Rider advocacy groups: We want new trains!

So, the rider advocacy groups we know of (Riders Alliance, Straphangers Campaign, etc.) has been pushing the  (MTA) for new subway cars to replace the R32, and R46 subway cars that are running on the (A) and  (C), as well as among other lines (generally in the R46, the (F) and (R) for example). 

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/funeral-held-push-new-mta-subway-cars-article-1.2254227

http://www.amny.com/transit/a-c-lines-need-better-service-riders-demand-at-rally-1.10518208

http://www.metro.us/new-york/straphangers-campaign-holds-funeral-for-improved-subway-cars/zsJofj---6oDwivRi2Ubg/

http://www.dnainfo.com/new-york/20150605/bed-stuy/straphangers-demand-improvements-c-train-by-dressing-1960s-garb

What do you think about this? 

So, the rider advocacy groups we know of (Riders Alliance, Straphangers Campaign, etc.) has been pushing the  (MTA) for new subway cars to replace the R32, and R46 subway cars that are running on the (A) and  (C), as well as among other lines (generally in the R46, the (F) and (R) for example). 

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/funeral-held-push-new-mta-subway-cars-article-1.2254227

http://www.amny.com/transit/a-c-lines-need-better-service-riders-demand-at-rally-1.10518208

http://www.metro.us/new-york/straphangers-campaign-holds-funeral-for-improved-subway-cars/zsJofj---6oDwivRi2Ubg/

http://www.dnainfo.com/new-york/20150605/bed-stuy/straphangers-demand-improvements-c-train-by-dressing-1960s-garb

What do you think about this? 

Money talks.

So, the rider advocacy groups we know of (Riders Alliance, Straphangers Campaign, etc.) has been pushing....

It's their job to push for things, but not necessarily to let those things happen.  The first rule of politics is that complaining about a problem is always better than actually solving it — after a problem is solved, it's no longer there to complain and campaign and fund-raise about later.

It's their job to push for things, but not necessarily to let those things happen.  The first rule of politics is that complaining about a problem is always better than actually solving it — after a problem is solved, it's no longer there to complain and campaign and fund-raise about later.

Quite true but this is because of the entitlement mentality.  I rode the original equipment of the system from IRT LoV to BMT standards and IND R1-9.  Even rode on BMT Q cars on some lines.  I was happy a train came and the doors opened.  To listen to a demand they get new cars  on equipment that good as they presently have is something from the farside.  Money doesn't grow on trees and they want everything which can't be done.  Stuff has plenty of life in it and if something goes wrong they will be using it for another 20 years.

There's no reason to replace them now. The 32s and 46s are still holding their own (granted a couple of 32s have A/C issues). This seems pretty dumb to me

I beg to differ.

The (A) is busy until 11:30 a.m.-12:00 p.m.? That's news to me.

You need to get out more.  Most subways are quite busy at that time.

Blah blah blah.... WIth the same old line... I don't need some advocacy group to call for new trains in the 21st century.  We need new trains on the (A)(C)(B) and (D).  The cars STINK (literally), the AC sucks, and the (B) and (D) in particular are just dark and depressing.  The announcements are either garbled or are killing my ears from being too loud, and the cars sway far more than the newer cars.  I took the (C) last Wednesday from uptown to get down to the express bus (BxM2) to head home, and it was a breath of fresh air because it was one of the newer trains that they took from the (J)(Z) line.  Nice air conditioning, bright car, not terribly dirty, announcements that could be heard and weren't too loud... Yeah a car that we should be riding in 2015.... <_< The other thing that is needed desperately are more station renovations. Just about all of the stations along the (A)(C)(B)(D) lines are absolutely disgusting once you go past Columbus Circle.  It's amazing to be on the Upper West Side and see stations in such deplorable conditions.  The only exception is 81st street and Central Park West, and even that station could use a good power wash.

