General Camera/Photography Discussion

Who makes the camera that you shoot transit with?  

26 members have voted

1. 1. Who makes the camera that you shoot transit with?

If you have an old desktop and are willing to convert to a server, you can manage it right from home without it costing you a dime. (Except the hdd is that needs upgrading)

If not, you can always go with webhosting plans, (I use Hosting24) where you can just install gallery software and manage your pics from there.

Ya, managing a server may not be easy.. Plus servers are mainly used for more then 1 pcs to communicate. (Unless hes got the IT skills for it) Unless he backs up his photos to another HD or System Unit then hes good.

• Replies 822
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If you have an old desktop and are willing to convert to a server, you can manage it right from home without it costing you a dime. (Except the hdd is that needs upgrading)

If not, you can always go with webhosting plans, (I use Hosting24) where you can just install gallery software and manage your pics from there.

Servers are no permitted on most residential broadband connections.

@PaulP. go with smugmug.com

Look guys, honestly, all I need is a reliable host with my own domain so I'll have to decide what to choose from... no servers or anything like that, it's just for pictures, nothing more.

SmugMug.com ;)

http://smugmug.com/photos/best-photo-sharing/

You can use your own domain with their pro level plan.

All of their plans allow for unlimited storage and bandwidth. the pro plan allows you to customize your site and use your own domain.

• 4 weeks later...

You guise aer silly. Yea, the 3/4 system has it's cons, but it has it's pros too, which is why i use it. I really prefer 3/4 x/y dimensions, because, yea the wider stuff can let you see more of the action, it is also nearly impossible to easily and quickly use them as deskstop images (which i use mine for).

Anyways.......

Power source options.

Cameras have an amazing variety of power source types and form factors. You have the traditional AA/AAA or even AAAA battery, the 9 volt, and then other "standard" yet less common sizes.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_battery_sizes

The 4 main electrical types of batteries (the mechanism that actually produces the electrical current) are Alkaline, NiCD, Lithium, and NiMH.

Read more about those here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battery_types#Types_of_batteries

Alkaline is on the low end in terms of how much use you will get out if it before you need to replace them.

Lithium one time use batteries are far and away the superior choice when picking non-rechargeable sets. I personally have had alkaline batts last me 3 days, and lithium last me 3 months. They are also better in cold temperatures.

Lithium recharge batteries are the best, they are very light, and have alll the pros of lithium tech listed above. The only drawback to this type is that lithium is highly toxic and lithium mining is very environmentally damaging.

The old school of recharge batteries is the NiDC. They have been in use for a very long time (over 30 years), and are on par with alkaline as far as lasting before needing a recharge. The use of these batteries is on the decline because of the heavy metals used in them.

The rising rockstar that will eventually replace NiCD is NiMH. These batteries have a bit less lifespan between charges than lithium, but they are not nearly as expensive, and not toxic. These are my choice for my 4xAA ultra zoom.

A lot of smaller cameras come with rechargeable batteries that only fit within a specific set of models made by the same company. You should try to avoid these if you can, but they are not "bad". The thinner batteries will hold far less charge than any of the batteries listed above in most cases, the fatter ones more of a charge. They will come with a specific charger also. If you lose either it can be nearly impossible, especially after a few years, to find a replacement. However, if you are careful these have their benefits too if you upgrade often especially.

Whatever you end up choosing, make sure you get a camera/battery combo that works best for you!

Next topic will be on accessories.

- A

Nickel-metal hydride batteries are some pretty good rechargables, only type I use. Lithium-ion batteries aren't bad for high-powered cameras like my camcorder. The Battery University is a great website for learning about the battery types and avoiding mistakes when choosing the right chargers!

Nickel-cadmium batteries are indeed very toxic and are very outdated... Go NiMH or Lithium-ion!

Nickel-metal hydride batteries are some pretty good rechargables, only type I use. Lithium-ion batteries aren't bad for high-powered cameras like my camcorder. The Battery University is a great website for learning about the battery types and avoiding mistakes when choosing the right chargers!

Nickel-cadmium batteries are indeed very toxic and are very outdated... Go NiMH or Lithium-ion!

Indeed. People around Chernobyl had cadmium poisoning and ended up having kids with all kinds of deformities. Lithium & NiMH (as well as most battery types) need to be dropped off at collection centers for proper recycling, because they can't be sent to landfills.

- A

• 2 weeks later...

I was wondering if you guys have any particular set of manual settings on your camera that you go by for a particular scene (such as Tv 1/125 on the R160s, 1/400 f2.7 for sunset etc) and would like to share them..

I want to know about sunset in particular though since ive been having some difficulty with them lately my special ISO-80 1/400 f/2.7 combo isnt working so well for me anymore apparently lol

Well for daytime shots i use ISO200 (Or ISO100 to darken it a bit), and then f/ 8.0 for lots of light(Sun mostly), f 4.8 for a bit of both and f 2.8 for a lot of light but only if the area has low light a bit.

And of course 1/100+ depnding on which f/ i use..

• 3 weeks later...

I currently use a Sony W220 right. I'm trying to figure out which settings are good perfect for subway shots and bus shots. What ISO Range to set on underground subway shots? What White Balanced Settings to used for underground subway shots? And what mode should I set my camera for bus shots?

And I also want to know what Scene to set for my underground subway shots?

Daniel

Daniel, next time you're in the subway system, take a few test shots using different settings. Shoot off as many as possible using different settings. Load them on your computer and compare and figure out from there which combination of settings looks right to you. Then go shoot more and compare more. You'll get better results doing that then posting a thread on it. Create a progress sheet and write everything down.

You're shooting with a point-and-shoot camera. There's not much anyone can say on what to set your camera too. You must figure it out with testing and a little bit of analysis all on your own.