourage you to check out cristcdl.com which is free!! Remember, the multiple-choice tests you need to take and pass, at minimum, are General Knowledge, Air Brakes and Passenger Endorsement.

Finally, if you need to make an appointment at the DMV to take the multiple-choice examinations for your Commercial Learner's Permit, click here.

If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to ask. We're here to help each other.

Good luck!

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

From Exam Administration

This is the New York City Transit calling to inform you that an admission letter has been mailed to you to take the Bus Operator Selection Survey (BOSS) for Bus Operator Exam, 4 6 0 0. The survey will be held on Saturday, October 4th at James Madison High School. Refer to your admission letter for your, scheduled time and location address. The survey is a part of the pre-employment process and all candidates must take the BOSS if instructed to do so. BOSS is a written job questionnaire it is not a test and you will not receive notification regarding the BOSS results. BOSS will not prevent you from receiving your official test results once the list is established. At this time we do not know when the list will be established. The admission letter is your ticket for admission for the survey. If you did not receive your admission letter by September 22nd, you should obtain a duplicate letter, at the MTA Exam Information Center, located in the lobby, at 1 8 0 Livingston Street, Brooklyn, NY 1 1 2 0 1, or call (3 4 7) 6 4 3, 7 2 2 1 or 7 2 2 2.

Yep same email

Hi guys, receive my admission letter for the BOSS exam yesterday. It says the boss exam is simply a questionnaire and wont be used to dictate your list number.  Whats the whole point of the BOSS exam then? Is it to show the MTA we are mentally capable of driving their big buses in NYC?

BTW, I got 4 questions wrong on the exam, I am a bit bummed out because I feel I could have done better. Is 4 questions wrong, a score of 93.3 good enough to get the call? Help!

Hi guys, receive my admission letter for the BOSS exam yesterday. It says the boss exam is simply a questionnaire and wont be used to dictate your list number.  Whats the whole point of the BOSS exam then? Is it to show the MTA we are mentally capable of driving their big buses in NYC?

BTW, I got 4 questions wrong on the exam, I am a bit bummed out because I feel I could have done better. Is 4 questions wrong, a score of 93.3 good enough to get the call? Help!

Hey @MTAhopeful1. Your list number will be place according to the written exam you took back in December. Scoring a 93 means a higher list number. Remember the passing score is 70. The Higher your score, the higher your list number will be, but that all determined how many applicants scored higher. People who took the written exam in December and passed will be required to take the BOSS exam in order to receive their list number. As it has been mention across the forum and many other threads regarding the BOSS exam. They are multiple questions  that are repeated a few times but worded and asked differently where you have to answer either Strongly Agree, Agree, Strongly Disagree, Disagree. The test is a survey that many retailer jobs provides to their applicant before they are appointed.  Candidates who pass the BOSS exam based on the actual score from the written exam they took back in December 2013 will determined where you are on the list. Anyone that fails the BOSS exam regardless if you passed the written exam  will be disqualified from the opportunity moving forward with MTA. 

I took the Survey before for exam 3101, They are not hard questions at all, it just being consistence with your answers. There's no wrong or right answers, but are you the type of applicant they are looking for. Well let me rephrase that.....They looking for the right answer they would want to hire.

Example Question: "Do you consider yourself a tidy person?"

(A) Strongly Agree , (B) Agree, (C) Neutral, (D) Strongly Disagree, (E) Disagree.

I got the call and e-mail about the BOSS exam, but haven't gotten the letter in the mail yet since that was sent to my parents' address... anyway, does anyone know if it's possible to take the BOSS exam on a different date given that I won't be in town that week or am I screwed?

I e-mailed NYC Transit a while back asking the same question, since my weekend job is seasonal. They sent me a reply informing me that this is a Civil Service exam (which I think is bull***t) and there is no way of re-scheduling. Therefore, unless you can be in town for the exam, I think you are screwed.

@Dom & Matt, Yes, taking the cdl driving classes with Jack at AAAA. Took 2 lessons, got 3 more to go. My road test is Oct. 3rd. Doing it well ahead of time in case I fail (don't think I will but I know anything can happen). This way I can just retake until i pass with plenty of time.

Like the others said, got a phone call too. Didn't get an email but thinking about it, changed my email a few months ago so that explains it.

Taking it Oct. 4th too.

@Dom & Matt, Yes, taking the cdl driving classes with Jack at AAAA. Took 2 lessons, got 3 more to go. My road test is Oct. 3rd. Doing it well ahead of time in case I fail (don't think I will but I know anything can happen). This way I can just retake until i pass with plenty of time.

