Rider advocacy groups: We want new trains!

Besides that one person, no one is disagreeing that the R32s need to be replaced. The trouble is, there was a lot of problems that allowed them to stick around for as long as they did, and while there is a set time for when the cars will finally be put out to pasture, it gets tiring to listen to the same complaints over and over. It's the same as someone bragging about what they did - it might be something awesome, but going on and on about it does nothing to endear you to others. In much the same way, you are not incorrect about the R32s needing replacing, but bringing the topic up again and again doesn't make their replacements come along any quicker than if you sat quietly and patiently waited.

But I stand by what I said with regards to the R62 and R68 cars. They have 10-15 years of design life left, and the idea that someone who recognizes this lacks common sense is just incorrect. It would simply not make financial sense to unload the cars when by all accounts they are still decently reliable. It is worth nothing that in other parts of the world, much older rolling stock has been retrofitted with systems for clear, concise visual displays and automated announcements, so if the (MTA) really wanted to, there's not much that prevents them from doing so. And if they cleaned the light installations every now and then, the cars would be brighter as well...

As for your last comment, it's a far bigger problem than just the state of the R32s. You can be a fan of an old building or car, even if they are in crappy condition, and no one will say a word, but for some reason that's just not the case with old transit vehicles. Being a fan doesn't mean plugging your ears and thinking the cars should run forever, but you still can enjoy a ride on the cars, and if you told the average person that, they would look at you like you had grown two heads (as I have found out from reading loads of comments sections for newspaper articles).

In this case it makes sense for riders to complain because if they don't these cars won't be replaced and we'll be stuck with these damn things for God knows how long, and I can't wait to get rid of them. 

Those R68's may have 10 - 15 years left in them, but that doesn't mean they don't need an overhaul.

As for the last comment, believe it or not, we're all fans to a certain degree, but there's an understanding that the old has to go and we have to move to another chapter.  Having old rolling stock out for certain events is fine, but not for every day use and we need riders to be more vocal about our system being in better shape because as it stands it's a disaster.  We need to pour billions into infrastructure projects just to make the system decent and that's a big problem.

Trains don't get overhauls anymore. Those were done in the '80s to reverse the effects of 15+ years of deferred maintenance. As mentioned earlier, the ones pushing for retention of the 32s and 42s are either delusional or ignorant and I will not argue with the opinion that those cars need to be replaced sooner rather than later. The other cars, not so much. The 6X series of cars from the 80s have at least another decade of life in them. Prematurely replacing them would not only be a complete waste of funds the MTA doesn't have, but also probably get the agency in some sort of trouble with the feds. If I'm not mistaken, those cars were purchased in part by the federal government and they probably had the same expectation of 35-40 years back then as they do with today's cars. I'm pretty sure this has played a part in why the 110 test trains were parked in various yards for over a decade after being taken out of service.

Yes, federal government procurement conditions are very stringent, and if agreements are not followed, then the federal government can demand all of its money back. We saw that with the ARC tunnel in New Jersey, and we might see that with East Side Access depending on what happens with the Capital Plan.

Weren't they doing a study of what it would take to put automated announcements and line displays on the R62s and R68s?

.....especially when I'm on a packed train with no damn air conditioning that stinks.

Growing problem system-wide, AFAIC.... On both fronts.

Glad I no longer have to rely on the subway to get to/from work (I'm not even being on no elitist BS with that either, for anyone else reading)..... I refuse to ride to Atlantic Terminal & find myself standing from Atlantic to (at least) Franklin to get to Church on the 2... PM rush was already a PITA getting on a 2 at Atlantic, and now with the hipster crowd adding to the crowding, riding generally b/w Atlantic & Eastern Pkwy - Bklyn. Museum, forget it.... You find yourself having to let 1 or even 2 trains go before you can even get on (if you don't want to sardine your ass into one of the cars, I mean)..... On top of that, having faint, or no AC does not help matters......

