Fleet Swap Discussion Thread

INDman

they actually pull two trains from the (B) because the (B) requires two less trains

during the evening rush IMO the crew are making bad moves if there pulling trains off the (C) during the evening rush the (C) needs extra trains as it is

If you look at this page...

http://thejoekorner.com/carassignments/index.html

you will quite clearly see that there is 1 R68A and 1 R32 on the (A) in the evening. The second train from the (B) just doesn't go out.

There is only ever a maximum of 162 R32s in service, out of 222 active. There's nothing that would prevent the (A) getting its R32 and the (C) getting more trains except for reliability concerns.

• Replies 8.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well!!!!

As it turns out I was dead wrong. The fact that the R46s were running on the (C) at the time had completely, 100% slipped my mind. My mistake!

With that in mind, it's likely that Pitkin was responsible for the dispatch on the (C) and part of the (A), with 207th providing the rest of trains. As for why the swap failed, it's possible that they felt the amount of time that the (A) spends outside is still quite low, compared to, say, the (J).

Oh. No problem.

you will quite clearly see that there is 1 R68A and 1 R32 on the (A) in the evening. The second train from the (B) just doesn't go out.

There is only ever a maximum of 162 R32s in service, out of 222 active. There's nothing that would prevent the (A) getting its R32 and the (C) getting more trains except for reliability concerns.

Okay seems clear they finally updated the fleet assignment thing okay so you think this summer swap won't be the end of the R32 (A) put-ins?

Okay seems clear they finally updated the fleet assignment thing okay so you think this summer swap won't be the end of the R32 (A) put-ins?

The R32 (A) put ins have been going on since last year. The swaps have occured, ended and then occurred again (this time there are some R32s staying on the (J) forever), and the same service pattern has remained consistent.

The R32 (A) put ins have been going on since last year. The swaps have occured, ended and then occurred again (this time there are some R32s staying on the (J) forever), and the same service pattern has remained consistent.

some R32s are going to stay on the (J) until there retirement but how many NTTS will be on the (C) at the end of the summer will it be 50% R32/R160

some R32s are going to stay on the (J) until there retirement but how many NTTS will be on the (C) at the end of the summer will it be 50% R32/R160

Well the swap has been said to be permanent. The current 14 out of the 27 eight-car R32 trains are likely staying at ENY. But of course, things can change at the end.

As for why the swap failed, it's possible that they felt the amount of time that the (A) spends outside is still quite low, compared to, say, the (J).

True. And for all the other reasons that both SubwayGuy and I stated.

Edited by RollOver

Well the swap has been said to be permanent. The current 14 out of the 27 eight-car R32 trains are likely staying at ENY. But of course, things can change at the end

They are staying at ENY the crew at 207st yard is qualified for R160's ENY is doing the maintenance on the most of the R32s now

Along with the A not being outside long enough to merit having the 32s on that line, it was also not a direct 1-to-1 swap like the current 32/A1 swap is. A few sets of 42s from East New York had to be put on the A along with the 32s from 207th Street. The A still required 38 trains for the rush hours and the shift of 46s to the C reduced the overall number of trains available for service.

The underground express portion of the line also probably didn't do much to help relieve the 32s' aging air units I guess. Another thing is that the off-peak 9 trains per hour frequency (west of Rockaway Blvd), including the higher rush hour frequencies in general, is/was too frequent for them to be cranking the signs from Lefferts to Far Rock or from Far Rock to Lefferts. The R46s' electric side signages are easier.

There weren't enough R32s to cover half of the (A) 's fleet anyway, so of course half of the 50 R42s from ENY had to run on the line or 3 extra trainsets of R46s from Jamaica or even Pitkin itself, which was a bad idea because it slightly lowered the number of trains needed for spares.

These are all the reasons why they stop doing the (A) / (C) swap permanently.

Edited by RollOver

All I know is that I love catching those R32s and R42s at Night on the Jamaica/Nassau Line. Those R32s can go on another 10-12 years if they aty put as they are now. My only hope is that they will gain some sort of reprieve after 2016 and still be active even after the R179s come around. Those cars from the 1960s are sooooo damn durable its not even funny. Not to mention it will likely save the MTA some money. 

All I know is that I love catching those R32s and R42s at Night on the Jamaica/Nassau Line. Those R32s can go on another 10-12 years if they aty put as they are now. My only hope is that they will gain some sort of reprieve after 2016 and still be active even after the R179s come around. Those cars from the 1960s are sooooo damn durable its not even funny. Not to mention it will likely save the MTA some money. 

Those R42s are leaving first , iv seen that alot of them are being held by duct tape. You won't see those R32s retiring until the R179s pass its testing and they make sure that no issues will come , im sure they don't wanna make the same mistakes as they did before when they went scrap happy with those R38s and the R40/Ms as well as those R32s and R42s that are already retired. With the R179 delayed by 6 months to a year don't be surprised if they stay till 2018 or even longer. Its a wait and see type of game.

Edited by R62AR33

The way the 68/68A (B) put in works is that the set runs one round trip in the morning (starting from the Bronx), terminates at 145th, and then lays up at 207 yard until the evening, when it's brought out for the 6:47 pm Far Rock trip. It then turns at Far Rock for the 8:42 trip back to 207th, where it is taken out of service and relayed back to Concourse for the night.

It's Far Rock only now?

Yes. It's been like that for a while actually.

The 32 set is the one to Lefferts.

Speaking of which...:

Vid description:

"A single R32 set runs on the A train during the PM rush hour. It enters service as the 5:04 PM put-in @ Dyckman Street to Lefferts Boulevard. Once at Lefferts, it turns as the 6:31 train back to 207th. I believe it runs one (maybe two) more round trip(s) after that. Had another great T/O for this run in addition to a wonderfully operating R32 3615 (no dead motors, fully dynamic braking, very smooth ride), so enjoy the ride =)"

Edited by Fan Railer

Based on the video which is nice, had a T/O who doesn't operate the (A) often because they braked too early on the fastest spots for the (A) and thats flying in 42nd, 14th, and very rarely T/O's brake for that timer by Franklin Av.

It was still a very good ride. Might have braked a bit early in some spots, but we still topped low 40s speed wise. Some T/Os just prefer to operate with a larger margin for brake error in case it happens (guy was talking about how dynamics cut out on him before once we terminated at Lefferts). Trust me when I say the ride could be a LOT worse. *cough* R68A A last Tuesday *cough*