The Grim Rapper warns MTA riders to 'stand back' from the tracks in subway

Harry

post-5097-0-07627100-1370256597_thumb.jpg
The Grim Reaper rides the subway. The skeletal figure can be seen standing on the platform edge as a 400-ton train races into the station, the rush of air blasts and billows his black hood and cape. He walks silently through a subway car. He glides up a station escalator, looking right into your eyes. These are three scenes from a public service message by Transport Workers Union Local 100. The subject is death, or rather, how to avoid death by train. The public service message comes in the form of a rap music video. I know, that sounds lame. Public service message-rap music video sounds like a recipe for disaster — three minutes of your life you won’t get back.

Read more: Source

post-5097-0-07627100-1370256597_thumb.jpg

Thanks for ending the quote with "three minutes of your life you won’t get back". I lasted probably the first half of the minute.

I applaud the TWU's efforts on education, but I feel a more formal and active campaign would've served the purpose better. To my this doesn't appear to be community outreach, moreso pandering.

I think people need to be exposed the gruesome aftermath (ala rotten.com stuff) so that they really get the point that being on the tracks is a very bad idea. It doesn't seem to be working telling the average viewer a person was crushed to death. I mean the anti-smoking ads have gotten a little more graphic and those seem to get the message out better than saying 'stop smoking'. 

So it's just me, but I think people as a whole need to be exposed to the more graphic stuff. 

"three minutes of your life you won’t get back" is far better than a life you won't get back, or three {hours, days, however long} of trauma the crew members won't get back. 

This approach is great, as it speaks the language of so many people who love to play around the edge of the platform (including pretending to jump, pretending to throw their friend, etc).

I think people need to be exposed the gruesome aftermath (ala rotten.com stuff) so that they really get the point that being on the tracks is a very bad idea. It doesn't seem to be working telling the average viewer a person was crushed to death. I mean the anti-smoking ads have gotten a little more graphic and those seem to get the message out better than saying 'stop smoking'. 

So it's just me, but I think people as a whole need to be exposed to the more graphic stuff. 

You damn straight they have... What's annoying is one of those commercials always pops up when I'm the middle of chowing down with my hands full and can't grab the remote fast enough to change it.  <_< I'm sure if they became more graphic, it will have some positive results.

I had to hit the brakes last night because some schmuck was a little too close to the edge for my comfort.

Problem is, people are stupid. You can stupid-proof something, but then they make better stupid.

They need to remove all the stupid adds on the platform, put pics of fatalities, or where there WAS a 12-9 have a pic up and have it read "Here someone died getting his phone or wallet or dollar because he/she was inpatient to wait for help"...and show the aftermath and the family crying. I guarantee you no more stupidity like that will happen again, but then you get all the pussies crying how that's a terrible thing. Because we live in a pussie society. Thank you.

If one can't figure out how to "avoid death by train" there is no hope for that person. Dropped a cell phone? Go get a transit employee. It's not rocket science.

When you work for TA and interact with the customer or rider, common sense doesn't exist. So by them going on to the tracks to get something they dropped is there form of rocket science.

They need to remove all the stupid adds on the platform, put pics of fatalities, or where there WAS a 12-9 have a pic up and have it read "Here someone died getting his phone or wallet or dollar because he/she was inpatient to wait for help"...and show the aftermath and the family crying. I guarantee you no more stupidity like that will happen again, but then you get all the pussies crying how that's a terrible thing. Because we live in a pussie society. Thank you.

They had (maybe still have) that on Queens Blvd. Signs at various corners that say "someone was killed crossing here. Be alert" or something to that effect

My point exactly. People are too sensitive these days and need to be shown the hard truth. Stay off the tracks or become rail pizza. Movie deaths these days can be pretty graphic, so I don't see why it should be any different regarding real life.

Archived