Bronx Division Bus Proposals/Ideas

cotb16

What about them?? Who said anything about professors.....

You objected to QJT's conjecture about Lehman not needing an express bus by bringing up college students.....

As far as my impression... Well for starters, just the sheer amount of them that linger about the general area (commercial Jerome av) around & after 5,6,7pm.... Someone that lives in one of the other outerboroughs is gonna be less inclined to doing that, since there aren't any dorms around the campus (at least, that I know of)..... We're not exactly talking about an area that someone else would want to hang around at...

All 4 of us are, hence a commencement of the discussion about Lehman & express bus service....

So do I, but not for the reason you give.... Quite sure they make enough for them to be able to afford to take the express bus.....

Affordability (from the professors) isn't the issue - unless you're trying to say they make SO much more money that they wouldn't be caught dead riding public transportation, which is a whole 'nother issue/discussion.....

The fact that they'd have to make their way to Manhattan to take an express bus to Lehman I'd believe would be enough of a deterrent.... Meaning, let's face it, they're gonna continue driving to work.... You would get more students (that could afford taking the express) willing to put up w/ that transferring b/w modes, over professors....

In either case (students or professors), we're talking pretty low amounts of potential riders....

I wasn't sure how many folks from other areas went to Lehman who would benefit from the express bus nor professors, hence my comments, but I know quite a few folks in Riverdale use the express bus to go to Hunter, and so did folks going to Baruch when I lived on Staten Island.

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wasn't sure how many folks from other areas went to Lehman who would benefit from the express bus nor professors, hence my comments, but I know quite a few folks in Riverdale use the express bus to go to Hunter, and so did folks going to Baruch when I lived on Staten Island.

My sister (recent Baruch graduate) knew someone that lived in Staten Island (she never disclosed where in SI that person lived in, but she did mention Hylan Blvd, so I'm guessing it was the x1, or one of its variants) that took the express to Baruch, so I know of at least that one instance.... I've also been on BxM1's where riders have disembarked for Hunter, so I'm not disagreeing with your examples.....

However, the thing that hurts any express bus usage to Lehman, is the fact that it's in an outerborough...

(meaning, w/e students residing in some other outerborough would have to contend with reverse peak express bus headways to get to classes)...

Why is everything lately on this thread about express buses, lol?

It isn't, and that's why there are plenty of Isham short turned buses serving just Inwood.... I guess you don't know about those... <_<

Not the point and yes, I know all about those short-turn buses(I got a picture of one). My point was to have more buses on the 7 in the area where the 100 used to help it out AFTER the 100 got rerouted. There's no reason the 7 should have more jammed buses after 207th.

Would Mount Vernon be ideal for an express bus to Manhattan? (The BxM3 is currently one of only two express buses that serve Westchester, the other being the BxM4C)

For Mount Vernon, most take the MNRR. You'll probably have a few get to the BxM11 or the BxM4.

Increase service on the BxM4C. I hardly see any and they use Bee-Line buses.

I don't think the BxM4C needs a service increase, that would mean a total restructuring of the route during the AM rush (which I wouldn't gon that way to begin with).

Edited by BM5 via Woodhaven

Would Mount Vernon be ideal for an express bus to Manhattan? (The BxM3 is currently one of only two express buses that serve Westchester, the other being the BxM4C)

Are you serious? Mount Vernon is not going to use an express bus.  Those people will use Metro-North and I'll explain why.  From Mount Vernon to Fordham the fare is $3.00 as it's an intermediate section of the line.  From there they can use their Metrocard and get the bus or to the subway to get into the city, which is apparently what a lot of them do from what I've seen.  Most of Mount Vernon while not poor is certainly not affluent and has seen better days, so they're looking to get around as cheap as possible.  Mount Vernon suffered from a lot of flight and hasn't recovered from it.

Not the point and yes, I know all about those short-turn buses(I got a picture of one). My point was to have more buses on the 7 in the area where the 100 used to help it out AFTER the 100 got rerouted. There's no reason the 7 should have more jammed buses after 207th.

