QM2, QM20 or QM3 stop at CitiField

Via Garibaldi 8

Yeah had two black B/O's out of CP... Going I had a really nice guy... Asked me where I was going and asked if I minded him taking the LIE to avoid the traffic on Northern. I thanked him when I got off since he cut a good 15-20 minutes off of my commute. Coming back had a nice guy... Kneeled the bus, etc., spoke when I thanked him and wished me a happy holiday when I got off.

Yonkers is split these days... I'm actually cool with quite a few B/O's (mainly the Puerto Rican and Dominican drivers). Some of the white drivers are really nice and some can be rather snobby and nasty, and many of the black drivers give the most attitude or can be the nastiest and downright rude. I had a white guy going who I've had before on the BxM2 based on the mini detour he took (he takes Broadway after coming around Columbus Circle to avoid the traffic on Central Park South) and then comes around on 57th, which always confuses the hell out of the old Riverdale snobs. They all look like they're going to have a heart attack. LOL Nice guy overall though. Speaks, etc. when you speak to him.

Coming back I took the BxM2 as well from the Upper East Side. Two buses came (this is the norm with the BxM2 of late Northbound for the last few months). First one I get on and couldn't find my damn Metrocard so I got off since the bus was packed and I didn't want to get on and find out that my card had dropped out on the sidewalk especially since I had two weekly express passes on that one, so I said f*ck it since I knew another bus was coming and my hands were full with bags. B/O waited a bit but I just couldn't find the damn card. Eventually I realized it was in my jacket pocket just in time for the one that was lagging behind (per BusTime). The guy I got on the second BxM2 was an older black guy who I get sometimes on the BxM1 who seems to be extremely grouchy. Never says much (just looks at you like you're an alien even when you speak, and selects who he feels like being bothered with).

Some of the old school Yonkers guys must be from the Liberty days because they're extremely rude with younger riders like myself. They will totally ignore you unless you are an old timer from the Liberty days, and I notice that a lot of younger male and some female passengers (regardless of race) simply refuse to speak to them, and I do the same when I get them. They have a click with the old timers though (mainly elderly men and women, some of whom can be extremely snobby with the younger folks on the bus). Luckily those drivers are slowly being phased out (retiring) and there are new younger drivers that are better mannered with more of the old timers staying that are nice (speak, are courteous, etc.). We've gone through A LOT of drivers... A lot of young guys that weren't so professional and were fired, or were moved or transferred... Finally getting more professional friendly drivers...

I remember QM queensbound buses doing that many times when I tried em. Those operators put in work.

I took the BxM4 to Yankee once before a game to avoid the crowds on the (D). There were maybe 5 of us on the bus so it was totally worth it

In general, I agree that the MTA needs to think about integrating express service into the transportation network more, in terms of advertising and in terms of how it affects/is affected by subway and local buses (for example, if there is a major delay on a subway line, alert customers to the closest express bus line and put extra service on those lines). 

The only thing is that in order to have them increase express bus integration, there also has to be a service increase to advertise. When it comes to things such as game day events and such, 99.9% of the time folks will choose the subway over the express bus because of the time and convenience. Then you also have the issue where you have a whole mass of people who don't want to pay 6+ dollars for the Express Bus. It's a very risky thing because there's quite a lot of things that can go wrong if such advertising and integration doesn't even work as expected.

I mean, I'm all for things that can actually help express buses including the ones with dismal ridership(I still say some of those should get cut...i.e QM18), but for every pro, there is a con, sometimes a rather big one.

The only thing is that in order to have them increase express bus integration, there also has to be a service increase to advertise. When it comes to things such as game day events and such, 99.9% of the time folks will choose the subway over the express bus because of the time and convenience. Then you also have the issue where you have a whole mass of people who don't want to pay 6+ dollars for the Express Bus. It's a very risky thing because there's quite a lot of things that can go wrong if such advertising and integration doesn't even work as expected.

I mean, I'm all for things that can actually help express buses including the ones with dismal ridership(I still say some of those should get cut...i.e QM18), but for every pro, there is a con, sometimes a rather big one.

