Bronx Division Bus Proposals/Ideas

cotb16

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't know if you notice, but in a way your modified Bx28, still connects to the (D) in a way

How so?

I mean, if the Bee Line routes (BL-4/20/21) didn't terminate on the same side of the BPB (4) entrance, I would end the modified Bx28 there......

On a side note, To (try to) eliminate the amount of walking over there by Lehman to GC, that's one reason I would truncate the Bx2 to the college... Forgot to mention I would also revert the old Melrose routing....

You're one to talk...

Nah, I don't get the sense he was being judgmental with that comment....

Looked as if he said it on some *I'm not the only person that wants SPEED* tip....

How so?

I mean, if the Bee Line routes (BL-4/20/21) didn't terminate on the same side of the BPB (4) entrance, I would end the modified Bx28 there......

On a side note, To (try to) eliminate the amount of walking over there by Lehman to GC, that's one reason I would truncate the Bx2 to the college... Forgot to mention I would also revert the old Melrose routing....

Nah, I don't get the sense he was being judgmental with that comment....

Looked as if he said it on some *I'm not the only person that wants SPEED* tip....

interesting idea OK never really thought about bx2 like that. Yes you are correct about how I said it.

How so?

Ah, I see

interesting idea OK never really thought about bx2 like that......

Let me do it this way...

The way the 2 pairs of routes are used:

- The Bx40 & the Bx42 complement each other down in Throgs Neck (separate unique portion of the two routes)...

- The Bx1 & the Bx2 does not complement each other south of 149th st.... For starters, when you see mad people deciding to walk b/w GC/149th & the Hub, something is wrong....

I'd argue that the MTA tried to (and did) make the Bx2 a supplementary route when they revoked the Melrose routing away from it.... I'm just glad they didn't try to rid itself of the Bx2 (which to be honest, I thought they were originally trying to).....

Furthermore, anything running in Kingsbridge Hgts. that doesn't serve the (1), is rather useless IMO.... And there's no point in extending Bx2's to Riverdale av, so they may as well truncate the route somewhere (someone back on RD said the Bx2 should end at Fordham plaza, but I think that's too abrupt... and besides, that area is congested anyway.... someone else (also on RD) had an idea involving diverting & actually extending it to Woodlawn, but that is simply not necessary for network coverage)... Anyway, a truncation would actually save them money, while still keeping the same service levels for the bulk of the GC folks.... Which is what I would suggest w/ that Bx2 idea I had there....

How reliable is the bx33 in Manhattan? Bx1 on the concourse? I wonder what can hold it up with bx2 & (D) trains helping the concourse.

The Bx33 dosen't appear often. But when it does, it usually gets crowded west of 3 Avenue.

The Bx1 is very busy especially with it's limited service. Local riders can use the Bx2. Bx1 locals only run during early mornings, evenings, and all day sundays.

Bx1/2: No evening service on the Bx1 and local service is discontinued, with limited service added on sundays. The Bx2 is extended to Riverdale when the Bx1 dosen't run.

Bx4/24: Bx4A variant discontinued. The Bx24 becomes the old Bx14 while the Bx4 extends to the Hutchinson Metro Center.

Bx10/28: Weekday Bx10 service is split into two. One section runs between Riverdale and Lehman College and another between Riverdale and Williamsbridge Gun Hill Road (2)(5) station. The Bx10 and Bx28 switch routes between Bainbridge Avenue and Lehman College (at Moshulu Parkway, the Williamsbridge Bx10 service does not serve Lehman College and instead runs on the Bx1 until Van Corlandt Park West) Limited runs on the Bx28 from Bainbridge Avenue to Bartow Avenue. 

Bx13: Extend to 3 Avenue 138 Street (6) station and discontinue 161 Street service in honor of the Bx46 extension.

Bx18: Extend it to run on the old Melrose Bx2 route to 3 Avenue and 150 Street (Bx21 stop on 150 street to 149 street to allow the Bx18 to relay).

Bx20/M100: Expand the Bx20 to 7 days a week and take over the new Inwood M100 service. The M100 is back to it's original route and the Bx20 ends at Dyckman street (A) station.

Bx40: Limited service between Randall Avenue and University Avenue.

Bx46: Extended to Yankee Stadium. turns right on Prospect Avenue and left on 163 Street to follow te Bx6.

Bx52: New SBS route between Fordham Plaza to Laguardia Airport via Webster Avenue, RFK, and Astoria Blvd.

