Bronx Division Bus Proposals/Ideas

cotb16

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I certainly hope so...

It was an ironic statement. With the attitude of some of the members here towards people of less able-bodied means, you'd think that we were living in the '40s or something.

the many deserve to be priority. Then the rest can follow. Stop making excuses to justify inefficient routes and segments.

Right, and this is coming from the person who will bend over backwards to try and get a bus route onto a highway...

one way to do it is eliminate bx22 service to Lehman college and reroute service to marble hill MNRR via the (1) station. Or at the medical center then boost service past Fordham. Now bx22& 19 act as bx9's local branches and bx9 becomes full time LTD.

I would support running Bx22's inside the medical center if artics were to be revoked off that line.... However, Bx22 service past Fordham should not be "boosted" - regardless of where it would be diverted to..... Too much of the Bx22's overall ridership is represented/illustrated with the short turned buses....

As far as diverting Bx22 service so that the Bx9 become a full time LTD, I don't think you quite thought this through... You would make the Bx9 more of a supplement than it already is.... You don't put LTD's on supplementary routes.... Have the MTA carry out what you're presenting here, the Bx22 would end up with LTD SBS (which is the new sheriff in town now, so to speak) service - especially if you run it to Broadway! You'd be introducing the Bx22 to more of the Bx9 route; which would be detrimental to the Bx9 - even if you throw LTD service onto it.... No way would they additionally have the Bx22 (which already carries, coming from Castle Hill & Parkchester) serve a thriving market like that (Marble Hill - Fordham travel) & have it not have a LTD/SBS complement - Which goes back to what you said about boosting service on the Bx22 if it were to be sent there.... Having as many Bx22's and Bx9's run between Marble Hill & Fordham is overkill - That defeats the entire purpose of even suggesting Bx9 LTD service!

The Bx9 is one of these compact routes (I call em) that heavily thrives because it makes the stops that it does.... Another route that fits that same bill (so to speak) is the B1.....

Way I see it, the MTA would be better off leaving the Bx9 as a local - even if the ride b/w Riverdale & Fordham is slow as hell - which is a reason why you have some that believe the Bx9 shouldn't even run past Fordham from the north (meaning, not serving the neighborhoods of E. Tremont & W. Farms).....A problem with that is, you can't have the Bx19 also running to Fordham...

It was an ironic statement. With the attitude of some of the members here towards people of less able-bodied means, you'd think that we were living in the '40s or something.

Right, and this is coming from the person who will bend over backwards to try and get a bus route onto a highway...

why don't you come up with another fast way to connect major points if not STHU.

I would support running Bx22's inside the medical center if artics were to be revoked off that line.... However, Bx22 service past Fordham should not be "boosted" - regardless of where it would be diverted to..... Too much of the Bx22's overall ridership is represented/illustrated with the short turned buses....

As far as diverting Bx22 service so that the Bx9 become a full time LTD, I don't think you quite thought this through... You would make the Bx9 more of a supplement than it already is.... You don't put LTD's on supplementary routes.... Have the MTA carry out what you're presenting here, the Bx22 would end up with LTD SBS (which is the new sheriff in town now, so to speak) service - especially if you run it to Broadway! You'd be introducing the Bx22 to more of the Bx9 route; which would be detrimental to the Bx9 - even if you throw LTD service onto it.... No way would they additionally have the Bx22 (which already carries, coming from Castle Hill & Parkchester) serve a thriving market like that (Marble Hill - Fordham travel) & have it not have a LTD/SBS complement - Which goes back to what you said about boosting service on the Bx22 if it were to be sent there.... Having as many Bx22's and Bx9's run between Marble Hill & Fordham is overkill - That defeats the entire purpose of even suggesting Bx9 LTD service!

The Bx9 is one of these compact routes (I call em) that heavily thrives because it makes the stops that it does.... Another route that fits that same bill (so to speak) is the B1.....

