Bronx Division Bus Proposals/Ideas

cotb16

What I don't understand is the point of branching Bx6 local service with the Bx46... It sounds to me like he wants to take away from the current Bx6 local portion.... But I won't hold my breath for a response from him....

lol... I think he wants to get rid of the Bx6 local entirely and just let the Bx6 be SBS.  You know how he is, but I actually agree with him. I don't see a need for a local version.  The Bx6 should be SBS only with a handful of stops eliminated.  The Bx46 could be extended to Yankee Stadium.

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looking through the Bx15 thread, and reading about the tidbit about the Bronx Crosstowns, would it be feasible to implement rush hour LTD stop service on either the Bx11, or the Bx35 (or both)? The purpose is to redistribute loads on the two routes, without having such uneven loads. Both routes run frequent enough to have LTD service during the rush without having a significant increase in waiting at local stops (timewise). Here would be the breakdown of Bx11 and Bx35 stops:

Bx11 LIMITED

Westbound:

West Farms Road & Westchester Avenue

West Farms Road & Jennings Street

East 172 Street & Southern Boulevard

Louis Niñe Boulevard & Boston Road

Claremont Parkway & 3 Avenue

Claremont Parkway & Webster Avenue

East 170 Street & Teller Avenue (maybe?)

East 170 Street & Grand Concourse (NE corner)

East 170 Street & Jerome Avenue

Plimpton Avenue & West 170 Street

West 181 Street & St Nicholas Avenue

West 179 Street & Broadway

Eastbound:

West 178 Street & Broadway

West 181 Street & St. Nicholas Avenue

Ogden Avenue & West 170 Street

West 170 Street & Jerome Avenue

East 170 Street & Grand Concourse (SE corner)

East 170 Street & Teller Avenue (maybe?)

Claremont Parkway & Webster Avenue

Claremont Parkway & Third Avenue

Louis Niñe Boulevard & Boston Road

Jennings Street & Southern Boulevard

West Farms Road & Boone Avenue

Bx35 LIMITED

Westbound:

East 169 Street & Prospect Avenue

East 169 Street & Boston Road

East 169 Street & Third Avenue

East 167 Street & Webster Avenue

East 167 Street & Morris Avenue (maybe?)

East 167 Street & Grand Concourse (NW Corner)

East 167 Street & River Avenue 

Edward L Grant Highway & West 170 Street

Broadway & W 179 Street

Eastbound:

Broadway & W 179 Street

Edward L Grant Highway & West 170 Street

East 167 Street & River Avenue 

East 167 Street & Grand Concourse (SE Corner)

East 167 Street & Morris Avenue (maybe?)

Webster Avenue & East 167 Street

East 169 Street & Third Avenue

East 169 Street & Boston Road

East 169 Street & Prospect Avenue

Within The Bronx, the Bx11/Bx11 LTD would run every 10 minutes (5 minutes combined, unlike the current Bx11 schedule which variates from every 4 to 6 minutes). The Bx11 would run along West 170 Street in Highbridge instead of the current local Bx11 alignment, because there are no stops south of West 170 Street on the Bx11 LTD within Highbridge. During the rush hour, travel between The Bronx and Manhattan would be faster compared to the current Bx11. 

The Bx35/Bx35 LTD would operate every 8 minutes (4 minutes combined, unlike the current Bx35 schedule which variates from every 3 to 5 minutes). Some stops are within close proximity to each other (mainly the ones in Claremont, near the projects), while most other stops are spaced farther apart. 

Edited by BM5 via Woodhaven Bl

Looking through the Bx15 thread, and reading about the tidbit about the Bronx Crosstowns, would it be feasible to implement rush hour LTD stop service on either the Bx11, or the Bx35 (or both)? The purpose is to redistribute loads on the two routes, without having such uneven loads. Both routes run frequent enough to have LTD service during the rush without having a significant increase in waiting at local stops (timewise). Here would be the breakdown of Bx11 and Bx35 stops:

Bx11 LIMITED

** List of (would be) LTD stops **

Bx35 LIMITED

** List of (would be) LTD stops **

Within The Bronx, the Bx11/Bx11 LTD would run every 10 minutes (5 minutes combined, unlike the current Bx11 schedule which variates from every 4 to 6 minutes). The Bx11 would run along West 170 Street in Highbridge instead of the current local Bx11 alignment, because there are no stops south of West 170 Street on the Bx11 LTD within Highbridge. During the rush hour, travel between The Bronx and Manhattan would be faster compared to the current Bx11. 

The Bx35/Bx35 LTD would operate every 8 minutes (4 minutes combined, unlike the current Bx35 schedule which variates from every 3 to 5 minutes). Some stops are within close proximity to each other (mainly the ones in Claremont, near the projects), while most other stops are spaced farther apart. 

What I find funny about this is, the Bx35 is used as if it's a "Bx11 LTD"....

Running w/ what you're saying w/ this here, if the aim is to try to distribute loads more evenly b/w the 2 routes, you would only need a Bx11 LTD.... The reason that uneven loads even exist is simply because the Bx35 is more direct b/w the 2 terminals (and for anyone trying to connect to w/e north-south route from either terminal as well).....

