B/O 4600 Hiring Process

Message added by +Young+

BUS OPERATOR #4600

List Status Update: 1/16/22 The list for this specific exam has been extended to January 6th, 2024.

Training: See the DOB New Hire FAQ topic for more information.

Next Scheduled Class: You will be scheduled with candidates of more recent Bus Operator exams (which are pinned), so check those threads for more information.

For those of you who wish to restore your name to the list, you must do so by sending an e-mail to certificationunit@dcas.nyc.gov. In your e-mail, state your full name, exam number, list number, the last four of your social security number, and a brief reason why you're restoring your name to the list. You don't have to go into full detail in the e-mail.

For those who will be reporting to Livingston Street in the future, click here for the pre-employment packet and click here or for extra pages of the CPD-B booklet (if you need them) for final processing.

Next, for those of you who are still waiting, you folks might want to check out this and this YouTube video. In addition, if you need help getting your Class B CLP (Commercial Learner's Permit), I would encourage you to check out cristcdl.com which is free!! Remember, the multiple-choice tests you need to take and pass, at minimum, are General Knowledge, Air Brakes and Passenger Endorsement.

Finally, if you need to make an appointment at the DMV to take the multiple-choice examinations for your Commercial Learner's Permit, click here.

If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to ask. We're here to help each other.

Good luck!

Wow that was very enlightening...and u made it very clear to me...and sorry to hear u didn't pass da training. so that means u can't try again? What didn't u pass from da training? Or do u go the 10 days and then they tell u that u didn't make the cut? I read what the training is composed of and seems alittle scary but I guess I would just try and be positive bcuz I really want this career...being u know so much I would figure u would already be an employee...lol

As far as why, I invite you to look at the 2613 thread starting at page 280 (http://www.nyctransitforums.com/forums/topic/34980-bus-operator-exam-2613-questions/page-280) to page 308. I posted several times as far as my progress, both good and bad, and what happened on Day 10. I can try again in 5 years from February 2014, which means February of 2019 (4 years, 4 months and counting). However, I also took the Track Worker exam, in which that list should be coming out this November (after getting delayed so many times), so we'll see what happens.

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi all,

I'm new to this forum and was abit confused about the NYC residency requirement. The original application states that ny residency is not required however it also states "

Your CDL or motor vehicle license, or any combination thereof, must have been valid in the State of New York for at least three years immediately prior to the date you are appointed to this position" .

I've lived in and hold a NY lisence for the past 10 yrs. I just moved to ct this year, I've been paying ny insurance on my car since then because I didn't want to change my lisence over to CT although insurance would be half the price in CT.

Can some one please clear this up for me.

As far as why, I invite you to look at the 2613 thread starting at page 280 (http://www.nyctransitforums.com/forums/topic/34980-bus-operator-exam-2613-questions/page-280) to page 308. I posted several times as far as my progress, both good and bad, and what happened on Day 10. I can try again in 5 years from February 2014, which means February of 2019 (4 years, 4 months and counting). However, I also took the Track Worker exam, in which that list should be coming out this November (after getting delayed so many times), so we'll see what happens.

What's up Young,

So I took 4600 and applied for OA 4105. I know you have to wait 5 years, but does that apply for 2 different bus companies as well?

In other words if I fail TA can I then try OA if they call a few months apart?

Also, I'm taking BOSS for 4600 tomorrow, does that mean I won't have to take it for 4105?

Thanks for answering all our questions.

Hi all,

I'm new to this forum and was abit confused about the NYC residency requirement. The original application states that ny residency is not required however it also states "

Your CDL or motor vehicle license, or any combination thereof, must have been valid in the State of New York for at least three years immediately prior to the date you are appointed to this position" .

I've lived in and hold a NY lisence for the past 10 yrs. I just moved to ct this year, I've been paying ny insurance on my car since then because I didn't want to change my lisence over to CT although insurance would be half the price in CT.

Can some one please clear this up for me.

As long as you have a NYS license and you do not change that over to Connecticut, you should be fine. That's my 2 cents.

What's up Young,

So I took 4600 and applied for OA 4105. I know you have to wait 5 years, but does that apply for 2 different bus companies as well?

In other words if I fail TA can I then try OA if they call a few months apart?

