Conductor 6601 Hiring Process

whatisacup
Message added by SevenEleven

40px_exams_nyct.png.f72f46e2d83ee90d9d2e075472be7ff0.png

Conductor, Exam No. 6601

List Status: This list has been established as of 2/14/2018.

Pay: Starts at $24.33 and increases to $34.75 in the sixth year of service

Training: Monday thru Friday, across three 8-hour tours (AMs, PMs, overnights), unless otherwise specified.

Highest List Number Called: For initial Pre-Employment: (4800's) - For Medical: (Last Known - 3470's)

Next Training Class: Unknown

Resources:

(Updated January 16, 2022)

Hello Mc Fly anyone home??? People who took the test 6,7,8 years ago were delayed in being called because of COVID hiring freeze… It’s called waiting in line. I guess in todays society people just don’t want to wait and have it all given to them right away. You wait your damn turn. 

• Replies 9.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
38 minutes ago, nirv78 said:

Hello Mc Fly anyone home??? People who took the test 6,7,8 years ago were delayed in being called because of COVID hiring freeze… It’s called waiting in line. I guess in todays society people just don’t want to wait and have it all given to them right away. You wait your damn turn. 

And if covid didn't happen and a ton of people didn't also DIE, they'd probably never have gotten around the the 8000-9000 numbers is my point. Freeze or no freeze - they're reaching into the 9000s because people aren't with us any longer.

22 minutes ago, Milano said:

Nobody deserves anything. You get what you earn.

Why does the guy who got a 90 on a test seven years ago deserve more chance than a guy who might get a 105 on it now? Are the candidates from 2016 better people than the candidates coming 2023? C'mon 

6061 is still going because a high number of people died from covid, moved, retired due to covid, found better jobs or otherwise no longer qualify. This list should have been wrapped up a while ago.

IMO, anyone getting in off a list more than 5 years later is due to luck and circumstance, nothing more.

Yes, nobody deserves or is owed anything, not even the top scorers... You get a better score, you get in front of the line, simply on the waiting list.  What you're saying is highly negative... Why not just hire only perfect scorers?  Why give people a 2nd chance when they can't follow simple instructions to pre employment/medical/etc.? So many why's because you accepted?

IMO, anybody scoring a 90 says a lot already, meaning you can understand and can comprehend majority of the stuff, that should be far more than capable for a job and that's what the classes are in place for,  to give you the actually hands on training and further "test" you?? Hence, why you can still get dismissed anytime.... What you're saying is like why hire the first XXX  top list numbers after the class fills up when you can have the test done again with XXXXXX entries and possibly have better scorers?  

IMO, we need more enthusiast people willing to do the job. Of course they need to know what they are doing so I do think everyone deserves a chance, weather it be 5 or 10 years waiting in line, otherwise, again, why not just hire on a class to class or few class basis rather than XX amount of years. 

2 minutes ago, alexx said:

Yes, nobody deserves or is owed anything, not even the top scorers... You get a better score, you get in front of the line, simply on the waiting list.  What you're saying is highly negative... Why not just hire only perfect scorers?  Why give people a 2nd chance when they can't follow simple instructions to pre employment/medical/etc.? So many why's because you accepted?

IMO, anybody scoring a 90 says a lot already, meaning you can understand and can comprehend majority of the stuff, that should be far more than capable for a job and that's what the classes are in place for,  to give you the actually hands on training and further "test" you?? Hence, why you can still get dismissed anytime.... What you're saying is like why hire the first XXX  top list numbers after the class fills up when you can have the test done again with XXXXXX entries and possibly have better scorers?  

IMO, we need more enthusiast people willing to do the job. Of course they need to know what they are doing so I do think everyone deserves a chance, weather it be 5 or 10 years waiting in line, otherwise, again, why not just hire on a class to class or few class basis rather than XX amount of years. 

What I'm saying is factual and I'm sorry facts don't care about feelings. It's an old list. Lists expire.

Edited by Milano

53 minutes ago, Milano said:

Nobody deserves anything. You get what you earn.

Why does the guy who got a 90 on a test seven years ago deserve more chance than a guy who might get a 105 on it now? Are the candidates from 2016 better people than the candidates coming 2023? C'mon 

6061 is still going because a high number of people died from covid, moved, retired due to covid, found better jobs or otherwise no longer qualify. This list should have been wrapped up a while ago.

IMO, anyone getting in off a list more than 5 years later is due to luck and circumstance, nothing more.

What are you on about, Anyone who passed the test is eligible to be hired for this job. I scored a 95 on this test and I ended up with a list number close to the 5000s, are you saying I didn't deserve the opportunity to get appointed?

1 minute ago, dman1455 said:

What are you on about, Anyone who passed the test is eligible to be hired for this job. I scored a 95 on this test and I ended up with a list number close to the 5000s, are you saying I didn't deserve the opportunity to get appointed?

You don't deserve it. You "earned" it. Are you guys all sure you passed the opa to read and understand English?

5 minutes ago, Milano said:

You don't deserve it. You "earned" it. Are you guys all sure you passed the opa to read and understand English?