If I were to even bother coming up with a Bx11 LTD, I wouldn't have it serve that pocket b/w Southern & W. Farms rd at all... From W. Farms rd (the bus terminal), I'd have it parallel the Bx35 to Southern, run up Southern to Louis Nine, to regular route.... I also wouldn't have it connecting w/ the Bx17 inside the park, but one thing I would say is, west of 170th (4), I wouldn't have it skipping any stops....

By having a Bx35 LTD along w/ a Bx11 LTD, you defeat the purpose of any even distribution b/w the two, because you're also making the Bx35 faster along with the Bx11.... In laymens, all you'd be doing is shifting the imbalancement from the locals to the LTD's ;)

Edited by B35 via Church

I think he's referring to imbalances on the individual routes themselves (Having every bus make every stop results in some buses being bogged down while the other ones have relatively light loads, so having some run limited means that they take most of the passengers at the major stops, while the local buses take the remaining passengers, plus those at the local-only stops), rather than why the Bx11 gets less ridership than the Bx35.

I think he's referring to imbalances on the individual routes themselves (Having every bus make every stop results in some buses being bogged down while the other ones have relatively light loads, so having some run limited means that they take most of the passengers at the major stops, while the local buses take the remaining passengers, plus those at the local-only stops), rather than why the Bx11 gets less ridership than the Bx35.

If that's the case, then the statement after his question is misleading.

I'm going to leave most of my thoughts on this below in response to B35, but quick question: Why wouldn't your proposed Bx11/35 LTDs keep the same stop as the Bx36 LTD in Manhattan? Also EL Grant/University would be a better LTD stop for the 35 LTD than 170/EL Grant (more x-fers especially if you're going to have it skip Amsterdam)..

Running w/ what you're saying w/ this here, if the aim is to try to distribute loads more evenly b/w the 2 routes, you would only need a Bx11 LTD.... The reason that uneven loads even exist is simply because the Bx35 is more direct b/w the 2 terminals (and for anyone trying to connect to w/e north-south route from either terminal as well).....

If I were to even bother coming up with a Bx11 LTD, I wouldn't have it serve that pocket b/w Southern & W. Farms rd at all... From W. Farms rd (the bus terminal), I'd have it parallel the Bx35 to Southern, run up Southern to Louis Nine, to regular route.... I also wouldn't have it connecting w/ the Bx17 inside the park, but one thing I would say is, west of 170th (4), I wouldn't have it skipping any stops....

By having a Bx35 LTD along w/ a Bx11 LTD, you defeat the purpose of any even distribution b/w the two, because you're also making the Bx35 faster along with the Bx11.... In laymens, all you'd be doing is shifting the imbalancement from the locals to the LTD's ;)

Personally ranking the 181-Bronx routes for LTD I'd say Bx36>Bx3>Bx35>Bx11=Bx13.

It might seem odd to put the 11/13 in the bottom spot together when the Bx13 clearly doesn't need LTD but something about the Bx11 strikes me as a case where LTD wouldn't help it. The lights on 170 between Clay-Jerome + the Bx18s not being able to relieve it + the underpass (170 has the longest one yet somehow it mars traffic) = 10-15 mins to go all of 3-5 stops during peak sometimes.  While I agree the WF road section is useless for LTD, I was actually thinking the opposite of the bolded: What's the point of a Bx11 LTD if it's still serving Ogden/Highbridge at all? I know the library is there but imo all of the runs could use EL to 170 if they wanted to speed it up because:

a) The Bx13 can and does handle Ogden by itself (the Bx11 just bunches behind it and picks up Wash Hts. riders from the Bx13 short turn)

b) There are way too many stops along 168/Shakespeare and additionally they're all walking distance to the Bx13.

c) Granted, I don't live in Highbridge but I've yet to see the benefit to getting off at 170 (4)/(D) vs. 161 when the Bx13 is more frequent, has runs that start at the train and they usually dump most passengers by W 163/165.

As for the Bx35 LTD, traffic seems to flow more on 167 (that light at Morris is trash) but the turn at Webster is a chokepoint. LTD service would stop the bunching but I'm inclined to think that short-turning some Bx35s at the bridge would help also (I've never seen a Plimpton 11/ Grant/University 35 before).

Personally ranking the 181-Bronx routes for LTD I'd say Bx36>Bx3>Bx35>Bx11=Bx13.

It might seem odd to put the 11/13 in the bottom spot together when the Bx13 clearly doesn't need LTD but something about the Bx11 strikes me as a case where LTD wouldn't help it. The lights on 170 between Clay-Jerome + the Bx18s not being able to relieve it + the underpass (170 has the longest one yet somehow it mars traffic) = 10-15 mins to go all of 3-5 stops during peak sometimes.  While I agree the WF road section is useless for LTD, I was actually thinking the opposite of the bolded: What's the point of a Bx11 LTD if it's still serving Ogden/Highbridge at all? I know the library is there but imo all of the runs could use EL to 170 if they wanted to speed it up because:

a) The Bx13 can and does handle Ogden by itself (the Bx11 just bunches behind it and picks up Wash Hts. riders from the Bx13 short turn)

b) There are way too many stops along 168/Shakespeare and additionally they're all walking distance to the Bx13.

c) Granted, I don't live in Highbridge but I've yet to see the benefit to getting off at 170 (4)/(D) vs. 161 when the Bx13 is more frequent, has runs that start at the train and they usually dump most passengers by W 163/165.