The M100 only went to 220th street, so it's not like the old M100 went that much further north, as if there's a mass exodus of people getting off above 207th street.  Please.... I see the buses when I'm on the express bus and they that crowded. People in that area want to have their cake and eat it too.  The merchants claim that they'll lose business along Broadway in that area because of the M100 detour and then you have people yelling about how they need the M100 when the Bx7 still serves their stops.  The Bx7 runs frequently enough. The main issue is bunching, and there is no reason why even more Bx7's should be added when they haven't even addressed that issue. 

My sister (recent Baruch graduate) knew someone that lived in Staten Island (she never disclosed where in SI that person lived in, but she did mention Hylan Blvd, so I'm guessing it was the x1, or one of its variants) that took the express to Baruch, so I know of at least that one instance.... I've also been on BxM1's where riders have disembarked for Hunter, so I'm not disagreeing with your examples.....

However, the thing that hurts any express bus usage to Lehman, is the fact that it's in an outerborough...

(meaning, w/e students residing in some other outerborough would have to contend with reverse peak express bus headways to get to classes)...

Well I don't dispute that.  Service would only be hourly at the most, but that early in the morning, the first BxM4's are usually on time when I've used them during the week and on weekends.

For Mount Vernon, most take the MNRR. You'll probably have a few get to the BxM11 or the BxM4.

They don't take the BxM4 because that's in Woodlawn.  The ones close enough to Wakefield do use the BxM11 here and there though which is my guess.

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

The only exception to this would be IMO, St Johns. During the AM and PM rush in both directions, you can see students utilizing it (although during the PM to Manhattan, it's close to nothing). You'll see some during the midday hours in both directions though.

It would be cheaper to ride an express bus than taking Metro-North to Westchester...

Actually it would only be cheaper if said people rode from Grand Central or 125th street to Westchester, not from the Bronx to Westchester unless it was really far up in Westchester.  From the Bronx to Westchester a lot of the towns that are close to the NYC border have an intermediate fare similar to that of the subway, though slightly higher.

Increase service on the BxM4C. I hardly see any and they use Bee-Line buses.

To metro-north that is hence the abysmal Westchester county express service.

Are you serious? Mount Vernon is not going to use an express bus.  Those people will use Metro-North and I'll explain why.  From Mount Vernon to Fordham the fare is $3.00 as it's an intermediate section of the line.  From there they can use their Metrocard and get the bus or to the subway to get into the city, which is apparently what a lot of them do from what I've seen.  Most of Mount Vernon while not poor is certainly not affluent and has seen better days, so they're looking to get around as cheap as possible.  Mount Vernon suffered from a lot of flight and hasn't recovered from it.

The M100 only went to 220th street, so it's not like the old M100 went that much further north, as if there's a mass exodus of people getting off above 207th street.  Please.... I see the buses when I'm on the express bus and they that crowded. People in that area want to have their cake and eat it too.  The merchants claim that they'll lose business along Broadway in that area because of the M100 detour and then you have people yelling about how they need the M100 when the Bx7 still serves their stops.  The Bx7 runs frequently enough. The main issue is bunching, and there is no reason why even more Bx7's should be added when they haven't even addressed that issue. 

Well I don't dispute that.  Service would only be hourly at the most, but that early in the morning, the first BxM4's are usually on time when I've used them during the week and on weekends.

They don't take the BxM4 because that's in Woodlawn.  The ones close enough to Wakefield do use the BxM11 here and there though which is my guess.

That and vs bxm 11 it's laughably slow.

W40, W42, W52, or W55 to the subway would be better than MNR to Fordham and a walk or a bus ride to the subway. MNR Fordham has no direct subway next to it.

W40, W42, W52, or W55 to the subway would be better than MNR to Fordham and a walk or a bus ride to the subway. MNR Fordham has no direct subway next to it.

Truth be told, it seems as if people do just fine with the current set up.  They get on at Mount Vernon, make their way to Fordham and then go from there.  I've walked along Fordham Rd from the Metro-North station to get the BxM4 and while it's an uphill walk, it is certainly doable and not a long walk at all, plus the Bx12SBS is right here as well.  I've done it when I've had multiple tutoring sessions along the New Haven and Harlem Lines and wanted to cut back on my transportation expenses on Metro-North.  Get off at Fordham, and take the BxM4 in the rest of the way to the city since I have an express bus pass, plus I got sick of having to back track from Grand Central, so then I got even smarter and started getting rides from my last tutoring session to the BxM4 directly instead of back to the Metro-North station.  :lol: I do charge more for the Westchester sessions sometimes because of the added Metro-North expense and when I can save, I just pocket that. 

