R188 Discussion Thread

East New York

It was only yesterday that i'll have a fit about where trains go. I ride around in an Honda now so I don't nearly give a flying flip around train assignments as much. The only say I have is "IF" all (7) R62A's go to the (6) then w/ just 60-70 R142A's I only see them being used as spares or put-ins for rush-hours.

i think that maybe the thing they do i hope thats what they do. i ask ppl all over about trains and i hear they love the new cars and most ask why do that and not ask anyone how they feel i love the MTA but sometimes they amaze me on how they do things, the (6) is one of the most used lines in the city and giving them old cars that are way smaller the doors are not as wide that cab room is a big problem

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i think that maybe the thing they do i hope thats what they do. i ask ppl all over about trains and i hear they love the new cars and most ask why do that and not ask anyone how they feel i love the MTA but sometimes they amaze me on how they do things, the (6) is one of the most used lines in the city and giving them old cars that are way smaller the doors are not as wide that cab room is a big problem

The whole Lexington Line is thee most used line in the system (point blank). (5) shares w/ the (2) so the busy (4)(6) lines are the only options. Plus the R62A's aren't that bad I can only imagine what it's like when it finished SMS.

Some R62A's are staying singles so there is a chance in the future that during rush hour on the (6)<6> you will find a RFW on the end of the train. The reason they are keeping a few R62As as singles is for work service when they retire. The redbirds are not going to last until 2025.

The whole Lexington Line is thee most used line in the system (point blank). (5) shares w/ the (2) so the busy (4)(6) lines are the only options. Plus the R62A's aren't that bad I can only imagine what it's like when it finished SMS.

the R142s are alot bigger when you add it all up, thats why they got them. way more standing room more sitting room, and lets not start on the almost dead PAs on most of them R62a and no more automated next stops or anything, thats not rite for us in the areas where we had nothing like the Bronx now we come back with new stations new cars and now they say lets give queens them and give the bronx and manhatten the old cars, and if they are good for another 10 years at the most because it is 2012 now and by time they come back it will be 2016 2017 so that gives use only 6 years of operating time Edited by chrisliz09

Oh good lord, enough with the complaining. Be grateful you even have trains that runs as frequently as it does. I'd rather deal with older trains if service is frequent over infrequent service with fairly newer trains.

So if the R62As are all coming over by 2016, then that's still 4 more years with the R142As. And when it comes time to retire the R62As, there will be new trains for the (6). The (7) is getting refurbished R142As along with the R188s, so it's not exactly like the (7) is getting a totally brand new fleet.

Guest Lance

Pelham riders are just going to have to deal with the R62As. If they don't like it, there's always the bus option available for them. Or they could drive into Manhattan. Either way, Flushing is getting CBTC and the only way that's going to happen short of spending a fortune upgrading the R62As to be CBTC-compatible is by taking the R142As off Pelham (and possibly Jerome [but that's another story]). Replacing an entire fleet that's nowhere near retirement age with new cars is not an option for reasons that should be obvious. Also, let's stop painting the R62As as the IRT equivalent to the R32s when it's not even a close comparison. So what if there aren't any automated announcements on the R62As. Last I checked, they aren't on the R32s, R42s, R46s, R68s or R68As either. Most riders still seem to know where their train is going though. Sure, we do have our share of moronic imbeciles who couldn't tell if the train's heading downtown unless it was specifically spelled out for them, but you know what? They'll figure it out soon enough. And if they don't, well that's on them.

Pelham riders are just going to have to deal with the R62As. If they don't like it, there's always the bus option available for them. Or they could drive into Manhattan. Either way, Flushing is getting CBTC and the only way that's going to happen short of spending a fortune upgrading the R62As to be CBTC-compatible is by taking the R142As off Pelham (and possibly Jerome [but that's another story]). Replacing an entire fleet that's nowhere near retirement age with new cars is not an option for reasons that should be obvious.

