LIRR locomotive Engineer Trainee job

avinny116

5 minutes ago, Lirrdream said:

Thanks Steven and dre for the responses, also is there a specific place to go or special entrance we must use once we get there? 

If your taking the train. Just follow the crowd upstairs. Show security your letter. If your parking in the street. Know where the security gate is. He’s going to need to see the invitation letter. He will tell you where to go. 

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

oh 

2 minutes ago, Lirrdream said:

Thanks Steven and dre for the responses, also is there a specific place to go or special entrance we must use once we get there? 

I don't think a special entrance but once you arrive you will see everybody heading to the same direction plus the HR people will direct once in the building. I guess you could google the location before so you can familiarize. 

It seems the open house for both the LOCO and AC at the one I am going to is in Babylon. 

32 minutes ago, Lirrdream said:

Just look for the security gate / hut and he will send you up the parking lot hill to the 2nd floor then you will see an automatic door :) 

-Steven Trejo 

25 minutes ago, Lirrdream said:

All i recieved was an email invitation to the s&d, is there supposed to be an invitation as well?  All that was attached in the email was a train schedule. 

oh ok I misinterpreted. You onto the next step. Congrats. 

33 minutes ago, Lirrdream said:

All i recieved was an email invitation to the s&d, is there supposed to be an invitation as well?  All that was attached in the email was a train schedule. 

The emailing saying you got invited to the s&d means you will be taking a test for signals and definitions , the Email it self is an invitation . 

-Steven Trejo 

I had received the invitation to the open house which asked me to RSVP.  I had sent the email to RSVP but got no replies nor any confirmation.  Do I just show up with my invitation letter to the facility?  Is that ok?  I've checked all my spam/trash folders, never taken this test before etc. 

1 minute ago, sr20seb said:

I had received the invitation to the open house which asked me to RSVP.  I had sent the email to RSVP but got no replies nor any confirmation.  Do I just show up with my invitation letter to the facility?  Is that ok?  I've checked all my spam/trash folders, never taken this test before etc. 

You should get it by the end of the day , if not no response is good news here lol , but they might just be busy 😛 

-steven trejo

2 hours ago, sr20seb said:

You usually don't get a confirmation email.
At most, just print out the email and take it with you (unless you have a smartphone and can show it).
If you're taking the LIRR to the Hillside Facility, show the email to the Conductor so you can ride for free.

Also, in the past they sent an Employment packet, Invitation Letter, and Directions to the Hillside Facility in the Open House email.

Edited by TCKAS71P

2 hours ago, TCKAS71P said:

You usually don't get a confirmation email.
At most, just print out the email and take it with you (unless you have a smartphone and can show it).
If you're taking the LIRR to the Hillside Facility, show the email to the Conductor so you can ride for free.

Also, in the past they sent an Employment packet, Invitation Letter, and Directions to the Hillside Facility in the Open House email.

Can I do this since it will be in Babylon?

1 hour ago, misslo said:

As long as you're getting off at an Employees Only stop or you can prove that you have a reason to go there (email invitation), then it should be fine.

Edited by TCKAS71P

3 hours ago, misslo said:

Honestly, I wouldn't expect to get a free ride to Babylon with an e-mail about an open house. Before I was hired, any time I had to go to Hillside I bought a ticket from my home station to Jamaica, and then from Jamaica to Hillside it's free. I'm a conductor, and if someone showed me a letter about an Open House, I'd still expect a ticket out of them (except to Hillside, since you can't buy a ticket to that station). Maybe some conductors will let it slide, but some definitely won't.

38 minutes ago, Two2Go said:

Honestly, I wouldn't expect to get a free ride to Babylon with an e-mail about an open house. Before I was hired, any time I had to go to Hillside I bought a ticket from my home station to Jamaica, and then from Jamaica to Hillside it's free. I'm a conductor, and if someone showed me a letter about an Open House, I'd still expect a ticket out of them (except to Hillside, since you can't buy a ticket to that station). Maybe some conductors will let it slide, but some definitely won't.

Interesting. What if the "customer" refuses to pay?

12 hours ago, TCKAS71P said:

As long as you're getting off at an Employees Only stop or you can prove that you have a reason to go there (email invitation), then it should be fine.

Your best bet is to drive to Babylon. It’s a 40-50 walk to the yard from the station. 

10 hours ago, Two2Go said:

Oh ok. The reason I asked is because I am coming from Brooklyn. The last open house i went to  i paid twice and someone on here say i overpay and I definitely dont want to do that again. That was my first time ever in Long Island and on A LIRR. At least the area is familiar to me now. Same stop different building.

2 hours ago, misslo said:

Oh ok. The reason I asked is because I am coming from Brooklyn. The last open house i went to  i paid twice and someone on here say i overpay and I definitely dont want to do that again. That was my first time ever in Long Island and on A LIRR. At least the area is familiar to me now. Same stop different building.

Yeah, I didn't get the ride. You'll need a ticket.

Thanks everyone that corrected me.
I didn't think about the different circumstances for everyone.
I've driven to Babylon yard but took the LIRR to the hillside facility without a ticket.

Also, I'm not attending the upcoming open house as I'm in the Block Operator program.

Good Luck to you guys.

Edited by TCKAS71P

Had the S&D overview yesterday and no one is exaggerating when they say it’s a lot.  And it can seem overwhelming but they also say it can be done by anybody.  Just need dedication and determination.  I began setting up my flash cards last night (unfortunately I had work also yesterday).  I can say from writing just the names the terms become a little more familiar.  Some signals are just self explanatory.  Good luck to all that were there.  There was a good sized group of about 55.  

3 minutes ago, Iwetoddit said:

Had the S&D overview yesterday and no one is exaggerating when they say it’s a lot.  And it can seem overwhelming but they also say it can be done by anybody.  Just need dedication and determination.  I began setting up my flash cards last night (unfortunately I had work also yesterday).  I can say from writing just the names the terms become a little more familiar.  Some signals are just self explanatory.  Good luck to all that were there.  There was a good sized group of about 55.  

Sweet! Get the definitions down first ;) then everything else come with ease but thats just me , I broke it down  😛 

-Steven Trejo 

People seem to disqualify themselves pretty regularly which works in the favor of those who really want it. There were supposed to be 64 candidates for yesterday's overview but only 50-55 showed up. It surely is alot of information to digest but definitely can be done. I'm just blessed to have made it this far in the process and dont plan on messing it up now. I'm gunning for a perfect score on the 6/8 s&d exam. All of the engineers seem to love the job, especially after they've qualified. General consensus is that the training portion is grueling and sucks heavily. I'm just looking at the light at the end of the training tunnel so to speak. 

16 minutes ago, NYYankee said:

Good luck to all who took the test today. I was invited but turned it down because I'm expecting to take the metro north engineer exam later on in the year. I applied to that last week.

Not sure if you knew but the metro north engineer classes were canceled for the remaining year. 

2 hours ago, NYYankee said:

Good luck to all who took the test today. I was invited but turned it down because I'm expecting to take the metro north engineer exam later on in the year. I applied to that last week.

I would say that these opportunities are few and far in between.  Instructor at my overview said that there is a need for new engineers in LIRR.  DRENYCE311 has been most helpful and insightful on many things.  I would trust his information esp since he is guiding us from within and experience.  

Good luck with Metro North but they seem to require a lot more in terms of experience for their locomotive engineers candidates.