General Camera/Photography Discussion

Who makes the camera that you shoot transit with?  

26 members have voted

1. 1. Who makes the camera that you shoot transit with?

Guys we shouldn't be poking him cuz he got a new cam. So what? Its his money, he can do what ever he want. I dont care what he gets. It doesn't affect me. Like many people i know got the Kodak Z1485 IS cam i got and i even suggest them it too.

kodak-easyshot-z1485-is-2.jpg

Ya should stopping being pokey for this crap. Just MOVE on... Who cares!

Hey im planning on getting a DSLR or DSLR based camera this summer/Fall time so what? Even tho i got my Kodak in September of 2009.. I wanna get something better!

Of course Daniel you also need to take care of your camera and not get it dirty and stuff. Keep it clean and maintain it. And play with it to get Better shots, its not about getting a camera similar to someone. You gotta play with it in a good way. And do other stuff with the cam instead of including CPW in every shots you take, Becuz every photo topic i see such as an IRT topic, you include the CPW in it.. Which is getting REAL old bro..

I'm more worried about him thinking the camera affects how good your photos come out, really he needs to work on his skills rather than spending bills. Practice makes perfect... In general you can't buy photography skills (especially with camera models), it's not hooked on phonics! If you go to a more advanced camera and don't know how to use the current one, you're going to have a much harder time taking the photo you want!

• Replies 822
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm more worried about him thinking the camera affects how good your photos come out, really he needs to work on his skills rather than spending bills.

Cut the bullshit already, the better your tools are the better images you can produce period. Yes, there's skill involved in it but if your shooting with junk most likely you're going to produce junk. Many professional photographers would agree with this logic.

He's shooting with a point-and-shoot camera there's only so much he can do to increase the quality of his photographs. The best thing Daniel can do is save his money and invest in a beginner/prosumer DSLR and put the point-and-shoot crap to rest already. And at the same time he can shut all of you guys up too.

Cut the bullshit already, the better your tools are the better images you can produce period. Yes, there's skill involved in it but if your shooting with junk most likely you're going to produce junk. Many professional photographers would agree with this logic.

He's shooting with a point-and-shoot camera there's only so much he can do to increase the quality of his photographs. The best thing Daniel can do is save his money and invest in a beginner/prosumer DSLR and put the point-and-shoot crap to rest already. And at the same time he can shut all of you guys up too.

Ooooooooh. Thats beef on my block.Tell em Harry:p

Ooooooooh. Thats beef on my block.Tell em Harry:p

Nah chill man I'm tired of everyone always trying to pick on this kid. He obviously has money to burn with all the cameras he's been buying. I forget how many. Instead of spending it on crappy P&S cameras invest in any of the Nikon D3000/5000, D40, D90 or Canon Rebel, 40D, 50D kits and really get into photography.

(C). You will NOT get decent moving train shots underground with any camera unless its a (D)(S)(L)(R).

And even then, you will need the proper lens for one to shoot moving trains underground (or be able to work with one have, but some lens just don't work for the underground movement).

Just because a SLR is a good camera dont mean it will automatically shoot 100% great underground shots. Just as Pablo said one needs a good lens that will shoot underground pics. And a Point n Shoot cam will not get good underground shots.

These were taken with my Nikon D3000 and shot with the basic 18-55mm VR lens.

DSC_0034.jpg

DSC_0036.jpg

The right combination of body, lens and photographer are required to have a consistent level of "quality". These three attributes cannot always adjust in the right ratios...for example a good photographer might not be able to overcome the technical limitations of "crap" equipment.

Just because a SLR is a good camera dont mean it will automatically shoot 100% great underground shots. Just as Pablo said one needs a good lens that will shoot underground pics. And a Point n Shoot cam will not get good underground shots.

These were taken with my Nikon D3000 and shot with the basic 18-55mm VR lens.

That 18-55mm is a good kit lens. I use it with my D40 and you've seen the quality shots I've gotten from it.

DSC_4860.JPG

Ok here's my two cents....

Point and Shoots get good shots underground and at night...if the thing your trying to take a pic of is either

A. Standing Still

4495239211_a6cdea427b_o.jpg

or

B. Intentionally blurred (i.e. the speeding train shots)

4495058555_c75852618d_o.jpg

Daniel you gotta start at the bottom and WORK your way up to the top. Not just buy a new camera because you think it'll automatically turn you into an epic photographer. Itll only make you look like a fool when someone with a crappier camera comes along with better pics than you and your DSLR. I'm still at the bottom with a point and shoot too but I'm working my way up with the same camera and not just jumping the gun from a consumer point and shoot to a high grade camera thinking it'll make me any better. The camera doesn't always make the photographer. You can be a good photographer if you just cool it with all the cameras...learn the one you have and learn it well, it's flaws and advantages, and work with them both to the best of your ability...and if you think your ready then you move to the next higher up camera and so on and so forth.

In the end, wait a little while (longer than a few weeks) before you buy a new camera and work with it and learn it the best you can and go take some epic shots. Stand still underground is the best advice I can give you. Plus don't wear out the same techniques and angles over and over and try to invent some new ones or use some nobody's used in a while to add some pizazz to your pics.

I have spoken.