Bx1/2: No evening service on the Bx1 and local service is discontinued, with limited service added on sundays. The Bx2 is extended to Riverdale when the Bx1 dosen't run.

Bx20/M100: Expand the Bx20 to 7 days a week and take over the new Inwood M100 service. The M100 is back to it's original route and the Bx20 ends at Dyckman street (A) station.

#1 Already happens... Look at some of the extended Bx2 trips to Riverdale.

#2 No need to run the Bx20 7 days a week, though I would have it run a bit later back to Riverdale during the evenings.

Yeah, some, but why not eliminate the Bx1 local in honor of the Bx2 extension while the Bx1 limited dosen't run?

What's the big deal anyway? It's not like it matters as far as Riverdale is concerned.  The Bx1 used to run into Riverdale but was cut back to the Riverdale/Kingsbridge border due to a lack of usage.  Folks in Riverdale have NO interest in going to the South Bronx.

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

Bx4/24: Bx4A variant discontinued. The Bx24 becomes the old Bx14 while the Bx4 extends to the Hutchinson Metro Center.

Bx10/28: Weekday Bx10 service is split into two. One section runs between Riverdale and Lehman College and another between Riverdale and Williamsbridge Gun Hill Road (2)(5) station. The Bx10 and Bx28 switch routes between Bainbridge Avenue and Lehman College (at Moshulu Parkway, the Williamsbridge Bx10 service does not serve Lehman College and instead runs on the Bx1 until Van Corlandt Park West) Limited runs on the Bx28 from Bainbridge Avenue to Bartow Avenue. 

Bx13: Extend to 3 Avenue 138 Street (6) station and discontinue 161 Street service in honor of the Bx46 extension.

Bx18: Extend it to run on the old Melrose Bx2 route to 3 Avenue and 150 Street (Bx21 stop on 150 street to 149 street to allow the Bx18 to relay).

Bx46: Extended to Yankee Stadium. turns right on Prospect Avenue and left on 163 Street to follow te Bx6.

Bx52: New SBS route between Fordham Plaza to Laguardia Airport via Webster Avenue, RFK, and Astoria Blvd.

The Bx13 should end at the hub.

Why extend the Bx18 when you can just reroute the Bx2 down Melrose.

Bx1/2... Is this about supplying extra nightly service b/w Mott Haven & the Hub?

Bx4/Bx24.... Don't agree with any extension of the Bx4 at all, thing is slow enough running under the el's that they do... However, I can agree with the idea of getting rid of the Bx4a to have Bx24's run via Parkchester.... Have the Bx21 or the Bx31 serve HMC & be done with it....

Bx10/28... The only real reason the Bx10 even runs b/w BPB (4) & 205th (D) is b/c of Montefiore.... Having Bx10's run to Gun Hill (2)(5) would do much of nothing for the route ridership-wise (folks would still flock to the 28 for obvious reasons)..... One more thing, even though it's a relatively short stint, buses tend to take forever to get from White plains rd. to Bainbridge (along Gun Hill).... So I would not run the 10 any further eastward for those 2 reasons alone....

Bx13.... The route ending at 149th is good enough.... I don't see why you'd even bother running it down to the (6)....

The 161st part of the idea I agree with, as the current Bx46, even on coverage headways, are a waste of resources......

Bx18... ....Would have absolutely no business running that far south (to the Hub).

The route exists for topographic reasons, and thus should be left taking folks down from the hills to the (4) & the (D).....

Bx20/M100... I Lol'd, and not b/c of the 7 day a week part either.

I don't have a problem with it personally, but if you don't feel the M100 should go about serving that area, then I think a more reasonable compromise would be for the MTA to try their hand at having alternating Bx7's run [via Dyckman & via 10th] & the [current routing via Broadway].....

Bx40... I guess I'll ask the obvious question... Why the 40 & not the 42 for E. Tremont av LTD service?

(not that I'm pushing for one over the other either way... I just want to see what your reasoning is)

Bx46... Long overdue.

Bx52... no comment.

What's the big deal anyway? It's not like it matters as far as Riverdale is concerned.  The Bx1 used to run into Riverdale but was cut back to the Riverdale/Kingsbridge border due to a lack of usage.  Folks in Riverdale have NO interest in going to the South Bronx.

He's not suggesting running Bx2's into Riverdale... He's saying the Bx2 should end where the Bx1 currently does, when the Bx1 wouldn't run.......

The Bx13 should stay right where it is... Running it to the hub is overkill.

As far as extending the Bx18 to have it running in Melrose (over reverting the Bx2), yeah I don't quite get that either.....

