Jump to content


Attention: In order to reply to messages, create topics, have access to other features of the community you must sign up for an account.
avinny116

LIRR locomotive Engineer Trainee job

Recommended Posts

9 minutes ago, BrotherOne said:

Thanks. The Quizlet stuff for S&D was only about 90% accurate. Not good when it has to be verbatim.

 

9 minutes ago, BrotherOne said:

Thanks. The Quizlet stuff for S&D was only about 90% accurate. Not good when it has to be verbatim.

Hey all my S&D overview is this saturday. 8am to 3pm. Is there anything I should know

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Stephen becker said:

 

Hey all my S&D overview is this saturday. 8am to 3pm. Is there anything I should know

DON'T BE LATE! Seriously!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've been in the transportation business for 26 years never late. Thank you for the inside info. Two more questions is it an all day event does it last till 3 o'clock? And dress code I know no sneakers. For the open house I went with a pair of doctor pants with a nice polo shirt. Business casual good? I know some people showed up with jeans and it was not appealing not to Lucille Or the instructor. This is something I've always wanted and I believe if you put your mind to it something that you always wanted to do you will succeed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, BrotherOne said:

Does anyone know if the Phase 1 stuff on Quizlet is accurate? Is it "good enough" to get a picture of what is ahead?

Anything can change even from the current Phase 1 class.  So just wait until you are given the packet.  
 

I would say enjoy the time now reviewing and a little bit of relaxation.  I know what it is to be excited and want to get ahead.  Don’t rush it lol.

We are not exaggerating when we say it is intense.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/7/2019 at 3:43 PM, BrotherOne said:

DON'T BE LATE! Seriously!

Yes. Don’t be late. Doors close at 8am. Show up after that and YOU WILL NOT BE LET IN. They take certain situations into account like if the train you were supposed to be on is running late or something happened to that train. Good luck. Study hard when you get the packet. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/7/2019 at 4:37 PM, Stephen becker said:

I've been in the transportation business for 26 years never late. Thank you for the inside info. Two more questions is it an all day event does it last till 3 o'clock? And dress code I know no sneakers. For the open house I went with a pair of doctor pants with a nice polo shirt. Business casual good? I know some people showed up with jeans and it was not appealing not to Lucille Or the instructor. This is something I've always wanted and I believe if you put your mind to it something that you always wanted to do you will succeed.

For my overview, the open house started at 8am (SHARP) and the instructors had finished the read-through of all the signals and definitions by 11:30am. I was out in time for lunch. Just remember that was MY experience; actual results may vary.

In regards to dress code - business casual is just fine. I wore slacks and a dress shirt. Some people wore jeans and t-shirts, however, I did not notice any backlash on that as the same few were wearing jeans and t-shirts to the overview.

When you said "doctors pants," did you mean scrubs?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, nickolas388 said:

has anyone received an open house invite for Job ID 96013?  Job opening was in August .

 

thanks

They already started emailing from the August 7th deadline. A friend of mine went Sept 23rd for the open house. Just be patient. Pretty sure they’ll be more open houses. 

Edited by drenyce311

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good morning!! Had my panel interview on 10/11. Does anyone know how long it usually takes to hear back from them? Keeping my fingers crossed!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, mpalacino said:

Good morning!! Had my panel interview on 10/11. Does anyone know how long it usually takes to hear back from them? Keeping my fingers crossed!!

Nice! How did it go? I got my panel interview this Friday.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, mpalacino said:

Good morning!! Had my panel interview on 10/11. Does anyone know how long it usually takes to hear back from them? Keeping my fingers crossed!!

 Good morning guys congratulations. I just had my signals and definitions overview this past Saturday it was intriguing. I know there's a lot of stuff  To study and remember any  Pointers you can give me that you used to prepare for the test. My test is November 16th. Thanks guys

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Stephen becker said:

 Good morning guys congratulations. I just had my signals and definitions overview this past Saturday it was intriguing. I know there's a lot of stuff  To study and remember any  Pointers you can give me that you used to prepare for the test. My test is November 16th. Thanks guys

Flash cards were a big help that's how I studied! Just have to study study study every day/night. You have to get a 100 on S&D and the definitions need to be remembered verbatim. Good luck!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Stephen becker said:

 Good morning guys congratulations. I just had my signals and definitions overview this past Saturday it was intriguing. I know there's a lot of stuff  To study and remember any  Pointers you can give me that you used to prepare for the test. My test is November 16th. Thanks guys

Go and make color copies of the signals. Cut them up and paste them on to index cards. Index cards are probably the best way to remember the signals. It works great for definitions too. Your stack of cards will be quite large.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, mpalacino said:

Good morning!! Had my panel interview on 10/11. Does anyone know how long it usually takes to hear back from them? Keeping my fingers crossed!!

My panel interview was 10/2. Still waiting for an official result. I was told it could be quite some time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Phase one consists of 14 students usually, mine was 16 at first and now down to 15.

Next class, I believe, will be after we finish.  Our exam is on November 2nd.  So must likely the next class will be next year.  I doubt they do anything throughout the holidays. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, BrotherOne said:

How many candidates are in each Phase One class?

Usually 14 prospects. Then 12 for phase 2. The top 12 scores will go to the next phase. The bottom two scores will wait for the next phase 2 to start. Assuming everyone got over an 80 to pass. 

Edited by drenyce311

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/15/2019 at 9:21 AM, mpalacino said:

Good morning!! Had my panel interview on 10/11. Does anyone know how long it usually takes to hear back from them? Keeping my fingers crossed!!

Hey guys, hope everyone is well I have my panel interview tomorrow morning. Any advice?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Alberto said:

Hey guys, hope everyone is well I have my panel interview tomorrow morning. Any advice?

Be early and remember the paperwork they give you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Phase one, holy shit @drenyce311, you weren't joking when you said it was intense earlier in the thread🤯😰. No such thing as being caught up, always that feeling of being a little bit behind......

  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Lirrdream said:

Phase one, holy shit @drenyce311, you weren't joking when you said it was intense earlier in the thread🤯😰. No such thing as being caught up, always that feeling of being a little bit behind......

Is it a "be careful what you wish for, you may get it" thing?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, BrotherOne said:

Is it a "be careful what you wish for, you may get it" thing?

And then some.....don't get me wrong its doable,  but you're going to eat, sleep and shit rules. You're going to dream about rules.....if you don't have serious study habits it will be impossible.....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.