In-Fill stations and stations that would be closed if there were budgetary concerns

Union Tpke

For example Court Square was an infill station.

What other ones throughout the system would you create?

104 St Central Park West  (2)(3) Transfer to B C

Northern Blvd (F) Transfer to E M R

Union Av (J)(M) Transfer to G (Close Hewes St and Lorimer St)

2 Av (7) Future transfer to SAS

(SIR Rosebank)

129 St (J)(Z)

If I had to close stations I would close

18 St (1)

75 Av (E)(F)

3 Av (L)

I'm kind of annoyed there isn't any 28 Street station on any of the IND lines. I get off at various avenues on 27/28 Street all the time, and I usually have to take the (1), (N), (R), and now (C), or (E) since I discovered 23 Street has an exit to 25 Street.

Infill: Houston St (N)(R) - transfer to (6)(B)(D)(F)(M)

Also connect Cortlandt St on the (R) to Fulton Transit Ctr

Cut: the occasional el stations that are too close and don't have enough ridership

I'm kind of annoyed there isn't any 28 Street station on any of the IND lines. I get off at various avenues on 27/28 Street all the time, and I usually have to take the (1), (N), (R), and now (C), or (E) since I discovered 23 Street has an exit to 25 Street.

I guess they assumed a few blocks isnt that bad.

For example Court Square was an infill station.

What other ones throughout the system would you create?

104 St Central Park West   (2)(3) Transfer to B C

Union Av (J)(M) Transfer to G (Close Hewes St and Lorimer St)

2 Av (7) Future transfer to SAS

(SIR Rosebank)

129 St (J)(Z)

If I had to close stations I would close

18 St (1)

75 Av (E)(F)

3 Av (L)

(J)

I agree--one Union Avenue station rather than Hewes and Lorimer. Exits would be at both ends of the station.

Don't see the need for both Cleveland st and Norwood Av--Either build a station in between or ditch one of them with exits on both ends of the station.

Think 121st should be moved to Lefferts. That's a major street and that's where Myrtle ends.  Agree with the station on 129th st.

I would actually ditch Bowery unless there are plans for a Second avenue subway transfer.

(G)

I would probably ditch the Classon and Flushing Av stations. Same for 21st st.

Never understood the 21st st station. Either create a new station at Vernon Blvd with a GREAT and EASY transfer to the (7) or close it altogether.

(L)

Consolidate 3rd and 1st aves into 2nd Av station.

Also connect Cortlandt St on the (R) to Fulton Transit Ctr

I have previously suggested myself at the very least having exits at Houston Street (or as close to Houston as possible) on the (N)(R) from the Prince Street station (at the very northern end obviously) and have that go to an extended mezzanine at Broadway and Houston that would allow the transfers to the (6)(B)(D)(F) and (M).  That would give Broadway line riders a second transfer point to the 6th Avenue line and (technically) three transfer points in four stops to the Lexington Avenue line.

Also do think the (R) should be connected to the FTC at Courtlandt.  As has been noted elsewhere, doing so in bad weather would allow someone to conceivably walk from the Chambers Street (A) platform all the way to the (2)(3) platform at Fulton (and yes with two stations on the (A) / (C) and (2) / (3) within fare control).

So let me get this straight. You actually think someone is going to be A OK with paying a fare to walk underground. You think is fine to charge people a fare to walk inside, while someone who can't be spared the $2.50 is left out in the cold, quite literally.

Logically speaking, not even needing to get into the stupidity of having a train stop twice within one paid area, that is reason enough to leave Dey Street OUT of fare control. It doesn't help anybody. If they are already within fare control and want to go to Fulton Street he's an absolutely genius idea...

GET ON THE FREAKING TRAIN!

Who in their right mind would pay $2.50 to walk more than half a mile.

The current method under consideration would get them from Chambers and Church to Fulton and Broadway for FREE

F

R

E

E

The four letter word humanity will go out of it's way for.

Dey Street is a pedestrian cross under. Not a paid transfer tunnel, just accept it for once.

