ADA Accessible Stations

This is more of a question than anything else, but what are the latest ADA Accessible Stations in the subway station, and is there a place that I can refer to to find this information.

And no, the NYC Subway Map is not reliable for this, because they don't always release a new map when a station is made accessible, and Wikipedia states that their information is up to date as of almost half a year ago.

I believe the last one was Kingsbridge Rd?

This is more of a question than anything else, but what are the latest ADA Accessible Stations in the subway station, and is there a place that I can refer to to find this information.

And no, the NYC Subway Map is not reliable for this, because they don't always release a new map when a station is made accessible, and Wikipedia states that their information is up to date as of almost half a year ago.

I believe the last one was Kingsbridge Rd?

If you google MTA wheelchair accessible stations, it's literally the first link. They don't have dates, but they do have a list of every ADA station that is up to date.

There's not really a way to keep track besides doing it manually, but I believe the latest 4 are Kingsbridge Road as mentioned, Hunts Point Av, Forest Hills-71 Av and Utica Av (A)(C)

Thanks. So I'm not missing any on my custom map. There were large announcements for Hunts Pt, Forest Hills, and Utica, but I didn't find out about Kingsbridge until I randomly happened upon it in Wikipedia.

• 2 months later...

I don't get why they haven't made 205 St ADA yet. It already has a ramp to the mezzanine level, so all it would need is ONE elevator to the street, and some platform work to make the boarding level, and it'd be done.

It's in a sh*t neighborhood that's why.  Never been in the station but from what I've seen from photos, it looks like a run down station.

The reason it's run down is because the MTA hasn't done anything about it.

On the note of ramps, How about Wilson Av? There are what, 4 steps? Honestly, I don't see how expensive a ramp for four steps is. Yeah, it's only one direction. But it's really easy to do.

On another note, what is the feasibility of ramps from mezzanine to platform level? I'm referring specifically to elevated stations with side platforms such as Rockaway Blvd (IND Liberty) and Woodhaven Blvd (BMT Jamaica), where you have large plazas or wide streets over which you could possibly put a ramp from the mezzanine to the platforms, and then have a single elevator to street level.

I say this because ramps don't break down and go out of service after a dog does its business in a corner and damages the wiring, and because they are cheaper to build (usually) and maintain. 

It's in a sh*t neighborhood that's why. Never been in the station but from what I've seen from photos, it looks like a run down station.

There is a hospital nearby (Montifore?) so it would make sense to make it ADA accessible.

The reason it's run down is because the MTA hasn't done anything about it.

On the note of ramps, How about Wilson Av? There are what, 4 steps? Honestly, I don't see how expensive a ramp for four steps is. Yeah, it's only one direction. But it's really easy to do.

On another note, what is the feasibility of ramps from mezzanine to platform level? I'm referring specifically to elevated stations with side platforms such as Rockaway Blvd (IND Liberty) and Woodhaven Blvd (BMT Jamaica), where you have large plazas or wide streets over which you could possibly put a ramp from the mezzanine to the platforms, and then have a single elevator to street level.

I say this because ramps don't break down and go out of service after a dog does its business in a corner and damages the wiring, and because they are cheaper to build (usually) and maintain.

Ramps have to be at a certain grade for ADA standards, so for 4 steps, the ramp would have to be long enough. I'm not saying it can't be done, but it would be a head scratcher.

Its about 4-5 steps from the street to the station, then another 3-4 steps to the Manhattan platform

There is a hospital nearby (Montifore?) so it would make sense to make it ADA accessible.

Yes, it would make sense.  I'm familiar with their complex as I work with them, but they tend to advocate the express bus and local bus in the area (BxM4, Bx10, etc.). The BxM10 gets A LOT of usage from their University campus (Albert Einstein College of Medicine) in Morris Park/Indian Village.

LMAO

The story of most of the Bronx...  <_<

Norwood a sh*t a neighborhood?

Yeah it was hit hard by the drug epidemic back in the day.  A private client of mine lives there and his car has been broken into at least three times.  He's a principal in a school in the South Bronx, but is too cheap to park in a garage and live in a safer area, but he has a very spacious two bedroom for about $1,700 a month.  I asked him is it really worth it when your car is basically ransacked every few months? lol

Montefiore has been the saving grace of the neighborhood... Kept it stable over the years investing in the area and buying up property.  The times that I've passed through there on the BxM4 it always had a sketchy look.  Quiet, but not in a good way... A lot of potential there, especially if the 205th street station got a rehab and the (D) had express service extended to run longer during the week and on weekends.