Queens IMO gets the least express bus service and needs it the most, given how poorly the local buses run to the subways.  Furthermore the LIRR has its own problems, though it's evident that the (MTA) wants more people using the LIRR and would like to cut express bus service further in Queens.  It's odd to me that the Bronx for example has better ridership overall on its line than many Queens express buses, when you would think there would be more households that could afford the express bus.  Then again I can't think of any ghetto subway lines in Queens that would really make people re-think taking it when they have the option vs the express bus.

Queens IMO gets the least express bus service and needs it the most, given how poorly the local buses run to the subways.  Furthermore the LIRR has its own problems, though it's evident that the (MTA) wants more people using the LIRR and would like to cut express bus service further in Queens.  It's odd to me that the Bronx for example has better ridership overall on its line than many Queens express buses, when you would think there would be more households that could afford the express bus.  Then again I can't think of any ghetto subway lines in Queens that would really make people re-think taking it when they have the option vs the express bus.

The local buses are fairly frequent; even on Union Tpke, a road that has a lot of QM service, local buses come approximately every 2 minutes during the rush hour.

The time savings is not that great; the X68 is an hour and ten minutes from end to end, but an (F) train and a bus will take you to there in an hour and six minutes. On top of that, for eastern Queens riders, Nassau buses are essentially a express of sorts; if you live close enough to the Nassau border, catching a Nassau bus is a non-stop trip between the county line and the subway that's fairly frequent and costs only $2.50, and taking those buses with the (F) is even faster.

The local buses are fairly frequent; even on Union Tpke, a road that has a lot of QM service, local buses come approximately every 2 minutes during the rush hour.

The time savings is not that great; the X68 is an hour and ten minutes from end to end, but an (F) train and a bus will take you to there in an hour and six minutes. On top of that, for eastern Queens riders, Nassau buses are essentially a express of sorts; if you live close enough to the Nassau border, catching a Nassau bus is a non-stop trip between the county line and the subway that's fairly frequent and costs only $2.50, and taking those buses with the (F) is even faster.

While that may be true, the more connections you need to make, the more likely you are to further elongate that commute.  All I hear from Queens riders is b*tching about the bus to subway connection, so let's not pretend like it's so peachy going that way.

X82 from 42nd street Bus terminal to Citi Field

Game Days only and picks people up at 8th Ave and 6th Ave then no stops until Citi Field. Does anyone think it's possible?

I think the (7) will still be the main choice and plus it's only $2.50. The LIRR is probably the second choice for anyone living out in Nassau. The poor (7) so dangerously packed on game days. Should have been built as a IND or BMT line where it could fit 10- 60ft subway cars.

Game Days only and picks people up at 8th Ave and 6th Ave then no stops until Citi Field. Does anyone think it's possible?

I think the (7) will still be the main choice and plus it's only $2.50. The LIRR is probably the second choice for anyone living out in Nassau. The poor (7) so dangerously packed on game days. Should have been built as a IND or BMT line where it could fit 10- 60ft subway cars.

I don't know... I would start it at 6th & 36th with the other QM buses and have it run someone in Northeast Queens to attract more riders.  Make it a super express with maybe 3 stops max and then off to Citi Field.  Problem is no way to avoid traffic... Does the LIE have an express bus lane?  This would give Northeast Queens more super express service, similar to the way Riverdale receives Downtown service by providing service to Bronx riders and Queens express bus riders.

I think the  (7) will still be the main choice and plus it's only $2.50. The LIRR is probably the second choice for anyone living out in Nassau. The poor  (7) so dangerously packed on game days. Should have been built as a IND or BMT line where it could fit 10- 60ft subway cars.

That's why they've implemented (7) Super Expresses. They only stop at Woodside, Queensboro Plaza, Court Square and the Manhattan Stations.