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

Would Mount Vernon be ideal for an express bus to Manhattan?

(The BxM3 is currently one of only two express buses that serve Westchester, the other being the BxM4C)

Absolutely not.... It's bad enough express bus service runs through SW Yonkers, for express buses to be running to Mt. Vernon....

The only exception to this would be IMO, St Johns. During the AM and PM rush in both directions, you can see students utilizing it (although during the PM to Manhattan, it's close to nothing). You'll see some during the midday hours in both directions though.

I don't see St. Johns as an exception to anything said & I'll tell you why.... Believe it or not, they actually marketed (or, tried to anyway) the old QM1/a to the campus (I don't know if this is still done, as I don't know anyone currently attending there), and mad of those students are bombarding Q30's within Jamaica, or Q46's @ Union Tpke. subway (seems like more than ever these days).....

If anything, there should be a somewhat decent & consistent usage of the union tpke. expresses to the campus (more than the activity that's present anyway).... You get a few stragglers here & there, and that's the extent of it..... No moral victories (so to speak) for a school that advertises the express bus - Usage should be far more abundant & apparent....

Agreed, that walk from MNRR Fordham to Grand Concourse is an absolute PITA... Especially on the weekend, where everyone & their mammas are out shopping along Fordham (rd).... This is actually a reason I stopped fanning/taking the BL-60/61 to/from white plains; the walk from the Concourse to Fordham Plaza is that much of a deterrent for me.... As much as I don't care for riding the 20 out there, I'll put up with it, over the 60 (since at least you can get off the (4) @ BPB & it's right there......

Edited by B35 via Church

Agreed, that walk from MNRR Fordham to Grand Concourse is an absolute PITA... Especially on the weekend, where everyone & their mammas are out shopping along Fordham (rd).... This is actually a reason I stopped fanning/taking the BL-60/61 to/from white plains; the walk from the Concourse to Fordham Plaza is that much of a deterrent for me.... As much as I don't care for riding the 20 out there, I'll put up with it, over the 60 (since at least you can get off the (4) @ BPB & it's right there......

You could also email Bee Line and ask them to consider extending more 40 buses to/from 241 St. Maybe if enough people request it, it may happen since it is better than the 20 to/from White Plains.

A little off topic, the 60 and 61 should go back to the Concourse...I can't do that walk

I don't necessarily care for the last dropoff stop either (although I do understand it)... Walking that one block along 3rd av, to fordham is no picnic either.... Ah hell, we both know the whole area is a mess....

You could also email Bee Line and ask them to consider extending more 40 buses to/from 241 St. Maybe if enough people request it, it may happen since it is better than the 20 to/from White Plains.

Sounds like a plan.... I do (well, would) favor the 40 over the 20 & the 60, AINEC.... Only part that would suck for me is the LONG ass (2) ride from Wakefield, to Church av (have a couple more 40 trips outside the rush run to the Bronx)

I don't necessarily care for the last dropoff stop either (although I do understand it)... Walking that one block along 3rd av, to fordham is no picnic either.... Ah hell, we both know the whole area is a mess....

Sounds like a plan.... I do (well, would) favor the 40 over the 20 & the 60, AINEC.... Only part that would suck for me is the LONG ass (2) ride from Wakefield, to Church av (have a couple more 40 trips outside the rush run to the Bronx)

Email Andrew Ziegler azz1@westchestergov.com  for Bee Line suggestions (more 40/41 to/from 241 St and other suggestions)

Transfer from the (2) to the (4) or (5) (then back to the (2) if needed) to speed up the ride.

There will be service cut on Bx12 SBS on Sunday in this fall. Not a big deal... At least non SBS of Bx12 local there wont be service cut.. At least when month of October come.. it will be big deal.. Why service cut on Bx12 SBS but not Bx12 local.. As Thanksgiving day coming , Christmas day coming.. They want service increase.. Due to Christmas or holiday shopping ..