Well, the only (D) stations I would make wheelchair accessible (for now) are Tremont, Fordham, Bedford Park and 205. Fordham may be a little difficult due to the logistics. For 205, I would put an elevator at 206 and Bainbridge

Well, the only (D) stations I would make wheelchair accessible (for now) are Tremont, Fordham, Bedford Park and 205. Fordham may be a little difficult due to the logistics. For 205, I would put an elevator at 206 and Bainbridge

They're all disgusting and depressing quite frankly with the exception of the Yankee Stadium station, which was re-done recently.  I've used a few of them when I was on jury duty down by 161st street and couldn't get the BxM4.  167th is nasty, and the one by Fordham is equally disgusting.  The only decent stations along the line are the ones re-done in South Brooklyn and the ones that the (D) shares with other lines that were re-done recently.  Even the Bryant Park station could use a good cleaning.  Platforms are incredibly filthy considering the fact that they rehabbed that station.  The 47th-50th street station is repulsive too, and an embarrassment with it being dead smack in the financial area of Midtown with all the tourists that come through there.

I don't get why they haven't made 205 St ADA yet. It already has a ramp to the mezzanine level, so all it would need is ONE elevator to the street, and some platform work to make the boarding level, and it'd be done.

I agree, they could build the elevator next to the park. It shouldn't be too hard to do.

It's in a sh*t neighborhood that's why.  Never been in the station but from what I've seen from photos, it looks like a run down station.

The station is shit, but have you actually walked above the station and the neighborhood? It's actually kinda nice. The problem is they don't clean up after their dogs leaving dog shit here and there, but it's one of the safer areas i've passed thru.

If they managed to put elevators at Kingsbridge they can put elevators anywhere along the Concourse line.

At Fordham they can put the street elevator anywhere on the west side of the Concourse leading into the sealed passageway. But since the (4) train station at Fordham with the (D) train station at Kingsbridge together with the transfer station at 161 are all accessible, there's no rush for the (D) to have elevators at Fordham. Besides, I think the original 460 some-odd stations built before ADA was passed are grandfathered anyway (basically, any station built before ADA is currently not required by law to be accessible.)

I agree, they could build the elevator next to the park. It shouldn't be too hard to do.

The station is shit, but have you actually walked above the station and the neighborhood? It's actually kinda nice. The problem is they don't clean up after their dogs leaving dog shit here and there, but it's one of the safer areas i've passed thru.

Norwood has some nice parts.  The area near Mosholu Parkway that the BxM4 goes through and immediately by Montefiore is quite nice, but don't be fooled.  There are definitely some sketchy/seedy parts which is why the prices are what they are over there.  I would not go walking around there in a blasé manner without taking certain precautions.  Granted it's certainly not like the Norwood from the old days, nor anywhere near as bad as the South Bronx, but it definitely does suffer from crime problems.  When I was looking for a place in Riverdale, I came across an ad that claimed that the apartment was in Riverdale when it was in Norwood.  They were looking for candidates like me (credit-worthy, good income, young professional, etc.) and immediately responded once I gave them some general info about me, but once I found out it was in Norwood I said to myself there's no way in hell am I moving there, and wrote back to them stating that I was only interested in Riverdale and that was the last I heard from them. lol

Well of course, everywhere i go even in midtown manhattan, I always remain on guard. I'm just saying i walked a few blocks from the station to the parkway and over the pedestrian bridge over the mncr tracks and didn't have an issue. As far as the prices there, i wouldn't know as i am not looking to move to the bronx.

Well of course, everywhere i go even in midtown manhattan, I always remain on guard. I'm just saying i walked a few blocks from the station to the parkway and over the pedestrian bridge over the mncr tracks and didn't have an issue. As far as the prices there, i wouldn't know as i am not looking to move to the bronx.

lol... You would have to be living in a cave not to know that most of the Bronx is cheap in comparison to the other boroughs because of its past (and current history) with crime issues, but also transportation.  It's amazing that all of the good areas in the Bronx are not near subways and are more in line with Queens and Brooklyn in terms of prices, but most can be schlepp.  I don't know how you could venture into Norwood of all places, but not visit Riverdale.  It's like Scarsdale in NYC or the Upper East Side in the suburbs with door man buildings, townhouses and mansions all about. lol

Well, the only  (D) stations I would make wheelchair accessible (for now) are Tremont, Fordham, Bedford Park and 205. Fordham may be a little difficult due to the logistics. For 205, I would put an elevator at 206 and Bainbridge

Given the amount of traffic at the Fordham station, it would make sense to have one there.

I only ventured into the area just to see what it was like, nothing about moving there. I haven't ventured into the Bronx much in the past few years and with an unlimited card i wanted to walk a few blocks outside the station of a few Bronx lines including the 2/4/5 lines.

lol... That's just crazy... You should know that just about all of the Bronx neighborhoods with subway lines are pretty bad.  There's only a few exceptions I can think about (Pelham Bay and Morris Park), but those subways are not in the heart of the neighborhood and are on the edges so it's still not the same thing.  Pelham Parkway is much better away from the subway and Woodlawn doesn't count since you have to take a bus from Katonah Avenue to reach the subway, which is actually in Norwood despite being called "Woodlawn Station". 

Archived