Kids Are Being Arrested for Breakdancing on New York Subways Like It's 1984

Mtatransit

Well I was actually a former resident of the big bad city (Brooklyn, stand up :P )before moving to New Jersey. I'd see cops and even auxiliary cops ride the trains. And if it's so easy to pick out Plain clothes cops, how was it that these clowns got picked off by plain clothes?

Seeing that you couldn't pick out plain clothes cops/undercovers, you basically answered your own question.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is awesome news right here.  These kids get on these trains with this arrogant attitude like it's their right to do this on the train and they don't.  They need to get arrested cause the subway is NOT the spot for stuff like this at all.  Panhandling of any kind is wrong and it all needs to be dealt with. I don't care that they are kids, right is right and wrong is wrong.  PERIOD

This....

Regular people can hardly get jobs. I imagine that being a Felon is still a big impediment. If they do they'll have to accept a low wage or under-the-table pay.

This is why I always try to emphasize to kids over and over to please stay in school to break out of the trap and live stable and prosperous lives as middle class citizens. Stay out of trouble with the law so that having a criminal record will not prove to be an impediment and obstacle to their success. New York City can be very cruel and unforgiving to the unfortunate and those hard up on their luck, so it is always better to think ahead of the times.

Regular people can hardly get jobs. I imagine that being a Felon is still a big impediment. If they do they'll have to accept a low wage or under-the-table pay.

Such is life... NYC is for the best, the smartest and those willing to work hard to get to where they want to go.  Scamming and scheming only gets you so far.

Good get rid of these clowns. It's only a matter of time until someone gets kicked in the head. Big difference between panhandling and forcing people on crowded trains to sit through nearly getting hit in the face.

I can see the anger that is being projected because of the peddlers and breakdancers. Understandable as it poses unwelcome disruptions to straphangers and poses a risk to the jobs of the train crews as noted in previous posts. Not cool.

Keep in mind once more that those who are well to do hipsters (as I was saying) that also proves to break the MTA rules and disrupt train crew operations. They also brazenly shows utter disregard for those who work the trains and commuters alike, no? Perhaps the NYPD should crack down on these persons as well, by imposing fines through imposing tickets and summons to appear at the TAB or court.

Pictures are a thousand words (15 photos). Courtesy of the Gothamist:

010914flowers-thumb-640xauto-825735.jpg

061113poledancing.jpg

phpjuKIVjAM.jpg

91213tuba-thumb-640xauto-808295.jpeg

91113chair-thumb-640xauto-808129.jpeg

9813surfboard-thumb-640xauto-807611.jpg

081913trainfood.jpg

2013_08_sueti.jpg

81813bongos-thumb-640xauto-804596.jpg

81113couch1-thumb-640xauto-803510.jpg

81013SUB-thumb-640xauto-803457.jpg

080213thisguythumb-thumb-640xauto-802124

080213hipster-thumb-640xauto-802075.jpg

4113subwaysax-thumb-640xauto-782456.jpg

100813becks.jpg

I forget if this event passed or not, but I guess it's safe to say everyone here would like to arrest people that do the ImprovEverywhere's No Pant's ride right?  If this theory is correct, you might as well arrest some people on this forum while we're at it since I know for sure some people in this forum have done this.

I forget if this event passed or not, but I guess it's safe to say everyone here would like to arrest people that do the ImprovEverywhere's No Pant's ride right?  If this theory is correct, you might as well arrest some people on this forum while we're at it since I know for sure some people in this forum have done this.

Speaking of which the event is this Sunday.

Anyhow I won't speak for others but from what I see they're equally getting as much shit. I personally am indifferent in that regard, but I'm in support of the participants as they're not engaging in any illegal behavior. To go and shit on others just because you're against them in any form is unjust.

Good analogy, very clever.

Pretty much the reason I posted 15 pics on the previous page which shows disrespectful hipsters doing appalling things to cause disorder and disarray in subway cars with no shame (illegal at that) for everyone to see is because I don't believe in in the NYPD's unwritten policy on double standards. Its not cute.

I mean the NYPD needs to restore order here, but they will need to approach this as non violent civil offenses, not criminal. That should suffice to deter this freeshow of disregard for lack of subway ettiquete. Arresting such people (breakdancers or idiot hipsters) over such unruly behavior is a bit extreme, to be fair. But again, I despise people who do things and think they can entertain double standards with a sense of erroneously perceived privileged status.

Speaking of which the event is this Sunday.

Anyhow I won't speak for others but from what I see they're equally getting as much shit. I personally am indifferent in that regard, but I'm in support of the participants as they're not engaging in any illegal behavior. To go and shit on others just because you're against them in any form is unjust.

As I stated in my above response ( not getting into the no pants deal, as I dont believe what they are doing is illegal either), the NYPD should approach this as non violent civil offenses not by handcuffing people but issuing out summons. Again the way the MTA and NYPD is handling this is extreme.

I'm sure the 'No Pants RIde' is not illegal, but I'll tell you this, the distractions it causes can lead to people getting hurt. (Yes I'm talking about thirsty-a$$ people.)

Though remember some of the stuff ImprovEverywhere do can be labeled illegal or inappropriate. Look at Orion VII with the Best Buy uniform thing, ImprovEverywhere has done that every year now.

