LIRR locomotive Engineer Trainee job

avinny116

6 hours ago, misslo said:

So I got invited for the Open House for May 6 2019 at 8:15 am....

I went to the Open House in April, passed the tests and had the interview,  I see that people from that Open House have been invited to Phase 1 training starting in May and another Open House is scheduled in May.  Does this mean that those of us not invited to Phase 1 training from the April Open House should not expect to ever receive an invitation to Phase 1 training? 

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, Frazzles said:

I went to the Open House in April, passed the tests and had the interview,  I see that people from that Open House have been invited to Phase 1 training starting in May and another Open House is scheduled in May.  Does this mean that those of us not invited to Phase 1 training from the April Open House should not expect to ever receive an invitation to Phase 1 training? 

We actually were invited for the S&D overview.  Phase 1 will be for those that past the S&D test after 5 weeks of studying following the overview. 

Did you not get an invite to the S&D?

12 minutes ago, Frazzles said:

Could be they scored higher than you, they didn’t like your answers in the interview. It’s all based on scores and answers. Good luck. No news is good news. Maybe you were at the bottom and will probably be called for the next one. 

23 minutes ago, Iwetoddit said:

We actually were invited for the S&D overview.  Phase 1 will be for those that past the S&D test after 5 weeks of studying following the overview. 

Sorry, I confused Phase 1 with the S&D.

I didn't get an invite to the S&D.

44 minutes ago, drenyce311 said:

FYI. All conductor classes have been canceled for the remaining of the year. Not that this pertains to engineers. Metro north already canceled 2 engineer classes and one during mid training because of budget cuts. 

Wow, interesting.

But why have another open house if there are anticipated budget cuts?  I understand you mentioned it doesn’t apply to engineers but just wondering. 

Edited by Iwetoddit

3 hours ago, Iwetoddit said:

I can't wait to get into phase one 🙏🏼💪 🤓

*S&D in may 

-steven trejo

On 4/24/2019 at 6:44 PM, Iwetoddit said:

Wow, interesting.

But why have another open house if there are anticipated budget cuts?  I understand you mentioned it doesn’t apply to engineers but just wondering. 

There are a few factors...

East Side Access/Grand Central is supposedly going to open in a few years...4 years give or take. Ronkonkoma has been double tracked and after the triple track project between Hicksville and Floral Park is completed, service to KO will improve from hourly to half hourly plus express trains during peak times. These changes will result in more jobs that require a larger roster. 

At the same time, the Locomotive Engineer roster is top heavy (10% of the roster can retire today). For about the next 20 or so years, engineers will be reaching their retirement year.

The addition of new jobs coupled with a year over year retirements is the reason for the hiring. 

Good luck to ya!

Good morning friends,

I recently got the email to participate in the "Locomotive Engineer Trainee" exam on May 6, 2019. Any tips on what I should study? 

Will they be testing on LIRR specific questions or will it be a reading/writing/comprehension (No LIRR specific material)? Any input will help. Thank you and Good Luck!!

On 4/24/2019 at 6:09 PM, drenyce311 said:

FYI. All conductor classes have been canceled for the remaining of the year. Not that this pertains to engineers. Metro north already canceled 2 engineer classes and one during mid training because of budget cuts. 

Any idea when that’s going to be over?? I was supposed to start engineer class for Metro North at the end March and of courseeeeeeee it gets canceled. 🤦🏽‍♂️😯

Edited by BXTeb

14 minutes ago, BXTeb said:

Any idea when that’s going to be over?? I was supposed to start engineer class for Metro North at the end March and of courseeeeeeee it gets canceled. 🤦🏽‍♂️😯

For Metro North?? Not sure. It can be a year or more. Or maybe less. Not sure. 

8 minutes ago, drenyce311 said:

It’s weird because I go to the MTA employment website and there is a new posting for locomotive engineer trainee again. I  immediately emailed my recruiter and she said she will let me know when there is a class scheduled. 🤷🏽‍♂️

12 hours ago, drenyce311 said:

I spoke to someone at MNRR. He said just apply for the next one to be in the pool of candidates. He thinks they’re trying to compile a list of candidates for when this resume again. 

18 hours ago, Jhern28 said:

Good morning friends,

I recently got the email to participate in the "Locomotive Engineer Trainee" exam on May 6, 2019. Any tips on what I should study? 

Will they be testing on LIRR specific questions or will it be a reading/writing/comprehension (No LIRR specific material)? Any input will help. Thank you and Good Luck!!

Nothing LIRR related. You can’t study or prepare for this test. It’s more of a “common sense, can you comprehend and follow instructions” kind of test. 

3 hours ago, drenyce311 said:

Nothing LIRR related. You can’t study or prepare for this test. It’s more of a “common sense, can you comprehend and follow instructions” kind of test. 

Exactly what drenyce311.  They test your vocabulary and cognitive skills.  Take your time and make sure to follow instructions.  

• Harry featured this topic

How did the vets find was the easiest way to memorize the signals? Do they just show you a picture of a signal and you have to write in the name and indication?  Or is It set up as a multiple choice type thing? I'm thinking the signals will be harder to memorize than the definitions.

id say the signals are easier because you can mental notes as far as the positions and colors to know what signal it is but the definitons are straight memorization. 

38 minutes ago, Lirrdream said:

How did the vets find was the easiest way to memorize the signals? Do they just show you a picture of a signal and you have to write in the name and indication?  Or is It set up as a multiple choice type thing? I'm thinking the signals will be harder to memorize than the definitions.

2 hours ago, Lirrdream said:

Yeah I would say the signals are definitely easier, I would study definitions first ;) just some word of advice :p good luck to all! 

*s&d in May 

-Steven Trejo 

46 minutes ago, Lirrdream said:

Are any of you guys familiar with the hillside facility?  Is there a parking lot that we can use? If not is parking available around the area?

Parking is tough at hillside almost ran late myself looking for parking around the facility , recommend taking train 100% 

-Steven trejoTrejo

48 minutes ago, Lirrdream said:

Are any of you guys familiar with the hillside facility?  Is there a parking lot that we can use? If not is parking available around the area?

Parking is for employees only. Your gonna have to park on or off of Dunkirk Ave. Once your in phase 1. The instructor will open the gates for you to park in the employee lot for class. Your better off taking the train to Hillside. Remember. If your late by a minute, you will be sent home. The doors close “EXACTLY” at the time stated in the invitation.