Conductor 6601 Hiring Process

whatisacup
Message added by SevenEleven

40px_exams_nyct.png.f72f46e2d83ee90d9d2e075472be7ff0.png

Conductor, Exam No. 6601

List Status: This list has been established as of 2/14/2018.

Pay: Starts at $24.33 and increases to $34.75 in the sixth year of service

Training: Monday thru Friday, across three 8-hour tours (AMs, PMs, overnights), unless otherwise specified.

Highest List Number Called: For initial Pre-Employment: (4800's) - For Medical: (Last Known - 3470's)

Next Training Class: Unknown

Resources:

(Updated January 16, 2022)

49 minutes ago, Sammohung said:

Finally cleared pre-employment and got sworn in and fingerprinted yesterday.

My list number was in the low 2600s. If anyone wants to hear the horror story of what happened, here's a basic summary and timeline.

I got my e-mail for canvassing late June. I went in mid July for initial pre-employment, only to be placed on medical hold due to the fact I was seeing a mental health professional awhile back.

Between mid July and early September, I was placed on medical hold. My primary care physician didn't help with getting me a referral for a mental help professional for the evaluation NYC Transit was requiring. I spent a month trying to find one available in the NYC area who would take my insurance. I eventually had to settle on paying out of pocket for one.

During the process, I got dropped off the list as well. It took two weeks of contacting various NYC government e-mail addresses, and then someone at NYC Transit Employment Operations to be re-instated onto the list, then be contacted again to try to clear my medical hold. I was sent in to be evaluated by a NYC Transit doctor, who recommended I complete a counseling course for at least one month.

One month into the counseling course, I contacted them to get documentation stating I did everything that was asked of me, and I was an active particpant in the course. Of course, with my luck, my case manager wasn't on top of anything, and I had to go to her Manager to get the documentation I needed 2 weeks later. 

I went to 180 Livingston 2 weeks ago, just to be turned away when I was told what I was submitting was a copy of my birth certificate and they wanted an original. The previous times I had my paperwork checked by Employment Operations, none of their staff members said anything about my birth certificate. 

Today,I went in at 8:45am, was given my ticket at the front, and told to go to Station 3. I get to Station 3, sign in, and was told to have a seat and wait to have my name called. I waited until 2:30pm asking a staff member what was going on. Apparently, whoever I saw at Station 3 completely forgot about me. Being too patient was a bad idea. After finishing the paperwork and getting sworn in, I was told to go back to Station 3 to get a ticket to get fingerprinted, and I started filling out my part of the money order where it asks for name and address. The same lady at Station 3 from the morning berated me for filling out the money order. 

I get to fingerprinting eventually, the staff member told me to just fill out the part I had already filled out and got yelled at for. (what the f**k?)

Today was a real test of patience for me. I was probably at that office 4 hours longer than I had to be. But the whole time all I could think was "this is worth it, I need this job badly".

From getting my canavassing letter in late June, to finally being sworn in today and given my training date for December 6th, I can say it was an extremely frustrating process for all the hoops I had to jump through, all the calls I made to their office, and all the ridiculousness I had to deal with since being placed on medical hold.

Only took a bit over 5 months, but I made it. A big thank you for everyone who has posted helpful information on this post. 

They gotta test your patience for the real world, they're watching how you react through the stress making sure you're ready for the real deal. But congrats bro or sis you deserve this chance any questions I'm here to help with anything.

• Replies 9.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, Sammohung said:

Finally cleared pre-employment and got sworn in and fingerprinted yesterday.

My list number was in the low 2600s. If anyone wants to hear the horror story of what happened, here's a basic summary and timeline.

I got my e-mail for canvassing late June. I went in mid July for initial pre-employment, only to be placed on medical hold due to the fact I was seeing a mental health professional awhile back.

Between mid July and early September, I was placed on medical hold. My primary care physician didn't help with getting me a referral for a mental help professional for the evaluation NYC Transit was requiring. I spent a month trying to find one available in the NYC area who would take my insurance. I eventually had to settle on paying out of pocket for one.

During the process, I got dropped off the list as well. It took two weeks of contacting various NYC government e-mail addresses, and then someone at NYC Transit Employment Operations to be re-instated onto the list, then be contacted again to try to clear my medical hold. I was sent in to be evaluated by a NYC Transit doctor, who recommended I complete a counseling course for at least one month.

One month into the counseling course, I contacted them to get documentation stating I did everything that was asked of me, and I was an active particpant in the course. Of course, with my luck, my case manager wasn't on top of anything, and I had to go to her Manager to get the documentation I needed 2 weeks later. 

I went to 180 Livingston 2 weeks ago, just to be turned away when I was told what I was submitting was a copy of my birth certificate and they wanted an original. The previous times I had my paperwork checked by Employment Operations, none of their staff members said anything about my birth certificate. 

