R188 Discussion Thread

East New York

I still prefer the simple option though. The R142/142As (350 sets) have the (4) strip maps. The former R62As from the (3) and (6) were moved to the (7) to retire the remaining Redbirds there. Those LED lights will work just fine with the (6) and <6>. To see the (MTA) installing new strip maps for the (6) and <6> on the (4)'s R142/142As is a waste of investment if they were to please the angry Upper East Side and Pelham riders who ride the (6) that want their clear announcements and shiny/brighter interiors to stay permanent. At least they'll just put up with it until the R62As retire but of course, this agency is the "(MTA)" and we know how they are.....though luck.... <_<

All of those stripmaps on the R142/As are interchangeable with one another. If you was to remove the stripmaps, you would see they all have the same number of dots (along with the arrows) all in the same location; just certain dots line up when it's on a certain line

Biggest example...look at how when the (2) train is using the (5) train cars and the stripmap isn't turned off. You still see extra dots lit up within the "gaps" on the (5) stripmap.

Point is, its just a simple overlay they can take out whenever needed.

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One problem with that: there aren't enough 142As on the 4 for the 6 to keep its 142As.

Thing is, I could see them putting Jerome's 142s on the 6 because of the signage issue and the 62As on the 4 instead. Especially with the 6's short recovery times. Either way, someone's getting the older cars. Plain and simple.

And that's just what I was going to say. There are jobs on the (6) where I've started at Parkchester and ended at Pelham so one of my trips started at Parkchester but when I got to Brooklyn Bridge, I would then go to Pelham Bay Park going uptown. That would require rollsigns changing too.

So then I guess this is goodbye to the R142/142As on the (4) (I was hoping my line stay 100% NTTs and let the (6) get the R62As)...even my dad wouldn't be pleased to see the (4) OTTs AGAIN....TBH I really hate this (MTA) R142A/188 swap thing as I really prefer for the (6) to stay R142As and the (7) R62As...I really wish they never had all this CBTC thing planned out for the (7)<7> and waited for the R62As to retire first... :angry:<_<:unsure::(

Edited by RollOverMyHead

What's the reason of why the (7)<7> were choosen for CBTC this early anyway? Yes, I know its isolated like the (L) and CBTC can only handle new trains that are NTTs. But does it have anything to do with funding problems or other issues? I really don't know...since there's nothing wrong with the R62/62As...

Edited by RollOverMyHead

What's the reason of why the (7)<7> were choosen for CBTC this early anyway? Yes, I know its isolated like the (L) and CBTC can only handle new trains that are NTTs. But does it have anything to do with funding problems or other issues? I really don't know...since there's nothing wrong with the R62/62As...

Both the 7 and the L get a lot of riders, so that, as well as the fact that both lines are isolated from the rest of the system, is why they were done/are being done first. Remember that after Flushing gets CBTC, Queens Blvd is supposed to be next. If CBTC placement was solely based on how isolated the lines are from each other, Crosstown would likely be next.

My question: what's really that special about the (6) line that will make people complain? I mean, I know that it serves the Upper East Side and that neighborhood has a reputation, but it's still just one neighborhood. It's not like there aren't other rich neighborhoods served by R62As.

It's just normal BS is all. Local politicians in the affected areas the 6 runs through would likely make a stink about their constituents getting "older" cars, regardless of the fact that the 62s are perfectly fine. Of course, it's not like they're about to pony up money for the early retirement of the 62s in the first place, so all it'd amount to is blowing hot air out of their asses. Like I (and several others) have said many times in this thread, when the 62A/142A switch happens in the coming months/years, someone's going to bitch and moan about it. They'll still ride the trains though because they still have to get to work.

The 7 was chosen because it is an isolated line. Isolated lines mean you have to convert fewer cars. The next line is Queens Boulevard. To get QB done, well over 1000 cars will need CBTC to be added- every train on the E F M and R. And the F alone has over 500 cars including spares. You can see why the 7 is easier...

Nothing is wrong with the R62/As. They will continue to run on the 1 3 6 and S.

It's just normal BS is all. Local politicians in the affected areas the 6 runs through would likely make a stink about their constituents getting "older" cars, regardless of the fact that the 62s are perfectly fine. Of course, it's not like they're about to pony up money for the early retirement of the 62s in the first place, so all it'd amount to is blowing hot air out of their asses. Like I (and several others) have said many times in this thread, when the 62A/142A switch happens in the coming months/years, someone's going to bitch and moan about it. They'll still ride the trains though because they still have to get to work.

I agree with you...I understand why people would complain. I just didn't understand why the (6) line would get special treatment (I don't think it will).

My Two Bits:

While yes for the (6)<6> it would involve changing rollsigns, but take a look at the (Z). They don't change the (Z) rollsigns to say "Chauncey St", or "Broadway Junction" on them. If you start at Parkchester, but are going south, you can just leave the rollsign saying "Pelham Bay Park". Because I highly doubt anybody at Parkchester gives a damn if their train started at Pelham or not, as long as it has the (6)<6> designations.

My Two Bits:

While yes for the (6)<6> it would involve changing rollsigns, but take a look at the (Z). They don't change the (Z) rollsigns to say "Chauncey St", or "Broadway Junction" on them. If you start at Parkchester, but are going south, you can just leave the rollsign saying "Pelham Bay Park". Because I highly doubt anybody at Parkchester gives a damn if their train started at Pelham or not, as long as it has the (6)<6> designations.

It's just not correct, but you are right.

