MCIs and Prevosts and MTA orders

Via Garibaldi 8

So does MCI have anything in the works other than what they've been producing recently? For some reason, I have it in my head that there was some hybrid version being worked on by somebody or something that was more fuel conscious.

New Jersey Transit has like 4 hybrid MCIs already

Is ABC/Van Hool ever going to give it a shot with the MTA? I've been on the Academy (I don't know if they were ex-Atlantic or original Academy, didn't catch bus #) Van Hools and they certainly were a pleasant, smooth ride.

Is ABC/Van Hool ever going to give it a shot with the MTA? I've been on the Academy (I don't know if they were ex-Atlantic or original Academy, didn't catch bus #) Van Hools and they certainly were a pleasant, smooth ride.

I would assume that vanhool is in the same boat that nabi was regarding selling buses to the MTA. They want nothing to do with us...

Van Hool did give it a shot with that double decker bus we demo'd. That didn't work out all too good and they took the bus from us

I remember hearing about that way back when. I wish it was possible to find out more info about what actually happened with that test...

Those 2200 MCI's are great buses, I got my first ride on one yesterday. Nice and smooth, although it was noticeably slower at takeoff (like Cait Sith stated) compared to one of the older MCI's I've ridden. They have smooth rides though, and the seats were pretty comfortable. It was a pretty smooth ride for the most part..

I remember hearing about that way back when. I wish it was possible to find out more info about what actually happened with that test...

I heard multiple things, but the reasons I heard the most are...

-Too tall for most depots (bottoming out, etc.)

-Overhanging branches near bus stops

-MTA and the constant spec changes

I would assume that vanhool is in the same boat that nabi was regarding selling buses to the MTA. They want nothing to do with us...

MTA has had talks with VanHool. We demo'd the double-decker a few years back and MTA was going to go ahead and place an order. However, it was decided that because of the coach height it would be severely restricted to which depots would be able to handle it. The program was then scrapped. As far as the transit coaches, VanHool has never been able to catch the MTA's attention with those. They are not as "buy-America" compliant as the other buses are. In the case of the double-decker order, that would not have mattered anyway because the buses were planned to be purchased with all MTA funds.

NABI even played with the notion of entering the Bus Test & Evaluation program. MTA formally contacted them, as well as Altair, DesignLine, MTS, and 5 otthers to participate in the program. 

For a few minutes, NABI was playing with the idea of shipping a 45C to the TA as MTA was planning to ship a 42.5 footer if the program went forward. At the end of the day, NABI decided that not unlike MTS, they were not willing to invest in the BTE program as shaker tests are very expensive and can destroy a bus. And after all that, the MTA was still not guaranteed to accept the bus into the program unless it passed the shaker.

MTA has had talks with VanHool. We demo'd the double-decker a few years back and MTA was going to go ahead and place an order. However, it was decided that because of the coach height it would be severely restricted to which depots would be able to handle it. The program was then scrapped. As far as the transit coaches, VanHool has never been able to catch the MTA's attention with those. They are not as "buy-America" compliant as the other buses are. In the case of the double-decker order, that would not have mattered anyway because the buses were planned to be purchased with all MTA funds.

NABI even played with the notion of entering the Bus Test & Evaluation program. MTA formally contacted them, as well as Altair, DesignLine, MTS, and 5 otthers to participate in the program. 

For a few minutes, NABI was playing with the idea of shipping a 45C to the TA as MTA was planning to ship a 42.5 footer if the program went forward. At the end of the day, NABI decided that not unlike MTS, they were not willing to invest in the BTE program as shaker tests are very expensive and can destroy a bus. And after all that, the MTA was still not guaranteed to accept the bus into the program unless it passed the shaker.

Wasn't Designline and Nova with the 2009-2010s the first to participate in the BT&E program?

So that's all MCI did was change out the engine??? Wow... Talk about a lack of creativity... I wonder how much money they spend on design and other features before going into the manufacturing stage.  I mean aside from a few mainly cosmetic changes, I don't see many differences between the most recent MCIs we received and the ones going back to 1999.

Better lighting, slightly better HVAC setup, better headlights, bigger destination sign, ect ect ect. For the "environmentally friendly" part of it, engine change to a less powerful Cummins. I'm not sure if the bus was any lighter from their 2010 counterparts.

Wasn't Designline and Nova with the 2009-2010s the first to participate in the BT&E program?

Yes. The program was actually designed around those two companies. There are 2 different classifications. One is standard 90, and the other is extended group testing. Nova, New, Flyer and Orion entered into the "standard."  DesignLine entered the "Extended." MTS was originally set to enter the Standard, however official MTA documents show they wanted MTS to enter the "Extended" and that was another nail in the coffin. It was nearly identical to the DL program. They requested MTS deliver 6 pilot buses, then an initial test batch of 20, then the remaining 53 after 6 months of revenue testing. MTS as we know, could not agree to those terms unless MTA guaranteed all 90. Like Designline, MTA was basically only guaranteed an award for 6 buses. 

Better lighting, slightly better HVAC setup, better headlights, bigger destination sign, ect ect ect. For the "environmentally friendly" part of it, engine change to a less powerful Cummins. I'm not sure if the bus was any lighter from their 2010 counterparts.

Yeah the customer side is true... The AC on the newer models is fantastic, as is the orange signage and the seats are easy to recline and less clunky.  I can't wait for the older MCIs to bite the dust.  The green signage is awful in that it's hard to read as the sign gets older.

I think the height of those buses caused a problem IIRC.  They tried them on a few Staten Island express bus lines, most notably the X17, and there were some issues.  Trees being in the way, etc. etc.  

You cannot blame Prevost for that. The company who NORMALLY does our decals did not do the decals for 2400-2489. If you look in 2490, the correct logo is there.

Would you or anyone else have a pic for the 2490? Wonder what made (MTA) deviate from the regular decal provider....

this is kind of with the MCI buses and the driver steering wheel i noticed there was a change with the newer model from the older model where it was like this 

http://i1.ytimg.com/vi/bsE1Tz4aam4/0.jpg

now it's like this

http://www.mcicoach.com/public-sector/Commuter/data1/images/h_mci_d4500_commuter_drivers_console.jpg

was it a design change or did the ta request it?

this is kind of with the MCI buses and the driver steering wheel i noticed there was a change with the newer model from the older model where it was like this

now it's like this

http://www.mcicoach.com/public-sector/Commuter/data1/images/h_mci_d4500_commuter_drivers_console.jpg

Its changed a few more times than that. I can remember 2 or 3 time that I've sat down in an MCI for 5 minutes trying to figure out how to start it lol.

now it's like this

MCI design changes.

Archived