Come to think of it, I do not remember the last time I rode the LIRR to Atlantic Term. coming home.... Sure I can take the B/Q if I wanted, but to be frank, I don't want to be bothered with the crowds that either are walking like chickens with their heads cut off, or walking slow, looking befuddled, as if they want to stop & ask someone a question (like... uhh, where is the barkley's center), but don't, in fear of getting knocked over by said people who I categorize that walk like chickens with their heads cut off.....

I'm going to call a spade, a spade... This over-patronization of the subway is going to greatly bite the MTA in the ass, sooner or later, if it isn't beginning to already...... People have thresholds/breaking points & are not going to always put up with the status quo - Even to such measures of leaving (moving out) of the city because of it, which is definitely going on.....

Unjustified or not, whimpering about new trains is a moot point to me..... I bet money that it is these new age hipsters/transients that are leading the charge with this, and not us natives - because the lot of us are too busy giving a shit about simply getting to/from work, over whether a god damn R32 or a god damn R179 shows up... The same ones that want the LIRR LIC Yard gone... The same ones that want a 1 seat ride from LIRR Jamaica to "the barkley's center"....

I'm out of here.... The thread I'm talking about.... and it won't be too long before I'm out this city either....

Someone said it on here earlier on in the week; this city's gone to the dogs.

Growing problem system-wide, AFAIC.... On both fronts.

Glad I no longer have to rely on the subway to get to/from work (I'm not even being on no elitist BS with that either, for anyone else reading)..... I refuse to ride to Atlantic Terminal & find myself standing from Atlantic to (at least) Franklin to get to Church on the 2... PM rush was already a PITA getting on a 2 at Atlantic, and now with the hipster crowd adding to the crowding, riding generally b/w Atlantic & Eastern Pkwy - Bklyn. Museum, forget it.... You find yourself having to let 1 or even 2 trains go before you can even get on (if you don't want to sardine your ass into one of the cars, I mean)..... On top of that, having faint, or no AC does not help matters......

Come to think of it, I do not remember the last time I rode the LIRR to Atlantic Term. coming home.... Sure I can take the B/Q if I wanted, but to be frank, I don't want to be bothered with the crowds that either are walking like chickens with their heads cut off, or walking slow, looking befuddled, as if they want to stop & ask someone a question (like... uhh, where is the barkley's center), but don't, in fear of getting knocked over by said people who I categorize that walk like chickens with their heads cut off.....

I'm going to call a spade, a spade... This over-patronization of the subway is going to greatly bite the MTA in the ass, sooner or later, if it isn't beginning to already...... People have thresholds/breaking points & are not going to always put up with the status quo - Even to such measures of leaving (moving out) of the city because of it, which is definitely going on.....

Unjustified or not, whimpering about new trains is a moot point to me..... I bet money that it is these new age hipsters/transients that are leading the charge with this, and not us natives - because the lot of us are too busy giving a shit about simply getting to/from work, over whether a god damn R32 or a god damn R179 shows up... The same ones that want the LIRR LIC Yard gone... The same ones that want a 1 seat ride from LIRR Jamaica to "the barkley's center"....

I'm out of here.... The thread I'm talking about.... and it won't be too long before I'm out this city either....

Someone said it on here earlier on in the week; this city's gone to the dogs.

lol... I said that... But yeah the crowding is becoming ridiculous...

IMO the (A) and (C) definitely need an upgrade (specifically the (A)) they both are prone to delays along fulton st and CPW those R46s on the (A) suck they are very irregular IMO when the R179s come they should put them on the (A) and push the R46s to the (C) the t/a never promised new equipment for them anyway remember they did say that the (C) might get less old cars in the future

Have you forgotten that an 8-car train of R179s are shorter than an 8-car train of R46s? They carry less passengers per train - and I'm pretty sure more people are going for the full-time line rather than the part-time line. To make things worse, you would have straphangers running for the A just like what C riders already do now.

It's possible for the A to get the 179s, but it can only get five sets (contract calls for 40 cars to be assembled into five full-length trains). The rest will have to go on the C, or lines similar to the C (the J,M, and the Z).

