Kids Are Being Arrested for Breakdancing on New York Subways Like It's 1984

Mtatransit

That article went a little far to call this a "crackdown." It was one set of guys that got arrested. I doubt they will get any prison time at all for this. The best would be for them to get some probation and connected with a program that can help them use their talent in a legitimate way.

The CIty Council held a forum about these youth programs recently and they are doing a lot of good. Believe it or not, in the last 2 or 3 years, Bloomberg has put a big focus on rehabilitation of youth criminals rather than jail and prosecution. 

Screw that, throw everyone in jail. Land Of The Free! 'Merica!!

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here's the thing(and I'm not getting into social backgrounds or other stuff some of you folks can take that trash to OT to have it it with your thoughts). I don't think any of you who posted in this thread works down here let me clarify something. If somebody gets hurt on a train one of us is operating due to this it causes a delay in service, or perhaps the train being taken out of service and maybe none at all depending on where it is.Then if said person decides to sue TA since one or both of us get to the customer we get dragged into this mess court wise. Do any of you know what it's like to be dragged into court for something you had nothing to do with? So when it's notified to one of us We are supposed call it in. That way it's on record and no slick lawyer can say we did not make a effort. Oh and BTW it's against the rules I see none here has mentioned that... Just my opinion not blasting anyone.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Screw that, throw everyone in jail. Land Of The Free! 'Merica!!

No, it's Murica

Those dancers are sneaky. When the train makes a station stop, they stop dancing until the train moves again.

Three words: plain clothes cops. The brats will never know what hit them

That article went a little far to call this a "crackdown." It was one set of guys that got arrested. I doubt they will get any prison time at all for this. The best would be for them to get some probation and connected with a program that can help them use their talent in a legitimate way.

The CIty Council held a forum about these youth programs recently and they are doing a lot of good. Believe it or not, in the last 2 or 3 years, Bloomberg has put a big focus on rehabilitation of youth criminals rather than jail and prosecution. 

Yellow journalism is not solely the domain of the Post and Daily News any more, it seems. Got to sell ad space!

Really, this isn't a crackdown, but if there ever is one, there should be a general crackdown on solicitation in the subways. Remember, according to the "broken windows" crime theory, getting rid of the stupid crap also gets rid of the more serious stuff (since they'll generally be committed by the same people who think it's okay to escalate whatever they're doing)

Here's the thing(and I'm not getting into social backgrounds or other stuff some of you folks can take that trash to OT to have it it with your thoughts). I don't think any of you who posted in this thread works down here let me clarify something. 

What is being seen here in this thread is a division in opinion because of a greater problem being ignored regarding the prevalent and dominating outlook of New York society and its problems. I mean we have cases of those who do not breakdance or peddle, who also disrupt timely commutes. You would be suprised at how many of the said delinquents are actually coming from rich homes. 

I think that was why on my end I have said that perhaps the NYPD should focus on the drunk narcissistic, passive-aggressive immature hipsters hoarding the subway trains who also aggravate people who simply want to get home from work and school in a peaceable manner. It wasnt a joke, I was actually serious.

Of course they are breaking the MTA rules of conduct. Yes showy performances of kids doing somersaults on trains will cause dangers and disruptions, I think that was a dead ringer of obvious. These kids here needs to be in school and work. However see that I am looking at an even bigger problem that seems to conveniently escape the minds of many apparently. 

Yellow journalism is not solely the domain of the Post and Daily News any more, it seems. Got to sell ad space!

Really, this isn't a crackdown, but if there ever is one, there should be a general crackdown on solicitation in the subways. Remember, according to the "broken windows" crime theory, getting rid of the stupid crap also gets rid of the more serious stuff (since they'll generally be committed by the same people who think it's okay to escalate whatever they're doing)

They had started cracking down on the guys that break the MVM's and try to sell swipes. I highly approve of that crackdown, and I wish they stopped more of those guys. 

This is awesome news right here.  These kids get on these trains with this arrogant attitude like it's their right to do this on the train and they don't.  They need to get arrested cause the subway is NOT the spot for stuff like this at all.  Panhandling of any kind is wrong and it all needs to be dealt with. I don't care that they are kids, right is right and wrong is wrong.  PERIOD

Yeah, maybe giving them criminal records isn't the right thing to do, but fine them, ban them from the subway, give them community service and expunged records. 