Way I see it, the MTA would be better off leaving the Bx9 as a local - even if the ride b/w Riverdale & Fordham is slow as hell - which is a reason why you have some that believe the Bx9 shouldn't even run past Fordham from the north (meaning, not serving the neighborhoods of E. Tremont & W. Farms).....A problem with that is, you can't have the Bx19 also running to Fordham...

interesting take I missed how long bx22 is. OK what if bx10 was rerouted to be bx9's local variant between marble hill & Fordham. With bx26 going to 231st (1) via Bailey. Bx9 will still be local on Broadway in Riverdale

interesting take I missed how long bx22 is. OK what if bx10 was rerouted to be bx9's local variant between marble hill & Fordham. With bx26 going to 231st (1) via Bailey. Bx9 will still be local on Broadway in Riverdale

225 (1) and 231 (1) are bad places to terminate a route unless it's going straight to KB afterwards. You could turn at 231/Riverdale Av but you don't have room for 5 routes to use the W/B stop at Broadway   Altering the 10/26 gives Bx26 riders a connection to the Bx9 again but leads to a 2 seat ride from Riverdale/Kingsbridge to Norwood (montefiore). It might be easier to add a new route than to try rerouting the current NW Bronx bus routes. This is why I suggested having something comparable to the old Bx24 coming back. The Bx9 needs coverage between Marble Hill-Fordham BID and the Bx7 needs it between 231-263.

225 (1) and 231 (1) are bad places to terminate a route unless it's going straight to KB afterwards. You could turn at 231/Riverdale Av but you don't have room for 5 routes to use the W/B stop at Broadway   Altering the 10/26 gives Bx26 riders a connection to the Bx9 again but leads to a 2 seat ride from Riverdale/Kingsbridge to Norwood (montefiore). It might be easier to add a new route than to try rerouting the current NW Bronx bus routes. This is why I suggested having something comparable to the old Bx24 coming back. The Bx9 needs coverage between Marble Hill-Fordham BID and the Bx7 needs it between 231-263.

I would bring the old Bx24 back. That was a really good route, although it would need a new number, perhaps Bx14. (pretty ironic since the former Bx14 is now the Bx24)

I would bring the old Bx24 back. That was a really good route, although it would need a new number, perhaps Bx14. (pretty ironic since the former Bx14 is now the Bx24)

I don't see the point.  Make the Bx7 and Bx10 more reliable in Riverdale and call it a day.  Still too many buses bunching like crazy.  The Bx10 in the mornings can run 3 - 4 in a pack to Riverdale.  I watch in amazement as I'm on the express bus coming down the hills on Kappock and on Johnson.

I don't see the point. Make the Bx7 and Bx10 more reliable in Riverdale and call it a day. Still too many buses bunching like crazy. The Bx10 in the mornings can run 3 - 4 in a pack to Riverdale. I watch in amazement as I'm on the express bus coming down the hills on Kappock and on Johnson.

That bus bunching is occurring on most of KBs routes. I watched 4 Bx3s do that last night on a Sunday when the headways shouldn't allow for more than 2 buses to be in the same place at the same time. They plan to add more 7/10 runs in April but I wonder: will an increase in headways on these routes make bunching more or less probable?

We were discussing the Bx9 as well but you didn't comment on that part so I'd like to know why you only seem to care about the needs of a small part of the NW Bronx when everyone else is attempting to look at the big picture?

What I'd really love to know is, where are the dispatchers along these routes?

Edited by Q43 Floral Park

That bus bunching is occurring on most of KBs routes. I watched 4 Bx3s do that last night on a Sunday when the headways shouldn't allow for more than 2 buses to be in the same place at the same time. They plan to add more 7/10 runs in April but I wonder: will an increase in headways on these routes make bunching more or less probable?

We were discussing the Bx9 as well but you didn't comment on that part so I'd like to know why you only seem to care about the needs of a small part of the NW part of NYC when everyone else is attempting to look at the big picture?

What I'd really love to know is, where are the dispatchers along these routes?

Hmm... Maybe because the Bx7 and Bx10 runs where I live at in upstairs Riverdale? How about that.  I have used both the Bx7 and Bx10 in the years that I have lived here (probably less than 5 times combined, but nonetheless I have used them) usually due to missing the last express bus, so naturally I would care more about them than the Bx9, which I have no need for.  Anytime I am along Broadway, it is because I need to refill my express bus Metrocard at 242nd and from there I will walk to 246th and Broadway for the BxM3.  Since I don't use the Bx9 nor live near it, it would be wise of me not to speak about it since I don't have any idea how it runs, etc., aside from when I see them along Broadway when I am on the express bus heading to or from Riverdale.