As for the Bx35 LTD, traffic seems to flow more on 167 (that light at Morris is trash) but the turn at Webster is a chokepoint. LTD service would stop the bunching but I'm inclined to think that short-turning some Bx35s at the bridge would help also (I've never seen a Plimpton 11/ Grant/University 35 before).

Rhetorically speaking, the question I have is, what's the point of a Bx11 LTD period....

Whilst trying to show impartiality in that reply in question, FTR, I'm not defending BM5's proposal at all; I don't see a need for LTD service on either route (Bx11, 35) & most certainly not for the reason for redistributing loads or whatever....

But to address what I said about if I were to even have a Bx11 LTD (run between its current terminals anyway)..... The point of having it not skip stops west of the (4) is more for intra-Bronx riders getting down from the higher terrain of Highbridge towards the rest of the Bronx.... If the idea/his (BM5's) idea of LTD service is to solely gear towards inter-borough riders, then it may as well go straight from the (4) to Washington Heights via E.L. Grant....

I have more of a problem that the Bx11 even runs to West Farms rd (the bus terminal) than I do any uneven loads between separate/differing Bx11 trips, or uneven usage as it compares to the Bx35, but that's entirely another topic.... The way I see it, even though overall Bx11 usage (in terms of the daily ridership stats) is somewhat comparable to the Bx35, it still feels like Bx35 "backup"; much like those that take the Bx30 b/w Co-op & Gun Hill (2) instead of the notorious/infamous Bx28.....

I did not have the Bx11 making so many stops in Higbridge because I believe the Bx11 Local and the Bx13 would be sufficient enough for residents over there. Additionally, some of the stops are within walking distance of the LTD stop, if riders want, they can take the LTD instead (and for some, save stuff). The LTD west of the (4) on the Bx11 at that point is geared more towards interborough riders. However, I believe that the stop at Ogden/Plimpton & W 170 St should be made in order to skip way too many stops, and to not push so many riders onto the local buses. 

Don't have much of a problem skipping most areas west of Southern Boulevard. I myself was skeptical of adding stops there (but decided to keep a few). 

While the proposal does deal with imbalance on the individual routes themselves, I have also seen what B35 is talking about regarding the difference in ridership between the Bx35. The Bx35 in reality is not a very long route, but it gets slammed. The Bx11 also gets its fair share of riders, but there's generally more space on buses (overall), although winding (mainly in Highbridge). A route that is gets slammed and also is winding though would be the Bx36 (which already has LTD service). If a Bx11 LTD would get people off the Bx35, that's a good thing, I suppose.

I'm going to leave most of my thoughts on this below in response to B35, but quick question: Why wouldn't your proposed Bx11/35 LTDs keep the same stop as the Bx36 LTD in Manhattan? Also EL Grant/University would be a better LTD stop for the 35 LTD than 170/EL Grant (more x-fers especially if you're going to have it skip Amsterdam)..

Like the Bx11, the stop selection west of the (4) is geared more towards interborough riders. As for why the LTD's don't have the same stops, it was because I wanted to make the routes "true LTDs". I've seen many riders get off at St. Nicholas Avenue, however the stops at Wadsworth & W 181 Street are close in terms of dropoffs.

In terms of pickups though, it can vary (although I notice more pickups than dropoffs at G W Bridge). Perhaps those stops can stay too though, if bypassing Amsterdam Avenue and Wadsworth Avenue would cause more problems than it should.

Rhetorically speaking, the question I have is, what's the point of a Bx11 LTD period....

Whilst trying to show impartiality in that reply in question, FTR, I'm not defending BM5's proposal at all; I don't see a need for LTD service on either route (Bx11, 35) & most certainly not for the reason for redistributing loads or whatever....

But to address what I said about if I were to even have a Bx11 LTD (run between its current terminals anyway)..... The point of having it not skip stops west of the (4) is more for intra-Bronx riders getting down from the higher terrain of Highbridge towards the rest of the Bronx.... If the idea/his (BM5's) idea of LTD service is to solely gear towards inter-borough riders, then it may as well go straight from the (4) to Washington Heights via E.L. Grant....

I have more of a problem that the Bx11 even runs to West Farms rd (the bus terminal) than I do any uneven loads between separate/differing Bx11 trips, or uneven usage as it compares to the Bx35, but that's entirely another topic.... The way I see it, even though overall Bx11 usage (in terms of the daily ridership stats) is somewhat comparable to the Bx35, it still feels like Bx35 "backup"; much like those that take the Bx30 b/w Co-op & Gun Hill (2) instead of the notorious/infamous Bx28.....

Like I previously mentioned, the Bx11 LTD has that one stop in order to not skip too many stops. If it wouldn't be such a problem to send the Bx11 LTD's straight from the (4) to Washington, then I guess I would be up for it. As for the Bx11, I don't know if anything can be done in particular on the eastern end. I have a few areas where I would send it (if it didn't run to (or only to) West Farms Road & Westchester Avenue). These places include:

1) West Farms Square (regular route to Southern & Jennings/ E 172 St, then via Southern Boulevard and Boston Road).