I always thought in fairness, the (4) should have gotten the 62A's. In fact, as the NTT deliveries were coming in, I figured since, the (4) got the 62's, along with (1)(3) and half of the (6), while the (2)(5)(7) and other half of the (6) had only rebuilds (redbirds). Some of the lines stuck with the redbirds got the NTT's, while the (1)(3) were passed up this time. But the (4) always got the new, and the (7) got handmedowns. The (7) should have just gotten the NTT's directly, and the (4) then just keep it's last generation cars like the (1) and (3).

So even though the (6) got from both orders, it still seemed unfair for it to give up its new cars and the (4) keep all of its. I guess because that's the premiere line of the IRT, and would have to get the bright new cars (over the previous generation which by that time looked dull and dim).

I wished they would have spruced the cars up, perhaps with new lighting (and maybe stuff like the announcements and other NTT stuff; @Grand Concourse, and also remove the small cabs to free up the space), then that would justify putting them on the showcase line.

Edited by Eric B

4-5 more people per car is alot in the middle of rush hours

I can tell you right now that the way people fit into the cars standing, each corner cab of an R62A single isn't going to fit more than 1-2 people...

And no, 2-4 people per subway car isn't making much of a difference. Especially when you're only dealing with 6 cars in the set with corner cabs.

I can tell you right now that the way people fit into the cars standing, each corner cab of an R62A single isn't going to fit more than 1-2 people...

And no, 2-4 people per subway car isn't making much of a difference. Especially when you're only dealing with 6 cars in the set with corner cabs.

only 6? its two cab rooms per car isnt it and that room is if im rite 4.5 feet by 4 feet thats alot of space with a ten car conses

I always thought in fairness, the (4) should have gotten the 62A's. In fact, as the NTT deliveries were coming in, I figured since, the (4) got the 62's, along with (1)(3) and half of the (6), while the (2)(5)(7) and other half of the (6) had only rebuilds (redbirds). Some of the lines stuck with the redbirds got the NTT's, while the (1)(3) were passed up this time. But the (4) always got the new, and the (7) got handmedowns. The (7) should have just gotten the NTT's directly, and the (4) then just keep it's last generation cars like the (1) and (3).

So even though the (6) got from both orders, it still seemed unfair for it to give up its new cars and the (4) keep all of its. I guess because that's the premiere line of the IRT, and would have to get the bright new cars (over the previous generation which by that time looked dull and dim).

I wished they would have spruced the cars up, perhaps with new lighting (and maybe stuff like the announcements and other NTT stuff; @Grand Concourse, and also remove the small cabs to free up the space), then that would justify putting them on the showcase line.

Stop complaining on the 6 getting its R62As back its about time to and in case you dont know the 4 ran R62s not R62As besides the 6 will get all its R62As the way it left them but refurbished and when the R62As start retirement in 2027 then the 6 will get new cars but people never complained on the R62As before so why complain now R62As best subway cars made iv always ridden them on the 1,3,6 lines and cant wait till the (6) gets them back. The 7 wont get a new fleet of cars all R142As from the 6 will be refurbished if you dont like the (6) getting its R62As back then deal with it mean while all of us who like R62As will enjoy them on the 6 again.In case you dont know the (6) will get its R62As back end of this year-2014.the 7 will get its R188s this year to 2014 flushing wont optimize cbtc til 2015.

Edited by junjun798

only 6? its two cab rooms per car isnt it and that room is if im rite 4.5 feet by 4 feet thats alot of space with a ten car conses

well, 4 cars out of ten will have full width cabs, so they don't count to begin with. and no, even if they are that size, the way people fail to utilize standing space negates most of the added capacity gained from removing the half width cabs.

the R142s are alot bigger when you add it all up, thats why they got them. way more standing room more sitting room, and lets not start on the almost dead PAs on most of them R62a and no more automated next stops or anything, thats not rite for us in the areas where we had nothing like the Bronx now we come back with new stations new cars and now they say lets give queens them and give the bronx and manhatten the old cars, and if they are good for another 10 years at the most because it is 2012 now and by time they come back it will be 2016 2017 so that gives use only 6 years of operating time

R142 and R62A has basically the same capacity. And why do you even care about what runs on what you had a problem when West Farm got back the RTS's and you said they suck and breakdown. Are we suppose to feel sorry for you? :huh:

You shouldn't care what they get as long as it gets you from point A to point B.

