General Camera/Photography Discussion

Who makes the camera that you shoot transit with?  

26 members have voted

1. 1. Who makes the camera that you shoot transit with?

• Replies 822
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Nice crisp clear photos but all flat lifeless photos. Yes today's and even some of yesterdays point and shoot cameras can produce clear crisp pictures but I'm talking about dept of field. Point and shoot cameras, at least not any I've seen recently can produce depth of field (DOF) like a DSLR can.

Look I posted before out of anger and I let it get to me there. I'm just getting tired of people ganging up on the kid all the time. If he wants to learn and shoot real photography, he should stop wasting his money and get a DSLR.

Taken with a DSLR. The large depth of field is obvious in this photograph. I hope you see where I'm going with this.

I believe this is how Daniel eventually wants to shoot. If he doesn't then I apologize and I'll just leave it like that.

Maybe I'm kind of jealous I can't get that many cameras.. :)

http://www.ttmg.org/photos/dstevenson/NYCB_Orion_418.jpg

http://www.ttmg.org/photos/dstevenson/NYCB_NFI_5414.jpg

http://www.ttmg.org/photos/dstevenson/NYCB_Orion_7642.jpg

Last photos I'm linking, I mean we both are right in a way but I'm just trying to help him work with what he has now especially since he doesn't have a choice for now. Those we're shot with the same E5600, those other shots I didn't change the color settings, I also hate photoshopping my images so I try to have them crisp, lol.

Last photos I'm linking, I mean we both are right in a way but I'm just trying to help him work with what he has now especially since he doesn't have a choice for now. Those we're shot with the same E5600, those other shots I didn't change the color settings, I also hate photoshopping my images so I try to have them crisp, lol.

Exactly we're both right in a way. I just wanted to get my point across. We'll leave it as that. :cool:

My point-and-shoot came with some software that I've been using to touch up my photos somewhat. Nikon PictureProject. It works I guess.

Ebay is a better place to by at a decent cost.

I bought my Kodak Z1485 IS Black there last yr for about $95 total:

http://photography.shop.ebay.com/Digital-Cameras-/31388/i.html?LH_BIN=1&_trkparms=65%253A12%257C66%253A2%257C39%253A1%257C72%253A2695&_nkw=Kodak+Z1485+IS&_catref=1&_dmpt=Digital_Cameras&_sticky=1&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_sop=15&_sc=1

though now the black seems to be a bit pricey at 104$, Blue cost just 99$ about.

Of course you can browse around and see other cheap cams at ebay.com New, Refurbished, Used, etc..

Gonna save up for a ZLR(The "Advanced P&S" DSLR like)/DSLR, so i can get by summer time!

You might be able to grab my stylus 770 SW for $100, however it may need to be repaired. Bought new was $320.

Give me some time to think about it, i really like having this one, so i'm not 100% sure yet. It is not my primary camera, however it is very rugged and easy to slip in a pocket.

I'll let you know, PM me again.

- A

get a nikon L-(w/e number their up to now lol)

they might look cheap and toy-ish, but for $100 its not bad lol

my $100 L11 got it over 3 years ago, and it still works fine today (although the sensor is starting to wear out i think)

if you have the extra $50 or so tho then get a better model such as a canon or w/e

Here's a list of digital point and shoot camera's ranging from $50-$100. I would suggest looking deeper into camera's with good image stabilization since you take a lot of underground shots.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/search/ref=sr_nr_p_36_2?rh=n%3A502394%2Cn%3A281052%2Cn%3A330405011%2Cp_36%3A1253505011&bbn=330405011&ie=UTF8&qid=1272823072&rnid=386442011

• 2 weeks later...

It depends how long you want to use the camera for. If you want to use it for the long-term then I wouldn't recommend a Fujifilm. Over the course of months and years, quite a few of their models develop focus errors (I have firsthand experience, and many other people on the internet also do) rendering the camera useless. I don't really know much about good cheap digital cameras but Kodak and Canon seem to be the best quality P&S cameras (along with Nikon). IDK if you can get many good manual settings at that price range, but if you can, look for things like optical image stabilization.

Accessories.

Every camera isn't complete without some accessories. A bag/case, neck or wrist strap, waterproof case for underwater use, even a simple silicone case to keep the camera protected from scuffs and bumps.

Every camera has a certain "list" of accessories. Some cameras have very few options, some only come with the camera when you purchase, some are made by the camera company, some are bought separately from a company that specializes in accessories.

