Metro-North passenger train derails in NYC

6 Lexington Ave

Now, I'm sure this would be an inter-agency fiasco, but couldn't Metro North Hudson trains be sent down the Amtrak ROW to Penn Station temporarily? 

Numerous things would have to happen for this to be possible. 

1) Amtrak allowing it.  This includes making slots in already congested Penn Station for the extra trains.

2) Equipment compadibility.  I do not believe that Metro North trains are compadible going to Penn Station but don't quote me on it.

3) The train crew qualified on the territory.  Both the engineer and conductor have to be qualified on the physical charictoristics of the territory.  This includes knowing where the signals are, interlockings, speeds in the area, etc..

The only way to get around #3 is if Amtrak provides a pilot to go on each train operating.  A pilot is a qualified individual that can tell the engineer what to look for.

• Replies 391
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Many thanks nostalgia!  I see.  I thought the alerter system was for speed as well.  Thanks for clearing that up.  Wow.  So many things fell into place for this tragedy to happen it seems.

Your welcome. Here's more information about the alerter system. The frequency it goes off depends on the speed of the train. The faster the train moves, the more frequent the alarm goes off. Pushing the acknowledge button is one way to turn off the alerter. (But it will sound again after the next time interval.) Another way to acknowledge the alerter is to move the throttle of brake handle. The alerter is looking for movement from the engineer to indicate (s)he is awake and responding.

Train has an alerter system. If the engineer doesn't press the acknowledge button after the alerter goes off, the train dumps its air. There is no dead man's switch.

Trains use cab signals, which have nothing to do with speed restrictions. They signal if the track is clear ahead. (This is somewhat overstated to easily explain.)

You have it backwards.  Shoreliners have a deadman's pedal and no alerter.

It's outrageous to ask Riverdalians to pay for peak service on Metro-North and then have us make 3 or 4 transfers just to get to Grand Central and call that "equivalent service" when they're paying for a premium service.  That commute takes double the time to make!

Newsflash, you are not better than anyone else!  Everyone is being inconvenienced so get over it!

Numerous things would have to happen for this to be possible. 

2) Equipment compadibility.  I do not believe that Metro North trains are compadible going to Penn Station but don't quote me on it.

You are correct. It was written in an earlier post that Metro North and LIRR trains don't have the same type of 3rd rail pickup. One is above the rail and the other is below the rail. I forget which is which.

Not to drag this off topic but a news report claimed the engineer was making over 100K in salary with overtime. Just out of curiosity how much money do MTA train engineers make ?

If anything I wonder if the (MTA) will examine overtime procedures because of this guy.  Some of these guys love overtime, but they may not be getting enough sleep.  

If anything I wonder if the (MTA) will examine overtime procedures because of this guy.  Some of these guys love overtime, but they may not be getting enough sleep.

This is pure conjecture on your part. Because of the length of the railroad, it might not be able to work exactly 8 hours a day or 40 hours a week. Working overtime doesn't mean taking on additional work. It could mean you need 10 hours to work 4 or 6 round trips a day.

This is pure conjecture on your part. Because of the length of the railroad, it might not be able to work exactly 8 hours a day or 40 hours a week. Working overtime doesn't mean taking on additional work. It could mean you need 10 hours to work 4 or 6 round trips a day.

I'm aware of that but nevertheless they still may examine it and quite frankly I think they must look at it.  If the shifts are too long then they need to examine that and see what they can do to ensure that these engineers aren't being overworked. These are long hours and these guys sometimes don't get enough rest. I know of one guy that takes naps when he can when he has long layovers to keep himself fresh but not everyone does that or can do that.  

I do not believe that Metro North trains are compadible going to Penn Station but don't quote me on it.You are correct. It was written in an earlier post that Metro North and LIRR trains don't have the same type of 3rd rail pickup. One is above the rail and the other is below the rail. I forget which is which.
LIRR is over running, like the subway, MNR is underrunning. It apparently is called Wilgus-Sprague.

lol... This isn't about me.  This is about the commuters and I've stated this before.  Learn how to read.  You just have a problem with anyone criticizing the (MTA)

No, you have it wrong, it's not about anyone that criticizes the MTA.  It's about some people that have a holier than thou attitude and expect Rolls Royces when they are paying for Honda service. 

Four people got killed Sunday with dozens more injured and all you care about is YOUR inconveinence (of course and other "Riverdalians".  Why you don't just say others that live in the Bronx with the likes of Marble Hill, University and Morris Heights as they pay just as much as you!

Go back and read everytime you were challenged on any comment you made.  Like when you said you are not affected by the New Haven accident but later stated you're staying away from Metro North until it's cleared up.  You flip flop it like the best of politicians. 

It's time to suck up your inconveinence and the other "Riverdalians" (that live in the Bronx because after all, it's not about you), stop your bellyaching and move on.

No, you have it wrong, it's not about anyone that criticizes the MTA.  It's about some people that have a holier than thou attitude and expect Rolls Royces when they are paying for Honda service. 

Four people got killed Sunday with dozens more injured and all you care about is YOUR inconveinence (of course and other "Riverdalians".  Why you don't just say others that live in the Bronx with the likes of Marble Hill, University and Morris Heights as they pay just as much as you!

Go back and read everytime you were challenged on any comment you made.  Like when you said you are not affected by the New Haven accident but later stated you're staying away from Metro North until it's cleared up.  You flip flop it like the best of politicians. 

It's time to suck up your inconveinence and the other "Riverdalians" (that live in the Bronx because after all, it's not about you), stop your bellyaching and move on.