Hmm... Maybe because the Bx7 and Bx10 runs where I live at in upstairs Riverdale? How about that.  I have used both the Bx7 and Bx10 in the years that I have lived here (probably less than 5 times combined, but nonetheless I have used them) usually due to missing the last express bus, so naturally I would care more about them than the Bx9, which I have no need for.  Anytime I am along Broadway, it is because I need to refill my express bus Metrocard at 242nd and from there I will walk to 246th and Broadway for the BxM3.  Since I don't use the Bx9 nor live near it, it would be wise of me not to speak about it since I don't have any idea how it runs, etc., aside from when I see them along Broadway when I am on the express bus heading to or from Riverdale.

You ride the Bx7/10 erratically at best and aren't familiar with the ridership and routes in your own backyard/surrounding communities. That's probably why you wouldn't see the point of killing two birds with one stone even when it's been broken down to you.

How do you fix bus bunching?

B35: I worry about removing the Bx22 from Goulden because it does see usage from the students along the corridor. does the Bx22 really need Artics?

You ride the Bx7/10 erratically at best and aren't familiar with the ridership and routes in your own backyard/surrounding communities. That's probably why you wouldn't see the point of killing two birds with one stone even when it's been broken down to you.

Yes, because I'm an express bus and Metro-North rider, so naturally I would care about the express buses more and commuter rail service.  Pretty simple concept to understand. You fix bus bunching by identifying where the backups occur and addressing them.  

B35: I worry about removing the Bx22 from Goulden because it does see usage from the students along the corridor. does the Bx22 really need Artics?

why just use the (4).

Yes, because I'm an express bus and Metro-North rider, so naturally I would care about the express buses more and commuter rail service.  Pretty simple concept to understand. You fix bus bunching by identifying where the backups occur and addressing them.

So why are you commenting on my local bus proposal and deeming it pointless when that isnt in your area of expertise?

If it is a simple concept, tell me where are those points lie along the Bx7/10 routes and how you would address them?

So why are you commenting on my local bus proposal and deeming it pointless when that isnt in your area of expertise?

If it is a simple concept, tell me where are those points lie along the Bx7/10 routes and how you would address them?

Goodness... You know understanding local buses is such a complicated thing...  <_< It's pretty simple... The Bx7 gets stuck along Broadway and the Bx10 gets stuck east of Broadway and 231st.  I know my neighborhood well enough to know that there aren't any major choke points from North Riverdale down to Spuyten Duyvil. The solution is simple.... Put dispatchers on the route at the choke points to get better use of the buses and reduce bunching, and run MORE shuttles where possible from 231st and Broadway up to Riverdale.  As a Riverdalian, I really could care less about the other segments of the route, be it Manhattan or the Bronx.  I would have shuttles run to benefit Riverdalians, meaning more shuttle buses to 231st in the morning, and more shuttle buses TO Riverdale at night.  The folks going down the hill in the Bronx east of Broadway don't need that much service, as what they have is sufficient enough.  Same thing goes for the Bx7 in Manhattan.  

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

Goodness... You know understanding local buses is such a complicated thing...  <_< It's pretty simple... The Bx7 gets stuck along Broadway and the Bx10 gets stuck east of Broadway and 231st.  I know my neighborhood well enough to know that there aren't any major choke points from North Riverdale down to Spuyten Duyvil. The solution is simple.... Put dispatchers on the route at the choke points to get better use of the buses and reduce bunching, and run MORE shuttles where possible from 231st and Broadway up to Riverdale.  As a Riverdalian, I really could care less about the other segments of the route, be it Manhattan or the Bronx.  I would have shuttles run to benefit Riverdalians, meaning more shuttle buses to 231st in the morning, and more shuttle buses TO Riverdale at night.  The folks going down the hill in the Bronx east of Broadway don't need that much service, as what they have is sufficient enough.  Same thing goes for the Bx7 in Manhattan.

you just explained why the bx7 has no business going south of inwood thanks a lot lol.