QM2, QM20 or QM3 stop at CitiField

Via Garibaldi 8

The QM3 had a stop at 114, but was discontinued. Obviously it was useless, since the only buses useful for the games were the 2 last PM buses. Not only that, but the walk was somewhat long and not very convenient. There's also the fact that Bayside riders don't want those riders on their bus.

The (7) also gets them to Citifield faster, since the express needs to operate along Northern Blvd. Going to Manhattan, you could run the service, but it'll be an inconvinience, because should the game be at 1:10 PM, you'd add extra time for the riders using the bus to Midtown at around 3 PM or 4 PM (and contrary to what most think, ridership is still fairly well to Midtown). For the 7:10 PM games, it'll be easier, because there aren't such heavy loads, but it's also infrequent, on the other hand.

Also, given the setup of the parkways there, there's no convenient way to route QM2/20's via Citifield

The QM3 had a stop at 114, but was discontinued. Obviously it was useless, since the only bus useful for the games were the 2 last PM buses. Not only that, but the walk was convenient. There's also the fact that Bayside riders don't want those riders on their bus.

lol... So Bay Terrace folks protested huh... Was wondering since there's the BxM4 to Yankee Stadium...

Get off the bus and take the 66....no business for a 45ft bus stopping by the junk yards....

Seems like a viable alternative... I'm using the QM2 for some shopping tomorrow no too far from CitiField, so I was curious...

Aren't they supposed to be developing that area with new housing? Having the express bus there would help those residents if and when that happens.

Depends. The reason the QM2 was diverted from the Whitestone on weekends (which happened in April) was to reduce mileage and improve reliability, among other factors. It is a more residential area than the industrial park sections it served along the Whitestone (which, although getting usage weekdays, didn't get much ridership on weekends), however they did give the reasoning that these areas are residential and could possibly gain extra riders. We'll see if that was true given the weekend ridership stats for 2014, whenever it comes out.

Now, as for the particular diversion, to Bayside, there won't be much time added, but to Manhattan, it is quite different, given the different routing. Hypothetically, if service was to start, I would keep the QM2 out of it (weekdays), and let the QM3/20 handle it on weekdays, and then the QM2 serve it on the weekends.

Depends. The reason the QM2 was diverted from the Whitestone on weekends (which happened in April) was to reduce mileage, among other factors. It is a more residential area than the industrial park sections it served along the Whitestone (which, although getting usage weekdays, didn't get much ridership on weekends). To Bayside, there won't be much time added, but to Manhattan, it is quite different, given the different routing. Hypothetically, if service was to start, I would keep the QM2 out of it (weekdays), and let the QM3/20 handle it on weekdays, and then the QM2 serve it on the weekends.

Well I have an ex-colleague that lives by the QM2/QM20... Lives in one of those co-ops in Flushing and uses the express bus... I would imagine they would want to get more of those types of riders on weekends on the QM2...

I doubt you'd get anyone willing to take the express bus to the back end of Citifield....Not very visually appealing, if you catch my drift....

Well those buses could be detoured only during games... It's odd to me that the (MTA) doesn't market express bus service anyway.... The BxM4 stops right near Yankee Stadium, yet they don't mention it...

New express bus routes marketed just to tourists could make a killing here *if executed properly* and if the (MTA) can find an appropriate market within city limits...

Problem is, what's within the city to have the MTA invest on a new full time/part time/seasonal route to make money on and have a market where potential riders want to spend $6 per trip on?

Well those buses could be detoured only during games... It's odd to me that the (MTA) doesn't market express bus service anyway.... The BxM4 stops right near Yankee Stadium, yet they don't mention it...

If they did, the route would probably get slammed very hard. It would be very expensive for the MTA to provide additional service that is needed only occasionally, which is why they only do it for Randall's Island with the X80.

>Considers the express bus "elite transportation" for "regulars" only and gives people mad looks when they come on his bus and he doesn't know them

>Wants to have tourists and Met fans riding the express bus (which no one's gonna actually use to get to the stadium)

New express bus routes marketed just to tourists could make a killing here *if executed properly* and if the (MTA) can find an appropriate market within city limits...

Problem is, what's within the city to have the MTA invest on a new full time/part time/seasonal route to make money on and have a market where potential riders want to spend $6 per trip on?

If they did, the route would probably get slammed very hard. It would be very expensive for the MTA to provide additional service that is needed only occasionally, which is why they only do it for Randall's Island with the X80.

I don't see the big deal.  They market the LIRR for the games, which people use at a comparable price. Yankee Stadium has the BxM4 in addition to the MNRR and the (MTA) markets the BxM4 going back to at least 2011:

Express Buses

The BxM4, Grand Concourse express via Fifth and Madison Avenues, stops at 161st Street and the Grand Concourse, three blocks from Yankee Stadium. The bus provides half-hourly service to weeknight games and hourly service at other times. To the game, the stop for Yankee Stadium is the first stop in the Bronx. From the game, the bus stops at 158th St. and the Grand Concourse. Point-to-point schedules are available using Trip Planner. The fare for the bus is $5.50, payable with a pay-per-ride or Express Bus Plus MetroCard or coins.

