Second Avenue subway may divert Q trains out of Astoria, leaving some Queens residents worried about

Union Tpke

It doesn't matter what trains it'll use, since it's almost a short turn (N) and is based from Coney Island....both the (N) and (W) need NTTs to allow flexibility at Ditmars Blvd anyway.

True but I mean where is the (MTA) going to get the extra NTTS for the (W) if the R179s are going to be mainly on the (C), (J) and (Z) to replace the oldest equipment in the system then where are the extra trains coming from?

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The reason why MTA selected the (Q) to run up Second Av. is because there is an increasingly high number of riders transferring to the (4)(5)(6). Especially at 14th Street.

How exactly do they track transfers on subways, especially at a station as big as Union Square? I'm curious to know the answer to that one. 

True but I mean where is the (MTA) going to get the extra NTTS for the (W) if the R179s are going to be mainly on the (C), (J) and (Z) to replace the oldest equipment in the system then where are the extra trains coming from?

The extra NTTs are the 5-car R179s though, fleet expansion.

Someone mentioned on here the (N)(W) might use a few R68/R68As due to no rollsign signage for 96th Street unless they add it in

They could slap a sticker on one of the unused destinations on the north roll, similar to what they did regarding 34 St-Hudson Yards on the 62As.

How exactly do they track transfers on subways, especially at a station as big as Union Square? I'm curious to know the answer to that one. 

Probably eye-balling it.

Currently, some rush hour (N)(Q) trains turn at TSQ or 57-7. Midday hours, they get stored on the express track inbetween 57-7 and TSQ. But with the (W) coming back, that will no longer happen. Instead, all the trains that used to turn at 57-7 will all go to Ditmas and 96 respectively. Those "short turn" (N) trains should probably lay up on the Astoria express tracks between the AM rush and PM rush if anything.

Currently, some rush hour (N)(Q) trains turn at TSQ or 57-7. Midday hours, they get stored on the express track inbetween 57-7 and TSQ. But with the (W) coming back, that will no longer happen. Instead, all the trains that used to turn at 57-7 will all go to Ditmas and 96 respectively. Those "short turn" (N) trains should probably lay up on the Astoria express tracks between the AM rush and PM rush if anything.

Some are also stored at City Hall lower level. I wonder how they are going to handle those short turns once SAS opens. 

Oh okay. I also think the (N) will continue to stop at 49 St (using the switches at HSQ and running express south of that station). Do they have a "punch box" at 5 Av-59 St at the west end of the southbound platform? If so, trains can punch either express or local, rather than the south end of the southbound platform at 57 St-7 Av. The switch has to be closer directly before the next station (57 St-7 Av) while leaving 5 Av-59 St, not directly after the next station (57 St-7 Av) while leaving 5 Av-59 St. I'm not sure if they have a "punch box" at the north end of 57 St-7 Av though. I honestly don't see the point in having the (N) stop at 49 St, because you already have the (R) and (W) doing the job (including 28 St, 23 St, 8 St-NYU, and Prince St), unless more and more people heading to/from Astoria actually use 49 St to reach nearby popular areas via that aforementioned station. I guess this is why the current (Q) (via Bway exp) stops at 49 St along with the two Bway locals, even though it uses the switches at HSQ.

Oh okay. I also think the (N) will continue to stop at 49 St (using the switches at HSQ and running express south of that station). Do they have a "punch box" at 5 Av-59 St at the west end of the southbound platform? If so, trains can punch either express or local, rather than the south end of the southbound platform at 57 St-7 Av. The switch has to be closer directly before the next station (57 St-7 Av) while leaving 5 Av-59 St, not directly after the next station (57 St-7 Av) while leaving 5 Av-59 St. I'm not sure if they have a "punch box" at the north end of 57 St-7 Av though. I honestly don't see the point in having the (N) stop at 49 St, because you already have the (R) and (W) doing the job (including 28 St, 23 St, 8 St-NYU, and Prince St), unless more and more people heading to/from Astoria actually use 49 St to reach nearby popular areas via that aforementioned station.

49th Street is a real busy stop which was why before the cuts the (N) would stop there

They should restore (N) express service because it would be a little congested down at 49 st if they add the (W) to supplement service on astoria and broadway they should restore express service for the (N)

Well like I said before the (W) was cut the (N) stopped at 49th Street at all times. And not for nothing right now (N)(Q)(R) stops at 49th Street all at once during the Weekdays.

I think another reason why the (N) stopped at 49 st weekdays before the cuts was to not delay terminating (Q) trains at 57 St.

Not really because you could switch north of 49th Street northbound back to the local track approaching 57th Street and southbound you can switch south of 57 to bypass 49th Street plus there were delays like the daily 34th Street hold ups that went on back then too

The (Q) won't be terminating at 57 - 7ave any more so there will be less delays along broadway so the (N) should be able to use the express tracks at 49 st along with the (Q) at all times and the (W) is should help out the (R) on 49 st with the crowding condition

Were the delays on Broadway more back before the cuts or after? 49 St gets pretty packed during weekdays especially since its near to Times Square. Having three Broadway services helps out.

Well if having three broadway services helps out then okay I'm just concerned what would happen if at train breaks down or any other problems happen at or south of 49 st on the local or the express track it would be a disaster having all four broadway services stop at 49 st

3 services, not 4. The (Q) will only run local in Manhattan at night, but fully Bway express during the day and eve.

I mean in case of a emergency if a train breaks down on the express track at or south of 49 st you would have to run all service local on broadway to 42 times square and there would be alot of congestion

I mean in case of a emergency if a train breaks down on the express track at or south of 49 st you would have to run all service local on broadway to 42 times square and there would be alot of congestion

But Queens Boulevard, 6th Avenue, Central Park West, Eastern Parkway, or, in the past, 7th Avenue, didn't have this issue? They all had/have 4 services.

But Queens Boulevard, 6th Avenue, Central Park West, Eastern Parkway, or, in the past, 7th Avenue, didn't have this issue? They all had/have 4 services.

I'm just wondering what would happen if there is an emergency, they would probably cut (W) service but where would all the trains from the (W) GO Coming From Astoria Would they turn the (W) trains To The (N) like they did back in the day and it worked for the queens blvd line and other services because they would have emergency terminals or yards to put the trains in while the (W) caretaker would be coney island yard but it goes nowhere near coney island

Or in an emergency, they could conceivably have the (Q) run via 6th Avenue once it's on the SAS as well as the (R) if space is available.

I'm just wondering what would happen if there is an emergency, they would probably cut W service but where would all the trains from the W GO Coming From Astoria Would they turn the W trains To The N like they did back in the day and it worked for the queens blvd line and other services because they would have emergency terminals or yards to put the trains in while the W caretaker would be coney island yard but it goes nowhere near coney island

The (N) and (W) both share the same equipment, northern terminal and facility though, so it's generally easy to get things back into service once anything disruptive is cleared up on the Broadway Line, since the (W) only runs 10 trainsets in service, by far the lowest amount of trainsets in service than all other lines (not counting the shuttles).

(Q) is fine I guess, but the (R), not when the (B) and (D) are running at the same time.

The (B) may even get suspended if there isn't enough space for a (Q).

Wouldn't it more likely be sent to Church Av, 2 Av, or via 4 Av to 9 Av (West End)? CPW still needs some form of local service other than the less-than-frequent (C)

Wouldn't it more likely be sent to Church Av, 2 Av, or via 4 Av to 9 Av (West End)? CPW still needs some form of local service other than the less-than-frequent (C).

Your right. Suspending the (B) is when there are problems on CPW. However, it's still possible that it MIGHT be suspended at times other than because of CPW problems.

Archived