There's a big difference between wearing a bathing suit on a train and not hurting anyone, versus doing flips and blasting music to deafening volume and almost kicking people in the face.

So I guess attention whoring hipsters who like to perform pole dancing on subway cars like this is a strip club, dance on the trackbeds for their social resume on facebook,  or bring furniture and surfing board on crowded subway cars (during rush hour!), or drink alcoholic beverages on MTA property or take up more than one seat or litter should be condoned and get a slap on the wrist due to the double standard and elevated privilege rule as well even though that is illegal? Look at the photos again please in case you missed it and decide for yourself.

There's a big difference between wearing a bathing suit on a train and not hurting anyone, versus doing flips and blasting music to deafening volume and almost kicking people in the face.

Because wearing a bathing suit on a subway train doesn't cause distractions that may lead to injury? Yeah, what was I thinking right? < /sarcasm >

I can see the anger that is being projected because of the peddlers and breakdancers. Understandable as it poses unwelcome disruptions to straphangers and poses a risk to the jobs of the train crews as noted in previous posts. Not cool.

Keep in mind once more that those who are well to do hipsters (as I was saying) that also proves to break the MTA rules and disrupt train crew operations. They also brazenly shows utter disregard for those who work the trains and commuters alike, no? Perhaps the NYPD should crack down on these persons as well, by imposing fines through imposing tickets and summons to appear at the TAB or court.

Pictures are a thousand words (15 photos). Courtesy of the Gothamist:

Half these people aren't even hipsters, and I don't really get what's wrong with furniture on the train if you go at a very off-peak time with an empty car. Just seems like an inconvenience for the person to carry, not to everybody else. Also, that sax battle was completely cool and I would have loved to have been in that car. I think you're getting too angry about this one. I've got a bunch of friends of mine who are musicians in the city performing everything from funk to punk, and a bunch of them you could probably call 'hipster.' They're not bad people. At worst, it's a pretentious culture, not a particularly malicious one. I'm far angrier at NIMBYs than hipsters, if you want to go by different clumps of people. Those are the some of ones who really damage the city.

Half these people aren't even hipsters, and I don't really get what's wrong with furniture on the train if you go at a very off-peak time with an empty car. Just seems like an inconvenience for the person to carry, not to everybody else. Also, that sax battle was completely cool and I would have loved to have been in that car. I think you're getting too angry about this one. I've got a bunch of friends of mine who are musicians in the city performing everything from funk to punk, and a bunch of them you could probably call 'hipster.' They're not bad people. At worst, it's a pretentious culture, not a particularly malicious one. I'm far angrier at NIMBYs than hipsters, if you want to go by different clumps of people. Those are the some of ones who really damage the city.

Blowing saxophones in subway cars is just as illegal as breakdancing and peddling. There is a MTA program for licences issued to aspiring musicians to perform in mezzanines, not subway cars or on platforms. And what about the pole dancers? Perhaps they need to go to the strip clubs for the interview, not go for auditions on standee poles swinging in commuter's faces on a subway car. But oops, my fault, I guess that may be the deliberate exception to the rule. 

I have a right to be concerned. Again, double standards. Thats my point. It is known that hipsters have this philosophy of disobeying rules of conduct in their idea of living free and opposing authority where it benefits them, not native NYers, and getting away with it, while peddlers get slammed on the regular. That I imagine wouldn't be fair, you think?

Grouping of people? Apparently the poor gets singled out as the scum of the earth when they are there out of no fault of their own, the majority of them. My defense is the wake up call that middle class hipsters also display illegal and unruly behavior and proved it with sources. Wrong is wrong thats all there is to it, it doesnt depend on economic class contrary to popular opinion.

I wonder what happened to breakdancing in the park, playground, or in the parking lot of an abadon building, like it was done on a regular basis back in the days? Or shit how about attending competitions? I guess doing simple things have become too hard for some people these days.

I wonder what happened to breakdancing in the park or playground, like it was done back in the days. Or shit how about attending competitions? I guess doing simple things have become too hard for some people these days.

lol... Competition for what? These folks are interested in making money though quite frankly it can't be much because I can't imagine these guys getting much from running and jumping around the place.  I see them breakdancing in some tourist areas and the tourists all gather around, but very few of them leave anything.  Seems like a waste to me.

Whoever that parent was should have held on to his hand. Same concept as a parent holding their children's hand when at an intersection in the street. I've seen many close calls that nearly became car accidents with the child hurt. I'm sure that with this breakdancer, that was unintentional. An unfortunate accident.

Whoever that parent was should have held on to his hand. Same concept as a parent holding their children's hand when at an intersection in the street. I've seen many close calls that nearly became car accidents with the child hurt. I'm sure that with this breakdancer, that was unintentional. An unfortunate accident.

Definitely unintentional. And now they're both famous. But not in a good way....

I wonder what happened to breakdancing in the park, playground, or in the parking lot of an abadon building, like it was done on a regular basis back in the days? Or shit how about attending competitions? I guess doing simple things have become too hard for some people these days.

Money. If you panhandle on the subway regularly you can make 50K a year, and mind you you're not getting taxed like a regular job.

There was a article on someone who sold candy in the subway and that's how much he made.

Archived