I don't think anyone even earned this job. You pass a common sense test, get a score, and if you scored the same along with thousands of others your list number is determined either by filing date or social security number, doesn't sound like you earned anything. 

Must've failed my OPA, explains why I'm in track.

I would like to state that the MTA has done a terrible job of explaining the employment hiring process. You take  an exam , you get a score and then you put on a waiting list. If the MTA anticipates that you are not going to be called then they should let you know and stop making the  applicant hold out hope that they have a chance. 

The MTA should lay out the entire process which includes letting the applicant know that they will be required to take a medical exam including the possibility of having to go for a sleep apnea exam instead of making you show up two weeks before your MTA school is supposed to start and then tell you that you have to go for all of these physical exams. It doesn’t make any sense, the medicals should be done early in the process so that the applicant has the opportunity to correct those issues. 

And I’m not even mentioning the amount of red tape that you have to go through filling out millions and millions of forms which require repetitive repeating information that was already provided to them. Feels as if I’m applying for a Secret Service position more than a MTA Conductor position. I guess it’s easier to be elected to Congress (George Santos) than to freaking land and MTA job.

1 hour ago, Milano said:

Yeah and people getting a higher score earned priority on the line of the ones with a lower score. Everyone earned it the same way.

Covid was there so everything is extended, postponed, whatever, not because of luck but because of Covid. That is the normal procedure for unanticipated events such as that.

if anyone is “lucky”, it’s ones that made it in before the cutoff expiration date, weather you got an earlier or later list #.

45 minutes ago, nirv78 said:

I would like to state that the MTA has done a terrible job of explaining the employment hiring process. You take  an exam , you get a score and then you put on a waiting list. If the MTA anticipates that you are not going to be called then they should let you know and stop making the  applicant hold out hope that they have a chance. 

The MTA should lay out the entire process which includes letting the applicant know that they will be required to take a medical exam including the possibility of having to go for a sleep apnea exam instead of making you show up two weeks before your MTA school is supposed to start and then tell you that you have to go for all of these physical exams. It doesn’t make any sense, the medicals should be done early in the process so that the applicant has the opportunity to correct those issues. 

And I’m not even mentioning the amount of red tape that you have to go through filling out millions and millions of forms which require repetitive repeating information that was already provided to them. Feels as if I’m applying for a Secret Service position more than a MTA Conductor position. I guess it’s easier to be elected to Congress (George Santos) than to freaking land and MTA job.

If you think the MTA needs to explain the process - wait til you get the job. They whole process needs to explained and no one ever does.   There’s more rats, homeless people and EDP’s running around than common sense down here. 

45 minutes ago, nirv78 said:

Oh yes and by the way the people who work in the MTA headquarters are nasty individuals. If they dare behave the way they behave in the private sector they would be canned a long time ago. There needs to be more accountability for people’s behavior. 

They’re nasty all over. You get better treatment at a Jamaican restaurant when they ran outta oxtail and curry goat “WE NUH AV DAT!”

55 minutes ago, nirv78 said:

On the flip side, if you scored pretty far from #1, you shouldn't expect to be called in either. The exam notice does state you will be subjected to a medical exam. Transit has no incentive to make things easier for you when there's another person in line behind you willing to go through the process and who can pass the medical and save them on medical insurance premiums.

2 hours ago, alexx said:

Er, there's usually an exam every four years or so. Otherwise they could very well continue to hire from the previous conductor list (which was already extended by EIGHT years by the way) and leave people who took this exam hanging. So be careful what you wish for. As to what you've previously wrote. Before the pandemic hit, Transit already instituted a hiring freeze. They don't have to hire anyone if they don't want to. 

If the MTA can expect applicants to fill out tons of paperwork for a job opportunity then they should at least have the decency to send a single letter or email just simply outlaying the steps regarding the process. I don’t think it’s that much to ask for. 

Once again I’m gonna say that the medicals should be done a lot sooner in the process to give applicants the opportunity to rectify the issues.  As far as I know the applicant has to either spend their own money or use their current insurance to go to their private primary doctor to address these issues and the MTA is not paying for that. 

My apologies I didn’t realize I was supposed to save the government on insurance premiums that have an unlimited expense budget to give people free medical insurance, schooling and housing that don’t even belong to this country. 

6 minutes ago, nirv78 said:

If the MTA can expect applicants to fill out tons of paperwork for a job opportunity then they should at least have the decency to send a single letter or email just simply outlaying the steps regarding the process. I don’t think it’s that much to ask for. 

Once again I’m gonna say that the medicals should be done a lot sooner in the process to give applicants the opportunity to rectify the issues.  As far as I know the applicant has to either spend their own money or use their current insurance to go to their private primary doctor to address these issues and the MTA is not paying for that. 

My apologies I didn’t realize I was supposed to save the government on insurance premiums that have an unlimited expense budget to give people free medical insurance, schooling and housing that don’t even belong to this country. 

And once again, you're literally just a number at the end of the day.

Just to make things clear. My list # for this exam is in the 10XXX range. If I ever expected to be called in and get hired for this job, I would be delusional.