Today,I went in at 8:45am, was given my ticket at the front, and told to go to Station 3. I get to Station 3, sign in, and was told to have a seat and wait to have my name called. I waited until 2:30pm asking a staff member what was going on. Apparently, whoever I saw at Station 3 completely forgot about me. Being too patient was a bad idea. After finishing the paperwork and getting sworn in, I was told to go back to Station 3 to get a ticket to get fingerprinted, and I started filling out my part of the money order where it asks for name and address. The same lady at Station 3 from the morning berated me for filling out the money order. 

I get to fingerprinting eventually, the staff member told me to just fill out the part I had already filled out and got yelled at for. (what the f**k?)

Today was a real test of patience for me. I was probably at that office 4 hours longer than I had to be. But the whole time all I could think was "this is worth it, I need this job badly".

From getting my canavassing letter in late June, to finally being sworn in today and given my training date for December 6th, I can say it was an extremely frustrating process for all the hoops I had to jump through, all the calls I made to their office, and all the ridiculousness I had to deal with since being placed on medical hold.

Only took a bit over 5 months, but I made it. A big thank you for everyone who has posted helpful information on this post. 

Congrats on getting hired! I’m sorry you had to go through such a rough time. It is worth it. I was hired in March and I love it. You have to have tough skin throughout the process and your time working here. What you went through will never happen again , but schoolcar is a different beast in and of itself. Best of luck and hope to see you on the road!

12 hours ago, Destiny101 said:

I didn't receive a notice for Medical but I did get an appointment for a conditional employment offer...What is that?

What your list number around because that mean 

they believe your list number won’t make the final deadline so they giving you option to do something else 

12 hours ago, Schecter said:

They gotta test your patience for the real world, they're watching how you react through the stress making sure you're ready for the real deal. But congrats bro or sis you deserve this chance any questions I'm here to help with anything.

Nah; they just have poor organization down at Livingston 

3 hours ago, MarkGuy said:

Nah; they just have poor organization down at Livingston 

A bit too much bureaucracy as well, but I guess that comes with anything city or state run. But from my experience with all the visits I've had to make there this year, is that the majority of the time there we spend there is sitting around and waiting. If they could let us submit paperwork electronically, that would speed up a lot, or maybe cut down on how many people need to physically go in.

• Harry unfeatured this topic
6 hours ago, MPDOG said:

Maybe, if they don’t reach enough candidates to solve the manpower shortage; it sounds feasible to me.

After going through Induction this week, sounds like they're going to still be doing a lot of hiring. We had about 24 or 25 Conductors in our class, which was one of the smallest ones this year.

I apologize in advance if I'm going to ask a dumb question. So I went in for the sleep study on 10/16 and just got back from the Dr's after going over the results and I do in fact have a moderate case of sleep apnea. Was told that I'll be getting my CPAP machine in a couple of days. Does this mean that I cleared my medical hold? Or do I have to wait to email HR once I go back in 2 months after using the device to be considered cleared? 

Just now, ronZO215 said:

I apologize in advance if I'm going to ask a dumb question. So I went in for the sleep study on 10/16 and just got back from the Dr's after going over the results and I do in fact have a moderate case of sleep apnea. Was told that I'll be getting my CPAP machine in a couple of days. Does this mean that I cleared my medical hold? Or do I have to wait to email HR once I go back in 2 months after using the device to be considered cleared? 

The doctor at the MAC should have told you what you need. You have to use the CPAP machine for 30 days or however long they told you to use it and bring in the results.

38 minutes ago, Jericho said:

The doctor at the MAC should have told you what you need. You have to use the CPAP machine for 30 days or however long they told you to use it and bring in the results.

He prob did but must've been too bummed out to hear anything else after he said I was going to be put on medical hold lol thanks for the fast reply! 

@ronZO215 I have the same issue. I was told 100 days from my medical date to clear the hold. It took almost all of that time to get my sleep and cpap titration studies done. All I did was email them the results of both studies. I sent that email over a week ago but no response yet. My 100 days is up on 12/17 so I think I'll just show up at 180 and figure out what the deal is.

25 minutes ago, TraDon said:

@ronZO215 I have the same issue. I was told 100 days from my medical date to clear the hold. It took almost all of that time to get my sleep and cpap titration studies done. All I did was email them the results of both studies. I sent that email over a week ago but no response yet. My 100 days is up on 12/17 so I think I'll just show up at 180 and figure out what the deal is.

Did you try calling anybody to see what's going on?

This whole thing is so confusing. I get my results back to them via email before my final medical hold day and get an email on the final medical hold day to come back in for drug testing. MAC says my medical hold has expired so I need to visit HR. HR doesn't have me on their list to come in today but has someone with my same last name and first initial. Maybe it was clerical error? This whole thing is backwards.