Want to ride a vintage bus? Fugetaboutit

nostalgia

LOL at this ridiculousness about not naming B/O's. As others have posted, a B/O's badge is visible at all times and any person is free to write whatever they want about any B/O, but unless an official complaint is filed, no MTA bigwig is combing through these posts.

This is no different than some nutjob writing a rant online about any city or state employee who wears a nametag or badge--it's your right to do so, and no one is going to believe random internet postings without some official investigation. 

Yeah, I guess f*ck courtesy around here. Might as well name everyone here by their full names whether right or wrong eh?

I suppose so, as it's not like the individuals aren't out in public eye already.

By the way, just replied to your status on this issue. Perhaps I took it out of context, but regardless it's a reply.

I suppose so, as it's not like the individuals aren't out in public eye already.

By the way, just replied to your status on this issue. Perhaps I took it out of context, but regardless it's a reply.

Well technically everyone is out on public eye already, but a career-related topic with the addition of personal life should be exempted from these kind of discussions.

And a reply is a reply, I accept any, you're entitled to it.

Read it again. He asks who was driving it, then he states (in full name) who the vintage driver is. You can never be too sure on who it was (and people from the MTA read this, so to have a check on this), which may just get him in trouble (the driver), if he was driving that bus at the time. 

And also, c'mon, you don't find that a bit invasive?

I would see your point if Mr. Vinny (whatever) was infact the actual driver of this bus in question....

You said it yourself - Yuki asked who the driver was....

He never stated WHO the driver was (otherwise, what would be the point of him asking?).....

That's where the disconnect in logic begins with your statement here.....

Yuki's not even guilty of speculation here (unless he was being sarcastic with his post).....

As your post reads, it's under the impression that Yuki ratted this Vinny person out.....

LOL at this ridiculousness about not naming B/O's. As others have posted, a B/O's badge is visible at all times and any person is free to write whatever they want about any B/O, but unless an official complaint is filed, no MTA bigwig is combing through these posts.

I agree with the assessment by itself.... However, it doesn't have to be a bigwig.... 

What I'd say is, the odds of someone w/i the MTA (or someone else that might just have it out for Vinny) sifting through these posts is pretty damn low.....

Ok to kill the fire, 9098 went OOS because the farebox was malfunctioning. it did a single trip when i boarded it, hence a free ride.

GM New Look 100 wasn't out there since one of the front doors got jammed.

3100 was out there as well doing a round trip. B/O says despite the MTA posting it was up until 9PM, that all vintage bus runs ended at around 4PM.

Ok to kill the fire, 9098 went OOS because the farebox was malfunctioning. it did a single trip when i boarded it, hence a free ride.

GM New Look 100 wasn't out there since one of the front doors got jammed.

3100 was out there as well doing a round trip. B/O says despite the MTA posting it was up until 9PM, that all vintage bus runs ended at around 4PM.

Thank you for the information. However, I feel the bus should have stayed in operation anyway because it was a vintage bus. I could understand pulling a vintage bus for a safety defect, but a malfunctioning fare box is not a safety hazard. I've been on buses with broken fare boxes.

I don't even understand the scheduling to have one behind the other. Why can't they start at either end of the route at the same time. That would minimize the wait time.

Thank you for the information. However, I feel the bus should have stayed in operation anyway because it was a vintage bus. I could understand pulling a vintage bus for a safety defect, but a malfunctioning fare box is not a safety hazard. I've been on buses with broken fare boxes.

I don't even understand the scheduling to have one behind the other. Why can't they start at either end of the route at the same time. That would minimize the wait time.

You know they pull buses out of service with broken fareboxes too right...there's been plenty of times I've seen buses go out of service because of a broken farebox, or they have a replacement bus for the driver along the line.

You know they pull buses out of service with broken fareboxes too right...there's been plenty of times I've seen buses go out of service because of a broken farebox, or they have a replacement bus for the driver along the line.