2) Bronx Zoo (via same alignment, but runs up Devoe Avenue after reaching West Farms Square)

3) Freeman Street (2)(5) (service would continue on Louis Niñé Boulevard until Southern, then up Southern Boulevard, and terminate at Jennings Street. Service to GWB would go up Southern Boulevard, then turn left onto E 172 Street).

4) Hunts Point Avenue (6) (regular route to Southern & Jennings/E 172 Street, then via Southern Boulevard, and terminate at the train station).

I did not have the Bx11 making so many stops in Higbridge because I believe the Bx11 Local and the Bx13 would be sufficient enough for residents over there. Additionally, some of the stops are within walking distance of the LTD stop, if riders want, they can take the LTD instead (and for some, save stuff). The LTD west of the (4) on the Bx11 at that point is geared more towards interborough riders. However, I believe that the stop at Ogden/Plimpton & W 170 St should be made in order to skip way too many stops, and to not push so many riders onto the local buses. 

Don't have much of a problem skipping most areas west of Southern Boulevard. I myself was skeptical of adding stops there (but decided to keep a few). 

While the proposal does deal with imbalance on the individual routes themselves, I have also seen what B35 is talking about regarding the difference in ridership between the Bx35. The Bx35 in reality is not a very long route, but it gets slammed. The Bx11 also gets its fair share of riders, but there's generally more space on buses (overall), although winding (mainly in Highbridge). A route that is gets slammed and also is winding though would be the Bx36 (which already has LTD service). If a Bx11 LTD would get people off the Bx35, that's a good thing, I suppose.

Like the Bx11, the stop selection west of the (4) is geared more towards interborough riders. As for why the LTD's don't have the same stops, it was because I wanted to make the routes "true LTDs". I've seen many riders get off at St. Nicholas Avenue, however the stops at Wadsworth & W 181 Street are close in terms of dropoffs.

In terms of pickups though, it can vary (although I notice more pickups than dropoffs at G W Bridge). Perhaps those stops can stay too though, if bypassing Amsterdam Avenue and Wadsworth Avenue would cause more problems than it should.

Like I previously mentioned, the Bx11 LTD has that one stop in order to not skip too many stops. If it wouldn't be such a problem to send the Bx11 LTD's straight from the (4) to Washington, then I guess I would be up for it. As for the Bx11, I don't know if anything can be done in particular on the eastern end. I have a few areas where I would send it (if it didn't run to (or only to) West Farms Road & Westchester Avenue). These places include:

1) West Farms Square (regular route to Southern & Jennings/ E 172 St, then via Southern Boulevard and Boston Road).

2) Bronx Zoo (via same alignment, but runs up Devoe Avenue after reaching West Farms Square)

3) Freeman Street (2)(5) (service would continue on Louis Niñé Boulevard until Southern, then up Southern Boulevard, and terminate at Jennings Street. Service to GWB would go up Southern Boulevard, then turn left onto E 172 Street).

4) Hunts Point Avenue (6) (regular route to Southern & Jennings/E 172 Street, then via Southern Boulevard, and terminate at the train station).

It's somewhere in this thread, but I remember years ago, Cotb16 brought up splitting the Bx36...

* One of the routes went between Fordham Plaza & Castle Hill (don't remember the exact routing on the northern section, but south of Tremont (2), it was basically the current Bx36 up until Lafayette..... He had it running down WPR all the way to Lacombe instead, where it then turned off for Castle Hill).... I'll admit that while would be a good alternative to the Bx22 (which, as currently routed, IDRC for)....

* The other route ran from GWB to Clason Point, which is an extension of the current Bx36. - basically straightened along 180th & ran down Rosedale to phase out the Bx27... That was back in the day where there was this fascination with wanting to combine the Bx27 with *some route*... I didn't quite get this part of the split, but w/e.....

I'm bringing up that idea of his for a particular reason..... Whether intentional on his part or not, the one thing I agree with is the Bx36 not really needing to serve both the heavily utilized 174th st & 180th st corridors..... The route simply does too much b/w GWB & Soundview.....

The ideas I had for the Bx36 were to either:

- truncate it to E. Tremont (2) itself (exact same first/last pickup/dropoff setup & turnaround scenario as the Bx9), or...

- to run it to Met Oval via E. Tremont & Unionport after serving E. Tremont (2) - basically kicking out & eliminating the Bx4a.....

My idea for the Bx11 was to end it at Hugh Grant Circle (last dropoff would be the current Q44 Queens bound stop & the first pickup would be on the other end of the circle; current Bx Zoo bound Q44).... It would serve the 174th st corridor (instead of creating a new route like Cotb did).... Short turns were to end at the last current stop the Bx11 makes along Jennings (alongside the school).... Whether this rendition of a Bx11 (to Parkchester or E. Tremont (2)) would need a LTD, I never thought about, but it would be something to consider.... But one for the current/real Bx11, I wouldn't add one....

To sum it up, the "relationship" (or whatever you wanna call it) that exists b/w the Bx11 & the Bx35, I think should exist b/w the Bx11 & the Bx36 instead....

As for your suggestions, an extension to Hunts Pt. (6) sounds the most interesting.... The first 2 are essentially the same, which I considered (as was mentioned).... I wouldn't end it at Freeman (2); IDK, seems random for some reason....

