Conductor 6601 Hiring Process

whatisacup
Message added by SevenEleven

40px_exams_nyct.png.f72f46e2d83ee90d9d2e075472be7ff0.png

Conductor, Exam No. 6601

List Status: This list has been established as of 2/14/2018.

Pay: Starts at $24.33 and increases to $34.75 in the sixth year of service

Training: Monday thru Friday, across three 8-hour tours (AMs, PMs, overnights), unless otherwise specified.

Highest List Number Called: For initial Pre-Employment: (4800's) - For Medical: (Last Known - 3470's)

Next Training Class: Unknown

Resources:

(Updated January 16, 2022)

• Replies 9.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 minutes ago, TheFifthLetter175 said:

I can't believe they are still keeping this active. I just got a notice to take an OPA exam. Does anyone know how I can remove myself from consideration?

Call this number (347) 643-8215

8213 8214 etc 

or Don’t go 

Hey everyone,

I just got my notice to come in for the OPA. Can anyone give me any info on what to expect in the OPA as well as info on when I might actually start the first day of work if all goes well.  My list number was in the 3,000s. I also have a few questions if any of you don't mind answering:

-Starting pay rate and how long does it take to get to the top pay rate?

-How easy is it to change jobs internally once hired?

-What are the schedules like? I am fine with whatever it ends up being but I have two young kids including a newborn and I'd like to at least have a schedule that is consistent and set, not always changing..

- And those of you that are conductors, how do you like the job? Best part/worst part? :)

Thanks so much! 

50 minutes ago, Roro said:

Hey everyone,

I just got my notice to come in for the OPA. Can anyone give me any info on what to expect in the OPA as well as info on when I might actually start the first day of work if all goes well.  My list number was in the 3,000s. I also have a few questions if any of you don't mind answering:

-Starting pay rate and how long does it take to get to the top pay rate?

-How easy is it to change jobs internally once hired?

-What are the schedules like? I am fine with whatever it ends up being but I have two young kids including a newborn and I'd like to at least have a schedule that is consistent and set, not always changing..

- And those of you that are conductors, how do you like the job? Best part/worst part? :)

Thanks so much! 

The OPA is the Oral Proficiency Assessment  they show you pictures of scenarios and they ask you what you would do in that situation.

Not sure of the starting rate when I was a conductor back in 2020 a year in the rate was 24.74, I'm now a train operator so not sure. It takes 5 years to reach top pay.

It's easy just need to take exams for certain titles like if you wanted to go from conductor to train operator or from conductor to ATD (Assistant Train Dispatcher).

The schedule is all over the place until you get to pick a job, so your tours and days off can change week to week.

The best part that was for me was the learning experience, the benefits and the pay. Worst part was dealing with the schedule changes and dealing with irate customers that's why I moved to the front even though I still got to deal with the schedule changes.

17 minutes ago, Schecter said:

The OPA is the Oral Proficiency Assessment  they show you pictures of scenarios and they ask you what you would do in that situation.

Not sure of the starting rate when I was a conductor back in 2020 a year in the rate was 24.74, I'm now a train operator so not sure. It takes 5 years to reach top pay.

It's easy just need to take exams for certain titles like if you wanted to go from conductor to train operator or from conductor to ATD (Assistant Train Dispatcher).

The schedule is all over the place until you get to pick a job, so your tours and days off can change week to week.

The best part that was for me was the learning experience, the benefits and the pay. Worst part was dealing with the schedule changes and dealing with irate customers that's why I moved to the front even though I still got to deal with the schedule changes.

I’m also switching to train operator 

waiting for pre employment

list they on 3400s

im 3900s

1 hour ago, Schecter said:

Wow that's cool you moved to train operator! I'd actually much rather be a train operator as well. I see you were a conductor in 2020. Do you think since they are in need of so much staff that it's possible to do quickly? I also have a graduate degree and am possibly interested in doing something on the admin side that is more of a  9-5 Mon-Fri if that exists :) 

What is your pay at now as a operator if you don't mind me asking? I see they make more than conductors but not sure how much more.

Thanks so much for getting back to me! 

1 hour ago, Gullys said:

I’m also switching to train operator 

waiting for pre employment

list they on 3400s

im 3900s

Nice! That's actually what I want to do as well. How long have you been a conductor for? And how long do you think it would take for me to make the switch? 

I am perfectly happy being a conductor but I'd also like to see what other options there are if all goes well and I am hired. The dispatcher stuff sounds interesting as well. 

Do the severe staff shortages speed the process up for hiring and changing positions? 

Thanks !

