NICE buses to get cellphone fare payment app

PinePower

I'm assuming (and hope) Metrocards will still be accepted, with this new app just an addition, not a replacement for Metrocard. Because getting rid of free transfers to the subway and unlimiteds would hurt ridership for sure.

LINK: http://www.newsday.com/long-island/nice-buses-to-get-cellphone-fare-payment-app-1.6630601

NICE Bus officials expect many riders will soon come aboard and swipe smartphone screens instead of MetroCards.

The head of the Nassau Inter-County Express said Tuesday the agency plans to roll out a new fare payment mobile application for riders that would be an alternative to the antiquated and glitch-plagued MetroCard.

The agency is finalizing a deal with an app developer and expects to begin testing the program early next year.

Micheal Setzer, NICE chief executive, said the app would allow smartphone users -- about 70 percent of its riders -- to pre-load an account, then pay for their ride by "triggering" the app as they board a bus.

The app would be more convenient than a MetroCard and it could be cheaper; it would charge the cash fare of $2.25 per ride rather than the MetroCard fare of $2.50.

Officials said the app would make NICE the largest bus-only transit agency in the country to feature mobile fare payment.

It also should reduce incidents of MetroCard "read errors" that some riders say rob value from their cards and keep them from boarding buses.

"They're ancient technology," Setzer said of the MetroCard during a presentation on the new app. "We think this will be a good solution for a lot of people."

The app would allow free transfers within NICE, but not to and from Metropolitan Transportation Authority buses and subways, as the MetroCard does.

Setzer said NICE is working with the MTA on a possible fix for that.

Aaron Watkins-Lopez, organizer for the Long Island Bus Riders Union, an advocacy group, said he expects to help test the app early next year.

He said it is important that the app not slow down riders boarding buses and that it be made available to as many riders as possible, including those who don't have credit or debit cards they can use to pay for trips.

Mangano and the whole operation has made it very clear they want to end MetroCard acceptance. First the lower cash fare, now this. What they don't realize is no one will use it and everyone will keep using their MetroCard so they can get free subway transfers.

Nice thought though. If the MTA was accepting it then it would work out great for both.

I think it will not work out well. I was at TAC meeting day before and some of MetroCard users don't have Iphone, Droid or Ipod, Smartphone.

From TAC Presentantion, Michael Setzler says "Bypasses MTA" and have 1-Day Pass, 7-Day Pass, 30-Day Pass) on NICE Bus's Presentation."

I think it will not work out well. I was at TAC meeting day before and some of MetroCard users don't have Iphone, Droid or Ipod, Smartphone.

From TAC Presentantion, Michael Setzler says "Bypasses MTA" and have 1-Day Pass, 7-Day Pass, 30-Day Pass) on NICE Bus's Presentation."

Sent from my BlackBerry PlayBook using Tapatalk

there are also Windows Mobile and Blackberry phones that have the technology built in them-called NFC, Near Field Communication-that will allow this.

this tech has been in use for a while in other countries. in fact here in the US, there are places like Tim Hortons and Starbucks who use this tech already. You can pay for your Starbucks coffee with your Blackberry or your Samsung.

It's an interesting concept, but for this to work, the whole Northeast Region should also initiate such. For decades now rhe MTA has talked about the much ballyhooed smartcard system to replace Metrocard, but no progress. Without regional support, Mangano may be biting off more than he can chew...

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk

You know, what NICE could do and hear me out, is work with Port Authority on accepting the SmartLink and possibly creating a joint PATH-NICE SmartLink app alternative for people with NFC phones. Even though NICE and PATH don't connect, using the Smartlink might compel the MTA to accept it in the future and drop the system similar to the CTA Ventra card they want to replace the Metro (Ventra has caused major problems for the CTA and riders alike and charges a ton of hidden fees, plus the open source platform doesn't even require a propeietary TA fare card, the MTA can instead opt to force people to use their own credit/debit smartcards as Metrocards instead of creating a "new Metrocard" and IIRC that is their stupid plan). After all, one of the goals of Smartlink on Port's end was to create a new payment card that the whole region would eventually use. Just my 2 cents that would potentially save the MTA from all the BS Ventra has brought the CTA.

Of course, still accepting the Metro is a must for NICE.

I think that NICE should just stay with MetroCard and cash fare. First of all, not everybody has a smartphone. Second of all, it dosen't offer transfers to the MTA buses. 

Since there are more places in the world where smartphone payment becomes an alternative to smart cards, I doubt the (MTA) wouldn t jump in on it at some point. Especially because the MetroCard is on its way out anyway (2017 IIRC).

Since there are more places in the world where smartphone payment becomes an alternative to smart cards, I doubt the (MTA) wouldn t jump in on it at some point. Especially because the MetroCard is on its way out anyway (2017 IIRC).