I did not have the Bx11 making so many stops in Higbridge because I believe the Bx11 Local and the Bx13 would be sufficient enough for residents over there.

I think the Bx11 is emptier in regards to interborough passengers because using Ogden at any point takes too long to get from Amsterdam to Jerome.  LTDs bypassing Amsterdam will cause people to take the local (a decent amount of people x-fer to the M101) and I don't see you saving too much time skipping Wadsworth...

It's somewhere in this thread, but I remember years ago, Cotb16 brought up splitting the Bx36...

* One of the routes went between Fordham Plaza & Castle Hill (don't remember the exact routing on the northern section, but south of Tremont (2), it was basically the current Bx36 up until Lafayette..... He had it running down WPR all the way to Lacombe instead, where it then turned off for Castle Hill).... I'll admit that while would be a good alternative to the Bx22 (which, as currently routed, IDRC for)....

* The other route ran from GWB to Clason Point, which is an extension of the current Bx36. - basically straightened along 180th & ran down Rosedale to phase out the Bx27... That was back in the day where there was this fascination with wanting to combine the Bx27 with *some route*... I didn't quite get this part of the split, but w/e.....

I'm bringing up that idea of his for a particular reason..... Whether intentional on his part or not, the one thing I agree with is the Bx36 not really needing to serve both the heavily utilized 174th st & 180th st corridors..... The route simply does too much b/w GWB & Soundview.....

- truncate it to E. Tremont (2) itself (exact same first/last pickup/dropoff setup & turnaround scenario as the Bx9), or...

- to run it to Met Oval via E. Tremont & Unionport after serving E. Tremont (2) - basically kicking out & eliminating the Bx4a.....

My idea for the Bx11 was to end it at Hugh Grant Circle (last dropoff would be the current Q44 Queens bound stop & the first pickup would be on the other end of the circle; current Bx Zoo bound Q44).... It would serve the 174th st corridor (instead of creating a new route like Cotb did).... Short turns were to end at the last current stop the Bx11 makes along Jennings (alongside the school).... Whether this rendition of a Bx11 (to Parkchester or E. Tremont (2)) would need a LTD, I never thought about, but it would be something to consider.... But one for the current/real Bx11, I wouldn't add one....

Personally, I think the 22 is fine (imo the best way from the NW Bronx to the SE Bronx as taking the Bx12/ (6) is hit or miss).

I do agree on the issue of the Bx36 serving 174 and 180... I tend to hop off it at WF Square for the Q44 when I need Parkchester (even on the LTD that Boston/174 section is a pain). That being said I'm neutral on ending it at WF Square but opposed to turning the Bx36 at Met Oval.  It'll miss several bus connections, I don't even think the BxM6 should be ending there and that's not going to get rid of the Bx4A (mainly because it's not going to cover it at all). The Bx4A wouldn't be a thing had they just left the Bx14 alone (I blame Country Club for that cut + the many route changes that happened afterwards) but the Bx24 can't go to Parkchester now so there's nothing that can be done about that now..

Re Bx11: My issue with the Bx11 has always been there isn't a single thing it does in Highbridge (intra or interborough) that the Bx13/35 don't do better. I've usually ended up walking up 170/taking the 18 because it got packed at Jerome. I could be missing something but only useful if one is going to/from Ogden and they you specifically need 170 (and/or a bus connection E of Jerome)... You could fix the later part by extending the Bx13 short turns to 3 Av outside of AM rush as opposed to turning at the Stadium. Part of me wants to say you can leave the Bx36 GWB-Soundview with LTD and extend the Bx11 to Parkchester no LTD if the former just follows the Q44 SBS WFS-HGC.

While waiting for the BxM1, I saw not one but two Bx10 buses bunched up coming down Henry Hudson Parkway. What would cause such bunching on weekends?  No traffic in Riverdale, so it must be either down the hill by 231st or elsewhere east.  Norwood?

Riverdale is never the reason for Bx10's bunching..... I'm going to go ahead & guess 231st as being the culprit.

Personally, I think the 22 is fine (imo the best way from the NW Bronx to the SE Bronx as taking the Bx12/ (6) is hit or miss).

I do agree on the issue of the Bx36 serving 174 and 180... I tend to hop off it at WF Square for the Q44 when I need Parkchester (even on the LTD that Boston/174 section is a pain). That being said I'm neutral on ending it at WF Square but opposed to turning the Bx36 at Met Oval.  It'll miss several bus connections, I don't even think the BxM6 should be ending there and that's not going to get rid of the Bx4A (mainly because it's not going to cover it at all). The Bx4A wouldn't be a thing had they just left the Bx14 alone (I blame Country Club for that cut + the many route changes that happened afterwards) but the Bx24 can't go to Parkchester now so there's nothing that can be done about that now..

Re Bx11: My issue with the Bx11 has always been there isn't a single thing it does in Highbridge (intra or interborough) that the Bx13/35 don't do better. I've usually ended up walking up 170/taking the 18 because it got packed at Jerome. I could be missing something but only useful if one is going to/from Ogden and they you specifically need 170 (and/or a bus connection E of Jerome)... You could fix the later part by extending the Bx13 short turns to 3 Av outside of AM rush as opposed to turning at the Stadium. Part of me wants to say you can leave the Bx36 GWB-Soundview with LTD and extend the Bx11 to Parkchester no LTD if the former just follows the Q44 SBS WFS-HGC.