I'm actually celebrating the fact that I won't have to use the subway anymore for a while after next week, as my tutoring sessions will all shift to places where I can use Metro-North or the express bus. This year I've managed to have all of my sessions in areas where I don't have to take the subway but just once a week and it's been fantastic.

Quite true but this is because of the entitlement mentality.  I rode the original equipment of the system from IRT LoV to BMT standards and IND R1-9.  Even rode on BMT Q cars on some lines.  I was happy a train came and the doors opened.  To listen to a demand they get new cars  on equipment that good as they presently have is something from the farside.  Money doesn't grow on trees and they want everything which can't be done.  Stuff has plenty of life in it and if something goes wrong they will be using it for another 20 years.

Happy a train came that you're tax dollars is going towards? Please.  These are services we're paying for and we need new trains. 

The R68/68A are not due to be replaced till 2025..............and the way things are going with funding, add at least 5 years to that.

Andy Boy keeps his distance from the MTA.

I remember riding those trains as a kid.  Back then they were actually nice, but it's time for those trains to go.  2025 is another 10 years away, and I will certainly be happy to see them along with the other old trains go.

VG8, don't you dare tell me that I should get out more, okay? I've been riding the (A) and (J) fairly regularly for 5 years now, especially during the off-peak, and they have been at most less crowded or just the seats being all filled. If there's a large gap in service, yeah, they'll be crowded. I've also been on the (2), (3), (4) and (5) all my life. If a line is interacted with one, two or three other lines along the way, then obviously there's no need to be running more off-peak service, especially when people are already at work/school or are off from work/school. I have yet to ride a so-called crushloaded (A) train during the off-peak.

I don't mind the (7), (L) and the (S) 42nd Street Shuttle running 12 trains an hour during the off-peak though, since they are the system's isolated lines. I also don't mind the (1) and (6) running 12 trains an hour during middays and evenings, though weekends is a different story. I also don't mind having the (E) and (F) running 9-10 trains an hour during middays and evenings, because of the buses they connect to in Queens and people needing short waiting time and trying to get to where they really have to go, but weekends is a different story. As for the rest of the other lines in the system, they should all be equalized to 10 minute headways during the entire midday, evening and weekend periods, primarily because of the interacting, merging, and complexity and most importantly, construction work that affect pretty much every non-isolated line in the system. The transit agency is probably never likely to stop with the track/signal work and flagging during middays and weekends, especially on weekends. Again, all lines get affected by this anyway. It's not just the cars and timers or whatever that plagues the lines.

Blah blah blah.... WIth the same old line... I don't need some advocacy group to call for new trains in the 21st century. We need new trains on the (A)(C)(B) and (D). The cars STINK (literally), the AC sucks, and the (B) and (D) in particular are just dark and depressing. The announcements are either garbled or are killing my ears from being too loud, and the cars sway far more than the newer cars. I took the (C) last Wednesday from uptown to get down to the express bus (BxM2) to head home, and it was a breath of fresh air because it was one of the newer trains that they took from the (J)(Z) line. Nice air conditioning, bright car, not terribly dirty, announcements that could be heard and weren't too loud... Yeah a car that we should be riding in 2015.... <_< The other thing that is needed desperately are more station renovations. Just about all of the stations along the (A)(C)(B)(D) lines are absolutely disgusting once you go past Columbus Circle. It's amazing to be on the Upper West Side and see stations in such deplorable conditions. The only exception is 81st street and Central Park West, and even that station could use a good power wash.

Since you're rich, how about you fork over the money to the (MTA) so that maybe they can soon really change the crowding problems and delays in the subway system? If you can't, especially since you sometimes don't use the subway as you stated from time to time, then you're just gonna have to deal with it and get over it. The subway isn't your personal transportation. Neither is it my personal transportation. What else can we both do? Nothing except sit back and wait.

Since you're rich, how about you fork over the money to the (MTA) so that maybe you can get all the so-called new stuff you've hoped for? If you can't, especially since you sometimes don't use the subway as you stated from time to time, then you're just gonna have to deal with it and get over it. The subway isn't your personal transportation.