It's really NICE's time to jump on it when the MTA does so they have the same setup. But, the Smartlink idea isn't so bad either and would save the MTA from a lot of shit. Either way, when the MTA rolls out a smartcard there needs to be a separate transit-only card offered in addition to being able to use your regular credit/debit card, and it needs to be accepted on PATH, NICE, and Beeline. If NICE doesn't help Port with a regional Smartlink rollout then they should let the MTA do their thing and jump on it.

I agree with both of you lol. While a regional payment solution would be *the* best thing, Turbo19 is right that a controlled environment is a better testing platform. For reference, see (MTA) with CBTC. While not a payment system, it is something new and they've tested it out pretty well on the (L) before preparation for other lines began. It's a proven solution now. We could say the same in some years with NICE's payment system solution (and also because some other companies in the world also have started experimenting with smartphone payment systems as of late making it even easier to share information/experiences between companies).

Doesn't allow transfer to MTA?

This seems very unrealistic to me. First of all, MANY (not all indeed, but a huge majority) of NICE Bus riders (including myself) use the routes to Queens (6/6X, 4/4X, 22/22A/22X/22L, 24, 20/20L, 21) and do use the subway and MTA Buses, so this plan isnt feasible as one would have to pay twice if they use this method (unless they have student metrocards like I do, which I highly doubt.)

BUT

The metrocards are becoming obsolete (not only in Nassau indeed but all over.). I've had my own experience with the glitch last night. I got on the n6x (I didn't know they run so late... new schedule?) at 8;15pm at 169 station and got off at Hilton/Fulton around 8:57 (the n6x B/O sucked ass) and caught the n15 Long Beach at 9:01. My metrocard took off the $2.50 on the 6X as usual but as I get on the n15, it said "Read Error". The B/O almost kicked me off but I told him how young I was and it wasnt early at night either.. so I got lucky. Even with my young age, some B/Os will be ******s and will not let you on.

I appreciate NICE trying to do something new, but if they are going to do it, let it be feasible for EVERYONE that uses the system, not just a small percentage. Also, I fear that when this gets implemented, it won't get circulated enough, and people will not know that this option even exists. (Not everyone watches the news, and Veolia isn't the best at getting news out... I mean damn there are still people who don't know that Westminster isn't a stop on the 6X anymore...and I'm still waiting on the new Winter schedules that normally go in effect on december 30th) 

NICE would be extremely foolish to get rid of the Metrocard and decimate ridership on its most popular routes.  People will not pay a double-fare for very slow, delayed service to the Queens subways.  The app will be a disaster and a total waste of money, as nobody will use it unless it's also accepted at all 468 subway stations.  Better to just leave things as they are and focus on adding more express service to its busiest routes.

Everyone who loves the MetroCard: bummer for you, the (MTA) is getting rid of the MetroCard by 2017. They said so themselves. So it doesn't really matter anyway at this point if the MetroCard is widely used or not. 2017 is only 3 years away. As for the app, the article PinePower posted clearly states:

"The app would allow free transfers within NICE, but not to and from Metropolitan Transportation Authority buses and subways, as the MetroCard does.

Setzer said NICE is working with the MTA on a possible fix for that."

I know, there's a difference between saying something and actually doing something but since the details of the app and stuff have not been given, why don't we wait for the final product and then see what's possible (or not)?

Everyone who loves the MetroCard: bummer for you, the (MTA) is getting rid of the MetroCard by 2017. They said so themselves. So it doesn't really matter anyway at this point if the MetroCard is widely used or not. 2017 is only 3 years away. As for the app, the article PinePower posted clearly states:

"The app would allow free transfers within NICE, but not to and from Metropolitan Transportation Authority buses and subways, as the MetroCard does.

I know, there's a difference between saying something and actually doing something but since the details of the app and stuff have not been given, why don't we wait for the final product and then see what's possible (or not)?

No, MTA is getting rid of MetroCard by 2019. http://www.nytimes.com/2013/01/29/nyregion/metrocards-phaseout-postponed.html?_r=0

What I meant by getting rid of is 'introducing a new system and make commuters use that thus digging the grave for the MetroCard'.

But 2019 or not, it's not that far away. You don't just replace a payment system overnight. And in the meantime, Setzer is working with (MTA) on finding a solution for NICE's new system.

NICE would be extremely foolish to get rid of the Metrocard and decimate ridership on its most popular routes.  People will not pay a double-fare for very slow, delayed service to the Queens subways.  The app will be a disaster and a total waste of money, as nobody will use it unless it's also accepted at all 468 subway stations.  Better to just leave things as they are and focus on adding more express service to its busiest routes.

And where would express service go? Last I checked the parkways can't take buses

This I don goofed on the vote sorry

MTA won't go along with any type of system they propose, and even if they do, it won't do jack shit. Say they accept it at 179th and Jamaica Center only, yeah so that's a free transfer going to the city and nothing back.

I'll say it again, they HAVE to continue accepting Metros even with this app available. If they discontinue the Metro then ridership will plummet literally overnight.

Archived