Like the others said, got a phone call too. Didn't get an email but thinking about it, changed my email a few months ago so that explains it.

Taking it Oct. 4th too.

Awesome man good luck.

I have one more class myself with Jack. I am going to be signing up for the road test this week. I am a bit nervous, I think I will be fine but taking tests is not my thing. Just need to take the skills I learned from the training and just apply them to the road test.  :) I also like to get ahead of the game myself. Getting the CDL will open up another set of jobs for myself, which will be nice. I was thinking about possibly working for Island Charter or Pioneer or something else along the CDL line for the time being while I wait for MTA. We shall see! 

I still never received anything yet from transit about the Boss exam... I guess it's still early... Am I the only one on this boat? Is there anyone in here that still did not receive anything from transit about it??

No you are not the only one. I did not receive anything either. However, I did take the BOSS for MaBSTOA Exam # 3101 back in November of 2013, and if the results from that are good for an entire year, I may not be taking BOSS until November of 2014.

No you are not the only one. I did not receive anything either. However, I did take the BOSS for MaBSTOA Exam # 3101 back in November of 2013, and if the results from that are good for an entire year, I may not be taking BOSS until November of 2014.

I emailed the exam units asking about the BOSS exam that we took for MaBSTOA 3101, If we passed that already, would it be usable for any upcoming bus operator exams. What do you think?

I emailed the exam units asking about the BOSS exam that we took for MaBSTOA 3101, If we passed that already, would it be usable for any upcoming bus operator exams. What do you think?

Since BOSS is the same for NYC Transit, MaBSTOA and MTA Bus Company, I thought I read or heard somewhere that, if we pass the BOSS, the results are good for a year. Therefore, if we took BOSS in November of 2013 for MaBSOTA Bus Operator Exam # 3101, I think those results will be good in which we don't have to take BOSS for NYC Transit Bus Operator Exam # 4600. However, you may have to re-take it for MaBSTOA exam # 4105, which is going to be offered this upcoming November 15th.

Since BOSS is the same for NYC Transit, MaBSTOA and MTA Bus Company, I thought I read or heard somewhere that, if we pass the BOSS, the results are good for a year. Therefore, if we took BOSS in November of 2013 for MaBSOTA Bus Operator Exam # 3101, I think those results will be good in which we don't have to take BOSS for NYC Transit Bus Operator Exam # 4600. However, you may have to re-take it for MaBSTOA exam # 4105, which is going to be offered this upcoming November 15th.

if you hear any solid information about this from human resources I definitely would appreciate it... But I would assume that you would would have to take the boss exam anyway just do to the fact that it is a different bus operator exam number

if you hear any solid information about this from human resources I definitely would appreciate it... But I would assume that you would would have to take the boss exam anyway just do to the fact that it is a different bus operator exam number

I highly doubt I'll get any info from HR...if I do, I'll mention here.

As far as taking the BOSS exam again, it's all under the MTA, and from prior knowledge the BOSS exams for NYC Transit B/O (Exam #2613) and MaBSTOA B/O (Exam #3101) were the same...we'll see what happens.

Hey guys quick question if anyone can enlighten me.

This BOSS exam, i read somewhere that if you take the BOSS means you're with the MTA Bus Company which is different from TA/OA in terms of pension structure. I would like to know if by taking this BOSS test means that I am no longer TA even though I took the exam. Its very new to me all of this so I'm trying to understand. (Took Exam 4600, got one wrong based on the proposed, got the BOSS call-missed it-got the email though.

I just want to make sure that all proceedings following that exam is actually civil service as this is a long term career move and I even read about some guys from MTA Bus Co. wanting to actually transfer across to TA. You guys gave me helpful advice in the past and I'm appreciating it even now once again.

Hey guys quick question if anyone can enlighten me.

This BOSS exam, i read somewhere that if you take the BOSS means you're with the MTA Bus Company which is different from TA/OA in terms of pension structure. I would like to know if by taking this BOSS test means that I am no longer TA even though I took the exam. Its very new to me all of this so I'm trying to understand. (Took Exam 4600, got one wrong based on the proposed, got the BOSS call-missed it-got the email though.

I just want to make sure that all proceedings following that exam is actually civil service as this is a long term career move and I even read about some guys from MTA Bus Co. wanting to actually transfer across to TA. You guys gave me helpful advice in the past and I'm appreciating it even now once again.

All agency within MTA has to take the Boss exam in order to consider moving forward to the next round with employment process. The BOSS exam that you will be taking on the 4th of October is for TA exam 4600. You need to pass that in order to be place on the list and moving forward.