Queens IMO gets the least express bus service and needs it the most, given how poorly the local buses run to the subways.  Furthermore the LIRR has its own problems, though it's evident that the  (MTA) wants more people using the LIRR and would like to cut express bus service further in Queens.  It's odd to me that the Bronx for example has better ridership overall on its line than many Queens express buses, when you would think there would be more households that could afford the express bus.  Then again I can't think of any ghetto subway lines in Queens that would really make people re-think taking it when they have the option vs the express bus.

While that may be true, the more connections you need to make, the more likely you are to further elongate that commute.  All I hear from Queens riders is b*tching about the bus to subway connection, so let's not pretend like it's so peachy going that way.

The only folks I've heard such talk from are the ones that live out at Rosedale, Cambria Heights & Floral Park and some of those folks still gotta connect to the local bus. They're really the only ones that have that legitimate gripe because their services only run on the weekdays. They've also pushed for more service but only succeeded with 1-2 extra buses. Everywhere else, I've heard the need of better subway service because some folks who actually use the exp buses don't want to pay that fare.

Queens needs better subway service more than exp bus service. The only way I can advocate for better express bus service in Queens is if you cut the ones with the most dismal of ridership and use that as a way to improve others or add onto others that need it. 

Until then, what you think we need and what we actually need will forever be two different things. Can't add more without cutting other services.

That's why they've implemented (7) Super Expresses. They only stop at Woodside, Queensboro Plaza, Court Square and the Manhattan Stations.

The only folks I've heard such talk from are the ones that live out at Rosedale, Cambria Heights & Floral Park and some of those folks still gotta connect to the local bus. They're really the only ones that have that legitimate gripe because their services only run on the weekdays. They've also pushed for more service but only succeeded with 1-2 extra buses. Everywhere else, I've heard the need of better subway service because some folks who actually use the exp buses don't want to pay that fare.

Queens needs better subway service more than exp bus service. The only way I can advocate for better express bus service in Queens is if you cut the ones with the most dismal of ridership and use that as a way to improve others or add onto others that need it. 

Until then, what you think we need and what we actually need will forever be two different things. Can't add more without cutting other services.

That statement really only applies to Southeast Queens... Northeast Queens is more pro express bus, can afford the express bus and would tend to agree with me, especially since just about all of their express buses have seen growth, so there wouldn't be much to cut given their lack of subway access.  They have been pushing for more express buses, as shown by the press conference with the politicians requesting more service on the QM3, QM5, QM6 and QM8.  Those are really the areas I'm concerned about, as those areas care more about their express bus than other parts of Queens and actually use them.  The folks in Rosedale, Cambria Heights & Floral Park are the ones that wouldn't use their service much if it was expanded.  Not as much disposable income in those areas in comparison to many parts of Northeast Queens.  I would put them in the same boat as the QM21 riders... Another line that is slowly dying... I would also expand service to Neponsit on the QM16.  I would run maybe 1 - 2 more buses in the morning and in the evening for those who work later.  I would also run the QM15 with expanded Saturday service and Sunday service on par with what the QM5 and QM6 currently has.

I don't blame the TA for not promoting the express bus to Citi Field, the subway line that already serves it is getting a fancy new signal system that would allow them to run more trains, when its up and running then the TA can brag about how successful it is handling the increased ridership.

And the LIRR already has a station in the area, to casuals, LIRR/Subway >>>> Express bus, exp bus vulnerable to traffic, the trains are not. 

I don't think these types of routes would work in NYC... Not having a true express bus terminal in Manhattan really hurts things IMO, casuals are not gonna want to look for this route on the streets. NJT has a route like this for events at Metlife/Izod IIRC. 

I don't know, but 23 minutes to my destination on the BM5 sounds much quicker than 20 minutes alone on the Q47, another 25-30 minutes on the (F), and a 10 minute walk.

I would put them in the same boat as the QM21 riders... Another line that is slowly dying... I would also expand service to Neponsit on the QM16.  I would run maybe 1 - 2 more buses in the morning and in the evening for those who work later.  I would also run the QM15 with expanded Saturday service and Sunday service on par with what the QM5 and QM6 currently has.

MAYBE an extra round trip in the evening, but that's all there should be of any extra QM15 saturday service (for now). I don't mind the current QM15 schedule on Saturdays, however.