Actually, now that I think about it that last part is the best bet. Give them hours of community service sweeping subway stations in exchange for no fine and no record.

But - as has been said - breakdancing in the subway, or really any kind of performing IN the subway car is illegal and usually annoying. We all do what we have to do to get by - but don't make people a captive audience to your nonsense and then ask for money. Set up shop on the street, even in a station if there's enough room. But it should be kept off the trains, and there are ways to crack down on the practice through legal enforcement that don't involve ruining peoples lives. (I haven't heard of anyone being denied a job for a fare evasion ticket.)

Yeah, maybe giving them criminal records isn't the right thing to do, but fine them, ban them from the subway, give them community service and expunged records. 

Actually, now that I think about it that last part is the best bet. Give them hours of community service sweeping subway stations in exchange for no fine and no record.

I think that is reasonable, considering the fact that doing flares in the middle of a subway car can impede on the commute and is well, illegal as you've said. The majority of the breakdancers out there making impromptu performances are kids. This was why I think that even as much enforcement  of the MTA rules of conduct by officials may be necessary in this case, they should not be treated as felons for a minor offense (Not that its happening but just saying). It was touched upon already, criminal records can ruin a young person's future, that was one of my concerns.

Those dancers are sneaky.  When the train makes a station stop, they stop dancing until the train moves again.

Not always, I once saw someone continue. The best time to do it is on an express run. I saw someone do I pretty good preformance on the (E) in Queens. The only way for that man to do was his preformance in this way was because of the R160s. The bars at the top of the car in the center are not present in other cars. My abba once put a pizza box up there without holding it and it didn't fall.

What is being seen here in this thread is a division in opinion because of a greater problem being ignored regarding the prevalent and dominating outlook of New York society and its problems. I mean we have cases of those who do not breakdance or peddle, who also disrupt timely commutes. You would be suprised at how many of the said delinquents are actually coming from rich homes. 

I think that was why on my end I have said that perhaps the NYPD should focus on the drunk narcissistic, passive-aggressive immature hipsters hoarding the subway trains who also aggravate people who simply want to get home from work and school in a peaceable manner. It wasnt a joke, I was actually serious.

Of course they are breaking the MTA rules of conduct. Yes showy performances of kids doing somersaults on trains will cause dangers and disruptions, I think that was a dead ringer of obvious. These kids here needs to be in school and work. However see that I am looking at an even bigger problem that seems to conveniently escape the minds of many apparently. 

Hence my thoughts of going to OT Chat with some aspects of this. Im very much aware of how things are seen and spoke of regarding certain things.  I just gave my point of view from a RTO stand point.

Rather than quote a bunch of posts basically adding to what's been said, I'm gonna bring up another simple point of my own...

Yeah, and what about the adults doing this shit...... Arrest their asses too !

Put them right back in the prison facility they came out of.... Unbeknownst to some, the adults that do that nonsense on the trains be prison nzzzzz's themselves, lookin like they 1 missed hit/snort away from death..... I'm not intentionally funding no one's drug habit....

You go after the adults, and those young ass kids dancing on the trains will cease realll quick.... Don't underestimate how fast word gets around to these kids nowadays..... Arresting the kids themselves though (other than to get them into the system), won't yield much of anything..... They'll only become to being adults that engage in continuous panhandling activity (which is all it is), as someone mentioned earlier in here.....

No, it's Murica

Three words: plain clothes cops. The brats will never know what hit them

Um...I'm assuming you don't commute in NY enough because undercover/plain cloth cops in NY are so easy to spot out.  It's literally kindergarten level of how easy it is.

Um...I'm assuming you don't commute in NY enough because undercover/plain cloth cops in NY are so easy to spot out.  It's literally kindergarten level of how easy it is.

Well, my brother and my friend are pretty good at spotting them out, but I literally have no clue how to spot them, lol.

A train is not a place to do break dance.

This can be dangerous for those kids and the other passengers.

Those handrails and poles weren't designed to handle extreme amounts of weight.  The kids are flipping upside down with their sneakers touching ceilings, swaying side to side on poles.  Trying to catch their caps after flinging them.   They don't realize how they can injure passengers with one mis-step and they're NOT professionals.