Keep in mind that there will only be 220 R142As left while the rest are being converted into R188s. Jerome's R142/142As may end up at Westchester in exchange for Corona's 380 R62As with the LED lights yanked out for good and new (6) strip maps intalled for Jerome's former R142/142As. Since the (4) requires 35 trains and the (6) requires 40 trains, I can picture the (4) using 350 R62As 100% and the (6) using 240 R142s and 160 R142As. (4) riders will be pissed and yes the (4) is my home line in Brooklyn but what can we do? This is public transportation and of course this is the (MTA),......oh well.................. <_<<_<<_<

Edited by RollOverMyHead

(4) riders will be pissed and yes the (4) is my home line in Brooklyn but what can we do? This is public transportation and of course this is the (MTA),......oh well.................. <_<<_<<_<

The (4) riders will have to deal with it, as has been said before. They can be glad that they're not getting the vandalized rickety trains of the 70s and 80s.

I can't say I'm fond of the idea of the R62As leaving the (7), due to the lack of railfan window on the 188s, but I understand why it needs to be done and I can't do anything about it anyway.

The (4) riders will have to deal with it, as has been said before. They can be glad that they're not getting the vandalized rickety trains of the 70s and 80s.

I can't say I'm fond of the idea of the R62As leaving the (7), due to the lack of railfan window on the 188s, but I understand why it needs to be done and I can't do anything about it anyway.

Just be happy the (MTA) isn't the PA and PATH. Otherwise you'd be staring at a solid silver bulkhead door instead of one with a tinted cab window....

So then I guess this is goodbye to the R142/142As on the (4) (I was hoping my line stay 100% NTTs and let the (6) get the R62As)...even my dad wouldn't be pleased to see the (4) OTTs AGAIN....TBH I really hate this (MTA) R142A/188 swap thing as I really prefer for the (6) to stay R142As and the (7) R62As...I really wish they never had all this CBTC thing planned out for the (7)<7> and waited for the R62As to retire first... :angry:<_<:unsure::(

I'm not saying that this is going to happen. This is just one scenario. Again the one thing that seems to be getting lost in all of this is that NOTHING is confirmed other than the very, very good chance that they will be on the Lex Ave Line again. That's all.

Meh... I still don't see the (4) Being 100% R62A... There was a rumor a while back that the MTA wanted the lex expresses ( the (4) and (5) ) to stay NTT... IMO, It's most likey the (6) getting them... Unlike some people here, I'm willing to wait and see... Just my two cents...

I'll wait and see, but I'm just trying to figure out what makes the most sense. Here's what would make sense IMO:

If the R62As go to the (4):

Jerome Av Yard: 424 R62As

Pelham Yard: 250 R142s, 210 R142As (460 total)

239 St Yard: 400 R142s

If the R62As go to the (6):

Jerome Av Yard: 250 R142s, 160 R142As (410 total)

Pelham Yard: 424 R62As, 50 R142As (474 total)

Current assignments:

Jerome Av Yard: 270 R142s, 140 R142As (410 total)

Pelham Yard: 450 R142As

239 St Yard: 380 R142s

I remember reading somewhere that the MTA said they were going to buy extra cars to increase service on the 7 Avenue IRT, so I'm guessing that they're referring to the R188s displacing R142s to the (2) line. Since that would make sense, I included it in this post.

Edited by TheSubwayStation

I'll wait and see, but I'm just trying to figure out what makes the most sense. Here's what would make sense IMO:

If the R62As go to the (4):

Jerome Av Yard: 424 R62As

Pelham Yard: 250 R142s, 210 R142As (460 total)

If the R62As go to the (6):

Jerome Av Yard: 250 R142s, 160 R142As (410 total)

Pelham Yard: 424 R62As, 50 R142As (474 total)

But Westchester (not Pelham) Yard wouldn't even need the R142As anymore. Maintaining a small number of a car fleet would cost no benefit...Those R142As may have to go join the rest of the fleet at Jerome...

But Westchester (not Pelham) Yard wouldn't even need the R142As anymore. Maintaining a small number of a car fleet would cost no benefit...Those R142As may have to go join the rest of the fleet at Jerome...

Westchester/Pelham Yard (both names are used) can't have a spare factor of only two trains, I'm pretty sure. Remember that the (6) uses 400 trains at rush hour. Edited by TheSubwayStation

A little something I noticed throughout this thread, im pretty sure others noticed it as well...

People would throw out their own ideas, disregard others ideas, then say they will "wait and see"...sometimes all within a single post.

...I don't quite see the logic behind that

A little something I noticed throughout this thread, im pretty sure others noticed it as well...

People would throw out their own ideas, disregard others ideas, then say they will "wait and see"...sometimes all within a single post.

...I don't quite see the logic behind that

I see what you're saying...But I didn't want to try to predict anything, which was why I said "wait and see". I just was intending to say in basic terms what would make sense for the different possibilities for where the R62As went. Then, I got into the whole business with the R142s going to the (2), which made it sound like yet another proposal (which I wasn't originally intending). That was my fault.

Of course, I don't even know if your post was directed at me...

I see what you're saying...But I didn't want to try to predict anything, which was why I said "wait and see". I just was intending to say in basic terms what would make sense for the different possibilities for where the R62As went. Then, I got into the whole business with the R142s going to the (2), which made it sound like yet another proposal (which I wasn't originally intending). That was my fault.

Of course, I don't even know if your post was directed at me...

I was speaking in general...

I like how there's still the assumption that the car shuffle will only involve 2 lines. There's always the high possibility of 3 or more involved to get the right amount of cars. First, we still have to see the arrival of the first C-car.

I wanna see how much more frequent the 7 will run under cbtc. It's going to be the first IRT line operating under cbtc. It's gonna also potentially increase the frequency of an already frequent line.

But I think it's because R62As are going thru SMS?* and thus the (1) borrowing some R62s from the (3)

*not 100% sure

That's about right. There are train sets from the (1) on the (7) right now because the (7)'s R62A's are getting SMSed and to fill in the gap, there is at least one train set from the (3) on the (1) as we speak.