A waterproof case allows one to take their camera down to a certain depth (rated at a specific max pressure). Some of them are neutrally buoyant, some are not. Most of these cases have seals and bearings in the hinges that need to be replaced from time to time, as well as kept fresh with lubricants and sealant. These underwater housings are not cheap, but taken care of properly can bring a great deal of fun and new creative options to your photo taking sessions.

Neck and wrist straps are vitally important, they keep your artistic tool, your investment, your camera, from falling, possibly to its demise. Some cameras are heavier and you really benefit from the use of a wide comfy neck strap, others you can get away with a smaller neck strap, most smaller point and shoot cameras do not have provision for neck straps, instead they are designed for use with a loop-though wrist strap I've always suggested nylon or canvas/hemp straps because they will last a long time, though there are metal and other types as well.

Camera bags are very important as well. If your camera is not really weather/dust etc resistant, you'll want a place to put it if it starts to rain, or if you don't want it to bump on every other thing you stand next to. Also makes it easier to carry while doing other things. Try to get a good balance between padding and bulk, and make sure the camera fits a bit loose of snug, you don't want it (or any lenses) sliding around in there collecting dust from the padding. Again, canvas and nylon are the preferred choice for the exterior, waterproof is a must, double layer canvas is typically pretty water resistant, but it isn't a total barrier to liquids. Some bags are very simple with just a main compartment for the camera, some are more elaborate and have storage pockets for batteries, memory cards, cables etc. Make sure you get one that fits your needs, an extra few pouches/compartments isn't going to hurt, but not having enough will be a hinderance.

A few camera models have silicone cases made for them, make sure if you chose to go this route that it is the exact correct one or you could wear holes in the skin or be pushing buttons you don't want to.

Tripods and other tripod screw connector products allow you to mount the camera to something, be it the ground, or a vehicle or even to yourself. There are a wide range of products designed to utilize the mounting screw system. Some have clamps, others have legs, still others have magnetic or friction based design to keep it secure in place. There are also monopods, some of which can double as walking sticks, and are not subject to the the limitations such as are found in the NYCT subway photography rule, barring tripods without permit, as the monopod does not take up any horizontal or floor space, while a tripod does. Some of these products are bulky but solid, some are more light weight and compact. Be sure to see if you can try these products out before you buy.

That's all for now!

- A

Nickel-cadmium batteries are indeed very toxic and are very outdated... Go NiMH or Lithium-ion!

NiCads are the worst battery in my opinion. You try having one go through 30 half charges

It seems my canon is getting tready to expire!

when I turn it on, the LCD screen is jet black. No image target shows. This means it the camera wil treat it like a night shot and if i press the shutter, it will blank out and the image is pure blackness. Its like the lens is covered by something.

Unless I use all 4x optical zoom, or the digital zoom, my pictures will look effed up. Overexposed with white lines.

This means, till i get the next camera, goodbye: roster shots, macro sloseups, family/group photos, any photo with flash, think-fast shots, or anything of that nature.

If this persists, I will call another camera strike, until I get a megazoom. NO EXCEPTIONS!!!!

Just my luck, it goes out on me just as the new hybrids/silverliners arrive! GRRRRR :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

This is what an otherwise "normal" picture would look like:

normal_effed-up_shot_of_5847H.jpg

However, if I use all 4x optical zoom, like I said before, it looks fine:

normal_8285%7E1.jpg

It seems my canon is getting tready to expire!

when I turn it on, the LCD screen is jet black. No image target shows. This means it the camera wil treat it like a night shot and if i press the shutter, it will blank out and the image is pure blackness. Its like the lens is covered by something.

Unless I use all 4x optical zoom, or the digital zoom, my pictures will look effed up. Overexposed with white lines.

This means, till i get the next camera, goodbye: roster shots, macro sloseups, family/group photos, any photo with flash, think-fast shots, or anything of that nature.

If this persists, I will call another camera strike, until I get a megazoom. NO EXCEPTIONS!!!!

Just my luck, it goes out on me just as the new hybrids/silverliners arrive! GRRRRR :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

This is what an otherwise "normal" picture would look like:

normal_effed-up_shot_of_5847H.jpg

However, if I use all 4x optical zoom, like I said before, it looks fine:

normal_8285%7E1.jpg

your camera took a Scheiße :P

Time to get a new one.

Don't feel bad. This was the fate of the "Bx12SBS camera"

DSCF0265.jpg