Edited by Jericho

My number is in the 6000s and I was called for preemployment which I went to. Then I showed up for medicals two weeks later and was told that I have a multitude of issues not sure about but still need to be checked out including sleep apnea exam which may require 30 days of written proof that I’m using a machine which puts me beyond the start date of my class which is January 9. How can you expect an applicant during the holiday season to get this done in time for the class?? This is why the medical exam needs to be done once your number is established. 

I am a healthy individual and these issues are SPECULATIVE and the applicatnt should be allowed to go to class while having these medical issues addressed by the doctor to see if there is an actual issue. If the applicant does not address the issue with a physician or if there’s an issue during the time period of the class then yes I understand that you should be kicked out but you don’t deny the applicant the opportunity to go to the class after waiting freaking 6,7,8 years!!!

19 minutes ago, nirv78 said:

My number is in the 6000s and I was called for preemployment which I went to. Then I showed up for medicals two weeks later and was told that I have a multitude of issues not sure about but still need to be checked out including sleep apnea exam which may require 30 days of written proof that I’m using a machine which puts me beyond the start date of my class which is January 9. How can you expect an applicant during the holiday season to get this done in time for the class?? This is why the medical exam needs to be done once your number is established. 

I am a healthy individual and these issues are SPECULATIVE and the applicatnt should be allowed to go to class while having these medical issues addressed by the doctor to see if there is an actual issue. If the applicant does not address the issue with a physician or if there’s an issue during the time period of the class then yes I understand that you should be kicked out but you don’t deny the applicant the opportunity to go to the class after waiting freaking 6,7,8 years!!!

Again, Transit is under no obligation to hire you. The hard reality is there is simply no incentive for them to make things easier for you when there's always another person behind you who can go through the process, pass the medical, and fill up the class. I don't know what else to tell you. You can hope they improve things, but this is Transit we're talking about here. lol

The position of conductor is a safety sensitive title. They are not going to allow you anywhere near a train until they can verify you are medically fit to work.

Edit: As someone earlier mentioned. If you're tight about this process now, just wait until you actually work the job. :lol:

Edited by Jericho

7 hours ago, nirv78 said:

I guess in today's society people just don’t want to wait and have it all given to them right away. You wait your damn turn. 

Please be careful of what you say in this public forum. If this continues, warnings will be given, respectively.

2 hours ago, Jericho said:

The position of conductor is a safety sensitive title. They are not going to allow you anywhere near a train until they can verify you are medically fit to work.

Edit: As someone earlier mentioned. If you're tight about this process now, just wait until you actually work the job. :lol:

As far as your first sentence is concerned, I have been a Bus Driver for about six years now, and, every other year, I have to go for a DOT Physical. Passing these physicals, which allows me to drive various Commercial Motor Vehicles (CMV), such as a Tractor Trailer, Coach Bus, etc., is easier than dealing with their MAC (Medical Assessment Center). And, from my perspective, all of this falls under the title of "Safety Sensitive." Therefore, as far as I am concerned, "go figure."

(As an example, with their MAC, a candidate's blood pressure has to be in between 110/70 and 130/90. However, from the perspective of my Primary Care Physician, anything between 100/60 to 140/100 is acceptable.)

As far as the second sentence is concerned, if you look back at the 300+ pages of this thread of what other people have been through after 180 Livingston, which includes School car, you'll see what you have to contend with. Trust me.

Edited by +Young+
Typographical correction & Addition

4 hours ago, nirv78 said:

Oh yes and by the way the people who work in the MTA headquarters are nasty individuals. If they dare behave the way they behave in the private sector they would be canned a long time ago. There needs to be more accountability for people’s behavior. 

So why do you want to deal with them for 25 years? Wait until you meet the crew office. 😂

Edited by Milano

6 hours ago, dman1455 said:

I don't think anyone even earned this job. You pass a common sense test, get a score, and if you scored the same along with thousands of others your list number is determined either by filing date or social security number, doesn't sound like you earned anything. 

Must've failed my OPA, explains why I'm in track.

Hey, in some way or another you earned it.  Some people burned out their brains with drugs and never got that diploma or whatever.. maybe it's basic but the discipline to go take the test and follow through with it and all that... It's earned.. Maybe in an unconventional way.. It's certainly not handed out! And it's not something people "deserve". It takes sacrifice and commitment and a positive attitude in a place that doesn't always reciprocate.

Edited by Milano
Have big mouth, need to keep adding stuff

1 minute ago, nirv78 said:

How dare you say that you’re frustrated waiting all these years for this opportunity for someone else to just say they just want to cut in front of you — YOU’VE BEEN WARNED

I got no skin in the warning game but - who's cutting in front of you? Because I been reading and I didn't notice that part?

3 hours ago, nirv78 said:

If you have sleep apnea they want to make sure that you get that issue under control before you have to work the trains. The reason why is because they call the conductor title one that is "safety sensitive." If you are sleep deprived most of the time, it can cause your focus on the repetitive nature of the position to periodically lapse, which is risky, because those C/R's operate on muscle memory, where a mistake can get you in trouble if it falls out of rhythm. When you're bouncing around NYC as an XX with no stable assignment your quality of sleep will sure as hell matter a lot.