As a conductor, I never let this shit go happen on my train. I don't care if it's a bunch of junior high kids dancing, some kids selling candy for their "basket ball team" or some old guys signing, Now as an engineer, I deal with it alot less, but I still won't let this go on if i see it. Thankfully PATH doesn't really have to much of this going on.   

If I see these lowlifes get on my train, I will not move it until they get off and I have said so on the PA. A couple of years ago a group of these guys got on my train and one of them ended up kicking out a door window and he nearly fell out of the train. Despite me not knowing this because I am to busy operating, The TA still tried to assign some type of blame towards me and my conductor as well. This is why I do no not want these people on my train.

If I see these lowlifes get on my train, I will not move it until they get off and I have said so on the PA. A couple of years ago a group of these guys got on my train and one of them ended up kicking out a door window and he nearly fell out of the train. Despite me not knowing this because I am to busy operating, The TA still tried to assign some type of blame towards me and my conductor as well. This is why I do no not want these people on my train.

lol... It's about time you got your logo beneath your name... I knew you were an (MTA) employee...  :lol:

Rather than quote a bunch of posts basically adding to what's been said, I'm gonna bring up another simple point of my own...

Yeah, and what about the adults doing this shit...... Arrest their asses too !

Put them right back in the prison facility they came out of.... Unbeknownst to some, the adults that do that nonsense on the trains be prison nzzzzz's themselves, lookin like they 1 missed hit/snort away from death..... I'm not intentionally funding no one's drug habit....

You go after the adults, and those young ass kids dancing on the trains will cease realll quick.... Don't underestimate how fast word gets around to these kids nowadays..... Arresting the kids themselves though (other than to get them into the system), won't yield much of anything..... They'll only become to being adults that engage in continuous panhandling activity (which is all it is), as someone mentioned earlier in here.....

But you know something? Going back to what you said long time ago about kids and attention whoring, this could be another thing to consider about what goes on in the mind of our adolescents

Um...I'm assuming you don't commute in NY enough because undercover/plain cloth cops in NY are so easy to spot out. It's literally kindergarten level of how easy it is.

Well I was actually a former resident of the big bad city (Brooklyn, stand up :P )before moving to New Jersey. I'd see cops and even auxiliary cops ride the trains. And if it's so easy to pick out Plain clothes cops, how was it that these clowns got picked off by plain clothes?

LOL... I was on the (2) train last night going to a tutoring session... This Latino guy mumbling in Spanish came into our car as we were nearing 96th street and starts performing tricks and looking for "victims" to engage in his act.  He was able to get a White chick to assist him.  He started approaching various people sitting down and a Black lady told him "DO NOT TOUCH ME!" She looked like she was ready to give him the beat down.  :lol: He didn't even approach me... Then he pulls out what appeared to be a bird (looked real from where I standing was but you never know <_<)  and had it flying around the car.  Coming back on the (2), had a panhandler come into out car... Looked like he was high on something... No tricks... Just came into the car begging and sucking his teeth at folks like myself who had interest in giving him anything. I said to myself, this is why I take the express bus.  Absolutely ridiculous.  

The week prior to that (also on the (2) lol) there was a bum set up in our car just camping out.  Shopping bags all over the place and a shopping cart, during the heat of the rush.  Seems like the worst trains are the (A) and the (2).

But - as has been said - breakdancing in the subway, or really any kind of performing IN the subway car is illegal and usually annoying. We all do what we have to do to get by - but don't make people a captive audience to your nonsense and then ask for money. Set up shop on the street, even in a station if there's enough room. But it should be kept off the trains, and there are ways to crack down on the practice through legal enforcement that don't involve ruining peoples lives. (I haven't heard of anyone being denied a job for a fare evasion ticket.)

It shouldn't be on the streets either... Our streets are clogged enough and dirty enough not have these people loitering and making a mess everywhere.  There's a bum by Park Avenue that just walks around with a gazillion plastic bags and stinks like I don't know what.  A little bit of a nut job too... I wish they would go after those guys selling the CD's too on the street.  Go around harassing people. I hustle too but I don't ask people for money on the street.  If I want more money I go out and work for it like a normal human being.

Archived