General Camera/Photography Discussion

Who makes the camera that you shoot transit with?  

26 members have voted

1. 1. Who makes the camera that you shoot transit with?

• Replies 822
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I know this sounds like a dumb question and granted i never bothered to read the manuals, but how do you crop pics on a DSLR?

"Cropped sensor" and cropping are not the same. "Cropped" sensor refers that the size of the sensor is not the same as the size of a FX (Full Frame) sensor which is 35mm which is why they are called "Cropped" sensors.

300px-Sensor_sizes_overlaid_inside.svg.png

Better detailed information here. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image_sensor_format

If you are referring to normal cropping, you need to do that with your image editing software of choice.

Ah now I see. Would've been nice to crop it like on a P&S cam, but I guess it's photo editing software as i normally use.

Why would you want to crop such a large percentage of the image out? Those smaller sensors (the ones smaller than 4/3rds on the chart above) really suck at well, everything. Larger sensors are less noisy at higher sensitivities, not to mention they have increased dynamic range at all sensitivities. Increased dynamic range (DR can be thought of how wide a tonality the sensor can capture) makes photos look so much more alive than the drab P&S look.

I've been trying to find ways how to improve my pics quality on my Nikon L18 and they either come out blurry, too light or too dark. Does anyone know anything like settings, tips or any suggestions how to take pics with really good quality? I can't set my own ISO range. But was wondering if anyone can help me.

Daniel

I've been trying to find ways how to improve my pics quality on my Nikon L18 and they either come out blurry, too light or too dark. Does anyone know anything like settings, tips or any suggestions how to take pics with really good quality? I can't set my own ISO range. But was wondering if anyone can help me.

Daniel

if your cause has a semi-manuel mode,or manal,mode use it.and set the colors to natural,not vivid,sepia or B&W.and if you do want some good colored photos,set your white balance to "cloudy" during the sunny days

.the colors might come out great! and set the exposure between 40-2000.this is what will allow less blurred photos,but,the photos will come out dark.but it might help!

The thing with a lot of point and shoot cameras is that you can't customize setting. I'm not familiar with the one you have, but the factors causing blurry pictures are: shutter speeds and exposure in the most part. Can you manually change those?

I can change Exposure Compensation.

BTW what are the best scenes to set your camera on when your taking pics? I have portrait, Landscape, Sports, Night portrait, Party/Indoor, Beach/Snow, Sunset, Dusk Dawn, Night Landscape, Close Up. Museum, Copy, Backlight, Panorama assist.

Which one out of those are the best for taking subway pics?

Daniel

Is this the camera you're talking about? If so, then you are able to set your ISO manually (your camera has ISO settings from 64 to 1600). When you take pictures underground, be sure to set the ISO to at least 400, or higher if needed. Hold the camera still, and hold the camera straight as well. This will improve how your pictures come out. If you look at your camera there will be a setting on Image Resolution. Always set this to at least 5M (2592x1944), or to a higher resolution. A higher resolution means that your camera can capture more detail in the photos. For white balance, set it to Flourescent or Incandescent depending on what kind of light there is in the station (usually Flourescent). I find that for Night mode, you have to keep the camera really still, especially since you're not using Flash.

But MOST IMPORTANTLY, your photo quality depends on what you take photos of. No matter how good your photo quality is it's not going to make a picture of the middle of the train, or a rollsign, any better.

Is this the camera you're talking about? If so, then you are able to set your ISO manually (your camera has ISO settings from 64 to 1600). When you take pictures underground, be sure to set the ISO to at least 400, or higher if needed. Hold the camera still, and hold the camera straight as well. This will improve how your pictures come out. If you look at your camera there will be a setting on Image Resolution. Always set this to at least 5M (2592x1944), or to a higher resolution. A higher resolution means that your camera can capture more detail in the photos. For white balance, set it to Flourescent or Incandescent depending on what kind of light there is in the station (usually Flourescent). I find that for Night mode, you have to keep the camera really still, especially since you're not using Flash.

But MOST IMPORTANTLY, your photo quality depends on what you take photos of. No matter how good your photo quality is it's not going to make a picture of the middle of the train, or a rollsign, any better.

wrong about setting ISO Manually. That camera ISO range cannot be set manually. It says lowest ISO Sensitivity which is 64 and highest Sensitivity which is 1600. That means that it auto ISO.

Hey guys, i've been looking around the DSLR camera market lately and this camera caught my eye. I thought I should get some opinions on the camera from here.

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0903/09030316lumixgh1handson.asp

Its the Lumix GH1, HDSLR, four thirds system camera. The price is eh, considering the lens it comes with though. Pretty compact though. Any thoughts?

For that price, get the Nikon D90. Nikon makes top notch DSLR cameras and their Nikkor line of lenses are amazing. I think UrbanFortitude, Joe, Harry, BrightonLocal, Fred G and I all shoot with Nikon DSLRs and I'm certain they would all agree that Nikon is the best bang for your buck when it comes to DSLRs.

No love for canon?

Canons from what I've seen are mostly used more by those into Sports photography. Plus, from when I was looking into my first DSLR, the Canons were generally more expensive. Harry would be better in knowing about Canons since he used to have one.