Fleet Swap Discussion Thread

INDman

• Replies 8.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No sms happens every 10-25. on the R32s case it happened twice.

False. SMS is a 5-7 year cycle, depending on part life. You are referring to GOH, which only happened once, and will only happy once because of the major state of disrepair of the fleet in the 70s and 80s. SMS replaced the GOH program so that the cars would never deteriorate to the state of condition that requires a general overhaul.

Some Good News for you R42 Fans, the TA decided not to go with the plan on retiring the R42's this year, also the summer swaps will going on every summer until the R179's arrive, also the (Base order R160A-1's) will undergo SMS (8313-8652) so this might be intresting and THEY will not use the R143's for the (J)/(M) so ENY might need all of thier R42's for the summer and its still possible that the R32's MIGHT still go to ENY as spares just incase an R42 crap out

The 32 & 42 going back to the (A) is not good news for me.

The 32 & 42 going back to the (A) is not good news for me.

I got to get as many R32 (A) rides as possible. Might RFW the entire 207-Far Rock or Rock Park route, and maybe Lefferts (if most or all of them go there instead of the Rocks). Last year I only did an RFW on the express from 207-Fulton and from Euclid-125. The R46 will still be here anyway and the R32s are my all time favorite cars. I do understand its suck standing on such a longer route on an older 10-car married train with only seat availability for the operator and not also the conductor.

Since the R160s from the (J) are getting sms this summer east ny yard is gonna need all 50 R42s that they have so there likely wont be any R42s on the (A) this summer.

Sounds so true, since the (A) runs 36 trains at rush hour (formerly 38). But aren't 38 trains enough to maintain the amount of headways the (A) runs during rush hour?

One summer eavning, operating a 42 I look at the cab door and see roaches crawling up the door. Look down they were everywhere. I say put dynamite in those cars and blow them to ash.

WTF? the trains have that many of them too? I thought only buses had that many (they hang out in the engine compartment)...

I already do 52 local one way 3 times and 1 express 29 stops all to Howard Beach 5 days a week. 

59 Local to the rock, 36 express whenever they go back. ughhh

Put all the 32's on the (J) let them stay outside and use the 160's on the (C)

THANK YOU!!! I've been saying that for the LONGEST, its smarter to put em on the (J) in the summer, 8 Car R160A1's will save time and money since its 8 cars and there wouldn't be a need for swicth crews

Btw they shouldn't keep the (C) 8 cars.

R32s shouldn't be on (C), I do agreed with R32 3838 also all R42s should be moved to (C)

(C) was going to have 600 foot trains, but the circumstances surrounding the R44s pretty much killed that plan all together. The original plan was for the R160s to replace all of the 60 foot cars. The R44s and R46s would rule the (A) and (C) until being replaced down the road. 

Btw they shouldn't keep the (C) 8 cars.

R32s shouldn't be on (C), I do agreed with R32 3838 also all R42s should be moved to (C)

That cant happen unless 207st yard swaps 5 sets of R32s send them to the (J) and east ny yard sends over their R42s to the (C) wich is better for the R42s so that they can last longer and they wont be exposed to the williamsburg bridges salt water anymore and 207st yard will maintain them good. R32s belong on the (C) they have been there for alot of their lives so if you dont like it wait for the R179s to replace it.

Edited by R62AR33

Guest Lance

THANK YOU!!! I've been saying that for the LONGEST, its smarter to put em on the (J) in the summer, 8 Car R160A1's will save time and money since its 8 cars and there wouldn't be a need for swicth crews

I could be wrong, but 207th can't maintain the A1s, right? I'm pretty sure East New York can work with the 32s, but if the 160s were put on the C, the cars would have to be brought back and forth in order to be serviced.