IMO the (A) and (C) definitely need an upgrade (specifically the (A)) they both are prone to delays along fulton st and CPW those R46s on the (A) suck they are very irregular IMO when the R179s come they should put them on the (A) and push the R46s to the (C) the t/a never promised new equipment for them anyway remember they did say that the (C) might get less old cars in the future

How are they delayed in Brooklyn? They don't share tracks with each other at all except when they get to Hoyt-Schermerhorn Streets. And the (S) Rockaway Park Shuttle runs at abysmal headways. If there are any delays on the lines, then they are located at 145th Street, 59th Street-Columbus Circle, or Canal Street because of the merging with the other lines at those stations, but not really much elsewhere. The drawbridges across Jamaica Bay and the Atlantic Ocean also seems to have alot of problems during the winter. The (A), however, is indeed prone to bunching and gaps in service, I'll give you that.

Well apparently you don't ride them enough because I've seen plenty of crowded (A) trains during off-peak hours and other trains for that matter.  Trains shouldn't be crushloaded during the off-peak anyway.  The fact that are lines like that just shows how pathetic the subway system is.  A few Sundays ago I had the "pleasure" of riding a packed (D) train as I tried to figure out where my express bus was running.  Was a "fantastic" ride, especially 34th street with the wonderful packed platforms and water leaks everywhere. <_<

Like I said in the second page of this thread, it's pretty obvious that track/signal work and flagging or construction affect service on all lines anyway. But yes, that's not necessarily the only thing. Obviously, weekend ridership is growing fast. I'm not trying to say that it's highly unlikely to see a train crowded during the non-rush hour periods, but even if the (A) runs at most 10 minutes during the off-peak and is still crowded (not crushloaded), who the hell is to say the (C) can't handle the extra load? Sure some service isn't a bad idea at all, but isn't it the point that keeping trains crowded (not crushloaded) saves money though?

I mean much of the crowds I've seen are in Brooklyn and/or Manhattan. During the off-peak, sometimes the (A) is crowded. Some other times, it's less crowded. Some other times, it's just the seats being all filled up. Some other times, it can be empty. The (A) is always prone to bunching and gaping, partly because it's the longest line in the system (between Inwood and Far Rockaway).

I think trains end up crowded during the off-hours probably because people may be going to other places besides work and school. I'm not quite sure. Look, I get that you're frustrated about the system. I myself am too. Yes, there really is no reason why trains should be overcrowded during the off-peak, but I'm sure it could be mostly because of lateness.

How are they delayed in Brooklyn? They don't share tracks with each other at all except when they get to Hoyt-Schermerhorn Streets. And the (S) Rockaway Park Shuttle runs at abysmal headways. If there are any delays on the lines, then they are located at 145th Street, 59th Street-Columbus Circle, or Canal Street because of the merging with the other lines at those stations, but not really much elsewhere. The drawbridges across Jamaica Bay and the Atlantic Ocean also seems to have alot of problems during the winter. The (A), however, is indeed prone to bunching and gaps in service, I'll give you that.

they are delayed alot in bklyn because of signal problems timers and breakdowns I know the (C) doesn't have as many timers as the (A) but it also prone to delays due to breakdowns and at certain sections it does share tracks with the (A) (Cranberry street tube)

Have you forgotten that an 8-car train of R179s are shorter than an 8-car train of R46s? They carry less passengers per train - and I'm pretty sure more people are going for the full-time line rather than the part-time line. To make things worse, you would have straphangers running for the A just like what C riders already do now.

It's possible for the A to get the 179s, but it can only get five sets (contract calls for 40 cars to be assembled into five full-length trains). The rest will have to go on the C, or lines similar to the C (the J,M, and the Z).

I'm talking making the R179s full length the R179s aren't here yet the (MTA) should be smart about where they put them

they are delayed alot in bklyn because of signal problems timers and breakdowns I know the (C) doesn't have as many timers as the (A) but it also prone to delays due to breakdowns and at certain sections it does share tracks with the (A) (Cranberry street tube)

I'm talking making the R179s full length the R179s aren't here yet the (MTA) should be smart about where they put them

Its already ordered. It's too late.

