Conductor 6601 Hiring Process

whatisacup
Message added by SevenEleven

40px_exams_nyct.png.f72f46e2d83ee90d9d2e075472be7ff0.png

Conductor, Exam No. 6601

List Status: This list has been established as of 2/14/2018.

Pay: Starts at $24.33 and increases to $34.75 in the sixth year of service

Training: Monday thru Friday, across three 8-hour tours (AMs, PMs, overnights), unless otherwise specified.

Highest List Number Called: For initial Pre-Employment: (4800's) - For Medical: (Last Known - 3470's)

Next Training Class: Unknown

Resources:

(Updated January 16, 2022)

22 minutes ago, MarkGuy said:

Honestly, that's why I don't like rule 9.01. We need our c/r's and they play a critical role, but I can't help but feel annoyed sometimes that they are considered "in charge" of the train when in revenue service.

As train ops, we already have to do most put ins on our own, prepare the c/r position on our own, set them up to even be able to open door and unlock the doors for them. We move the train, but we aren't in charge of it?

I know it comes from the railroad way of doing things. But still, it's silly to me.

What are the best suggestions for new conductors in communication with you guys? What do you want to know from them and what do you want to hear or not hear from them when working together?

• Replies 9.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
24 minutes ago, Milano said:

What are the best suggestions for new conductors in communication with you guys? What do you want to know from them and what do you want to hear or not hear from them when working together?

All I'll say is, before jumping to pull to pull cord, please try hitting me up on the IC first. That often fixes a lot of issues.

2 hours ago, Milano said:

At the end of the day we all have a job to do and rules must be followed. My advice to you is to know your rules/bulletins, use common sense, CYA, keep in mind you never know who’s riding your train, and *try* to establish good communication with your partner. I put the try like that because once you get down here you’ll see we work with all different types of personalities.

Know your job everything doesn’t have to be put on the radio, but like I said you never know who’s riding your train. 

19 minutes ago, Schecter said:

Nope, most of them begins at 7am.

Thank God for that.  My commute is insane and I'll be driving in for those late ones. And I'm already used to waking up at 4/5AM

11 minutes ago, Bolo said:

Tomorrows class is virtual via zoom 

Yes I know.. But thanks for the reminder because I'm sure it's possible people forget 😊

Edited by Milano

11 hours ago, Comrade96 said:

Got in contact with Olha, they said theyd contact me soon about rescheduling my drug test and then hopefully soon another medical. Fingers crossed I get done with this all by the end of the month

Hopefully, I just did my 2nd pre employment/ drug test on 8/1 , I’m hoping I get called before my 90 day expiry on my 2nd drug test.

Listen people! I see everyone is looking forward to becoming a conductor. If you were on medical hold because of your size or maybe you are a big person. Start exercising and stretching. If you cannot climb up on the train, you will not become a conductor. Be honest with yourself, you will need the strength of your arms and legs to pull yourself up. When was the last time you did a push-up? Lay on the floor and get up, if that takes a lot to do, you need to get your body right. I’ve seen the oldest person in our class do it but a much younger, overweight person couldn’t. Go for a 20 minute walk every day, you will be surprised how fast you will loose 20 pounds, I know because I did it and I’m still walking. They show you the easiest way to do it, even short people were doing it. Get your body right.

On 7/31/2022 at 11:07 PM, Milano said:

You guys think PS248 for tomorrow starting class gonna be a lot of 3pm start times? 🤦‍♂️ 

Conductor classes are only PMs, there are some rare days you start in the AM (For Some Test and posting). Other then that, it’s 3-11pm until it’s done. 

9 hours ago, Bolo said:

Listen people! I see everyone is looking forward to becoming a conductor. If you were on medical hold because of your size or maybe you are a big person. Start exercising and stretching. If you cannot climb up on the train, you will not become a conductor. Be honest with yourself, you will need the strength of your arms and legs to pull yourself up. When was the last time you did a push-up? Lay on the floor and get up, if that takes a lot to do, you need to get your body right. I’ve seen the oldest person in our class do it but a much younger, overweight person couldn’t. Go for a 20 minute walk every day, you will be surprised how fast you will loose 20 pounds, I know because I did it and I’m still walking. They show you the easiest way to do it, even short people were doing it. Get your body right.

Do you have to pull yourself up on the train everyday during training? Do they test your speed or anything?

12 hours ago, Bolo said:

So  glad my list number is in 20,000's for this exam and i wont ever be called.  This is just so harsh and triggering for people with body dysmorphia/disordered eating. I hope everyone who wants the job gets it though.

2 hours ago, misslo said:

So  glad my list number is in 20,000's for this exam and i wont ever be called.  This is just so harsh and triggering for people with body dysmorphia/disordered eating. I hope everyone who wants the job gets it though.

It's NYC. Just about everywhere you look you can find some kind of trigger, especially at night 🤷‍♂️

2 hours ago, Diamond718 said:

What is Conductor training like? Schedule? Length of training? Dress code? Thanks in advance! 

9 weeks about, lots of 3-11pm shifts with some 5-1am shifts and 7-3 tossed in. Training is intense but not difficult. It's a lot about being disciplined and aware. Let's face it, the job is 90% opening doors... But that's only 20% of what you'll learn... because a job like this might be routine on the regular but it can go from 0-100 in a second so you need to be prepared in the case of a true emergency. There's lots of things you'll learn that you hope you'll never ever need to do... But it's serious and you need to know it.

11 hours ago, Jeff said:

Im currently going thru the hiring process for conductor exam 6601. They asked me if i had parking tickets open. Is that only for NY or other states as well

Do you have outstanding tickets in other states?  If you do, then yes. If you don’t, then you don’t have to mention out of state tickets. 

41 minutes ago, Milano said:

9 weeks about, lots of 3-11pm shifts with some 5-1am shifts and 7-3 tossed in. Training is intense but not difficult. It's a lot about being disciplined and aware. Let's face it, the job is 90% opening doors... But that's only 20% of what you'll learn... because a job like this might be routine on the regular but it can go from 0-100 in a second so you need to be prepared in the case of a true emergency. There's lots of things you'll learn that you hope you'll never ever need to do... But it's serious and you need to know it.

Thank you!

What about dress code? Are we given uniforms to wear during school car?

15 minutes ago, Diamond718 said:

Thank you!

What about dress code? Are we given uniforms to wear during school car?

Your uniforms are ordered day two... But plan on buying light blue button downs and navy blue WORK (Dickies, red kap, etc) pants to wear a few weeks until they arrive. Make sure they're loose enough to climb a train and they don't restrict your leg movements. Ladies should buy men's work pants for this reason. Also need the boots for the first class... If you don't get the MTA boots in time (you should)... Buy black steel toe or composite toe.. And return them when you get the MTA boots or keep for second pair. And always tuck in your shirt.  

Another note: if you guys need something, SAY SOMETHING. I know there was some moaning from people that maybe couldn't really afford to lay out money for boots. In my class I can think of a few people I barely know that would have paid for someone else until they had their first check. Don't freak out if you can't afford the shit, just ask. We're all in the system at this point and nobody wants to see anyone fail. The only competition here was the written test... We're not competing for anything any longer. Not until the promo exams come out, at least. 🤣

Edited by Milano