General Camera/Photography Discussion

Who makes the camera that you shoot transit with?  

26 members have voted

1. 1. Who makes the camera that you shoot transit with?

For that price, get the Nikon D90. Nikon makes top notch DSLR cameras and their Nikkor line of lenses are amazing. I think UrbanFortitude, Joe, Harry, BrightonLocal, Fred G and I all shoot with Nikon DSLRs and I'm certain they would all agree that Nikon is the best bang for your buck when it comes to DSLRs.

Nikon is definitely a brand that came to mind, but during the video mode for the D90's, which I would be using a lot of, has a lot of rolling shutter, which is the jelly wobbling effect. I know that most DSLR's have some sort of rolling shutter in video, major or minor, but for some Nikon camera's it can get pretty bad. The GH1 has a minimal jelly effect. But im not all concerned about video. But anyway, the GH1 can take some other lenses like the Nikkor, with either a adapter with it or it can just fit right on.

The 3 brands im thinking about as of now are Nikon, Canon and Lumix. Im just keeping an open mind till around December time.

• Replies 822
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well the first thing you should do then is go to B&H or J&R and go try them out in person, see how they fit in your hand, the weight of the camera. Then you can start narrowing down models, after all, if you're going to be shooting all day, you need to be comfortable with the camera.

If you're looking for a point and shoot, i'd go with either Canon or the Panasonic Lumix line. The Panasonic LX3 is a very capable P&S and i've seen some impressive material from it.

For SLRs, Canon, Nikon and Panasonic all make great cameras. The model you quoted, the GH1 is an impressive camera. It can take Nikkor and Leica lenses in addition to [Micro ]4/3rds lenses. The deciding factor between the three would likely be the cameras' ergonomics, that is, how it feels in your hand.

The GH1 takes Micro 4/3rds lenses natively. 4/3rds lenses can be used with an adapter, as well as Leica M, Nikon F and Voigtlander lenses. If one was looking for a [relatively] cheap way to use Leica M glass, the GH1 would be a great body to use.

If Dave does get the GH1, i'd be very interested to see how it performs.

My suggestion is to save up and get a DSLR.

That is the best option by nature, but for those who don't wish to make such an investment, the best thing to do is to experiment with the camera you have. Daniel, I have a similar camera, and I have found that simply playing around with it has given me amazing results. But don't forget the number one tip, hon-- Remain perfectly still.

Also, try practicing a little bit more above ground before you work your way into underground and night shots. Practice makes perfect!

Issue is that while J&R does pricematch, they do are more strict in returns compared to B&H even though B&H is a bit more.

Not even price match, they have good prices on batteries, chargers, memory etc, all the "extra" stuff to support the camera.

- A

Practice is important. You must learn to make lemonade out of lemons. Thats how you get better photographing. Take photos of the ends of trains instead of the side. Also railfan outdoors as there is wide open space to. Also stay still and hold your breath when photographing indoors and use long platforms such as West 4th's Platforms.

• 2 weeks later...

Well went to B&H today and got the camera with a 3 year warranty. The total came out to $1,845 with tax. The thing is someone has to pick it up at the Brooklyn Naval Yard sometime this week since they didn't have it in stock at the store. :P If I loose that receipt i'm screwed lol

Well went to B&H today and got the camera with a 3 year warranty. The total came out to $1,845 with tax. The thing is someone has to pick it up at the Brooklyn Naval Yard sometime this week since they didn't have it in stock at the store. :P If I loose that receipt i'm screwed lol

$1,845 **gasp**

where you getting that kinda scratch??

what camera did you buy mr. trump