Just as I think the Bx36 shouldn't serve both 174th & 180th, I don't think it should be running down to Soundview either... For all I care, the Bx5's short turn can be extended to Olmstead/Randall in its place to make it more useful.... Since you say the 174th section is a pain, I'm guessing you would have the Bx36 run along the Cross Bronx service rd from E. Tremont (av) to White Plains rd with the Q44, to then continue doing the rest of the Bx36 southward....

As for the Bx4a, I understand that it took the place of the Bx14.... A Bx36 ending at Met Oval would only miss the Bx4 & the Bx5 as far as bus connections go (Met Oval as a terminal for the BxM6 I don't have a problem with).... But for the sole sake of connecting to the (6), yeah, it would have to go down to Hugh Grant cir. anyway to do away with the Bx4a.... Just like the Bx14, the Bx4a doesn't get anymore usage b/w Parkchester & Westchester sq. than it did.... Out of Westchester Sq, the Bx4a is used as if it's a diverted Bx4 (meaning, folks are riding past Parkchester) & anyone in Parkchester that takes it doesn't really ride too much further than WPR (from what I notice anyway)..... While the Bx4a is a good alternative to the old Bx14, I would not keep it around if I had the Bx36 serve Parkchester.....

I'm not necessarily disagreeing w/ the Bx11 comment (as it relates to the Bx13 & Bx35), but at the same time, I don't have as big of an issue with it serving Ogden/Plimpton as much as I do with it ending at W. Farms/Southern along w/ the Bx35.....

To sum it up, the "relationship" (or whatever you wanna call it) that exists b/w the Bx11 & the Bx35, I think should exist b/w the Bx11 & the Bx36 instead....

As for your suggestions, an extension to Hunts Pt. (6) sounds the most interesting.... The first 2 are essentially the same, which I considered (as was mentioned).... I wouldn't end it at Freeman (2); IDK, seems random for some reason....

Based on your suggestions, what would happen to service to Castle Hill Houses? Would it become part of a new route, or would the Bx22 and/or Bx39 be diverted to serve more parts of the Castle Hill Houses? Given how buses often tank at Parkchester coming from the south, I think having Bx39 buses serve Castle Hill Houses would be the better option (instead of dedicating a new route). 

I would send the Bx36 to Parkchester via East Tremont Avenue, to boot out the Bx4A, over terminating at Parkchester. However, I would do that because the Bx40 and Bx42 tend to bunch quite often. That is not to say that the Bx36 wouldn't bunch either, but waiting for those buses tends to become quite a hassle at times. I never liked riding the Bx40 or Bx42 for that reason. The multiple times I've taken the routes over the years (and in different locations), those buses would always come bunched. It would be worse when it was the Bx40 that I was specifically waiting for.  Regardless of truncating the Bx36 or "extending" the Bx36 towards Parkchester, I would just make all the buses Bx4s. The headways past Parkchester on both routes are crappy. The most frequent headway on either branch is 12 minutes, during the peak direction in the AM rush hour.

Also, would the Bx11 serve West Farms Square? There's a considerable amount of people from the E 174 Street stretch going up to West Farms Square. It could be done though, as buses can use Southern, to Boston Road, to West Farms Road, to E 174 Street, and then on to Parkchester. Since it's rather indirect when passing Boston Road, the Bx11 could turn off Wilkins to Boston Road, and then take that to West Farms Road. 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Since we're talking about splits, I have proposal regarding the Bx8 and the Bx21. There's obviously an imbalance in ridership between the northern and southern portions of the Bx8 (with the middle at Westchester Square). There is more demand on the northern portion, and therefore should be an individual route. The Bx8 would essentially run from Westchester Square to Williamsbridge with headway increases in the PM rush hour, where it would receive a service increase. Those buses get slammed, and the headways do not meet up with the demand (every 8-10 minutes is not enough at times). 3 buses are needed on the weekends at any given time (for the most part). 

The southern portion would be part of a different route, because splitting the route would have the southern route receiving headway increases. However, that wouldn't mean it is necessarily safe from receiving headway increases, because at times I believe that there's more service than warranted, while the northern portion gets shafted.

The Bx21 also tends to load/tank out by East 180 Street coming from Mott Haven, and the portion east tends to be somewhat lagging compared to the rest of the route. It is not always that way, but for the most part, it is. Now, I would split the Bx21 so that it terminates at East 180 Street subway station. The eastern split would be combined with the southern portion of the Bx8, named the Bx14. Now, the difference is that the route would take Eastchester Road to East Tremont Avenue to get to Westchester Square, instead of Waters Place and Westchester Avenue. Headways would be every 10 minutes during the AM & PM rush, every 15 or 20 minute during the midday hours, and every 30 minutes during the evening hours.

Now, the issue I see with that, is that late night service would be discontinued on Morris Park Avenue. Perhaps the Bx21 could run every 50 minutes during the overnight instead (terminates at West Farms Square instead), while the new route operates at whatever frequency, or do the same thing like the current Bx39 where the Morris Park Avenue segment of the Bx14 would get overnight service.

