R44 and R46 differences

R3216068E

So guys I was just wondering what are some good differences between the R44s and R46s I know the R44s would always fart before leaving the station but can you point out some other differences

here are some R46 pics

2015-07-10-20-31-10--257014356_zpsyzztw4

2015-07-10-20-31-28-74967876_zpsnh3wjots

images-16_zpsmkcpfupd.jpeg

images-19_zps4ydwgweh.jpeg

images-12_zpspcjw7soa.jpeg

Here are some R44 pics

images-25_zpsrfzrhcst.jpeg

images-11_zpsr0rxeg7u.jpeg

images-20_zpschndonob.jpeg

images-17_zpsnxbaouep.jpeg

images-18_zpsa7qduwxp.jpeg

The biggest thing was the cab door. (44: Small and swings in; 46" slides like all the other end doors). Also, the 44 cab is smaller, and the 46 added space to the cab by taking away a seat outside.

After GOH, the 44's still had the glass shields nxt to the doors, while for the 46's, they were removed.

A noticable difference is the top of the door sills. Th R46 is rounded and the R44 is not.  Also on the inside of the R44SI there are stress cracks from doors to the top hinge of the door panel used to house door controls.  I noticed on the R46  this was eliminated by the addition of a horizontal crease from the door to the door panel.  I assume this issue was also happening on the R44 subway version given the R46s were modified.  Also I read back in the 70s that the R46s are a foot longer than the R44s.  There is an additional seat at the ends I think.

R44 and R46 are the same length. The extra seat in the R44 comes from the smaller cab.

Yes, the mainline R44s had the same cracks. Substantially worse in my recollection. 

Some other differences I don't see mentioned:

Lighting fixtures: R44s had a metal brace in the middle of the downwards facing surface of each longitudinal fixture. R46s do not, (except for those fixtures taken from R44s.)

Transverse Seat Arm Rest: There was a (rather uncomfortable) bar over the armrest on R44s. This is not there on R46s (Or 68/68As for that matter) 

Rain gutters: Continuous on R44s, with small round holes for rain to drip through. The R46 ones have roughly 3/4 inch gaps strategically placed. 

That is all that is coming to my mind at the moment. 

Archived