LIRR locomotive Engineer Trainee job

avinny116

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, Steven trejo said:

Sounds good, thank you.

-Steven Trejo 

It all depends. I got called the next day after to start the background check. Orientation was in January. After everything was cleared. I got the email in March. I heard others waited longer. Some of my classmates waited 6-7 months. 

Edited by drenyce311

11 minutes ago, drenyce311 said:

It all depends. I got called the next day after to start the background check. Orientation was in January. After everything was cleared. I got the email in March. I heard others waited longer. Some of my classmates waited 6-7 months. 

True true , if anything I'm just anxious

-Steven Trejo

17 hours ago, Bk82EL said:

Does anyone know a better way to memorize the position and pedestal lights?

Flash Cards. Be prepared, because the definitions are exponentially harder to memorize. They make the signals look like child's play.

Edited by RCARR

Good morning!

This thread has been very insightful and intriguing.  I read through it in about 2 days.  

I applied this past November and was invited to the April 9th open house in Babylon.  I’m considering of going as I don’t have anything to lose by not trying. 

My main concern is I have a moving violation from 2014, a DWI to be specific.  It has been 4yrs 5mo to the date.  Will this automatically disqualify me or do I have a chance since it’s been some time already?

I’ve completed everything that has to do with that violation and have my drivers license for over a year now.  I have absolutely no other incidents on my record. 

I am also going to the open house in Babylon on April 9th. My concern is is having a drivers license mandatory? The job posting did not indicate this but in the email inviting me to the open house it says bring your drivers license. I have my NYS ID but no license yet. Will that be a problem?

On 3/25/2019 at 5:23 AM, Diplok said:

I am also going to the open house in Babylon on April 9th. My concern is is having a drivers license mandatory? The job posting did not indicate this but in the email inviting me to the open house it says bring your drivers license. I have my NYS ID but no license yet. Will that be a problem?

i think that is just to get in the building, think you should be OK. 

Just took the S+D exam on Saturday, 3/30/19

anyone know how long it takes them to reach out to let you know if you passed or not? 

If anyone took the same exam and heard anything I would appreciate a post response here to get an idea. 

Thanks

9 minutes ago, nykfan said:

i think that is just to get in the building, think you should be OK. 

Your going to need a car to get around. If not your gonna be out the house 14 hours just to come back to work. Unless if your cool with showing up 1-2 hours before report. Once you qualify your only getting 3 hours to get the terminal at odd hours of the morning. Unless you live in the Jamaica vicinity. 

Edited by drenyce311

59 minutes ago, drenyce311 said:

Your going to need a car to get around. If not your gonna be out the house 14 hours just to come back to work. Unless if your cool with showing up 1-2 hours before report. Once you qualify your only getting 3 hours to get the terminal at odd hours of the morning. Unless you live in the Jamaica vicinity. 

definitely agreed. Going to have to be all over island eventually and getting places may be difficult. I would definitely work on getting the license but as far as the testing goes you should be good. 

1 hour ago, Steven trejo said:

I'm taking my S+D in May, how was the test ? Was it hard? 

-Steven Trejo

thought it was pretty easy if you make flash cards and constantly study. The signals i felt good with think i aced em (you have to get 100%). I actually went back and changed one of my definition answers that was right and ended up getting that one wrong for sure, so stil with your gut. Think i got everything else verbatim though. Wasn't bad honestly if you know your stuff you'll run through it. 

I used color associations with the color lights, for example

(G stands for Green, R for Red)

G then R = clear

R then G = medium clear

R flashing G= limited clear 

this helped me a lot 

Edited by nykfan

On 2/13/2019 at 7:24 PM, republic said:

How did the open house go?  Are you moving on?

open house went great, just took my test saturday, felt really good about it besides 1 definitely i went back and changed that i know was wrong. Besides that im eager to hear how the test went and what the next step is/will be but i have no idea when or what that will be, once you finish the test they just say HR will be in touch. 

1 hour ago, nykfan said:

thought it was pretty easy if you make flash cards and constantly study. The signals i felt good with think i aced em (you have to get 100%). I actually went back and changed one of my definition answers that was right and ended up getting that one wrong for sure, so stil with your gut. Think i got everything else verbatim though. Wasn't bad honestly if you know your stuff you'll run through it. 

I used color associations with the color lights, for example

(G stands for Green, R for Red)

G then R = clear

R then G = medium clear

R flashing G= limited clear 

this helped me a lot 

Thanks bro , I already made flash cards I'm studying my ass off everyday! 

-Steven Trejo. 

14 hours ago, nykfan said:

anyone know how long it takes them to reach out to let you know if you passed or not? 

If anyone took the same exam and heard anything I would appreciate a post response here to get an idea. 

Thanks

I took the S&D test back in November. I got a call about a week later letting me know I passed.

16 hours ago, nykfan said:

Thanks

Same here - haven’t heard anything! Trying not to take it as a bad sign... I’m with you, if anyone has heard anything good or bad let us know :)

On 4/1/2019 at 5:24 PM, nykfan said:

Thanks

I took the exam so far no word good look to all tho