How many vintage buses were in service last Friday? 2. How many "modern" buses were in service last Friday? Probably thousands. No one is going to notice a hybrid taken OOS. Nobody is going to notice a NOVA taken OOS. But people will notice a Vintage out of service. Comparing a vintage to a modern bus is just not realistic.

How many vintage buses were in service last Friday? 2. How many "modern" buses were in service last Friday? Probably thousands. No one is going to notice a hybrid taken OOS. Nobody is going to notice a NOVA taken OOS. But people will notice a Vintage out of service. Comparing a vintage to a modern bus is just not realistic.

On the first day of B32 service, the first bus from Williamsburg had a defective farebox, so the driver did like 2 round-trips than got a new bus.

On the first day of B32 service, the first bus from Williamsburg had a defective farebox, so the driver did like 2 round-trips than got a new bus.

And I'll bet the B32 has a shorter headway than the vintage buses. Based on an earlier post that that notwithstanding the (MTA) website, the buses operate until 4. At 2:30 at the UN Terminal, 9098 would have had two or three more trips, no reason to pull the bus out of service.

I didn't expect a replacement bus.

Dude seriously, does it even matter if it was pulled out of service or not...

I'm sorry, but I would've noticed that something had went wrong at the 30 minute mark (I wouldn't wait that long for the vintage bus, especially since there's always other opportunities).

A M42 B/O told me the operators were at lunch and the buses would roll after 1 PM. So I knew why the buses weren't at the UN Terminal. The temperature was pleasant and I read The Times while waiting. I would have left if I didn't have any information.

I'm sorry, but I would've noticed that something had went wrong at the 30 minute mark (I wouldn't wait that long for the vintage bus, especially since there's always other opportunities).

Do you come from the future? How would you know that "something had went wrong"? Especially when the bus was sitting across the street from him while idling, having just completed an in service trip, now with the operator shooting the breeze on layover with the security team. That's about as normal as it gets; to pretend you could have any idea at all what was going on is ridiculous.

A M42 B/O told me the operators were at lunch and the buses would roll after 1 PM. So I knew why the buses weren't at the UN Terminal. The temperature was pleasant and I read The Times while waiting. I would have left if I didn't have any information.

If that was the case, something probably happened or so, for it to be that late at the UN Terminal. 

Do you come from the future? How would you know that "something had went wrong"? Especially when the bus was sitting across the street from him while idling, having just completed an in service trip, now with the operator shooting the breeze on layover with the security team. That's about as normal as it gets; to pretend you could have any idea at all what was going on is ridiculous.

Well for starters, he (nostalgia) said the bus would enter service after a certain time. It was an hour an 10 minutes after the time mentioned that the bus would've left. Doesn't that kinda sound weird. Oh, and 

The bus wasn't directly infront of him. Maybe it got caught up in traffic deadheading to the terminal, or something else, who knows, but It's fairly noticeable to say that something happened between the two intervals.

If that was the case, something probably happened or so, for it to be that late at the UN Terminal. 

Well for starters, he (nostalgia) said the bus would enter service after a certain time. It was an hour an 10 minutes after the time mentioned that the bus would've left. Doesn't that kinda sound weird. Oh, and 

The bus wasn't directly infront of him. Maybe it got caught up in traffic deadheading to the terminal, or something else, who knows, but It's fairly noticeable to say that something happened between the two intervals.

The issue is the bus went OOS at UN Terminal after idling for 10 minutes. I didn't complain about how long it took the bus to get to the east side.

I was there! I was on 42nd St meeting a family member myself. I saw 9098 head eastbound in service, and then when I walked over to the UN later I saw 9098 leave layover to go OOS with the signs still set for service. It ran a completely normal run with the usual lunch break (a two hour wait is not strange for the vintage buses, btw), and then went OOS without any indication at the UN. If it turns out it was only a farebox, it's a little ridiculous the op sat on layover for what must have been a solid 35 min.

I don't care what kind of bus it is, I'm not waiting 2 hours for a bus when you can walk the entire line in less than half that time

You and I just have different values. There are people who will spend the whole day riding the nostalgia train when it would be faster to take the (E) or (R) to Queens Plaza.

Archived