As for QM15 Sunday service, I agree, but what would be the schedule?

I don't blame the TA for not promoting the express bus to Citi Field, the subway line that already serves it is getting a fancy new signal system that would allow them to run more trains, when its up and running then the TA can brag about how successful it is handling the increased ridership.

And the LIRR already has a station in the area, to casuals, LIRR/Subway >>>> Express bus, exp bus vulnerable to traffic, the trains are not. 

Please... If the Yankees can have the BxM4, MNRR and subway, the Mets can have an express bus as well.

MAYBE an extra round trip in the evening, but that's all there should be of any extra QM15 saturday service (for now). I don't mind the current QM15 schedule on Saturdays, however.

As for QM15 Sunday service, I agree, but what would be the schedule?

I would run service to Manhattan until 21:00 on Saturdays and 20:00 on Sundays.  Last outbound trip would be 23:49 Saturday and 22:49 on Sunday.  The routing would only take about one hour and would provide those in Middle Village, Howard Beach, Lindenwood, and areas south with express bus service.  I wouldn't extend any trips to Broad Channel or Neponsit since those folks probably drive but it could be marketed to them if you could establish a park-and-ride set up.

You can't expect ridership to grow with such a ridiculous schedule on Saturdays.  I'm willing to bet that most of the growth is during the week.

Please... If the Yankees can have the BxM4, MNRR and subway, the Mets can have an express bus as well.

I would run service to Manhattan until 21:00 on Saturdays and 20:00 on Sundays. Last outbound trip would be 23:49 Saturday and 22:49 on Sunday. The routing would only take about one hour and would provide those in Middle Village, Howard Beach, Lindenwood, and areas south with express bus service. I wouldn't extend any trips to Broad Channel or Neponsit since those folks probably drive but it could be marketed to them if you could establish a park-and-ride set up.

You can't expect ridership to grow with such a ridiculous schedule on Saturdays. I'm willing to bet that most of the growth is during the week.

dude the Yankees games have no use for the BXM4 stop fooling yourself. Mnrr for premium yes they run extra trains no need for the TA to run extra EMPTY buses for no reason. Cait is right ain't nobody got time for the LIE'S crap when the super express (7) & LIRR is already there that is just plain waistful.

dude the Yankees games have no use for the BXM4 stop fooling yourself. Mnrr for premium yes they run extra trains no need for the TA to run extra EMPTY buses for no reason. Cait is right ain't nobody got time for the LIE'S crap when the super express (7) & LIRR is already there that is just plain waistful.

Please... The BxM4's biggest stop is 161st, not just for the Yankee games but also because all of the main courts are down there.  You can have 10 people get off of there easily.  The other biggest stop is probably 165th, followed by 237th and Katonah and 242nd.

I don't think these types of routes would work in NYC... Not having a true express bus terminal in Manhattan really hurts things IMO, casuals are not gonna want to look for this route on the streets. NJT has a route like this for events at Metlife/Izod IIRC.

traffic, fares and the <7> & LIRR kill any possibility of a successful Mets to Manhattan express bus I meant failure sorry.

Until then, what you think we need and what we actually need will forever be two different things. Can't add more without cutting other services.

ok you mean expanded subway service to eastern queens? MTA can get away with cutting QM18&21 but others which other QM lines have dismal ridership? I know they can easily abolish offpeak QM4 service.

I would run service to Manhattan until 21:00 on Saturdays and 20:00 on Sundays.  Last outbound trip would be 23:49 Saturday and 22:49 on Sunday.  The routing would only take about one hour and would provide those in Middle Village, Howard Beach, Lindenwood, and areas south with express bus service.  I wouldn't extend any trips to Broad Channel or Neponsit since those folks probably drive but it could be marketed to them if you could establish a park-and-ride set up.

You can't expect ridership to grow with such a ridiculous schedule on Saturdays.  I'm willing to bet that most of the growth is during the week.