I don't need to fork over anything.  I along with millions of other riders already give money to the (MTA) which they mismanage.  Asking for new cars is a necessity.  We need cars that are from the 21st century, and thankfully people with common sense that actually aren't subway fans but actually use the damn things for work, etc. understand this. 

VG8, don't you dare tell me that I should get out more, okay? I've been riding the (A) and (J) fairly regularly for 5 years now, especially during the off-peak, and they have been at most less crowded or just the seats being all filled. If there's a large gap in service, yeah, they'll be crowded. I've also been on the (2), (3), (4) and (5) all my life. If a line is interacted with one, two or three other lines along the way, then obviously there's no need to be running more off-peak service, especially when people are already at work/school or are off from work/school. I have yet to ride a so-called crushloaded (A) train during the off-peak.

Well apparently you don't ride them enough because I've seen plenty of crowded (A) trains during off-peak hours and other trains for that matter.  Trains shouldn't be crushloaded during the off-peak anyway.  The fact that are lines like that just shows how pathetic the subway system is.  A few Sundays ago I had the "pleasure" of riding a packed (D) train as I tried to figure out where my express bus was running.  Was a "fantastic" ride, especially 34th street with the wonderful packed platforms and water leaks everywhere. <_<

I don't need to fork over anything. I along with millions of other riders already give money to the (MTA) which they mismanage. Asking for new cars is a necessity. We need cars that are from the 21st century, and thankfully people with common sense that actually aren't subway fans but actually use the damn things for work, etc. understand this.

You think I'm the so-called fan of the subway that I once was? Not anymore. And not even in the slightest either. I go from experience when it comes to ridership, waiting time and construction work. I don't give a ratass about the cars running on whatever lines, unlike you.

As for your other comment, you know as well as I do that the (A) is prone to bunching and gaps in service. But if it runs regularly, chances are it'll be less crowded or just the seats being all filled up. Yes, I've seen this, many, many, many times whenever I take the (A) during the off-peak. Yeah, trains shouldn't even be crowded during the off hours. Maybe it could be because of Manhattan or something.

You think I'm the so-called fan of the subway that I once was? Not anymore. And not even in the slightest either. I go from experience when it comes to ridership, waiting time and construction work. I don't give a ratass about the cars running on whatever lines, unlike you.

Of course you don't, but I care, especially when I'm on a packed train with no damn air conditioning that stinks.  Wanting to ride clean trains with AC and other basic necessities isn't a want. It's a need and I'm glad that riders are trying to get changes made to the system.  The status quo has been for far too long.  Pissy platforms, with garbage all about is not normal, nor should it be accepted, and the same thing goes with those trains from almost 60 years ago.

I don't need to fork over anything.  I along with millions of other riders already give money to the (MTA) which they mismanage.  Asking for new cars is a necessity.  We need cars that are from the 21st century, and thankfully people with common sense that actually aren't subway fans but actually use the damn things for work, etc. understand this. 

Well apparently you don't ride them enough because I've seen plenty of crowded (A) trains during off-peak hours and other trains for that matter.  Trains shouldn't be crushloaded during the off-peak anyway.  The fact that are lines like that just shows how pathetic the subway system is.  A few Sundays ago I had the "pleasure" of riding a packed (D) train as I tried to figure out where my express bus was running.  Was a "fantastic" ride, especially 34th street with the wonderful packed platforms and water leaks everywhere. <_<

The R62s and R68s perform very well and are quite reliable. It would be a misuse of taxpayer funds to replace them. Money would be better spent on more pressing needs like critical repair work.

Of course you don't, but I care, especially when I'm on a packed train with no damn air conditioning that stinks.  Wanting to ride clean trains with AC and other basic necessities isn't a want. It's a need and I'm glad that riders are trying to get changes made to the system.  The status quo has been for far too long.  Pissy platforms, with garbage all about is not normal, nor should it be accepted, and the same thing goes with those trains from almost 60 years ago.

