Montague St Tunnel Closure - Exp. Bus Service Restorations & Increases Requested

Understandable about the lack of advocacy in Sheepshead, but, at the risk of starting another debate, is it truly a result of lack of English comprehension?

Regardless, I've noticed that across South Brooklyn as well. Even Coney Island didn't speak up much about the last cuts.

Back to Sheepshead Bay, the one benefit they have had was that BM3 restructuring, as the old routing was so damn redundant I even forgot the damn streets it traveled on.

I think that's part of the issue in addition to the obsession with cars down there.  I don't know who is worse, Sheepshead Bay or Staten Island with that.  The Russians like to be flashy so they need to have their fancy European cars riding up and down Emmons and Sheepshead Bay Rd.  <_<

• Replies 313
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The people in the towers by Surf Ave need to use the X29. If they would use it, it would absolutely be brought back and have a purpose. As is, those people all drive and have always driven to Manhattan.

The people in the towers by Surf Ave need to use the X29. If they would use it, it would absolutely be brought back and have a purpose. As is, those people all drive and have always driven to Manhattan.

Well it would help the argument that's for sure, but most of the usage was along Coney Island Av.

I think that's part of the issue in addition to the obsession with cars down there.  I don't know who is worse, Sheepshead Bay or Staten Island with that.  The Russians like to be flashy so they need to have their fancy European cars riding up and down Emmons and Sheepshead Bay Rd.  <_<

In that regard Staten Island has them beat by a mile. All those fools who pay those damn ridiculous tolls each day to cross the Verrazano just in the name off "status".

Oh yeah, that would help but even then that's only roughly 35% of the ridership.

Well it would help the argument that's for sure, but most of the usage was along Coney Island Av.

That's my point. If those folks in the towers finally decide that taking mass transit isn't only for yucky poors and use the X29, suddenly Coney Island Ave and those towers become big usage areas and the X29 becomes an important route.

In that regard Staten Island has them beat by a mile. All those fools who pay those damn ridiculous tolls each day to cross the Verrazano just in the name off "status".

Back in 2008, I went out to dinner with a buddy of mine and his girlfriend in Midtown.  They offered me a ride home and I accepted it, so they pay the toll for the Battery Tunnel but then when we get to the Verrazano it was like $10.00.  They were like WTH.  I felt so embarrassed because I completely forgot about it, so I'm well I might as well just give them what I would've given the driver for car service from the express bus so I just gave them a $20.00 and they gave me the change.  <_<

Back in 2008, I went out to dinner with a buddy of mine and his girlfriend in Midtown.  They offered me a ride home and I accepted it, so they pay the toll for the Battery Tunnel but then when we get to the Verrazano it was like $10.00.  They were like WTH.  I felt so embarrassed because I completely forgot about it, so I'm well I might as well just give them what I would've given the driver for car service from the express bus so I just gave them a $20.00 and they gave me the change.  <_<

LOL, I would've declined, no doubt. I'm still in amazement of the amount of residents willing to pay the tolls.

I bet you felt like such an ass after that.

That's my point. If those folks in the towers finally decide that taking mass transit isn't only for yucky poors and use the X29, suddenly Coney Island Ave and those towers become big usage areas and the X29 becomes an important route.

Consider this: The MTA's own numbers showed that the X29 was an efficient route. They wanted to get rid of it with the logic that it was near the subway, so unless there was a ton of protest from the people living in Trump & Warbasse, it would've been gone either way.

LOL, I would've declined, no doubt. I'm still in amazement of the amount of residents willing to pay the tolls.

I bet you felt like such an ass after that.

Well I was still rather hammered (we ate and drank at a Brazilian place) and I thought I could get home quickly and save on car service... Just forgot about the damn toll....  <_<

Maybe because its free to get off the island and double going in. You're still paying the same amount regardless.

Maybe because its free to get off the island and double going in. You're still paying the same amount regardless.

Regardless they're still paying tolls. From the perspective of someone who is out of state, it continues to amaze me that there are residents willing to pay such high tolls, just to be able to live with a car in SI.

It amazes me more when there is a fair variety of transit option available for the borough. Last visit there the Verrazano toll was $8.00 and the express bus fare was $4.00, so in my mind public transit seemed like the better choice. Now as the toll is $15.00 and the express bus fare is $6.00 it comes out cheaper round trip with public transit, and this is just viewing the base costs of the two methods.

Continuing let's apply this to residents of Sheepshead Bay. As Via Garibaldi 8 said like to be flashy so they need to have their fancy European cars riding up and down Emmons and Sheepshead Bay Rd.

Imagine how many of them pay the damn Battery Tunnel toll every day just to be able to show off with their vehicles. Again, with the amount of transit options that currently exist (and case in point previously existed) is amazes me that they're will to pay these tolls.

Regardless they're still paying tolls. From the perspective of someone who is out of state, it continues to amaze me that there are residents willing to pay such high tolls, just to be able to live with a car in SI.

It amazes me more when there is a fair variety of transit option available for the borough. Last visit there the Verrazano toll was $8.00 and the express bus fare was $4.00, so in my mind public transit seemed like the better choice. Now as the toll is $15.00 and the express bus fare is $6.00 it comes out cheaper round trip with public transit, and this is just viewing the base costs of the two methods.

Continuing let's apply this to residents of Sheepshead Bay. As Via Garibaldi 8 said like to be flashy so they need to have their fancy European cars riding up and down Emmons and Sheepshead Bay Rd.

Imagine how many of them pay the damn Battery Tunnel toll every day just to be able to show off with their vehicles. Again, with the amount of transit options that currently exist (and case in point previously existed) is amazes me that they're will to pay these tolls.