Like I said in the second page of this thread, it's pretty obvious that track/signal work and flagging or construction affect service on all lines anyway. But yes, that's not necessarily the only thing. Obviously, weekend ridership is growing fast. I'm not trying to say that it's highly unlikely to see a train crowded during the non-rush hour periods, but even if the (A) runs at most 10 minutes during the off-peak and is still crowded (not crushloaded), who the hell is to say the (C) can't handle the extra load? Sure some service isn't a bad idea at all, but isn't it the point that keeping trains crowded (not crushloaded) saves money though?

I mean much of the crowds I've seen are in Brooklyn and/or Manhattan. During the off-peak, sometimes the (A) is crowded. Some other times, it's less crowded. Some other times, it's just the seats being all filled up. Some other times, it can be empty. The (A) is always prone to bunching and gaping, partly because it's the longest line in the system (between Inwood and Far Rockaway).

I think trains end up crowded during the off-hours probably because people may be going to other places besides work and school. I'm not quite sure. Look, I get that you're frustrated about the system. I myself am too. Yes, there really is no reason why trains should be overcrowded during the off-peak, but I'm sure it could be mostly because of lateness.

Actually, anytime I ride the (A) train (weekends included), it's always crowded when you get on the train.  :mellow:

People want the (A) more than the (C) overall, but when they do use the (C) they would like cars from this century.   When I was in college I used to work by 8th and 34th and used the (A) and (C) daily to get to the (4)(5) to make my way to the SI Ferry.  The (C) was a last resort, but the (A) ran in such a way that if you missed one, you knew you may be waiting a while, as two can come back to back with nothing for a while afterwards. That was several years ago, and I don't think that has changed much.  The (MTA) knows the deal with the (C). It's used when it has to be.  I have been using the subway for a good 15 - 20 years and have used every line, so my attitude towards the system didn't just start overnight.  It's developed over the years from use and seeing neglect of the system.

Both lines need new cars, period. The same delays have existed for many years now and that needs to change.

People want the (A) more than the (C) overall, but when they do use the (C) they would like cars from this century.   When I was in college I used to work by 8th and 34th and used the (A) and (C) daily to get to the (4)(5) to make my way to the SI Ferry.  The (C) was a last resort, but the (A) ran in such a way that if you missed one, you knew you may be waiting a while, as two can come back to back with nothing for a while afterwards. That was several years ago, and I don't think that has changed much.  The (MTA) knows the deal with the (C). It's used when it has to be.  I have been using the subway for a good 15 - 20 years and have used every line, so my attitude towards the system didn't just start overnight.  It's developed over the years from use and seeing neglect of the system.

Both lines need new cars, period. The same delays have existed for many years now and that needs to change.

There are 4-car R160's running on the (C) right now... 

People want the (A) more than the (C) overall, but when they do use the (C) they would like cars from this century. When I was in college I used to work by 8th and 34th and used the (A) and (C) daily to get to the (4)(5) to make my way to the SI Ferry. The (C) was a last resort, but the (A) ran in such a way that if you missed one, you knew you may be waiting a while, as two can come back to back with nothing for a while afterwards. That was several years ago, and I don't think that has changed much. The (MTA) knows the deal with the (C). It's used when it has to be. I have been using the subway for a good 15 - 20 years and have used every line, so my attitude towards the system didn't just start overnight. It's developed over the years from use and seeing neglect of the system.

Maybe that can change with some reliable equipment on the lines that's what I'm saying the (A) and (C) riders deserve it

The C does not run 4 car trains let it be R32's or R160's.  Every line, except the weekend/midnight OPTO lines, run maximum length trains 24/7 for their line.

I believe 4-car R160s is used to differentiate between the different types of R160s, which can be coupled in sets of four or five.