Well I do use Metro-North, but it is not my primary means of transportation, so no it isn't "about me".  I sympathize for my fellow Riverdalians because I know how grueling that commute can be on the subway.  I live in Riverdale, not Marble Hill, University Heights or Morris Heights, so I'm not going to be too concerned about those communities in the Bronx.  I'm sure you put your community first and foremost and that's exactly what I'm doing.  This is just you taking issue with the fact that anyone dare question the procedures of the (MTA) because they walk on gold of course and can do no wrong. There is never a good time in your book to criticize the (MTA)...

I'm aware of that but nevertheless they still may examine it and quite frankly I think they must look at it.  If the shifts are too long then they need to examine that and see what they can do to ensure that these engineers aren't being overworked. These are long hours and these guys sometimes don't get enough rest. I know of one guy that takes naps when he can when he has long layovers to keep himself fresh but not everyone does that or can do that.  

There are restrictions already in place that limit the number of hours worked, time off in between shifts and consecutive days worked.  These limitations are mandated by the federal government (FRA).  Both engineers and conductors are must follow these rules or face disiplinary and/or monitary penilties.

That person you know that rests is likely on what's called "interm release" where you are basically on your own time.

There are restrictions already in place that limit the number of hours worked, time off in between shifts and consecutive days worked.  These limitations are mandated by the federal government (FRA).  Both engineers and conductors are must follow these rules or face disiplinary and/or monitary penilties.

Well they need to do more apparently. Is the engineer by himself at all times or is he joined by another colleague? 

Well I do use Metro-North, but it is not my primary means of transportation, so no it isn't "about me".  I sympathize for my fellow Riverdalians because I know how grueling that commute can be on the subway.  I live in Riverdale, not Marble Hill, University Heights or Morris Heights, so I'm not going to be too concerned about those communities in the Bronx.  I'm sure you put your community first and foremost and that's exactly what I'm doing.  This is just you taking issue with the fact that anyone dare question the procedures of the (MTA) because they walk on gold of course and can do no wrong. There is never a good time in your book to criticize the (MTA)...

I don't remember all the posts, but you seem to be the ONLY person complaining about how the (MTA) is dealing with this mess. I haven't read from commuters living in Tarrytown or Ossining complaining about their commute.

You just sing one note and frankly, it's tiring to listen to you.

I don't remember all the posts, but you seem to be the ONLY person complaining about how the (MTA) is dealing with this mess. I haven't read from commuters living in Tarrytown or Ossining complaining about their commute.

You just sing one note and frankly, it's tiring to listen to you.

Well who else uses the Hudson Line here regularly besides me? lol I'm generally the only one who criticizes the (MTA) on anything for the most part.  I'm the party buster around here for the brown nosers.

Well who else uses the Hudson Line here regularly besides me? lol I'm generally the only one who criticizes the (MTA) on anything for the most part.  I'm the party buster around here for the brown nosers.

And you seem to relish it which is why the validity of your comments are diminished. You remind me of the boy who cried wolf once too often.

And you seem to relish it which is why the validity of your comments are diminished. You remind me of the boy who cried wolf once too often.

I'll tell you one thing... It's a change of pace from the brown nosers.  

Here's something to chew on since you've been yapping about it to some extent throughout the thread:

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/crash-control-tech-stopped-derailment-article-1.1536175

lol I'm generally the only one who criticizes the (MTA) on anything for the most part. 

Well obviously like any agency or any private corperation, the MTA will have its internal problems, along with NYS with the past corruptive moves within Albany, as revealed historically and today to the public. That is not suprising to me at all. Regardless what do you expect the MTA to do in terms of transit alternatives and mitigating delays?

Particularly with the MNRR out for the count because of this tragedy? Causing NYC Transit to become overwhelmed? That cant be avoided no matter what one does.

Well obviously like any agency or any private corperation, the MTA will have its internal problems, along with NYS with the past corruptive moves within Albany, as revealed historically and today to the public. That is not suprising to me at all. Regardless what do you expect the MTA to do in terms of transit alternatives and mitigating delays?

Particularly with the MNRR out for the count because of this tragedy? Causing NYC Transit to become overwhelmed? That cant be avoided no matter what one does.

How about they get procedures in place so that these situations can go smoother for starters?  If the (MTA) is allowed to give themselves excuses when these sorts of things occur, they'll simply drag their feet and nothing will be done, so that the next time there's a problem on the Hudson Line, we'll be talking about the same thing and how the (MTA) is overwhelmed.  It's clear that infrastructure improvements are needed too because if the Harlem and New Haven lines can't handle any more capacity then that's a serious problem.

The sense of entitlement is strong.

You should be grateful to have a transit system with the headways it has. Even though its "grueling". You guys dont honestly know how good it is there with your transit system. Even with the headaches.

Now, I want to pose the question of administrative problems and pressures. Some one mentioned on time performance, and that is seriously a administrative pressure.  My uneducated mind about the matter thinks that there may be some prevalence of these in the situation. Who knows though.

+1

The sense of entitlement is strong.

You should be grateful to have a transit system with the headways it has. Even though its "grueling". You guys dont honestly know how good it is there with your transit system. Even with the headaches.

It isn't about entitlement.  It's about the fact that the majority of New Yorkers don't have cars and rely on public transportation to get around.  Transportation is a MUST here in NYC, not something that we should be "grateful" for because if it didn't exist no one would be able to get around because there would simply be too much traffic.  Knowing this therefore, it is imperative that the transportation here is on point, period.  No ifs ands or buts or excuses.

Don't argue with VG8. He doesn't sympathise till it happens to him.

Archived