Basically my point from the start. It's all about getting from point a to b regardless of what takes you there.

Stop complaining on the 6 getting its R62As back its about time to and in case you dont know the 4 ran R62s not R62As besides the 6 will get all its R62As the way it left them but refurbished and when the R62As start retirement in 2027 then the 6 will get new cars but people never complained on the R62As before so why complain now R62As best subway cars made iv always ridden them on the 1,3,6 lines and cant wait till the (6) gets them back. The 7 wont get a new fleet of cars all R142As from the 6 will be refurbished if you dont like the (6) getting its R62As back then deal with it mean while all of us who like R62As will enjoy them on the 6 again.In case you dont know the (6) will get its R62As back end of this year-2014.the 7 will get its R188s this year to 2014 flushing wont optimize cbtc til 2015.

I think you are directing your comments at the wrong person. He hasn't gone on and on about being against the R62As being moved back.

Thank you. I was just making a comment, as a distant observer. I don't even use those lines in their exclusive regions that often, so it doesn't practically matte to me. I just remember being on the (2)(5) when the 62A's and MK redbird rehabs were coming out; and the (1) and (4) had their new cars, and I figured the (2) would get them next, for balance (especially after seeing the first 2000's @180th signed up as (2)), but the (3) got them instead. So I figured the next generation would be for the lines skipped over in that generation. The (6) was half and half, but the (4) it seems now always gets what's new (I know it had 62's, but was basically treating 62 and 62A as the same "generation", and almost the same class). I could understand why, as that seems to be the primary line of the IRT, sort of like what the (A) used to be for the IND.

I see what you are saying here but the (4) is arguably the most important Lex line so it makes sense that they got the NTT's instead of staying with the R62's. That's how I see it in my opinion....

Well I don't think she would fit in those bucket seats. :wink:

Oh I see what you and LTA did there lol. But I rather have her stand. Much better view ;)

I see what you are saying here but the (4) is arguably the most important Lex line so it makes sense that they got the NTT's instead of staying with the R62's. That's how I see it in my opinion....

I agree with you 100% about the (4).

To add to this, as much as I don't want to see R62A's go back on the (6), if those R62A's are gonna go anywhere on the Mainline, it makes sense for them to go back to the (6) because of the circle and the diamond.

Thank you. I was just making a comment, as a distant observer. I don't even use those lines in their exclusive regions that often, so it doesn't practically matte to me. I just remember being on the (2)(5) when the 62A's and MK redbird rehabs were coming out; and the (1) and (4) had their new cars, and I figured the (2) would get them next, for balance (especially after seeing the first 2000's @180th signed up as (2)), but the (3) got them instead. So I figured the next generation would be for the lines skipped over in that generation. The (6) was half and half, but the (4) it seems now always gets what's new (I know it had 62's, but was basically treating 62 and 62A as the same "generation", and almost the same class). I could understand why, as that seems to be the primary line of the IRT, sort of like what the (A) used to be for the IND.

Maybe even back then, the TA wanted the (2) and (5) to have the same cars for flexibilityat Flatbush Avenue, so the (2) got passed over for R62As, even after they were tested there.

They almost never swapped them, back then in the 80's. A it was, the (5) still had non GOH 33's, and never got redbirds until the 33's were converted, and then, while one might pop up on the (2) (along with the roving R36 sets later), the (2) equipment seemingly NEVER popped up on the (5). I remember before then, the time I saw a MK set arrive at Franklin signed as (5) in the front, and I said "about time", but it was really a (6) sent out to fill a delay. I had never even seen a MK rebuild from the (2) on the (5). That's how strictly the followed the assignments back then. Even after the 33's were turned into redbirds. I think it was when they began swapping the assignments around (the (2) got the 33's, and the (5) got the MK's), that they began getting looser with the assignments, and they would swap them more.

So that can't be why they didn;t get 62's, and the (3) and (4) were the same, with the (4) strictly 62's, and the (3) strictly 62A's, again, until they began switching them around in the new millennium.