Also, the (G) would like to have a word with you.

I think an important point is being missed--they took to the subway to highlight what will happen if Albany does not fund the budget.

One of those things is the R211 NOT being ordered and lines staying with the older cars. There will be other consequences as well.

That's what the 'funeral' is about.

It's amazing that the MTA cannot get the funding it needs, both from the state and the feds. For such an important local, national and global economic driver, that's a shame.

This won't portend well for the near future.

You can't have proper maintenance and upkeep if there's no money to do so.

they are delayed alot in bklyn because of signal problems timers and breakdowns I know the C doesn't have as many timers as the A but it also prone to delays due to breakdowns and at certain sections it does share tracks with the A (Cranberry street tube)

I'm talking making the R179s full length the R179s aren't here yet the MTA should be smart about where they put them

What "signal problems timers"? Timers are all about safety. Timers are never meant to slow down service. Timers are installed to protect trains depending if the track is going downhill, uphill, sharp curves, to protect switches directly before the train arrives at a station, and to prevent trains from overrunning a station depending if the track is going downhill or uphill. Timers don't have an impact on a line's frequency, time performance nor the printed schedules online. That's incorrect.

For example, the timers south of High Street are to protect the curve and downhill, as well as to protect southbound trains from roaring into the station at 35-40 miles per hour. Southbound trains entering Jay Street on the Fulton Street Line track only get to around 30-32 miles per hour and that's it. As for the breakdown sentence, every train is prone to breaking down in the fleet. Once again, that's universal for every line. I mean you do realize that the R143s actually have the same breakdown rates as the R46s if I'm not mistaken? Yeah yeah, I know there's a difference between the two cars and the lines they run on respectively. Anyway, obviously a train "breaking down" means it will be late.

Actually, anytime I ride the A train (weekends included), it's always crowded when you get on the train.  :mellow:

Everyone in general has a different perspective depending on what time they take the subway. I'm not quite sure if you ride the aforementioned line regularly as I do, but saying that "anytime I ride the A train, it's always crowded" is meaningless. Seriously, how can you think the (A) is always crowded regardless that when people are working or are not working?

The same thing goes for every other line. I can understand that maybe people are going to places of interests in the city (such as Central Park, Museum of Natural History, Yankee Stadium, beaches, pools etc) though. But I mean seriously, Manhattan is obviously the most densely populated of the five boroughs of New York City here. However, if many Rockaway, Broad Channel, Howard Beach, Ozone Park, East New York, Inwood, and Washington Heights residents are already at work or are off from work, why would the (A) be "crowded" or "crushloaded" judging from your perspective?

People want the A more than the C overall, but when they do use the C they would like cars from this century.   When I was in college I used to work by 8th and 34th and used the A and C daily to get to the 4 5 to make my way to the SI Ferry.  The C was a last resort, but the A ran in such a way that if you missed one, you knew you may be waiting a while, as two can come back to back with nothing for a while afterwards. That was several years ago, and I don't think that has changed much.  The MTA knows the deal with the C. It's used when it has to be.  I have been using the subway for a good 15 - 20 years and have used every line, so my attitude towards the system didn't just start overnight.  It's developed over the years from use and seeing neglect of the system.

Well waiting 5 or 10 minutes for any line in the system during the off-peak isn't bad, specifically the non-isolated lines. We just gotta understand that the subway is complex as it is. Sometimes, it's not really a good idea to have all trains be evenly spaced apart, and I'm talking sharing tracks with other lines in the system.

Here's a clear example, I don't think it's a bad idea to have the (2) come immediately right behind the (3) in both directions at all times of the day, because that way, crowds are even. Anybody that are traveling within Manhattan can get on the latter, while anybody traveling to the Bronx can get on the former. This is northbound (or uptown). As for southbound (or downtown), the (2) is already crowded from all of the stops it makes in the Bronx while the (3) has only picked up people at two stops. If the latter comes first, then anybody traveling within Manhattan can get on that aforementioned train, allowing the former to loose its passengers.