Also, I'm taking BOSS for 4600 tomorrow, does that mean I won't have to take it for 4105?

Thanks for answering all our questions.

As far as waiting 5 years, it applies to all MTA Bus Companies - NYC Transit, MaBSTOA and MTA Bus. If you fail TA, you can't try OA a few months later.

If you take the BOSS for 4600, you probably and most likely won't have to take it for 4105 since the results are good for one [1] calendar year. Plus, space is limited at the testing site...

Common sense questions... In and out less than 1 hr. Yes I was the one with the crutch and boot. The officer was nice enough to let me into the auditorium and wait until test time. No way was I walking up 4 flights, let me use the elevator. Good luck to everyone and I hope to get called soon.

Just got home from taking the test

Finding parking was the worst. I had to park on Nostrand ave and walk. So besides getting soaked I walked a mile lol. Anyway the test wasn't that bad. Just common sense question which I hope I did well on. ( I hate these types of test because I tend to over think the questions). Now it's just waiting time for the results Fingers crossed

oh and to top off the day, i get a dam parking ticket because my parking ticket was turned upside down since I was in a rush to make it to the school :angry:  Think I should pay it or fight the ticket? I paid for the dam parking, I guess I just flipped it over on accident when placing it on my windshield.   First ticket I got in 12 years 

whats good guys just took the BOSS exam today smh when we took the exam it was snowing like crazy now today it was raining lol anyway good luck to all of us and before I left I asked what is the approx waiting time and the person that it was unk BUT the MTA really needs B/O alot of drivers are retiring so that give us some hope. :)

Good feedback from everyone so far that took the exam today I hope you all did good. We still have another large group of applicants still did not take the BOSS exam. Once they take it, The count down will begin. Looks like  By the end of the year or Early new year the list maybe establish. But that will take place after Every Candidate who passed the written test takes the BOSS exam. Good Luck 4600 

Finding parking was the worst. I had to park on Nostrand ave and walk. So besides getting soaked I walked a mile lol. Anyway the test wasn't that bad. Just common sense question which I hope I did well on. ( I hate these types of test because I tend to over think the questions). Now it's just waiting time for the results Fingers crossed

oh and to top off the day, i get a dam parking ticket because my parking ticket was turned upside down since I was in a rush to make it to the school :angry:  Think I should pay it or fight the ticket? I paid for the dam parking, I guess I just flipped it over on accident when placing it on my windshield.   First ticket I got in 12 years

Haha bro that was exactly my circumstance aswell! Parking was horrrrribleee and on top of that it was pouring....I also parked on Nostrand ave and got a ticket aswell for not paying the meter (was in a rush so i dumped my car and bolted)....i was in the red Navigator if yea noticed lol.

Anyways I hope all did well!!!

Parking was horrrrribleee and on top of that it was pouring....I also parked on Nostrand ave and got a ticket aswell for not paying the meter (was in a rush so i dumped my car and bolted)....i was in the red Navigator if yea noticed lol.

This is why not only do I try to be early for everything, but I also take public transportation whenever I go to Downtown Brooklyn, unless I know for 100% sure there is going to be parking...

As long that slip wasn't expired when you got the parking ticket, you can take it to court and show proof. They will probably match the time the ticket was issued and your parking meter time. Its all up to you if you want to go through the court hassle. Good Luck.

You can fight the ticket and state that it was displayed but the rain made it difficult to see. Attach copy of receipt and plea not guilty. Make sure to state that the weather and visibility was not the greatest.

Yup, the exam was easy. Like others said, just had to be consistent. Also, like others said, parking was ridiculous. Parked a good 15 blocks or so away and got drenched. Didn't feel like taking my umbrella to the school. Big mistake!

Hope this goes quick. Can't wait to get called.

Took and passed my cdl road test on Friday too. That's one less thing out of the way.

Yup, the exam was easy. Like others said, just had to be consistent. Also, like others said, parking was ridiculous. Parked a good 15 blocks or so away and got drenched. Didn't feel like taking my umbrella to the school. Big mistake!

Hope this goes quick. Can't wait to get called.

Took and passed my cdl road test on Friday too. That's one less thing out of the way.

Congrats Hockey. I told you that you would pass.