Based on your suggestions, what would happen to service to Castle Hill Houses? Would it become part of a new route, or would the Bx22 and/or Bx39 be diverted to serve more parts of the Castle Hill Houses? Given how buses often tank at Parkchester coming from the south, I think having Bx39 buses serve Castle Hill Houses would be the better option (instead of dedicating a new route). 

I would send the Bx36 to Parkchester via East Tremont Avenue, to boot out the Bx4A, over terminating at Parkchester. However, I would do that because the Bx40 and Bx42 tend to bunch quite often. That is not to say that the Bx36 wouldn't bunch either, but waiting for those buses tends to become quite a hassle at times. I never liked riding the Bx40 or Bx42 for that reason. The multiple times I've taken the routes over the years (and in different locations), those buses would always come bunched. It would be worse when it was the Bx40 that I was specifically waiting for.  Regardless of truncating the Bx36 or "extending" the Bx36 towards Parkchester, I would just make all the buses Bx4s. The headways past Parkchester on both routes are crappy. The most frequent headway on either branch is 12 minutes, during the peak direction in the AM rush hour.

Also, would the Bx11 serve West Farms Square? There's a considerable amount of people from the E 174 Street stretch going up to West Farms Square. It could be done though, as buses can use Southern, to Boston Road, to West Farms Road, to E 174 Street, and then on to Parkchester. Since it's rather indirect when passing Boston Road, the Bx11 could turn off Wilkins to Boston Road, and then take that to West Farms Road. 

What exactly is wrong with the Bx4A and what's up with having the Bx36 replace it?  From my observations, the Bx4A is quite infrequent.  Seems like an afterthought.  I would never use it after getting off of the BxM6 anywhere in the complex, as walking is faster anyway.  I do see a few people get on at the Oval though.  Always hilarious because there are more BxM6 passengers than Bx4A passengers at that stop, and somehow they seem to think they aren't the only ones waiting for that bus, so they wait all that time to almost miss it. lol

What I will say is I don't understand why all of the Bronx local buses meander "crosstown". It seems like none of them have a direct route and that is why I would never use any of them coming from Riverdale.  Too many transfers involved. It's much easier going into Manhattan, and transferring for an express bus there.  If timed right, it is actually faster.  Some of it has to do with topography, but outside of that... Very weird... I thought Brooklyn was tough crosstown... The Bronx is the WORST.  

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

Bx31 extension to Parkchester? And cut the Bx4A.

Extend it to where exactly?  I don't see how any extension replaces the Bx4A because the only difference between the 4 and 4A is that the 4A serves the Parkchester complex, so extending the Bx31 would mean Parkchester residents losing a one seat ride since I'm sure you wouldn't extend it all the way to the Hub.  The Bx31 is bad enough as it is.

Extend it to where exactly? I don't see how any extension replaces the Bx4A because the only difference between the 4 and 4A is that the 4A serves the Parkchester complex, so extending the Bx31 would mean Parkchester residents losing a one seat ride since I'm sure you wouldn't extend it all the way to the Hub. The Bx31 is bad enough as it is.

I was thinking of extending it to the HJG circle.

I was thinking of extending it to the HJG circle.

Still would require Parkchester residents to transfer to the Bx4, which I'm pretty sure they would not care for at all.  I'm surprised they haven't circulated a petition for more Bx4A service.  It runs pretty poorly.  I often times wait for the BxM6 and can count the Bx4A buses that come on one hand.  Maybe two at the most.  Unless you're lazy, not mobile, or the weather is terribly hot, you can generally walk to the (6) train faster from most of the complex unless you're going uphill on Metropolitan with bags or something.

My problem with the Bx22 is its routing north of E. Tremont av; so nothing would happen to the Castle Hill houses as far as that goes (FYI, those aren't the Castle Hill houses on that block binding the Bx36 turnaround scenario, that's Jamey/Jamie Towers, however it's spelled).... As for the Bx36 truncation from Soundview, well, folks are gonna have to walk over to the Bx22 (less likely) or the Bx39 (more likely) if they need the (6) & what not.... The Bx36 in the area is used more or less like it's a "direct Bx39" to the (6)..... The Bx39 itself I wouldn't remove from ShoreHaven to divert it to the Castle Hill PJ's though (not even on a part time/short turn basis) - as those folks (and those that live just outside of the gated community as well) clearly patronize the Bx39 over the Bx27.... Matter fact, they tend to shun the Bx27....

You mean, you would favor Bx36's ending at Parkchester over terminating it at West Farms (E. Tremont (2))..... I do too, as you could justify actually keeping service levels exactly as they are now w/ buses running to Soundview.... Which means Parkchester benefits drastically, as the Bx22 really isn't to be desired & the Bx4a really isn't used all that much in that pocket of Parkchester, save for getting to/from Parkchester (6) (which quite a bit of people hoof it to the subway anyway, over waiting for the Bx4a - which says enough).... That was the same deal w/ the old Bx14..... Anyway, a Bx36 truncation to the (2) would not warrant near as much service (still high, but not ~ every 3 mins during the rush, high).....

I get what you're saying w/ the Bx40/42 & I tend to agree, although that had nothing to do w/ the Bx36 suggestion (Lol, an added bonus I guess).... I'm convinced that b/o's are being instructed to crawl that route (just like w/ the B52); getting from Throgs Neck to the (6) is torture & getting from River Park Towers to the (4) is a god damn PITA..... The "core" of the route (from Webster to Westchester Sq.) isn't any better....

