Mid-Day Flatbush Shooting Sends Bullets on the B35

MHV9218

I don't know about you but sh*t in NYC goes down in any season.

Sure it does, but everybody knows that hot summers mean hot streets.

Why wouldn't you have??  :huh:

It's not that bad an area, hasn't been for the past dozen years. Some parts of Church are obviously better, but it's not Compton in the 80s...

It's not that bad an area, hasn't been for the past dozen years. Some parts of Church are obviously better, but it's not Compton in the 80s...

As far as I'm concerned anything above Avenue H or Avenue I is a no-go for me depending on where in Brooklyn I'm at in comparison to Flatbush.  <_<

Here we go again...

It's a highly populated neighborhood with TONS of apartment buildings.... Mix that together with this insane heat and humidity and it's a recipe for disaster.  The more densely populated an area is there usually tends to be more crime. Flatbush has always been a hot spot anyway.  Probably drug related.

VG8 relax...just because of the things you hear on the news/ past events from 25-30yrs ago, does not mean thats how the area is today...places change, and Flatbush has been one of them, of course you have your reckless cab drivers but safety wise, your good 95% of the time.

About the shooting...smh...i guess its the summer season because crime has went down throughout the winter in NYC

No. Stop. Now, please. We all know where this is headed.

Although, I was under the impression that the neighborhood wasn't so good aswell.

I lived in Brooklyn for years so I'm familiar with Flatbush.  Some parts are on the up and up and some parts aren't.  It's still very much in transition so I stand by my statement. It's no Brownsville, but it's certainly not a Dyker Heights or a Bay Ridge either.

I lived in Brooklyn for years so I'm familiar with Flatbush. Some parts are on the up and up and some parts aren't. It's still very much in transition so I stand by my statement. It's no Brownsville, but it's certainly not a Dyker Heights or a Bay Ridge either.

...and just what the hell are you trying to imply there

As far as I'm concerned anything above Avenue H or Avenue I is a no-go for me depending on where in Brooklyn I'm at in comparison to Flatbush.  <_<

You may have your reasons, but as a East Flatbush resident, I can tell you Flatbush isn't bad at all. Yes you have your crazed dollar cab drivers, and loud music here and there BUT the area is safe. Bullets into a MTA bus is a first I've ever heard of in all my 10+ years living here.

...and just what the hell are you trying to imply there

Brownsville is known for having a high amount of crime.  It's not exactly a secret so I don't know why you're getting all pissed off for.  It's been that way for years, WAY before you moved there and I don't see it changing anytime soon. 

It's a highly populated neighborhood with TONS of apartment buildings.... Mix that together with this insane heat and humidity and it's a recipe for disaster.  The more densely populated an area is there usually tends to be more crime. Flatbush has always been a hot spot anyway.  Probably drug related.

Tell me how Bay Ridge hasnt had a shooting in YEARS...

You may have your reasons, but as a East Flatbush resident, I can tell you Flatbush isn't bad at all. Yes you have your crazed dollar cab drivers, and loud music here and there BUT the area is safe. Bullets into a MTA bus is a first I've ever heard of in all my 10+ years living here.

My parents lived in Flatbush before their apartment was robbed going back to when Flatbush was starting to go down the tubes so to speak.  After that they moved out and never looked back.  Can't blame them to be honest.  BrooklynBus is relate to this since he used to live in Flatbush back in the old days.  As I said some parts are okay and some parts are starting to gentrify but some pockets are still quite crazy.  The closest my mom ever came to living near Flatbush again was when we lived in Midwood but even that was a stretch since we were closer to Coney Island Avenue more than anything else.

Tell me how Bay Ridge hasnt had a shooting in YEARS...

LOL... Bay Ridge is dense but nowhere like Flatbush. It's further out and more isolated if anything, so it doesn't fit into the category in any way shape or forum.  

My parents lived in Flatbush before their apartment was robbed going back to when Flatbush was starting to go down the tubes so to speak.  After that they moved out and never looked back.  Can't blame them to be honest.  BrooklynBus is relate to this since he used to live in Flatbush back in the old days.  As I said some parts are okay and some parts are starting to gentrify but some pockets are still quite crazy.

LOL... Bay Ridge is dense but nowhere like Flatbush. It's further out and more isolated if anything, so it doesn't fit into the category in any way shape or forum.

5th Av has way more pedestrians than Flatbush Avenue.

5th Av has way more pedestrians than Flatbush Avenue.

Are you serious that with that comment?? That is certainly not true.  I've been a Brooklyn resident for over 15 years. I grew up in South Brooklyn and am in Bay Ridge A LOT.  Flatbush is much more dense than Bay Ridge and Flatbush Avenue is certainly much more dense than 5th Avenue.

http://www.city-data.com/neighborhood/Flatbush-Brooklyn-NY.html

http://www.city-data.com/neighborhood/Bayridge-Brooklyn-NY.html

Flatbush beats Bay Ridge by a mile in population.

Growing up in East Flatbush, I remember hearing shootings during some summer nights. Usually took place near Utica (hot spot). East Flatbush really isn't all that safe... 

*edit* Also, technically this took place in East Flatbush, Flatbush would be west of Nostrand...

The more densely populated an area is there usually tends to be more crime.

I know, right? All those gang fights in the Upper East Side have me shaking my head all the time.

In all seriousness, New York City is still seeing that general downward trend with crime. This isn't Chicago.

I know, right? All those gang fights in the Upper East Side have me shaking my head all the time.

In all seriousness, New York City is still seeing that general downward trend with crime. This isn't Chicago.

The key is general.  The bigger the city is in the U.S. it usually has more crime.  Of course this doesn't ALWAYS apply. We're talking about in general.  There will be exceptions to the rule.

Brownsville is known for having a high amount of crime. It's not exactly a secret so I don't know why you're getting all pissed off for. It's been that way for years, WAY before you moved there and I don't see it changing anytime soon.

Remind me again...when was the last time you stepped foot in Brownsville? What year was it when you last brought yourself to "the hood"?

Is not as bad as you're making it out to be. You making it seem like someone gonna automatically run your pockets as soon as you step off the (3) train. This isn't the 80s anymore, times have changed and it is a lot safer than what it used to be.

The key is general.  The bigger the city is in the U.S. it usually has more crime.  Of course this doesn't ALWAYS apply. We're talking about in general.  There will be exceptions to the rule.

New York is the biggest exception to the rule - aren't we ranked like in the low 200s on crime per 100,000 people?

The densest county in the United States is Union City, NJ, and it's pretty safe over there.

Archived