Edited by B35 via Church

1. He's not suggesting running Bx2's into Riverdale... He's saying the Bx2 should end where the Bx1 currently does, when the Bx1 wouldn't run.......

2. I don't have a problem with it personally, but if you don't feel the M100 should go about serving that area, then I think a more reasonable compromise would be for the MTA to try their hand at having alternating Bx7's run [via Dyckman & via 10th] & the [current routing via Broadway].....

1. I know what he's saying. Someone else has made the same suggestion previously.  There are already some Bx2's that end where the Bx1 does.

2. I don't agree with that Bx7 split.  The Bx7 is already a mess as it is and splitting it would just make it even worse.  I don't see the (MTA) reverting the M100 back either as it seems as if the folks in those housing projects need and use the M100 over there.  Perhaps what they should do is create two branches of the M100.

1. If riders want to go to the hub, that's what the Bx19 is for.

2.I know the Bx18 via Melrose isn't the best idea, but since the Bx2 will be the new Bx1 local in my proposal, there has to be something else on Melrose.

Bx1/2... Is this about supplying extra nightly service b/w Mott Haven & the Hub?

Somewhat. And also because there is little ridership at 138 and 144 Streets on the Concourse.

Bx4/Bx24.... Don't agree with any extension of the Bx4 at all, thing is slow enough running under the el's that they do... However, I can agree with the idea of getting rid of the Bx4a to have Bx24's run via Parkchester.... Have the Bx21 or the Bx31 serve HMC & be done with it....

That would cause too much loops for both the Bx21 and Bx31.

Bx10/28... The only real reason the Bx10 even runs b/w BPB (4) & 205th (D) is b/c of Montefiore.... Having Bx10's run to Gun Hill (2)(5) would do much of nothing for the route ridership-wise (folks would still flock to the 28 for obvious reasons)..... One more thing, even though it's a relatively short stint, buses tend to take forever to get from White plains rd. to Bainbridge (along Gun Hill).... So I would not run the 10 any further eastward for those 2 reasons alone....

I guess you are right about this one....

Bx13.... The route ending at 149th is good enough.... I don't see why you'd even bother running it down to the (6)....

The 161st part of the idea I agree with, as the current Bx46, even on coverage headways, are a waste of resources......

I did this so Mott Haven riders would have direct service to the Bronx Terminal Market.

Bx18... ....Would have absolutely no business running that far south (to the Hub).

The route exists for topographic reasons, and thus should be left taking folks down from the hills to the (4) & the (D).....

I guess I can't argue with that.... 

I don't have a problem with it personally, but if you don't feel the M100 should go about serving that area, then I think a more reasonable compromise would be for the MTA to try their hand at having alternating Bx7's run [via Dyckman & via 10th] & the [current routing via Broadway].....

Ok so like the Bx7A? (don't really agree with it but maybe could run as test service)

Bx40... I guess I'll ask the obvious question... Why the 40 & not the 42 for E. Tremont av LTD service?

(not that I'm pushing for one over the other either way... I just want to see what your reasoning is)

Pretty much the same reason the Bx1 is limited on the Concourse and not the Bx2.

Comments in red.

I don't agree with that Bx7 split.  The Bx7 is already a mess as it is and splitting it would just make it even worse.  I don't see the (MTA) reverting the M100 back either as it seems as if the folks in those housing projects need and use the M100 over there.  Perhaps what they should do is create two branches of the M100.

What's the point of two M100 branches if you could transfer to the Bx7?

Edited by MysteriousBtrain

1. I know what he's saying. Someone else has made the same suggestion previously.  There are already some Bx2's that end where the Bx1 does.

2. I don't agree with that Bx7 split.  The Bx7 is already a mess as it is and splitting it would just make it even worse.  I don't see the (MTA) reverting the M100 back either as it seems as if the folks in those housing projects need and use the M100 over there.  Perhaps what they should do is create two branches of the M100.

Branching M100's north of Dyckman/Broadway is just as bad as extending Bx20's through that same part of Inwood the current M100 now serves..... Can't agree with either.... Branching M100's would only have people going back to taking the (1) the way they used to (before the diverted M100), or walking from the Bx7.... The M100 isn't exactly a low headway route, nor is it a route that is sought after over the Bx7.....

As far as not reverting M100's... Well there would be no point in branching the M100 if you also believe the MTA wouldn't go back to the reverted route....

** ((MysteriousBtrain's responses in red))**

Somewhat. And also because there is little ridership at 138 and 144 Streets on the Concourse.