I used point and shoots and at one time the same model, there's photos my friend took with a disposable camera that looks better than some stuff I have posted with a Kodak P880! I have worked with cameras people call pieces of craps and next thing you know they wonder how I do it, if you learn your camera you can work wonders. No bull here. Sure your photos generally come out better but it's best to learn how to mess with your current camera so you can have an idea on how to use an advanced one. I used a Nikon E5600 and it came out clearer than many photos taken with DSLR cameras. People hate the Nikon E5600 with a passion too but I love it!

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs107.snc1/5063_1089729844603_1267194062_30235236_917802_n.jpg

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs107.snc1/5063_1089729884604_1267194062_30235237_1837542_n.jpg

http://hphotos-sjc1.fbcdn.net/hs379.snc3/24238_1251285123384_1267194062_30603270_4908817_n.jpg

Taken with a point and shoot POS Nikon, but hopefully you see where I'm going with this.

I used point and shoots and at one time the same model, there's photos my friend took with a disposable camera that looks better than some stuff I have posted with a Kodak P880! I have worked with cameras people call pieces of craps and next thing you know they wonder how I do it, if you learn your camera you can work wonders. No bull here. Sure your photos generally come out better but it's best to learn how to mess with your current camera so you can have an idea on how to use an advanced one. I used a Nikon E5600 and it came out clearer than many photos taken with DSLR cameras. People hate the Nikon E5600 with a passion too but I love it!

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs107.snc1/5063_1089729844603_1267194062_30235236_917802_n.jpg

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs107.snc1/5063_1089729884604_1267194062_30235237_1837542_n.jpg

http://hphotos-sjc1.fbcdn.net/hs379.snc3/24238_1251285123384_1267194062_30603270_4908817_n.jpg

Taken with a point and shoot POS Nikon, but hopefully you see where I'm going with this.

You couldn't have said it better! those are great photos and I will not spend a spine and a lung on an SLR if my current point-and-shoot is still yielding crafter-award winning photos!

Nice crisp clear photos but all flat lifeless photos. Yes today's and even some of yesterdays point and shoot cameras can produce clear crisp pictures but I'm talking about dept of field. Point and shoot cameras, at least not any I've seen recently can produce depth of field (DOF) like a DSLR can.

Look I posted before out of anger and I let it get to me there. I'm just getting tired of people ganging up on the kid all the time. If he wants to learn and shoot real photography, he should stop wasting his money and get a DSLR.

Taken with a DSLR. The large depth of field is obvious in this photograph. I hope you see where I'm going with this.

2_DSC2629.jpg

I believe this is how Daniel eventually wants to shoot. If he doesn't then I apologize and I'll just leave it like that.

Nice crisp clear photos but all flat lifeless photos. Yes today's and even some of yesterdays point and shoot cameras can produce clear crisp pictures but I'm talking about dept of field. Point and shoot cameras, at least not any I've seen recently can produce depth of field (DOF) like a DSLR can.

Look I posted before out of anger and I let it get to me there. I'm just getting tired of people ganging up on the kid all the time. If he wants to learn and shoot real photography, he should stop wasting his money and get a DSLR.

Taken with a DSLR. The large depth of field is obvious in this photograph. I hope you see where I'm going with this.

2_DSC2629.jpg

I believe this is how Daniel eventually wants to shoot. If he doesn't then I apologize and I'll just leave it like that.

nice shot Harry. I don't want a DSLR Yet (probably not until next year).

You couldn't have said it better! those are great photos and I will not spend a spine and a lung on an SLR if my current point-and-shoot is still yielding crafter-award winning photos!

My man, you can get a decent DSLR beginner setup for as low as $400 with a nice lens. To start with and learn from there. What does a PS3 costs these days? What does an XBox 360 cost? The games? What does an iPod touch cost? If you're serious about photography you shell out the money. I got the camera I got because I'm serious about my photography and I have the job and the money to get it. It's all about priorities. You want to play games or learn and shoot quality photos.

Look what Julio shoots with and look at the beautiful images he produces. Ask him how much his setup cost. I bet it was as much or less than a PS3 and two games. I bet most of you guys have over $500 in games alone. Get my drift.

My man, you can get a decent DSLR beginner setup for as low as $400 with a nice lens. To start with and learn from there. What does a PS3 costs these days? What does an XBox 360 cost? The games? What does an iPod touch cost? If you're serious about photography you shell out the money. I got the camera I got because I'm serious about my photography and I have the job and the money to get it. It's all about priorities. You want to play games or learn and shoot quality photos.

Look what Julio shoots with and look at the beautiful images he produces. Ask him how much his setup cost. I bet it was as much or less than a PS3 and two games. I bet most of you guys have over $500 in games alone. Get my drift.

Agreed. I also agree about DSLRs giving life to your photos. I got my D5000 last week and took it out for a spin on Saturday. If I can push out photos such as: (Click for full size)

main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=1074&g2_serialNumber=2

&

main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=1244&g2_serialNumber=2

It's definitely worth it. And those two are just with Auto Mode. Imagine what more I could do when I drop it and move more towards the other modes.

Hanging out under the Hellgate Bridge with my DSLR. There isn't a point and shoot camera on this planet that I know of that can produce the large depth of field (DOF) that's shown in the following photos.

Nikon D700 using the 24-70mm f/2.8

DSC5001.jpg

Since we're on the topic of Photography techniques, I think one should develop a style first. Me, i work with HORRIBLE POS camera but I still can get some OK shots

normal_V_007.JPG

Some good shots even transit ones can be made with a little bit of style. Sometimes, when all the photos look the same, it can turn ones head away from said Photos.