How Memorizing “$19.05” Can Help You Outsmart the MTA

realizm

SEPTEMBER 5, 2014

We’ve all been there. The train is coming into the station, and you grab your MetroCard and quickly try and swipe it at a turnstile.

"Please Swipe Again". "Please Swipe Again". "Insufficient Fare".

The last two words are killer. You think to yourself “I swear I had a balance on this card”. You go and check the card out and you see you have “$2.45”. Yes, you need $2.50 to ride the subway, and you have $2.45 on your MetroCard. Sure enough you miss that train all because of that nickel.

How did you end up in that situation any way? It turns out the MTA has designed it that way. Imagine how many tourists come to NYC and leave with balances that never get used. Imagine how many people lose metro cards with those balances that never get used. And even if it gets used on a later refill, the MTA gets to collect the cash earlier this way! Win win for them, right?

But now, with some simple math, you can fight back!

First, let’s see how the MTA tricks you out of your money earlier than you might want to release it to them.

When you are buying a MetroCard, you can get a 5% bonus if your purchase is big enough. So you get the following screen early on in the purchase process:

tumblr_inline_nbcxyuCZSY1szvr4h.jpg

More in a complete step by step tutorial with graphs (!) can be found by clicking here.

(Or, if you're a "real" New Yorker who actually uses the subway on a regular basis, you could just not care and refill it every time you're about to run out, or buy a weekly or monthly pass...)

The only people this really hurts are people who take the MTA on a very sparing basis and tourists.

This is another reason I try to buy the Unlimited Express Bus card.  It's a PITA to have odd amounts on your card.  I do try to keep a backup card just in case I forget to fill up, but usually I fill up for one week, and then fill up again when I've broken in the first pass, this way I have my two week pass.

This is another reason I try to buy the Unlimited Express Bus card. It's a PITA to have odd amounts on your card. I do try to keep a backup card just in case I forget to fill up, but usually I fill up for one week, and then fill up again when I've broken in the first pass, this way I have my two week pass.

One time a station manager at my stop somehow took two of my metrocards with odd fares on it and made it an even amount. A station agent one time actually replaced an unlimited card that had a error when I just purchased it saving me the trouble of having to send it for a refund by mail. So I'm fortunate in that regard if I end up with that problem. But yes totally best way to go unless one is on an extremely tight budget is to just get the unlimited card and avoid this mess to begin with.

Some also add an additional 5 dollars on their unlimited card for the same reason you hold on to two metrocards in case the 7 or 30 day passes expire on you unexpectedly. Plus the money adds up while they have time already on the card anyway and end up with a free fare.

One time a station manager at my stop somehow took two of my metrocards with odd fares on it and made it an even amount. A station agent one time actually replaced an unlimited card that had a error when I just purchased it saving me the trouble of having to send it for a refund by mail. So I'm fortunate in that regard if I end up with that problem. But yes totally best way to go unless one is on an extremely tight budget is to just get the unlimited card and avoid this mess to begin with.

Actually that's how you can get the odd amounts taken care of is by going to a station agent and having them combine cards.  You can't do that at a MVM though which is annoying.  I like having a receipt for my purchases, not only to cover me in case I lose the card, but also for tax write-offs at the end of the year, so if it's just a few cents I let it go.

Actually that's how you can get the odd amounts taken care of is by going to a station agent and having them combine cards.  You can't do that at a MVM though which is annoying.  I like having a receipt for my purchases, not only to cover me in case I lose the card, but also for tax write-offs at the end of the year, so if it's just a few cents I let it go.

That too.

I keep my reciepts because the metrocards itself have errors on it (The magnetic strip). Usually if there is an error at the turnstile it will tell you see the station agent or it will just say insufficient fare. This actually happened to me a few times.

Tax writeoffs, got to look into that now that you reminded me.

Thanks so much realizm! I have a few metrocards with obscure amounts that this could help for! Every penny counts!

Your quite welcome!

That too.

I keep my reciepts because the metrocards itself have errors on it (The magnetic strip). Usually if there is an error at the turnstile it will tell you see the station agent or it will just say insufficient fare. This actually happened to me a few times.

Tax writeoffs, got to look into that now that you reminded me.

If you have a side business (i.e. independent consultant as I am) then you can write off your transportation expenses where applicable...  The trade off is you usually pay your tax preparer more as you'll file as a business as opposed to a filing just your personal income taxes.

This just reminds of the time when my mom worked at a hotel. In addition to cash as tips, many tourists left their MetroCards (with leftover funds) as well. I remember my mom bringing home cards that had anywhere from $10 to a full 7 days left on them (back when the 14 day unlimited existed)

But seriously, this is nothing more than easy math. I always keep around an $11.90 Metro as a supplement to my Unlimited 30 day card. Like one of the posters before said, this really only affects tourists and people who mainly drive or walk.

I think adding a quarter (25 cents) to a bonus amount ups the total by a penny. I did that until my total was divisible by 5. Once that happens, I just add change - under the bonus amount - to make it divisible by 25; problem solved. After that, I just put straight even amounts on my card, so it's always divisible by 5.

(Or, if you're a "real" New Yorker who actually uses the subway on a regular basis, you could just not care and refill it every time you're about to run out, or buy a weekly or monthly pass...)

The only people this really hurts are people who take the MTA on a very sparing basis and tourists.

I take subway everyday and for me montly passes arent ecnomical vs filling up cards regularly, since I only swap two times a day.

Archived