That would cause too much loops for both the Bx21 and Bx31.

Bx10/28... The only real reason the Bx10 even runs b/w BPB (4) & 205th (D) is b/c of Montefiore.... Having Bx10's run to Gun Hill (2)(5) would do much of nothing for the route ridership-wise (folks would still flock to the 28 for obvious reasons)..... One more thing, even though it's a relatively short stint, buses tend to take forever to get from White plains rd. to Bainbridge (along Gun Hill).... So I would not run the 10 any further eastward for those 2 resons alone....

I guess you are right about this one....

I did this so Mott Haven riders would have direct service to the Bronx Terminal Market.

I guess I can't argue with that.... 

Ok so like the Bx7A? (don't really agree with it but maybe could run as test service)

Pretty much the same reason the Bx1 is limited on the Concourse and not the Bx2.

Bx1/2: I figured as such (at least you're honest).... The problem with that is you already have the Bx21 & the Bx15 that run 24/7.... Good chance that's the reason they run Bx1's over Bx2's later....

Bx4/24 (commentary): I said or, not both..... Although I would favor the Bx31 doing so over the Bx21....

HMC definitely does not need 2 routes running in & out of it..... Already mentioned it to BM5 IINM, that the reason I'd take the Bx24 out of there, because I believe the HMC needs more service than what the Bx24 currently provides....

Bx10/28: Believe me, I already thought of what you were trying to accomplish years ago with that idea (as far as swapping the 10 & the 28 west of Bainbridge, etc)... What I pointed out to you, was the dilemma I ran into.... Seems as if we both agree the Bx28 would get more usage on that part of Jerome (because the Bx10's usage is rather pathetic after it leaves the Gun Hill/BainBridge stop (opp. Montefiore, across Gun Hill) & before it reaches the BPB (4) stop.....

Bx20/M100: I'm not big on naming, so it can be called w/e..... But you get the point.

(forgot to redden your reply to this one btw... almost missed it)

Bx40: I'm not exactly sure I follow (your response)...

I'm going to take 2 guesses here as to what I think you could be referring to....

* To analogize, the Bx2 has always been treated like a stepchild to the Bx1.... That's not the case with the Bx40/42....

* If the logic is that one has the longer route than the other (Bx1 over the Bx2), I'm not so sure that's the case w/ the Bx40 (over the Bx42) either.... Matter fact, I think the 42 is actually longer route-wise)....

Edited by B35 via Church

Branching M100's north of Dyckman/Broadway is just as bad as extending Bx20's through that same part of Inwood the current M100 now serves..... Can't agree with either.... Branching M100's would only have people going back to taking the (1) the way they used to (before the diverted M100), or walking from the Bx7.... The M100 isn't exactly a low headway route, nor is it a route that is sought after over the Bx7.....

As far as not reverting M100's... Well there would be no point in branching the M100 if you also believe the MTA wouldn't go back to the reverted route....

Bx1/2: I figured as such (at least you're honest).... The problem with that is you already have the Bx21 & the Bx15 that run 24/7.... Good chance that's the reason they run Bx1's over Bx2's later....

Bx4/24 (commentary): I said or, not both..... Although I would favor the Bx31 doing so over the Bx21....

HMC definitely does not need 2 routes running in & out of it..... Already mentioned it to BM5 IINM, that the reason I'd take the Bx24 out of there, because I believe the HMC needs more service than what the Bx24 currently provides....

Bx10/28: Believe me, I already thought of what you were trying to accomplish years ago with that idea (as far as swapping the 10 & the 28 west of Bainbridge, etc)... What I pointed out to you, was the dilemma I ran into.... Seems as if we both agree the Bx28 would get more usage on that part of Jerome (because the Bx10's usage is rather pathetic after it leaves the Gun Hill/BainBridge stop (opp. Montefiore, across Gun Hill) & before it reaches the BPB (4) stop.....

Bx20/M100: I'm not big on naming, so it can be called w/e..... But you get the point.

(forgot to redden your reply to this one btw... almost missed it)

Bx40: I'm not exactly sure I follow (your response)...

I'm going to take 2 guesses here as to what I think you could be referring to....

* To analogize, the Bx2 has always been treated like a stepchild to the Bx1.... That's not the case with the Bx40/42....

* If the logic is that one has the longer route than the other (Bx1 over the Bx2), I'm not so sure that's the case w/ the Bx40 (over the Bx42) either.... Matter fact, I think the 42 is actually longer route-wise)....

In fact, how long has the Bx2 been around? I know the Bx42 only came out in 1989.