New Part of the 7 Subway Makes its First Trip Friday — for the Mayor -WSJ

realizm

Have no idea why they did that, probably to slash costs of a costly junction to the rest of the IRT system. But in the plans of the (7) extension calls for an underground 7 block stretch of tail tracks to supplement Corona Yard capacity.

The move of say R62A's from the maintainance complexes into the IRT Flushing line is a hell of an operation. I observed it one time. It seemed that it reverse railed into Pacific Street from the Manny B (BMT 4th Ave Line) S/B from who knows where (207th Street shops, via 6th Ave IND?), went back up the N/B track to the Manny B (via Broadway?) to its destination in Astoria for access to the (7) , towed by locomotive and cab.

The line was previously connected to the IRT system, but that was with the Second Avenue El. For obvious reasons, that connection doesn't exist anymore.

Connections to either IRT trunk would be extremely complicated if not impossible due to their intersection under the two busiest intersections in New York. In the very far future, you could probably end up connecting the 7 via the West Side local tracks by extending north or south.

They should have found a way to tie in the 8th Ave lower level they insisted on severing for that. That would have put the existing ramp to good use.

Fun fact: before Hylan essentially ripped up all the Dual Contracts, the IRT had extended the line to its pre-extension length so that it would connect to the 8th Av subway it thought it was going to get.

After a bit of thought,

This was done quickly:

ojqmpf.png

There are essentially 2 ways to connect the two. Connecting from the Times Square station is obviously out of the question given the proximity. In the quick-and-dirty diagram I drafted (not to scale), the connection uses one of the two ramps. For safety and operational flexibility, the second choice is obviously superior as the switches never face the normal direction of traffic.

This was done quickly:

ojqmpf.png

There are essentially 2 ways to connect the two. Connecting from the Times Square station is obviously out of the question given the proximity. In the quick-and-dirty diagram I drafted (not to scale), the connection uses one of the two ramps. For safety and operational flexibility, the second choice is obviously superior as the switches never face the normal direction of traffic.

I approve!

Seems like the mayor will ride a 5 car set of R62A that is sitting on the 34th St bound track at Times Square into the extension. Not as packed with reporters and other folks, at the last check at 11:27AM but I am sure that will change fairly quickly. 

Seems like the mayor will ride a 5 car set of R62A that is sitting on the 34th St bound track at Times Square into the extension. Not as packed with reporters and other folks, at the last check at 11:27AM but I am sure that will change fairly quickly.

Actually, a 6-car set with 1806-1810 coupled to 1954

1)First LUTZLOL on Mayor Hylan and the IND's attempt to prevent an IRT extension with this lower level @ 42nd Street on 8th Ave. It didnt work.

2) Its going to be a heck of a steep radial curve to hit the tail tracks from the (7) to the 8th Ave line otherwise totally agree. For 207th Street Overhaul and Maintenance Shop/Concourse Yard access or CI Complex access. But I guess its about slashing costs and preventing cost overruns. I mean: If they can't build a simple station on 10th Avenue.....

tdn3.jpg

1) that's actually true

See the door in this picture:

img_769.jpg

That is a connection to the (7) tracks

Have no idea why they did that, probably to slash costs of a costly junction to the rest of the IRT system. But in the plans of the (7) extension calls for an underground 7 block stretch of tail tracks to supplement Corona Yard capacity.

The move of say R62A's from the maintainance complexes into the IRT Flushing line is a hell of an operation. I observed it one time. It seemed that it reverse railed into Pacific Street from the Manny B (BMT 4th Ave Line) S/B from who knows where (207th Street shops, via 6th Ave IND?), went back up the N/B track to the Manny B (via Broadway?) to its destination in Astoria for access to the (7) , towed by locomotive and cab.

The same wasn't done when they built the Archer Avenue subway, which of course is same B-division, but no connections between upper level E and lower level J trains.  A connection wouldn't allowed J trains to lay up in the Jamaica yard, but I guess they use East New York. 

The line was previously connected to the IRT system, but that was with the Second Avenue El. For obvious reasons, that connection doesn't exist anymore.

Connections to either IRT trunk would be extremely complicated if not impossible due to their intersection under the two busiest intersections in New York. In the very far future, you could probably end up connecting the 7 via the West Side local tracks by extending north or south.

Fun fact: before Hylan essentially ripped up all the Dual Contracts, the IRT had extended the line to its pre-extension length so that it would connect to the 8th Av subway it thought it was going to get.

Yes, via the Queensborough Bridge, and that ended in 1940 and was demolished as the City took over both the IRT and BMT divisions.

Remnants still exist (former approaches, where the current upper roadway now turns onto the span).  The lower level of the existing Flushing line originally had a crossover west of the platform.  A building now occupies that spot on the elevated structure. 

this is a great video of the new extention 

Wow, they made a RFW video of the new extension  :D 

I would have thought they would at least built the shell for the 10th Ave station, so if the money ever came to build it, all they would have to is add tiles, turnstiles, etc.

Also I'm shocked the TA made a PR video of the train going though a red signal in the beginning :lol:

Few weeks after a major derailment too...

this is a great video of the new extention 

The diamond switches are huge at 34 Street. I'm not sure if there's anything bigger than this in the NYC subway system. Maybe Grand Central has one like that, but this one is well-lit and you can simply see that the there is enough space for 2 more tracks in between in just that short segment. It also looks like there is one continuous platform from Times Square to 34 Street running within the tunnel with room for two people from the wall to the edge. A bit of shaving could probably make the tunnel available for use by BMT-sized trains.

^ 34th Street-Hudson Yards... someone paid the naming rights.

Well, that was part of the Hudson Yards deal itself. In all fairness though, it is by the actual yard.

The diamond switches are huge at 34 Street. I'm not sure if there's anything bigger than this in the NYC subway system. Maybe Grand Central has one like that, but this one is well-lit and you can simply see that the there is enough space for 2 more tracks in between in just that short segment. It also looks like there is one continuous platform from Times Square to 34 Street running within the tunnel with room for two people from the wall to the edge. A bit of shaving could probably make the tunnel available for use by BMT-sized trains.

All construction has been to BMT standard since the Dual Contracts. The number one problem with BMT conversion would still be Steinway-Hunterspoint.

Forgot to add this on, but those are the mandated emergency egress walkways that come with federal money. Los Angeles has them in its metro, as does DC.

I just hope they don't become camping grounds for the homeless.

Archived