Source: http://www.mta.info/press-release/mta-headquarters/avoid-major-league-traffic-%E2%80%93-take-train-game

I don't see the big deal. They market the LIRR for the games, which people use at a comparable price. Yankee Stadium has the BxM4 in addition to the MNRR.

That's because the LIRR runs to two stadiums and it actually has a legitimate purpose for serving outside the five boroughs. Folks don't want to be stuck in traffic on those express buses on game day.

Yankees Stadium may have the BxM4,but it's hardly ever used like that to begin with for that purpose.

That's because the LIRR runs to two stadiums and it actually has a legitimate purpose for serving outside the five boroughs. Folks don't want to be stuck in traffic on those express buses on game day.

Yankees Stadium may have the BxM4,but it's hardly ever used like that to begin with for that purpose.

Indeed, but the (MTA) still markets it though, though not primarily, so they obviously aren't too concerned about overcrowding. It's funny that they mention half-hour service to the games...

I took the BxM4 to Yankee once before a game to avoid the crowds on the (D). There were maybe 5 of us on the bus so it was totally worth it

In general, I agree that the MTA needs to think about integrating express service into the transportation network more, in terms of advertising and in terms of how it affects/is affected by subway and local buses (for example, if there is a major delay on a subway line, alert customers to the closest express bus line and put extra service on those lines). 

no 

I took the BxM4 to Yankee once before a game to avoid the crowds on the (D). There were maybe 5 of us on the bus so it was totally worth it

In general, I agree that the MTA needs to think about integrating express service into the transportation network more, in terms of advertising and in terms of how it affects/is affected by subway and local buses (for example, if there is a major delay on a subway line, alert customers to the closest express bus line and put extra service on those lines).

South Brooklyn & SI express buses are integrated into the network look at their Manhattan routing. The rest are just to control overflow or reach distant areas.

Smart choice... The (D) can be a nightmare during Yankees' games.

True, it's also convenient if you're transfering from another express bus route and/or have an express bus card. What holds it back is the infrequent service (from being considered by most)

Always said that about CP's ops (courteousness)....

Don't know what the hell is going on in YON though... Haven't rode a Bronx exp. bus in a minute.

Yeah had two black B/O's out of CP... Going I had a really nice guy... Asked me where I was going and asked if I minded him taking the LIE to avoid the traffic on Northern.  I thanked him when I got off since he cut a good 15-20 minutes off of my commute.  Coming back had a nice guy... Kneeled the bus, etc., spoke when I thanked him and wished me a happy holiday when I got off.

Yonkers is split these days... I'm actually cool with quite a few B/O's (mainly the Puerto Rican and Dominican drivers). Some of the white drivers are really nice and some can be rather snobby and nasty, and many of the black drivers give the most attitude or can be the nastiest and downright rude.  I had a white guy going who I've had before on the BxM2 based on the mini detour he took (he takes Broadway after coming around Columbus Circle to avoid the traffic on Central Park South) and then comes around on 57th, which always confuses the hell out of the old Riverdale snobs.  They all look like they're going to have a heart attack. LOL Nice guy overall though.  Speaks, etc. when you speak to him.

Coming back I took the BxM2 as well from the Upper East Side.  Two buses came (this is the norm with the BxM2 of late Northbound for the last few months).  First one I get on and couldn't find my damn Metrocard so I got off since the bus was packed and I didn't want to get on and find out that my card had dropped out on the sidewalk especially since I had two weekly express passes on that one, so I said f*ck it since I knew another bus was coming and my hands were full with bags.  B/O waited a bit but I just couldn't find the damn card.  Eventually I realized it was in my jacket pocket just in time for the one that was lagging behind (per BusTime).  The guy I got on the second BxM2 was an older black guy who I get sometimes on the BxM1 who seems to be extremely grouchy.  Never says much (just looks at you like you're an alien even when you speak, and selects who he feels like being bothered with).

Some of the old school Yonkers guys must be from the Liberty days because they're extremely rude with younger riders like myself.  They will totally ignore you unless you are an old timer from the Liberty days, and I notice that a lot of younger male and some female passengers (regardless of race) simply refuse to speak to them, and I do the same when I get them. They have a click with the old timers though (mainly elderly men and women, some of whom can be extremely snobby with the younger folks on the bus). Luckily those drivers are slowly being phased out (retiring) and there are new younger drivers that are better mannered with more of the old timers staying that are nice (speak, are courteous, etc.).  We've gone through A LOT of drivers... A lot of young guys that weren't so professional and were fired, or were moved or transferred... Finally getting more professional friendly drivers...

Archived