If you feel so strongly about the R32s on the C and how poor their A/C is, email the MTA.

The R62s and R68s perform very well and are quite reliable. It would be a misuse of taxpayer funds to replace them. Money would be better spent on more pressing needs like critical repair work.

If you feel so strongly about the R32s on the C and how poor their A/C is, email the MTA.

E-mailing the (MTA) about an issue they're aware of is pointless.  What riders are doing is taking their issues to those who fund the (MTA) which is what should be done to ensure that funding remains available for those new cars to replace the R32s.  I don't ride the subway that often to really be that active, but here and there in spite of how rarely I actually the subway, I do file complaints when things really annoy me.  I am however VERY active with express bus service because that is what I primarily use, and write to my elected officials regularly. Nevertheless, I have actually written to Governor Cuomo on a subway matter involving the (1) train about service improvements. As for the R68's they should be overhauled at the very least, especially if they are going to be in service for another 10-15 years.

The implication that you lack common sense if you are a fan of old rolling stock is a really f**king idiotic one. And a really interesting double standard, no one looks down on those who are fans of other old things like buildings or cars, but suddenly there's someone who likes old subway cars and they lack common sense?

The implication that you lack common sense if you are a fan of old rolling stock is a really f**king idiotic one. And a really interesting double standard, no one looks down on those who are fans of other old things like buildings or cars, but suddenly there's someone who likes old subway cars and they lack common sense?

Since I have to "clarify", there is nothing wrong with being fans of anything, but there is a problem when people are in denial about things that need to be changed.  How anyone could argue that the R32's should not be taken from service is troubling when the (MTA) has to move them from the (C) to other lines so as not to "strain the air conditioning". The trains belong in a museum, not on the (C) line, and the fact is that all of the older cars are experiencing more breakdowns more often, which leads to more delays and more waiting for passengers.  In the 21st century, these trains need to replaced with modern trains with automated announcements that can actually be heard and another necessities such as air conditioning, better lighting, etc.

I'm a fan of MCI's but I wouldn't be foolish enough to say oh no we can't retire those buses when I've almost passed out on some of the older buses because they had no air conditioning.  That's just completely illogical and immature.  When something needs to be retired, you have to let go and move on and that's the point that I'm making here.

Buildings and cars are rehabbed and restored and are usually historic... Those R32's are just being run into the ground.   They're junk and they need to go.  You can see them at the (MTA) museum.  They can restore one set of cars and reef the others and call it a day.

Besides that one person, no one is disagreeing that the R32s need to be replaced. The trouble is, there was a lot of problems that allowed them to stick around for as long as they did, and while there is a set time for when the cars will finally be put out to pasture, it gets tiring to listen to the same complaints over and over. It's the same as someone bragging about what they did - it might be something awesome, but going on and on about it does nothing to endear you to others. In much the same way, you are not incorrect about the R32s needing replacing, but bringing the topic up again and again doesn't make their replacements come along any quicker than if you sat quietly and patiently waited.

But I stand by what I said with regards to the R62 and R68 cars. They have 10-15 years of design life left, and the idea that someone who recognizes this lacks common sense is just incorrect. It would simply not make financial sense to unload the cars when by all accounts they are still decently reliable. It is worth nothing that in other parts of the world, much older rolling stock has been retrofitted with systems for clear, concise visual displays and automated announcements, so if the (MTA) really wanted to, there's not much that prevents them from doing so. And if they cleaned the light installations every now and then, the cars would be brighter as well...

As for your last comment, it's a far bigger problem than just the state of the R32s. You can be a fan of an old building or car, even if they are in crappy condition, and no one will say a word, but for some reason that's just not the case with old transit vehicles. Being a fan doesn't mean plugging your ears and thinking the cars should run forever, but you still can enjoy a ride on the cars, and if you told the average person that, they would look at you like you had grown two heads (as I have found out from reading loads of comments sections for newspaper articles).

Archived