What if the T/O has to use the bathroom badly on the job ?

E For Erica

Well as a IT professional studying in nursing getting ready to be an RN from a lev 3 helpdesk computer tech I'm just throwing the facts out there in terms of anatomy and physiology, bodily function and how to protect oneself from pathogens that can cause infection. One time during a code blue I had to assist in a childbirth.

Other times I had patients die in my arms. It's real. But I am leaving the IT field because my goal is to enter a well paying, secure, traditional profession where I can express my drive to save lives.

Well as a IT professional studying in nursing getting ready to be an RN from a lev 3 helpdesk computer tech I'm just throwing the facts out there in terms of anatomy and physiology, bodily function and how to protect oneself from pathogens that can cause infection. One time during a code blue I had to assist in a childbirth.

I learned all of my anatomy from playing doctor. :D

Other times I had patients die in my arms. It's real. But I am leaving the IT field because my goal is to enter a well paying, secure, traditional profession where I can express my drive to save lives.

Don't get your hopes up about the life-saving thing. You only end up using your life-saving skills about 10% of the time, no matter what part of the medical field you're in.

There are many employee bathrooms throughout the subway system.  They will hold the train while the motorman uses the bathroom.  I see it happen a few times per year.

I don't want to come off as a d*** but you should've been more specific because your post comes off as misinform-al and the question was answered already.

"Ladies & Gentlemen, We are delayed because of train traffic ahead of us... Please be patient" :lol:

Actually I cover for my T/O by telling the customers that "Ladies & Gentlemen, the train operator needs to drop off a form D in the dispatcher's office. We will be moving in a minute" .... she's dropping SOMETHING off alright! Nobody's gonna buy that "train traffic ahead" line when they see the T/O running off the train.

BTW 34/6 and 145 St N/B, and W4 S/B are good places for the T/O to take a comfort, as the bathroom is right there. So far I haven't had to make any mid-trip dropoffs yet.....

• 3 weeks later...

A dispatcher can tell you that you can't take a comfort THERE, but then are responsible for providing an alternate nearby location that won't jack up the road as badly. And if a crew member requests a mid trip comfort too often, then they will be sent to the medical center and possibly restricted from the road if they have a health problem.

And by contract, you are allowed up to 15 minutes to take a comfort between trips, GOs be damned.

can the dispatcher tell you that you can't take a comfort if your train is late? i heard that on the midnights you cant even take a comfort because of all the G.O.s. is that true?

NO. ONE. CAN DENY YOU A COMFORT. You get on the radio and let Control Center know, and not being a weisenheimer about it might stave off a request for a G2 and/or visit to the MAC, after that, what's the dispatcher's responsibility? Update the reason for [the train] being late, get another T/O to jump ahead maybe, but he can't stop you.

And no, you can't get off the train for a comfort between stations, they could hit you with abandoning your train and customers in the very least.

Sure, nothing more professional than hauling a bucket of urine in and out of your cab...

The thought alone is repulsive and inhumane.

Well speaking as a guy, I'd just bring (half)gallon jug, a large jar and some wipes with me, wouldn't want to be take unnecessary comforts and get in trouble. 

I could take a urine break at stations in empty jug, and if I had to do a number 2, a nice glass or plastic jar will do, they contain solids fine, and if things get messy, the splatter  would be contained by the jar. You close/screw the lid, no smell, you leave the cab with a shopping bag and you're good.

I keep an empty water bottle in my car just in case I have to take a wizz on the road, of course I pull over, but that is much more efficient than looking for a restroom, or parking spot then restroom.

Archived