If you think the current schedule is ridiculous, look at the Green Line Schedule for it ( 10 AM to Manhattan, 4 PM to Queens)

Anyways, if you're having the last trip from Manhattan at 11:49 PM, you might as well make the last outbound trip depart at 11 PM itself, since the bus turns into a lindenwood trip right after reaching manhattan (coming from Lindenwood).

I would just add buses piece by piece, because the MTA tends to do that. The MTA added a trip on the QM15 (the 5:49 PM used to be the last Queens bound bus, then they decided to add an extra round trip on both weekdays and weekends). I would extend it to no more than 8:49 PM. I think a 7:49 PM trip could work, but no more than that and an 8:49 trip. I think it was Lindenwood residents who didn't like the short operating hours of the QM15, so they pushed the weekday schedule from 11:30 AM to 5 PM (to Midtown, before extending it to 6 PM), from 9:44 AM instead of 12:30 PM to Queens (before also extending the last trip to 11:15 PM instead of 8:15 PM). Typically, the Saturday span should not be longer than the weekday span (in terms of the last bus outbound). So it would mean that the last QM15 trip would be at 10:49 PM from Manhattan, if such an expanded schedule was made.

As mentioned though, this would need to come out from cutting more express bus trips off the schedule, typically the "slacking" trips. And as long as Lindenwood doesn't complain about not having enough service and/or no sunday service, you won't really see much of an improvement, unless there's a sharp increase in ridership with the current trips given (which I find kinda retarded, but whatever). Any complaints you hear is that bus service is so unreliable, especially since the schedule is so tight with no room for traffic conditions or anything. At least there's a 57 minute layover on weekdays, on the weekends, instead of three buses, it's only two, with a 9 minute layover. Can't remember when was the last time the QM15 trip I take home was not 1hr+ late, and that affects all the other trips on the run (The problem isn't Queens, because the driver gets to Manhattan on time, the problem is 6th Avenue traffic in the 40's). That is also the reason I walk to the first stop, since my stop would be along 57th (and it would be painfully late, and crowded). I am guranteed a seat, and I get to sit for an hour and 20 minutes (I have an x-fer, so I could care less about the ride home, as long as I have a seat, and I get home). 

Going back to Sunday service. I would implement the current QM15 Saturday Schedule on Sundays too (minus the 7:00 AM trip) as a start. I could see the Lindenwood and Forest Hills riders using it. I would use it too, gives me an extra option instead of the Q67 to the (7) on Sunday (when it runs), and a more reliable one too. Not only that, but the walk to the QM15 is less than the walk to the Q67.

Aren't they supposed to be developing that area with new housing? Having the express bus there would help those residents if and when that happens.

For like the last 25 years...." Stop eminent domain " abuse....I've seen that sign up for years....

Great point....traffic around city field game days....forgetabout it!

Don't judge express bus or ferries by cover.

Even the baseball ferry service are successful, because ferry service will have faster ride since there's no traffic on East River or Harlem River.

I have been on BxM4 ride during the Yankees Game, when I was coming from Bronx and it does get good usage.

I have been on BxM4C when it used to run often before $7.50 fare hike and it had good amount of people going to Yonkers Raceway/Empire City Casino.

Please... The BxM4's biggest stop is 161st, not just for the Yankee games but also because all of the main courts are down there.  You can have 10 people get off of there easily.  The other biggest stop is probably 165th, followed by 237th and Katonah and 242nd.

I agreed.

Don't judge express bus or ferries by cover.

Even the baseball ferry service are successful, because ferry service will have faster ride since there's no traffic on East River or Harlem River.

I have been on BxM4 ride during the Yankees Game, when I was coming from Bronx and it does get good usage.

I have been on BxM4C when it used to run often before $7.50 fare hike and it had good amount of people going to Yonkers Raceway/Empire City Casino.

I agreed.

last I checked it is 2014 things change 4C has became useless. You can't defend useless. Once MTA let's bx1 ltd into Manhattan then even the 4 will become useless due to LTD service on M1&bx1 you don't get it vulnerable is vulnerable. Some can easily get erased or reduced without having much of an impact.

Archived