General Camera/Photography Discussion

Who makes the camera that you shoot transit with?  

26 members have voted

1. 1. Who makes the camera that you shoot transit with?

• Replies 822
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I want to get some good underground train shots (like of moving trains) and take better indoor pictures so I planning to get the Canon S90 for Christmas. I will keep the S5 IS for outdoor shots, but my main camera will be this one because my school activities has me staying back late at school. I finally want to start preparing for moving to DSLR and this is a good step. What do you think?

I had an S5 IS, It was good for outside but inside it would have green lines in any photo that had florescent light.

Personally I would just go to a dSLR, the Rebel XS is not much bigger than the S5 and you get a lot more quality. I havent been to teh city yet to test mine out but it works great for outdoor shots of trains. It all depends on your budget, how much you have to spend.

I want to get some good underground train shots (like of moving trains) and take better indoor pictures so I planning to get the Canon S90 for Christmas. I will keep the S5 IS for outdoor shots, but my main camera will be this one because my school activities has me staying back late at school. I finally want to start preparing for moving to DSLR and this is a good step. What do you think?

You can get the Nikon D40 kit for about the same price or a little more.

Hey it turns out that we have the same camera I got it in red. First set it in Auto Mode, then go to the menu to a icon that says Continuous then go there select "BSS". Then exit out and press the the exposure button at 3 o'clock on the d-pad and set it to -0.3. I imagine you know how to change the white balance so change it to "Fluorescent". You should now be able to take wonderful pictures underground and in low light.

I'm making do with my puny little Nikon Coolpix 5600 from 2005 for pictures. I'm basically trying to squeeze out some performance from it, so far it does me well!

I'm waiting till I get my DSLR for Christmas. But I will still like my Point & shoot. It take nice pictures.

Anyone here with dSLRs have a straight 50mm lens particularly the Canon 50mm EF f1.8, how are they in terms of taking pictures in the subway?

At F/1.8 that would be a good lens to use in the subway. The lower the "F" number the bigger the aperture, which means more light entering the lens. You can't go wrong with it.

Well I'll take a crack at this in terms of getting the subway shots you want.

With the lens being wide-open like that at F/1.8, it allows for more light and therefore using rather reasonale shutter speeds for underground shots and moving trains. I don't have a lens such as that you describe but I do plan on getting on for the DSLR I have because the 3200 level ISO that is on my camera isn't enough for really well lit underground photos of moving trains.....

With the lens being wide-open like that at F/1.8, it allows for more light and therefore using rather reasonale shutter speeds for underground shots and moving trains. I don't have a lens such as that you describe but I do plan on getting on for the DSLR I have because the 3200 level ISO that is on my camera isn't enough for really well lit underground photos of moving trains.....

...and what he said too. :)

Fifties are golden on full-frame cameras, but they're a bit tight when you use them on a crop sensor. It's the main reason why my 50 usually stays in my bag, where my 35mm f/2 practically lives on my camera. I've got a number of lenses, if you're interested i'd be willing to meet up with you so you can try them out before you go out and buy something.

Fifties are golden on full-frame cameras, but they're a bit tight when you use them on a crop sensor. It's the main reason why my 50 usually stays in my bag, where my 35mm f/2 practically lives on my camera. I've got a number of lenses, if you're interested i'd be willing to meet up with you so you can try them out before you go out and buy something.

the truth is, as it turns out, one of my friends had one he had for a while and hardly ever used so i got it from him cheap, much cheaper than i would get it new. (and it wasnt like it was an expensive lens new anyway)

As for getting together, I aint going anywhere untill this weather warms up :)

I've been looking into photo hosting sites (free or $) with your own domain, can anyone recommend from experience? The reason I ask is because my Photobucket is getting fuller and the quality of the pictures is decreased when uploading... :tdown:

Either make room for your new photos by deleting old ones or go try another site. I think there may be more solutions though. Give it a try though.

You will need to google to see if theres any..

You have a few choices...

-Fine a better Image Hosting company

-Pay up for Premium service, more bandwidth, Extra Storage, etc. (Photobucket has it)

-Delete or move your photos. Or create a new account with another email/User name

-Apply for Free or low cost Web Hosting, which you can store your images online on your own web host and even create a website gallery.

Like my website, i have a Wallpaper Gallery which I have photos stored on my server.. And show to others. Even tho I pay for my server and domain.. (Which included main website(forum), gallery, blog)

*Note that if you buy a server, and want to create a Website Gallery, you will need a Sub-Domain/Domain

Sub- yourwebsitename.abc123.com (Free or cost)

Domain- yourwebsitename.com (Cost Money, /yr, unless you get free domain like .cc or .tk)

.com, .net .info what ever..

If you have an old desktop and are willing to convert to a server, you can manage it right from home without it costing you a dime. (Except the hdd is that needs upgrading)

If not, you can always go with webhosting plans, (I use Hosting24) where you can just install gallery software and manage your pics from there.