Fleet Swap Discussion Thread

INDman

• Replies 8.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The thing is the R32s work soooo much better out of ENY than they do anywhere else. 

Not for nothing, those R32/R42s are on a roll at NIGHT!!!!! I hate the R160s on the (J) Line (just because I know that I can catch an R42 or R32 on the Jamaica Line, lol)

The thing is the R32s work soooo much better out of ENY than they do anywhere else.

Not for nothing, those R32/R42s are on a roll at NIGHT!!!!! I hate the R160s on the (J) Line (just because I know that I can catch an R42 or R32 on the Jamaica Line, lol)

Don't know what to tell you then, since ENY is keeping a few 160s on the (J).

Unless you actually work for the (MTA), and therefore, have more experience about the inner workings within the agency itself, you really shouldn't speculate about railcar maintenance and inspection. The R32s and R42s still have the highest breakdown rates according to the recent MDBF data than all other cars in the system anyway. It doesn't matter what lines they run on, because of their age. They'll always have problems no matter where they go.

...and speaking of East New York's shop facility, I still wonder how are they able to handle four different car types (R32, R42, R143 and R160)...Outside of this current swap, I think East New York should have handled the R143s and R160s as the primary fleet and the R42s as the minor. Meaning that they should have just use the R42s as put-ins and limited runs during rush hours only, so that way they're aren't needed for maintenance and inspection if they were to run at all times. But I guess that is what they did even before this swap came to existence, as I almost never caught an R42 during the off-peak.

Edited by RollOver

Unless you actually work for the (MTA), and therefore, have more experience about the inner workings within the agency itself, you really shouldn't speculate about railcar maintenance and inspection. The R32s and R42s still have the highest breakdown rates according to the recent MDBF data than all other cars in the system anyway. It doesn't matter what lines they run on, because of their age. They'll always have problems no matter where they go.

...and speaking of East New York's shop facility, I still wonder how are they able to handle four different car types (R32, R42, R143 and R160)...Outside of this current swap, I think East New York should have handled the R143s and R160s as the primary fleet and the R42s as the minor. Meaning that they should have just use the R42s as put-ins and limited runs during rush hours only, so that way they're aren't needed for maintenance and inspection if they were to run at all times. But I guess that is what they did even before this swap came to existence, as I almost never caught an R42 during the off-peak.

Lots of shops handle multiple car types. Take a look at Coney Island, it serves the fleets of the (B), (D), (F), (G), (N), (R), (Q), and (S). That's R46, R68, R68A, R160 Alstom and R160 Siemens.

Restricting the R42s to put ins and rush hour service would not have helped prevent the need for maintenance - all subway cars require maintenance, be they 1 day or 100 years old. If they ran the R42s as you proposed and avoided doing maintenance on them, it would just cause far more breakdowns during the rush hour periods.

Lots of shops handle multiple car types. Take a look at Coney Island, it serves the fleets of the (B), (D), (F), (G), (N), (R), (Q), and (S). That's R46, R68, R68A, R160 Alstom and R160 Siemens.

Restricting the R42s to put ins and rush hour service would not have helped prevent the need for maintenance - all subway cars require maintenance, be they 1 day or 100 years old. If they ran the R42s as you proposed and avoided doing maintenance on them, it would just cause far more breakdowns during the rush hour periods.

1) I thought Coney Island's shop facility only maintains and inspect the cars on the (B), (G), (N), (Q) and the (S) Franklin Avenue Shuttle (R68, R68A and R160); the (D), (F) and (R) cars are just stored in the yard. It's Coney Island's overhaul facility that actually handles any cars.

2) You're right, so I was wrong to propose that.

1) I thought Coney Island's shop facility only maintains and inspect the cars on the (B), (G), (N), (Q) and the (S) Franklin Avenue Shuttle (R68, R68A and R160); the (D), (F) and (R) cars are just stored in the yard. It's Coney Island's overhaul facility that actually handles any cars.

I don't know the details of the arrangement, I was just going by what nycsubway.org said.

However, the R160 Alstom and R160 Siemens are quite different, so even if the (D), (F), and (R) cars weren't maintained at the yard, it would still be 4 train types.

Edited by ttcsubwayfan

No He's right, the R32's does better on the (J), but since the R32 fleet is split now, they both have been improving and its a balanced out now, i can't speak for the R42's because a few nights ago i rode one at 2am and the head car had no A/C, and some of them are really raggety, but for the past week, theres been a about 6 r160's on the (J) during the overnight, the reason why it seems likes theres less R32's is because of the spares, its a cycle, when alot of R160's needs work, you'll see more R32's, if alot of R32's need work you'll see more r160's, ENY has plenty of spares for both classes esp. for the (J) and (Z) so they're good

CI only handles the (B),(G),(N),(Q) and (S), the (D) and (F) only uses the yard for storage, and CI Overhaul shop, handles any type of Subway car for Heavy Work

I rode a couple of R32s with dead A/C to I wonder if that is a problem that the R160s are going to suffer through in the future but they can always put the R32 cars with dead A/C in the middle I've also heard that the R42s have a roach problem

Edited by R3216068E

Where the hell have you been? The remaining 42s have been on the J for years now.

Wait, I thought R38's were on the Jamica Line!

My mistake I got the fleet confused, I thought that the R38's were the ones with the fat body while the R42's were similar to the R32's.

Edited by Javier

No He's right, the R32's does better on the (J), but since the R32 fleet is split now, they both have been improving and its a balanced out now, i can't speak for the R42's because a few nights ago i rode one at 2am and the head car had no A/C, and some of them are really raggety, but for the past week, theres been a about 6 r160's on the (J) during the overnight, the reason why it seems likes theres less R32's is because of the spares, its a cycle, when alot of R160's needs work, you'll see more R32's, if alot of R32's need work you'll see more r160's, ENY has plenty of spares for both classes esp. for the (J) and (Z) so they're good

Yeah I get it...you and him say that they do 'better' on the (J) only because of air-conditioning and it's an even swap...And I doubt we would see anymore R160s on the (J) since it already has a total of 14 trainsets of R32s and 6 trainsets of R42s, meaning that's 85-90% SMEEs. You are correct about the spare ratio though. Because from what I've noticed that off-peak (J) service only runs about 12-14 trainsets instead of 20 trainsets, meaning that's about a mixed fleet of R32s, R42s and R160s. And yes, I've counted about 4-5 sets of R32s during the off-peak and the rest being R42s and R160s. Numerous times.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Also the R143's will be a regular on the (J) and (Z) so eny is basically running anything on the J/Z lines to balance out the mileage

There's supposed to be a go on the (M) for structural work and the NTT's are to heavy but I don't think the (M) will be 100%, maybe about six sets or more, but this could be all subject to change

Also the R143's will be a regular on the (J) and (Z) so eny is basically running anything on the J/Z lines to balance out the mileage

There's supposed to be a go on the (M) for structural work and the NTT's are to heavy but I don't think the (M) will be 100%, maybe about six sets or more, but this could be all subject to change

And all thanks to a vandalized R32 within ENY yard. Wait, R143's can operate on non-CBTC lines?