Conductor 6601 Hiring Process

whatisacup
Message added by SevenEleven

40px_exams_nyct.png.f72f46e2d83ee90d9d2e075472be7ff0.png

Conductor, Exam No. 6601

List Status: This list has been established as of 2/14/2018.

Pay: Starts at $24.33 and increases to $34.75 in the sixth year of service

Training: Monday thru Friday, across three 8-hour tours (AMs, PMs, overnights), unless otherwise specified.

Highest List Number Called: For initial Pre-Employment: (4800's) - For Medical: (Last Known - 3470's)

Next Training Class: Unknown

Resources:

(Updated January 16, 2022)

6 minutes ago, Milano said:

Don't be anxious. Do what your instructors tell you and study hard. Even if it seems absurd, do it the way they want it done and live with the fact this is how it needs to be. If you struggle with being one of these people like myself who's always looking for a better way to perform their duties, you're going to bump heads often. Just take it how it is and you do you when the probation is over.

I don't think I'll have a problem with that, thank you for the advice though

• Replies 9.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 hours ago, Milano said:

Does anyone know if theres a reference or perhaps a post someone's made with directions/locations of all CRCs and such?

The Union Hall should have given you a QR code where you're able to download the list of the CRC, you can PM so I can send it to you

On 9/2/2022 at 9:57 AM, BigMike85 said:

Depends on which division you’re in. If you’re in B division (maybe 2 months) I understand that it’s longer than A division training. 

As far as if School Car is easy to pass?  Treat it like school. Index cards, study, notebooks, post it’ notes or whatever it takes for you to retain information. You have quizzes every week a midterm, two hands on practicals and a final  

Index cards are good, because you’ll have a lot of waiting around when you actually get on the train, because only one person can go at a time depending on what you’re doing and if you only have one train.  Make it a habit to read the book and become familiar with your job and what they want you to do and be prepared to walk your tail off. 

A tip, you don’t have the job, because they can take it from you at anytime, because you’re on probation. Leave the drama alone and get your job. The concept of opening and closing train doors isn’t difficult, but everything else surrounded where you can get jammed up and get fired is the difficult part. Just pay attention to what they tell you. 

You’ve got this. When they break your class up into a smaller class. Bond with them. Don’t be a loner, because you’re all in it together for the next 10 to 25  plus years depending on when you retire. 

Good Luck

Hey what is difference between a division and B ? Also do you get a choice ?

16 minutes ago, Immortal11 said:

A division are the number lines. Most of the terminals/yards you report to are in the Bronx. B division are the letter lines and you pretty much report everywhere. Look at the subway map to see which division is easier to commute. Schoolcar may give you a choice, but sometimes they throw everybody in the division they need people in.

2 hours ago, Immortal11 said:

A division is the numbers trains and B division is the Lettered trains. Dates back to the olden days of the subways  ring ran by different organizations. 

There’s  also a C division for non revenue trains (work trains, garbage trains ect.), but you won’t get placed there initially. 

If you get a choice good luck to you, but I wouldn’t go in there expecting a choice. It’s quite a let down not to get the division you wanted. B division training is also longer because they have more trains for you to learn and post on. You’ll eventually learn that a train is a train is a train and just remember the differences. 

14 hours ago, BigMike85 said:

There’s  also a C division for non revenue trains (work trains, garbage trains ect.), but you won’t get placed there initially. 

Keep in mind, this thread is for conductors. Their other jobs that they can possibly have are platform, hand switching, and construction flagging.

25 minutes ago, Watato said:

Would anyone know when the MTA renews their lists? I renewed my number back in April but I haven't heard anything yet. I recently sent an email to them but they said I would have to wait until the MTA request a refreshed list.

I'm assuming they're waiting to hire for all 500 vacancies in the current list before they certify a new one. When that happens? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

53 minutes ago, Watato said:

Would anyone know when the MTA renews their lists? I renewed my number back in April but I haven't heard anything yet. I recently sent an email to them but they said I would have to wait until the MTA request a refreshed list.

I would call them at this point, and ask to reschedule your pre-employment and stuff

1 minute ago, Comrade96 said:

I think he meant the certification list from DCAS

Yes and as I stated, I think they're waiting to hire for all 500 vacancies in the current list before they certify a new one which will include Watato and all the other people who had to reinstate their name onto the list.

21 hours ago, Cerealbox973 said:

I’m in school car now and we didn’t get a choice. Everyone in my class is in B division. 

Hey do you know the current list range #s for the current trainning class.. trying to see if there entering the 7###s

I'm list # 71## so should get picked pretty early in the 7000s to come in for medical 

27 minutes ago, Immortal11 said:

What advice would yall have for medical preparation/ and what are some examples that will get you placed on hold/ how to avoid that situation 

If youre on the heavier side, get that sleep study scheduled, if you have any other conditions, ask your physician for all the info regarding them and how youre treating them in paper. OHS is super stringent about this sort of stuff and will ask for documentation 

21 hours ago, Jericho said:

Yes and as I stated, I think they're waiting to hire for all 500 vacancies in the current list before they certify a new one which will include Watato and all the other people who had to reinstate their name onto the list.

So if u reinstate your name on the list they aren’t putting you back on the list?