I have previously suggested myself at the very least having exits at Houston Street (or as close to Houston as possible) on the (N)(R) from the Prince Street station (at the very northern end obviously) and have that go to an extended mezzanine at Broadway and Houston that would allow the transfers to the (6)(B)(D)(F) and (M).  That would give Broadway line riders a second transfer point to the 6th Avenue line and (technically) three transfer points in four stops to the Lexington Avenue line.

Also do think the (R) should be connected to the FTC at Courtlandt.  As has been noted elsewhere, doing so in bad weather would allow someone to conceivably walk from the Chambers Street (A) platform all the way to the (2)(3) platform at Fulton (and yes with two stations on the (A) / (C) and (2) / (3) within fare control).

Cortlandt Street is connected to the Fulton Center, with the exception of its outside of fare control.

Dey has more utility as a alternative to crowded above ground streets for all people, rather than a replacement for a walking trip that isn't time competitive.

You're talking about putting platforms on the express tracks underneath the existing Northern Blvd IND station? 

Wouldn't that usually be an E/F station with transfer to the M/R? The E only runs on the local tracks late nights. 

Also not for nothing Northern Blvd is less than a mile away from Jackson Heights/Roosevelt Ave... 

Don't get me wrong, I live right near there it would be pretty rad to have an express stop there, but at the same time, the express QBL runs are for the benefit of people further down the line. 10 minutes on the local to manhattan for me - If I really want the express I can always backtrack. 

Besides the stations being right next to each other (practically touching), it affords a transfer opportunity that may be more convenient than the one at 34 Street–Herald Square in terms of steps walked. If the depths are what I think they are, it could be a simple flight up or down with the passageways behind the tunnel walls of Broadway at platform level.

Another one connecting 57 Street–7 Avenue to 53 Street–7 Avenue might make sense too. It provides a transfer between the Broadway Line and the (E) in Manhattan that's 3 times shorter than the one at Times Square–42 Street. So those needing to reach 8 Avenue stations from Broadway can transfer here. At night, the (E) local can connect with Broadway riders here when the (R) isn't serving.

The (F)'s tracks are a whole station length away from the northern tip of Queens Plaza. I'm not sure that connection will be very friendly.

You're talking about putting platforms on the express tracks underneath the existing Northern Blvd IND station? 

Wouldn't that usually be an E/F station with transfer to the M/R? The E only runs on the local tracks late nights. 

Also not for nothing Northern Blvd is less than a mile away from Jackson Heights/Roosevelt Ave... 

Don't get me wrong, I live right near there it would be pretty rad to have an express stop there, but at the same time, the express QBL runs are for the benefit of people further down the line. 10 minutes on the local to manhattan for me - If I really want the express I can always backtrack. 

NO! At 41 Avenue and Northern Blvd. There was a station originally planned there. I recently got tons of planning material from a friend for work on the 63 St Tunnel project that will

Another one connecting 57 Street–7 Avenue to 53 Street–7 Avenue might make sense too. It provides a transfer between the Broadway Line and the (E) in Manhattan that's 3 times shorter than the one at Times Square–42 Street. So those needing to reach 8 Avenue stations from Broadway can transfer here. At night, the (E) local can connect with Broadway riders here when the (R) isn't serving.

YES! I totally agree!

The (F)'s tracks are a whole station length away from the northern tip of Queens Plaza. I'm not sure that connection will be very friendly.

ScreenShot2014-11-17at40229PM_zps8d2c082

Not quite

Quill Depot, on 17 Nov 2014 - 07:41 AM, said:
Infill: Houston St (N) ® - transfer to (6)(B)(D)(F)(M)

Besides the stations being right next to each other 

I totally agree!

RE: connecting 7 Av-53 St to 57 St-7 Av

The underground passage connecting the (N) to the (E) is roughly 1 city avenue (about 800 feet, give or take a few feet). Ideally, you're going from one corner to the next.

An underground passage between 7 Av-53 and 57 St-7 is four blocks. Each city block is about 200 feet, plus 60 feet for every street crossed (100 for 57 St). If you look at it, the difference between them would be minimal, at most longer than the 42 St transfer.

Hardly worth the cost

RE: connecting 7 Av-53 St to 57 St-7 Av

The underground passage connecting the (N) to the (E) is roughly 1 city avenue (about 800 feet, give or take a few feet). Ideally, you're going from one corner to the next.