I wouldn't have the Bx11 serve E. Tremont (2)... The Bx21's going to have to pick up that slack b/w the shopping plaza & E. Tremont (av)/subway.... The would-be full route Bx11's:

- towards Grant cir. would go Claremont<->Wilkins, Boston, 174th, current Bx36 to Rosedale/Cross Bx service rd, current Jamaica bound Q44 to Hugh Grant Cir (south of the subway tracks) [dropoff only]....

- towards GWB would go Hugh Grant Cir (north of the subway tracks), current Q44 to 174th/Cross Bx. service rd, current Bx36 to Vyse av, 174th st, Hoe, 173rd, Boston (current SB Bx21 stop at that JHS), Wilkins<->Claremont, etc....

As for the backtrack you mention in the last paragraph, there is an overpass on 174th that gets you to the other side of the Sheridan... West Farms rd. in that general area over there by Jennings on the Bx11 pretty much parallels the Sheridan.... I'm not so sure you can get back to 174th from W. Farms rd, but I'll take your word for it....

What I will say is I don't understand why all of the Bronx local buses meander "crosstown". It seems like none of them have a direct route and that is why I would never use any of them coming from Riverdale.  Too many transfers involved. It's much easier going into Manhattan, and transferring for an express bus there.  If timed right, it is actually faster.  Some of it has to do with topography, but outside of that... Very weird... I thought Brooklyn was tough crosstown... The Bronx is the WORST.  

I'd say the Bronx river (the actual river) has a lot to do with it.... F***s up the (street) grid tremendously..... Far worse than what Flatbush av did/does to the street grid here in Brooklyn.....

- I would consider extending the Bx31 to Parkchester. How I would do it is run the Bx31 under Westchester Av after reaching Westchester Sq and have Bx4 buses follow the Bx4a routing between Parkchester and Westchester Sq. 

- If sending the Bx11 to Parkchester is going to be taken seriously then I wouldn't have the Bx36 terminating there as well. That's either going to have to run to Soundview or be cut back to West Farms Sq

- During my brief stint living in Clasons Point, the Bx39 was always my go-to route over the Bx27. I was being driven to and from school so there were only a few places I went to by bus and the Bx39 served them much better than the Bx27. For the subway, I would rather get the (6) at Parkchester than Morrison Av and for general shopping we either drove to Bay Plaza or went to the Pelham Pkwy/WPR business area. There was also the fact that the Bx27 passes through some seedy PJ's between Clasons Point and the (6)

Edited by JubaionBx12+SBS

- I would consider extending the Bx31 to Parkchester. How I would do it is run the Bx31 under Westchester Av after reaching Westchester Sq and have Bx4 buses follow the Bx4a routing between Parkchester and Westchester Sq. 

- If sending the Bx11 to Parkchester is going to be taken seriously then I wouldn't have the Bx36 terminating there as well. That's either going to have to run to Soundview or be cut back to West Farms Sq

- During my brief stint living in Clasons Point, the Bx39 was always my go-to route over the Bx27. I was being driven to and from school so there were only a few places I went to by bus and the Bx39 served them much better than the Bx27. For the subway, I would rather get the (6) at Parkchester than Morrison Av and for general shopping we either drove to Bay Plaza or went to the Pelham Pkwy/WPR business area. There was also the fact that the Bx27 passed through some seedy PJ's between Clasons Point and the (6)

-Your idea is probably better because it gives the Parkchester complex more service.  The people along Westchester Avenue could simply take the Bx4 through the complex.  Would be all of 5 minutes.  

-lol@ seedy PJ's...

I'd want no part of extending the Bx31; all that's gonna happen is that riders'll tank out @ Westchester sq. from the north, and it'll carry practically air b/w Westchester Sq. & Met Oval (I'd compare it to the Bx24 b/w PBP & Westchester sq (neither, inclusive)).... In short, I wouldn't extend the Bx31 to Parkchester, just to benefit folks getting from the heart of the Parkchester residential complex (or w/e you wanna call it) to Hugh Grant Circle.....

I'd want no part of extending the Bx31; all that's gonna happen is that riders'll tank out @ Westchester sq. from the north, and it'll carry practically air b/w Westchester Sq. & Met Oval (I'd compare it to the Bx24 b/w PBP & Westchester sq (neither, inclusive)).... In short, I wouldn't extend the Bx31 to Parkchester, just to benefit folks getting from the heart of the Parkchester residential complex (or w/e you wanna call it) to Hugh Grant Circle.....

As it stands currently, residents within the complex probably get two Bx4A buses for every BxM6 bus. Pretty pathetic.

The Bx31 seems to be a strange route in general and I think something needs to be done to increase it's usefulness south of Eastchester/Boston. I hardly see anyone waiting for southbound service at any stop south of Boston Road which is odd since northbound buses do pick up at Westchester Sq. 

The Northeast Bronx is lacking in North/South bus service and the Bx31 is it so it should be carrying a lot more than it does especially from Baychester and Pelham Gardens folks who seem to be shunning it. The Wakefield and Edenwald folks are holding this route down surprisingly enough.