General Camera/Photography Discussion

Who makes the camera that you shoot transit with?  

26 members have voted

1. 1. Who makes the camera that you shoot transit with?

• Replies 822
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Keep your ISO at 400 or 800 in the subway. The more ISO, the more grainy your pictures get so if your pictures look too grainy at 800 ISO then use 400 ISO. As for white balance it depends on the station. Use the setting that makes the picture look accurate in the LCD. You don't want really warm colors at a station like Broadway - Lafayette (:P(D)(F)(V) when the light is very cool.

Keep your ISO at 400 or 800 in the subway. The more ISO, the more grainy your pictures get so if your pictures look too grainy at 800 ISO then use 400 ISO. As for white balance it depends on the station. Use the setting that makes the picture look accurate in the LCD. You don't want really warm colors at a station like Broadway - Lafayette (:)(D)(F)(V) when the light is very cool.

but then with the low ISO you will get darker and more blurry shots. :P I would prefer grainy shots that are sharp versus dark and blurry shots.

Keep your ISO at 400 or 800 in the subway. The more ISO, the more grainy your pictures get so if your pictures look too grainy at 800 ISO then use 400 ISO. As for white balance it depends on the station. Use the setting that makes the picture look accurate in the LCD. You don't want really warm colors at a station like Broadway - Lafayette (:((D)(F)(V) when the light is very cool.

ok. Thanks Kris. I'm still trying to learn techniques on my Sony. I might take more pics later:tup:

After doing a quick Google search I found that Noiseware Community Edition is still available for free. While not as feature-packed as some other solutions out there, it should serve as a decent tool to reduce the amounts of noise present in your photos. Note that these programs are not usually the type where you should simply "max every slider". They require careful attention to a 100% crop of the photo in question while you find the optimal settings. It is better to apply sparingly than to go overboard and smudge out all the details.

Edit: another useful tool for reducing blur is present as a Photoshop plug-in: Gaussian Blur. By applying a sub-1.0px blur to the photo, followed by a light Unsharp Mask, you can essentially "blur out" the chrominance noise* while retaining detail within the photo.

* chrominance noise refers to the multicolored spots one sees in a noisy file; the other type of noise: luminance noise, refers to the black and white hot spots present.

Edited by Joe
added more info

After doing a quick Google search I found that Noiseware Community Edition is still available for free. While not as feature-packed as some other solutions out there, it should serve as a decent tool to reduce the amounts of noise present in your photos. Note that these programs are not usually the type where you should simply "max every slider". They require careful attention to a 100% crop of the photo in question while you find the optimal settings. It is better to apply sparingly than to go overboard and smudge out all the details.

Edit: another useful tool for reducing blur is present as a Photoshop plug-in: Gaussian Blur. By applying a sub-1.0px blur to the photo, followed by a light Unsharp Mask, you can essentially "blur out" the chrominance noise* while retaining detail within the photo.

* chrominance noise refers to the multicolored spots one sees in a noisy file; the other type of noise: luminance noise, refers to the black and white hot spots present.

I use Paint.net for my photos. It has a noise reducer and it's very effective.

I used it also, to add cool special effects to these pictures I took in another thread.

Grainess depends on the sensor size iirc not about the megapixels

Image noise doesn't solely depend on either resolution or sensor size, but if for a second we imagine that those are the only two variables that we're looking at, it would be wiser for us to say that pixel density plays an important role.

Higher pixel density = poorer performance at all ISOs = decreased dynamic range.

Lower pixel density = better performance at all ISOs = increased dynamic range.

Dynamic range is the full range of tonal values that a sensor can capture. As ISO is increased on a digital sensor, dynamic range decreases.