15 minutes ago, Roro said:

Wow that's cool you moved to train operator! I'd actually much rather be a train operator as well. I see you were a conductor in 2020. Do you think since they are in need of so much staff that it's possible to do quickly? I also have a graduate degree and am possibly interested in doing something on the admin side that is more of a  9-5 Mon-Fri if that exists :) 

What is your pay at now as a operator if you don't mind me asking? I see they make more than conductors but not sure how much more.

Thanks so much for getting back to me! 

Pay now when i was in school car was 36 an hour , I've been out since October and its now 37 an hour

Edited by Schecter
Grammar lol sorry

16 minutes ago, Roro said:

Wow, operator is 36 an hour, that's great. Conductors start around 24 or so, correct? 

thanks 

I am currently waiting on conductor medical 

428x 

and they on 4230 something

but I am not planning on staying as a conductor 

48 minutes ago, Roro said:

Wow, operator is 36 an hour, that's great. Conductors start around 24 or so, correct? 

thanks 

When I ended in 2020 the pay was 24.74 an hour it went up but idk the actual rate for conductor now if you want look up twu local 100 new contract and look at the page wage scale and it'll give you a better idea, try to move up as fast as you can tier 6 is garbage if you have any questions ask me and I'll be more than glad to help my future brother or sister out. Happy new years to you all!

1 hour ago, Roro said:

I also have a graduate degree and am possibly interested in doing something on the admin side that is more of a  9-5 Mon-Fri if that exists :) 

You can find all the MTA jobs that do not require an exam here: https://new.mta.info/careers

There are many links there so just read through it. You can apply to these jobs with a resume, if it requires one, and go from there.

1 hour ago, Schecter said:

When I ended in 2020 the pay was 24.74 an hour it went up but idk the actual rate for conductor now if you want look up twu local 100 new contract and look at the page wage scale and it'll give you a better idea, try to move up as fast as you can tier 6 is garbage if you have any questions ask me and I'll be more than glad to help my future brother or sister out. Happy new years to you all!

I just checked the TWU site and it says as of 5/21 pay rate is 33.8 . is that the starting rate ? If so , that's great. 

Thanks ! 

21 minutes ago, Roro said:

I just checked the TWU site and it says as of 5/21 pay rate is 33.8 . is that the starting rate ? If so , that's great. 

Thanks ! 

When you get hired they'll explain the rate in full details when I got hired for train operator last year they had us do orientation via a zoom meeting so ace that OPA they'll record your answers tbh just use common sense in the scenarios they ask you. They'll show you a picture and be like so what would you do if you saw or encountered this situation and they'll show you a picture of a certain situation and just answer honestly. Tbh think about the job and how you would react if you were already a conductor.

18 hours ago, dman1455 said:

What's your list number range, if you don't mind me asking.

I stopped following anything in regards to this job since it's been so long. 

Out of curiosity I went to the open data NYC site. Seems my list number was 5,75x

Edited by TheFifthLetter175

curious if anyone can share process if i were to come off medical hold. they sent me home after the medical. still have my application. if i were have to completed that day would i have been hired that day if everything checked out? or do they have you come back again. thanks in advance for all advice

407*

13 hours ago, Schecter said:

When you get hired they'll explain the rate in full details when I got hired for train operator last year they had us do orientation via a zoom meeting so ace that OPA they'll record your answers tbh just use common sense in the scenarios they ask you. They'll show you a picture and be like so what would you do if you saw or encountered this situation and they'll show you a picture of a certain situation and just answer honestly. Tbh think about the job and how you would react if you were already a conductor.

Cool, thanks for the advice :) 

7 hours ago, sc32 said:

curious if anyone can share process if i were to come off medical hold. they sent me home after the medical. still have my application. if i were have to completed that day would i have been hired that day if everything checked out? or do they have you come back again. thanks in advance for all advice

407*

If you passed the medical, you would've been sworn in that day barring classes getting filled up.

7 hours ago, Roro said:

Hey all,

Can anyone let me know if this pay scale from the TWU 100 website is the top pay, mid-pay, or starting pay for each position.

Thank you! 

http://www.twulocal100.org/sites/twulocal100.org/files/wage_rates_2019-2023.pdf

It's top pay.

On 1/4/2022 at 4:22 PM, Roro said:

Hey all,

Can anyone let me know if this pay scale from the TWU 100 website is the top pay, mid-pay, or starting pay for each position.

Thank you! 

http://www.twulocal100.org/sites/twulocal100.org/files/wage_rates_2019-2023.pdf

I'm currently in training as Conductor. Starting pay from training is $23.6731 an hour. This doesn't include night time/weekend differential. Weekend differential is the same rate as night time, but they don't double up. So if you worked 1800 hours to 0500 (6:00 PM to 5:00 AM) hours between Saturday and Sunday, you would only get the differential bonus once, not twice unfortunately.