If both of those two aforementioned lines were to be evenly spaced apart (or if the (2) comes first before the (3) immediately behind it does), then that actually leads to more boarding and dwelling delays for the former because then, some people that need to get from the west side to the Bronx (having already waited up to 5 or 10 minutes for their (2) train) would be left behind on the platforms and have to wait an additional 5 or 10 minutes. Likewise heading downtown on the west side, people that are coming from the Bronx are now getting off the train and at the same time, people that are traveling within Manhattan are getting on the train afterwards.

That's part of the reason why everything should be fair when it comes to headway and interaction with other lines for the above reasons. Of course I know I can be wrong about it though.

What "signal problems timers"? Timers are all about safety. Timers are never meant to slow down service. Timers are installed to protect trains depending if the track is going downhill, uphill, sharp curves, to protect switches directly before the train arrives at a station, and to prevent trains from overrunning a station depending if the track is going downhill or uphill. Timers don't have an impact on a line's frequency, time performance nor the printed schedules online. That's incorrect.

For example, the timers south of High Street are to protect the curve and downhill, as well as to protect southbound trains from roaring into the station at 35-40 miles per hour. Southbound trains entering Jay Street on the Fulton Street Line track only get to around 30-32 miles per hour and that's it. As for the breakdown sentence, every train is prone to breaking down in the fleet. Once again, that's universal for every line. I mean you do realize that the R143s actually have the same breakdown rates as the R46s if I'm not mistaken? Yeah yeah, I know there's a difference between the two cars and the lines they run on respectively. Anyway, obviously a train "breaking down" means it will be late.

Everyone in general has a different perspective depending on what time they take the subway. I'm not quite sure if you ride the aforementioned line regularly as I do, but saying that "anytime I ride the A train, it's always crowded" is meaningless. Seriously, how can you think the (A) is always crowded regardless that when people are working or are not working?

The same thing goes for every other line. I can understand that maybe people are going to places of interests in the city (such as Central Park, Museum of Natural History, Yankee Stadium, beaches, pools etc) though. But I mean seriously, Manhattan is obviously the most densely populated of the five boroughs of New York City here. However, if many Rockaway, Broad Channel, Howard Beach, Ozone Park, East New York, Inwood, and Washington Heights residents are already at work or are off from work, why would the (A) be "crowded" or "crushloaded" judging from your perspective?

Well waiting 5 or 10 minutes for any line in the system during the off-peak isn't bad, specifically the non-isolated lines. We just gotta understand that the subway is complex as it is. Sometimes, it's not really a good idea to have all trains be evenly spaced apart, and I'm talking sharing tracks with other lines in the system.

Here's a clear example, I don't think it's a bad idea to have the (2) come immediately right behind the (3) in both directions at all times of the day, because that way, crowds are even. Anybody that are traveling within Manhattan can get on the latter, while anybody traveling to the Bronx can get on the former. This is northbound (or uptown). As for southbound (or downtown), the (2) is already crowded from all of the stops it makes in the Bronx while the (3) has only picked up people at two stops. If the latter comes first, then anybody traveling within Manhattan can get on that aforementioned train, allowing the former to loose its passengers.

If both of those two aforementioned lines were to be evenly spaced apart (or if the (2) comes first before the (3) immediately behind it does), then that actually leads to more boarding and dwelling delays for the former because then, some people that need to get from the west side to the Bronx (having already waited up to 5 or 10 minutes for their (2) train) would be left behind on the platforms and have to wait an additional 5 or 10 minutes. Likewise heading downtown on the west side, people that are coming from the Bronx are now getting off the train and at the same time, people that are traveling within Manhattan are getting on the train afterwards.

That's part of the reason why everything should be fair when it comes to headway and interaction with other lines for the above reasons. Of course I know I can be wrong about it though.

The (2) and the (3) is a completely different topic, but despite the (3) working to supplement the (2) the (2) is needed more than the (3) since it serves the Bronx.    They should extend some (3) 's where possible.

Archived