People with EZPass pay less than the normal toll, still expensive though.

The Russians like to be flashy so they need to have their fancy European cars riding up and down Emmons and Sheepshead Bay Rd.  <_<

Don't get me started with the Russians. A lot of the old timers have that "rich snob" mentality that you can see in every part of their life. I don't know if it's their culture, but the younger Americanized ones don't have that trait.

No, it's because Staten Island is car centric.  In a way they cry that public transportation sucks but some of them like that because that gives them an excuse to drive.  You have some very egotistical people on Staten Island that care only about how fancy their car is and they wouldn't dare be caught on ANY form of public transportation, which includes the express bus.  You would think most people would like the idea of having more express bus service so that they don't have to be stressed out driving to the city, but on Staten Island you have people that get annoyed with it.  All of those damn express bus riders parking their damn cars in "my" parking spot.  That's the attitude and then to get even they'll come out and damage your car if need be to send the message home that you don't park in "my" spot, even though anyone can technically park there.

I had relatives with a similar mentality.  They would use the express bus to get off of the island to work, but even that was seen as a schlep so they would just drive to work.  They would also get pissed if someone parked in their so called parking space, so they would purposely park their car there anytime they could to send the message that no one else should be parking there even though they had other parking options.  Really childish, but that's what happens.  

That's what I like about Riverdale.  People understand that public transportation is a great alternative to jumping in the car and they will use the express bus or MetroNorth, even though they're affluent.  It certainly allows the roads to be less clogged and there's less traffic.  

Don't get me started with the Russians. A lot of the old timers have that "rich snob" mentality that you can see in every part of their life. I don't know if it's their culture, but the younger Americanized ones don't have that trait.

They certainly do and I'm not sure what it stems from but many of them wouldn't be caught dead using any form of public transit.

No, it's because Staten Island is car centric.  In a way they cry that public transportation sucks but some of them like that because that gives them an excuse to drive.  You have some very egotistical people on Staten Island that care only about how fancy their car is and they wouldn't dare be caught on ANY form of public transportation, which includes the express bus.  You would think most people would like the idea of having more express bus service so that they don't have to be stressed out driving to the city, but on Staten Island you have people that get annoyed with it.  All of those damn express bus riders parking their damn cars in "my" parking spot.  That's the attitude and then to get even they'll come out and damage your car if need be to send the message home that you don't park in "my" spot, even though anyone can technically park there.

I had relatives with a similar mentality.  They would use the express bus to get off of the island to work, but even that was seen as a schlep so they would just drive to work.  They would also get pissed if someone parked in their so called parking space, so they would purposely park their car there anytime they could to send the message that no one else should be parking there even though they had other parking options.  Really childish, but that's what happens.  

That's what I like about Riverdale.  People understand that public transportation is a great alternative to jumping in the car and they will use the express bus or MetroNorth, even though they're affluent.  It certainly allows the roads to be less clogged and there's less traffic.  

They certainly do and I'm not sure what it stems from but many of them wouldn't be caught dead using any form of public transit.

I will bet some of these people started out from a lower class and feel insecure in that they might one day drop back "down there". That's why they have to reassure themselves and everyone else of their status by parking wherever that please, hogging parking spaces and road space, and being a general nuisance wherever they go.

With EZPass, the toll is $10.66 westbound, $0.00 eastbound - on a round-trip basis, exactly the same as the other major B&T crossings. It's charged westbound only because of 1986 Federal legislation sponsored by Guy Molinari. Staten Island residents pay $6.00 westbound and $0.00 eastbound.

With EZPass, the toll is $10.66 westbound, $0.00 eastbound - on a round-trip basis, exactly the same as the other major B&T crossings. It's charged westbound only because of 1986 Federal legislation sponsored by Guy Molinari. Staten Island residents pay $6.00 westbound and $0.00 eastbound.

I'm aware of that as well, evidenced by an earlier discussion with Orion Vii 4 Life...

People with EZPass pay less than the normal toll, still expensive though.

to which I replied...

Hell yeah it's expensive. Nearly $11.00, f**k that.

So what?  That has nothing to do with those that need to visit their families on Staten Island.  If they're visiting from say Bay Ridge of Dyker Heights, they've got to pay $15.00 unless they have an EZPass, which is preposterous to say the least.

Oh yes they do.

"YEAH BRO GOT MY NEW MERC that mommy and daddy bought me" - generic youngling

Anyways, RE: Montague, just expand X27/37 service and it'll be fine. If they need to add weekend X28 service, can go ahead and do that (hope the ridership is there).

Glad they got your permission.  :lol:

My permission? More like if they can get ridership. If it's two people per bus it's a waste. If people actually use them, of course you run those extra buses.

EDIT: I've been on board with extra 27/37 service since that's more where the (R) runs anyways. Still not sure about X28, but if all those people signing the petition actually use the damn service on weekends, go ahead.

My permission? More like if they can get ridership. If it's two people per bus it's a waste. If people actually use them, of course you run those extra buses.

The X28/X38 is 5th out of all NYCT express buses in the system, carrying over 750,000 riders a year, so I can assure you that carries more than two people per bus.  <_< You think the LIRR or MetroNorth always carries hoards of people on every train? Of course not, that doesn't mean you don't provide the service.  That happens on local buses too btw. 

EDIT: I've been on board with extra 27/37 service since that's more where the (R) runs anyways. Still not sure about X28, but if all those people signing the petition actually use the damn service on weekends, go ahead.

The X27/X37 dont get two rider per bus off-peak. I usually see a good 7-9 people load on the X27 in the high 40's on a Sunday, and that's just the tipping point, so there obviously would be more. Not too sure about those midday trips, but I'm pretty sure they garner more than two riders.

Archived