An underground passage between 7 Av-53 and 57 St-7 is four blocks. Each city block is about 200 feet, plus 60 feet for every street crossed (100 for 57 St). If you look at it, the difference between them would be minimal, at most longer than the 42 St transfer.

Hardly worth the cost

I'm not taking the station names at face value. Have a look yourself. Better yet, walk the distance by foot and get a feel.

42 Street

igpwD7n.png

The Broadway platforms are 4 city streets away from the 8 Avenue platforms and it comes with numerous stairs and passageways to navigate through.

57 Street

wNMfsrB.png

Transfer passageway between Queensboro Plazza and Queens Plaza would be nice if doable.

I don't think that would be necessary. The people that would use this transfer could use 42 Street, Court Square, and Herald Square instead of Queens(boro) Plaza.

Tell that to somebody at Astoria/Ditmars trying to get to eastern queens, or vice versa.

Sure, you can get off at QBP, take the 7 one stop and get on the E - but it's faster just to walk on the surface, especially if you have an unlimited metrocard. An extended enclosed walkway could at least make the transfer free.

Tell that to somebody at Astoria/Ditmars trying to get to eastern queens, or vice versa.

Sure, you can get off at QBP, take the 7 one stop and get on the E - but it's faster just to walk on the surface, especially if you have an unlimited metrocard. An extended enclosed walkway could at least make the transfer free.

Unlimited cards are great for transfers. No need to worry about particular transfer points and back tracking, just exit the subway, walk a block or two and re-enter the subway.

One example, I was taking the late nite (3) from uptown to the QB line. Instead of transferring at 72nd for the (1) then taking the (1) to Columbus Circle (D) to the (E) and whatever other nonsense. I wanted to take the least amount of trains, especially on 20 min headway. So, I took the (3) Express to Times Square and walked one block over to 6th Ave for the (F) express to Jamaica. I waited maybe 10 mins for the (F), good timing. 

(J)

I agree--one Union Avenue station rather than Hewes and Lorimer. Exits would be at both ends of the station.

Don't see the need for both Cleveland st and Norwood Av--Either build a station in between or ditch one of them with exits on both ends of the station.

Think 121st should be moved to Lefferts. That's a major street and that's where Myrtle ends.  Agree with the station on 129th st.

I would actually ditch Bowery unless there are plans for a Second avenue subway transfer.

(G)

I would probably ditch the Classon and Flushing Av stations. Same for 21st st.

Never understood the 21st st station. Either create a new station at Vernon Blvd with a GREAT and EASY transfer to the (7) or close it altogether.

(L)

Consolidate 3rd and 1st aves into 2nd Av station.

Cleveland and Norwood may seem close to each other, But that's because the only entrance/exits are built at the ends of the station. Plus both station entrances are 7 blocks away from each other.

I agree 121 should have been on Lefferts Blvd. But I disagree with a 129th Street station.

Ditching Bowery would be like ditching 138th Street-Grand Concourse, both stations are close to another station but both are convenient.

Both Classon and Flushing are important. I think 21st Street should move to Vernon to connect with the (7)

Disagree with the (L) stations.

Besides the stations being right next to each other (practically touching), it affords a transfer opportunity that may be more convenient than the one at 34 Street–Herald Square in terms of steps walked. If the depths are what I think they are, it could be a simple flight up or down with the passageways behind the tunnel walls of Broadway at platform level.

I agree with connecting 7th Avenue/53rd Street with 57th Street/7th Avenue. Especially since there is an exits at 55th Street at the 57th Street station. Also I agree with the reasons you stated about the late night services.

I may be the only one, but what about connecting Lexington/63rd Street with Lexington/59th Streets. A passageway could connect with the mezzanine at 60th Street beneath the Broadway Line.

I may be the only one, but what about connecting Lexington/63rd Street with Lexington/59th Streets. A passageway could connect with the mezzanine at 60th Street beneath the Broadway Line.

Lots of money would be needed. Plus, Lex-63 St is under construction for the 2nd avenue subway, so it might not even happen in terms of $.

Archived