New Part of the 7 Subway Makes its First Trip Friday — for the Mayor -WSJ

realizm

I do not see it

Using Tapatalk

Could be the fact you're on mobile.

If the uploader (in this case the MTA) sets the option to disable Mobile access, you can't watch it on mobile. Nothing you can do about it. Just get on a computer and watch it.

Yes, if the uploader sets the option to disable mobile access, you can't watch it on mobile.  Only thing wrong is, they did not set that option because I viewed it through my Samsung Galaxy SII just now.

With that fact out of the way, it's not because he is on mobile, it's probably Tapatalk not allowing the video link to show up. I have Tapatalk on my Nexus 7 but it's not on right now to confirm that. But I can guarantee that the video works on the mobile application.

@Union Tpke, just open up the YouTube app and type in 'mta.info' without the quotations and it should be the first video in the videos tab.

I wonder why they didn't break out a shiny new R188 for the occasion 

They took it out of service after it passed the 30 day test for unknown reasons. No idea but it passed. Plans are definitely set for it to return in January in passenger service with a second R188 11 car set introduced after its burn in testing is done. 

All photo credits to Ben Kabek of Second Ave Sagas. This is footage of the groundbreaking event @ 34th Street for the history books. 

"It will be six months yet — and, judging from the photos I snapped, maybe more — before passengers can ride the 7 train to 34th St. and 11th Ave., but as Friday’s ceremonial first ride demonstrated, uncharted territories of Manhattan will soon be on the (subway) map. When the official ribbon-cutting arrives, it will be a big day with New York’s first new subway stop nearly three decades, and as with any project of this magnitude, the gains are real but so are the mistakes. As Mayor Bloomberg stood at his podium Friday afternoon, I pondered some of those mistakes."

Read More: Source

Indeed I couldn't had said it any better. The 10th Ave Station station should have been built!

From the quote the mistake Mr. Kabek was pondering upon from his entry is the failure of the City Of New York to be able to fund the construction of the 10th Ave - 41st Street Station. He points out that one of Bloomberg's representatives in recent times has mentioned this in behalf of the mayor: “Unlike the extension to 34th Street and 11th Avenue, which the city is funding, a 10th Avenue station is not necessary to drive growth there,”. He adds: “A Tenth Avenue station would be nice, but it’s really a straight transportation project versus an economic development catalyst."

Photos: ( Link: http://www.flickr.com/photos/benyankee/sets/72157638861830194/with/11468882395/ )

11470436713_f11bf354b9_b.jpg

Credits to Ben Kabek, Second Ave Sagas

11468993293_7820a545d7_b.jpg

11468917444_4dd7603d68_b.jpg

11468840885_75e2632ebd_b.jpg

11468995433_411fe80e50_b.jpg

11468994233_cb17798615_b.jpg

11468989733_cb1d3de085_b.jpg

11468943196_8b07f71ae5_b.jpg

According to Tunnelrat of subchat whose source is a channel 11 reporter said that there is a provision for a 10th Av station. I hope this is true.

Using Tapatalk

Props to anyone who can spot the provisional structures from the front window of the Mayor Bloomberg special run of the (7)… because I don't see any.

Props to anyone who can spot the provisional structures from the front window of the Mayor Bloomberg special run of the (7)… because I don't see any.

The tunnel is just at a flat grade so that it's not a pain in the ass to put one in later.

The irony of the situation is that if they ever do decide to put in a station, most likely we'll have weekends with no subway access to Hudson Yards and it'll be like the extension never happened.

That's because there are none.
That's because there are none.

• 4 months later...

Instead of making a connection at 8th ave to the incompatible B Dvision, why not just extend the new line further south, thru the rapidly developing West Village, and link up with the 1,2,3 line around Chambers Street?

I believe the new line yard tracks already extend several blocks south of 34th street.....

Instead of making a connection at 8th ave to the incompatible B Dvision, why not just extend the new line further south, thru the rapidly developing West Village, and link up with the 1,2,3 line around Chambers Street?

I believe the new line yard tracks already extend several blocks south of 34th street.....

What connection with 8th Av? .__.

The lower level of 42nd Street station on the 8th Ave IND was completely severed with the construction of the (7) extension. So there are no plans for a cross division connection, it was never considered by the engineers.

Perhaps I misunderstood some of the earlier posts......I thought some were talking about establishing some kind of track connection from the 7 line to ramp around somehow, and connect to the 8th Avenue line in order to make maintenance moves....not for revenue trains...

So I made my suggestion with that in mind.....sorry for the misunderstanding....

Archived